5.0 out of 5 stars A New Who Review, from a Yank's Point of View
Published on 21 May 2005 by Doctor Trance

3.0 out of 5 stars slightly dissapointing.
The DVD took forever to arrive, at least 2 and a half weeks which was a great inconvenience. I am a huge fan of doctor who but these episodes didn't quite hit the spot. Christopher Eckleston is a great doctor but i think that episodes later in the series were much better.
Published 17 months ago by CoolKid12

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Who Review, from a Yank's Point of View, 21 May 2005
Doctor Trance (MA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 1 - Volume 1 [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Having barely seen an episode or two on PBS in my youth, I really got into the series after seeing the 1997 US TV movie. I quickly snatched up every VHS tape, and found every other missing episode and unreleased story on bootleg videos, to obsessively have every inch of existing Doctor Who known to man. I preferred Jon Pertwee's Doc the best, with Troughton and T. Baker next. No need to get into the original classic series, so on with the new one.
Right from the start, I really enjoy Eccleston's portrayal of the Doctor. It seems he really did his homework and seems to have found just the right combination of wit and intellect that made so many previous doctors a success. His quick tongue seems to keep up to the fast new pace of the show. While the longer episode, vintage shows had more time for character development and interaction, in today's fast paced world of 32x fast forward speed DVD capability, you can't have 4 to 6 part episodes and expect to keep people's attention to that one storyline. It worked in the 70's, but certainly wouldn't work now.
Vintage Doctor Who always had great supporting casts and guest stars, and the new series is no different. Rose's boyfriend and mom keep up nicely to the pace and plotting of the show. Simon Callow and the actor in "Rose" who also played in Davies' The Second Coming were both excellent in their guest star turns.
As for the 3 storylines on this DVD, the opener, Rose, sweeps us back into the whirlwind world of Doctor Who that we all know and love. It seems like it nearly skipped a beat since 1989, with only the surroundings and special effects being updated. It also offers enough info to keep a new viewer interested. The opener is very action packed, much more than most vintage Who stories, and I think it has to be in some way to cater to the thrill-a-minute new millenium that we are all now fully accustomed to.
I had seen some sneak preview photos of the Autons before the show aired, and I thought they looked a little awkward and feared they might come across a bit cheesy in live action, however they threw me for a loop after watching Rose, as they looked incredibly lifelike and menacing. Bravo for the special effects wizards who worked on them as they looked brilliant. A superb opening episode to bring us all back into Who!
The 2nd episode kept Eccleston's sharp tongue going, and flew us into an alien space station, complete with just about every new concoction of an alien species one can concoct. Actually, the oddest looking species was the human!! A murderous metallic set of spiders is unleashed on a group of interplanetary oglers, wanting to witness the last moments of Earth. The always fashionably-late-in-saving-the-day Doctor has to come to Rose and everyone else's rescue.
The final story takes us to familiar Who territory, a period piece on planet Earth. 1869 to be exact, and Charles Dickens is giving a Christmas Eve performance of A Christmas Carol that gets rudely interrupted by a gas powered, walking corpse. The sets and costumes are superb, and this 19th century Cardiff set story is a real treat.
There really isn't anything bad I can say about the opening 3 stories, other than the fact that maybe he uses his Sonic Screwdriver one too many times, and the BBC sticks it's big logo over the opening sequence which kind of messes with the nice visual aesthetics. That's it. It is entirely above my expectations and I am extremely sorry to have read that Eccleston is not returning for Season 2. That is a shame, because his Doctor is extremely well played. The BBC must be mad or Eccleston must be mad. Whichever one caused this loss should have their head examined by a real doctor!!!
Can't wait for the second release DVD!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is brilliant, 8 Oct 2005
Mrs. R. Coomber (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 1 - Volume 1 [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I feel sure that the makers of previous series of Dr Who must sit there with their jaws slack with amazement at the budget and technology available to the makers of this series. It is fantastic. One of the things I really appreciate about it is how it hangs together as a series - it bears watching again and again - spot the "Bad Wolf" references, and the conincidences throughout the series. One or two episodes are not as good as the others, but it really works as a series, and it really works as a good piece of entertainment - funny, fast-paced, action-packed and tender, and tremendously moral - with unfashionable messages of loyalty, responsibility, honesty and forgiveness too. The sad fate of the time-lords is not fully explained, and I feel sure we will find out more eventually. This doctor has a guilty secret, and I'm intrigued. The casting is superb, and Billie Piper is an absolute revelation. What a marvellous companion she makes for the Doctor. She is brave and resourceful, and her natural personality is a good foil for the Doctor. In short - marvellous!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start to the new series, 23 Jun 2005
Budge Burgess (Kilmarnock, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 1 - Volume 1 [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I'm old enough to have watched the very first Dr.Who and to have largely abandoned it after Tom Baker left. The hype generated by the new series meant I switched on to see how a 21st century version might play. I was enthralled.
The DVD enhances the television experience. The first episode, with its animated shop dummies, was hardly a leap into originality - it fact, it echoes a previous Doctor's experience. But it combined the familiar and the unfamiliar new faces, establishing a new cast of characters and situation for wholly new viewers, the old guard, and the curious (and I'm not sure where I fit in there). It also translated the Doctor to a world of much newer technology than the older series ever dreamed of - computers, Internet, mobile phones, etc.
Christopher Eccleston is excellent. He stamped his authority and personality from the very first - a lesser actor would have been more hesitant, less original, might have ended up as a pastiche of earlier Doctors. Eccelston plays the part assertively. He steals the show.
Billie Piper? I'm still not convinced. I couldn't believe she'd been given the part, and I don't think she has particularly stamped her personality on the screen. She's a bit too big mouthed and cor blimey to convince.
The stories, however, have been growing in sophistication. They blend some serious science fiction with intelligent drama and a leitmotif of humour. While each of the first three episodes is complete in its own right, they take on a sequential flow, building into integral parts of the whole series. The first three episodes are stand alone stories, but two-parters will follow ... and there will be themes which dog, or wolf, the rest of the series.
The DVD translation is excellent - good visual and sound quality aside, having the first three episodes playing reel-to-reel emphasises the sense of continuity in the series. Watching a fresh episode each week has its quota of excitement and anticipation, but then being able to play the episodes serially enhances your experience and enjoyment and gives the whole series a dynamic, enduring flow.
An excellent start to the series, well performed, well scripted, well directed, well shot, Doctor Who has proved itself capable of capturing the imagination of both audience and the acting fraternity - there are some seriously good actors appearing in the series, not least Simon Callow performing as Dickens in episode three. It's just a shame that Eccleston has opted not to return. Quality television and a DVD to treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Fantastic!" - Autons, Platform 1 and Victorian Cardiff, 27 Sep 2013
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 1 - Volume 1 [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I was a new comer to the series of `Doctor Who' and it was in 2005 that I first encountered the time traveller in his own blue box.

Here on this DVD are the first three episodes of the new series of `Doctor Who' starring Christopher Eccleston as the Ninth Doctor and Billie Piper as Rose Tyler. It is a brilliant start to a new series of stories especially for a younger audience who have never seen the show before. Back in 2005, `Doctor Who' was being revived and it has become more popular today thanks to this first season. These episodes will be cherished and treasured in years to come.

`ROSE'

I found this episode really good to start of the new series as we meet Rose who drives the story forward from getting attacked by living plastic creatures at a clothes shop, rescued by the Doctor, to her curiosity getting the better of her as he wants to find out more about this strange man with a blue box. It's a wonderful start to the series with some lovely performances by Billie Piper as Rose and a great introduction to a new Doctor by Christopher Eccleston and beautifully written by the man Russell T Davies himself. It's funny, fast paced and very clever structured. Just be careful you watch out for plastic dustbins that try to eat you.

`THE END OF THE WORLD'

This is another good enjoyable episode as the Doctor takes Rose to the future in the year 5 billion and witnesses the end of the world where Earth gets destroyed by the sun. It's wonderful to experience how Rose sees through her eyes the future and aliens and the sadness of how her world gets destroyed. The Doctor also has a sadness to him as we get to find out he is the last of his kind - the Time Lords. Another witty script from Russell T Davies and a chilling guest appearance from Zoe Wanamaker who plays Lady Cassandra O'Brien in this story.

`THE UNQUIET DEAD'

The final episode on this DVD is a very scary ghost story set in Victorian Cardiff 1869, as the Doctor and Rose meet Charles Dickens (played wonderfully by Simon Callow) and fight against aliens made of gas who take over the dearly departed at a funeral parlour and become zombies. This episode also features lovely Eve Myles who plays Gwyneth the house maid in the story (who would later go on to play Gwen Cooper in `Torchwood'. Written by Mark Gattis (best known for `League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'), this story sets out to scare the living daylights out of you. But it also a very sweet story of how the Doctor inspired Charles Dickens before his untimely death in 1870.

This is the first of four very good Doctor Who DVD from the new series. For those who've never met the Doctor and Rose and want to meet them, this is the best place to start.

The next story to watch is 'Aliens of London'/'World War Three'.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Fantastic" Introduction., 13 Dec 2009
Kevin Shirley - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 1 - Volume 1 [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
On the DVD you get three fantastic episodes the first three that bought Doctor Who into the 21st century. and gained Doctor Who a new fan base and bought fans of old back to the show. These first three episodes are great. The Autons are back who were last seen in Jon Pertwees era. These first three episodes stay very true very true to Doctor Who tradition you,ve got a story set on earth, a story set in the future , and a story set in the past. Obviously the first story (Rose)sets up the characters. The mystery of the Doctor is still there but episode one is to really set Rose up as a character. And also because of the long gap in the show new fans would need to know who the Doctor is what a Tardis is so this is probably why episode one is very much an who's who and what's what episode of course an invasion breaks out people run and scream and die and it's Rose who saves the day. Once Episode two kicks in its alien overload the destruction of Earth and the doctor is reavealed as the last of his race. it's Doctor Who back to its best. Episode three goes back in time and deals with ghosts and possesed bodies and Charle Dickens puts in an appearance another tradition of famous historical people appearing in Doctor Who.

As for extras there are none. This is the "Vanilla" DVD that was relased while series one was still being broadcast on tv and was set at an affordable price. So for anyone not big on extras this is perfect. Also any new fans comming to the show should start with this DVD.

The menu's are very simple. The theme music to the show with the Tardis travelling trough the vortex and the episode and chapter selections are still screens with the sound of the tardis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing could have prepared us for ..., 11 Sep 2008
Mark Grindell "Mark Grindell" (Driffield, East Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 1 - Volume 1 [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
... and the irony was, for years after the very last broadcast of the old series in the 1980's, it was certain that the most anticipated thing was indeed the next Doctor, and the next season. And we waited and waited.

If we had known what was going to actually happen, we would have all gone collectively insane. How many years?

Several instances of breaking news occurred in that long interval. Always disappointing; time and time again there was news of a revival; the final clincher, so we thought, was the announcement that a particular and unnamed BBC boss assured everybody that the series was all but buried - that on his watch it would never again arise in any form.

But by the time we got to that point, in a bizarre but predictable development, only the BBC was left on the outside; there were fan clubs, writers conventions, hundreds of examples of fan fiction of the very highest standard. Things were moving at quite a pace; and of course we actually had a story about this very thing in season II with David Tennant, kind of in hommage to this unseen army of artists and writers.

Yet with all this creative activity and excitement, I have the clearest memory of another side of that dark space between the seasons; in Western Australia of all places, we would gather from time to time and discuss and debate it all in South Perth; Saturday afternoons with young families and older fans. And sometimes it was mentioned that perhaps... in spite of it all... it was best to leave it be. Oh yes; because in that time period fans had been born and grown up and known nothing of the live transmissions; it was a phenomenon inhabiting the past. Bringing it back was becoming increasingly a most dangerous gamble, and looking more and more difficult, even with the noblest of intentions.

Of course, there was the Doctor Who movie with the astonishing Paul McCann, but that came to naught, or far less than we expected. There was even the rumour (quite false, of course) that Fox had actually bought Dr Who and that the BBC had in doing so maliciously destroyed it. Quite off the track, but then there was no internet and no-one knew anything for sure.

And indeed, simply resurrecting the old series as if nothing had changed would have been dreadful. Don't get me wrong, Sylvester McCoy was one of the very best Doctors we ever had, and in the Big Finish Audio Dramas he is almost unparalleled, having grown tremendously in stature. Yet somehow we all unconciously acknowledged in that tiny group of us in that larger gathering that afternoon, that it was a gracious memory, but not one that would emerge from the deep sleep of happy rememberence, and best left AS a memory.

We were completely and totally, gloriously wrong.

Good grief, no-one, and I mean this, NO-ONE I knew saw this coming. There had been only the very briefest news bite the previous year, and it was not taken seriously, my goodness, by that time everybody had lost count of the false alarms, the endless churning of the rumour mill, and so it was ignored until virtually the last minute, and even then, some Dr Who fans with years of involvement actually denounced it as a hoax.

Then came the actual broadcast, or in our case, we downloaded that torrent that we thought was a joke.

Nothing could have prepared us for what followed!

Rose was a beautiful, astonishing, funny, impossible piece of whimsy that dipped deep into a mythology that we thought was lost beyond recall because we were all so tired by that time; and with genuine new and overwhelming LIFE and brilliance and colour and when Rose ran into the Tardis in the final frames of that famous opening story it was just beautiful; you couldn't help thumping the sofa!

Rose herself was all of us; young (I'm 48 and she made me feel like I was 19 all over again) ready to believe anything, equally skeptical about everything, brave as a lion and scared stiff and just beautiful with it too; Mickey, who was a great character and wonderful to meet; Jackie, charming... and quite a hard character to sum up... and the new Doctor was a bloke we had not heard of much but he seemed equally ready to try anything, from the North, but the other side of Orion, brave, but reckless in a way that we had never seen before, tormented, lonely, friendly, very, very funny, and mysterious as we had perhaps never seen or felt up until that time; the part where he tells Rose who he is, and he can feel the earth falling through space, just alone on this tiny rock; then Murray Gold (and we hadn't heard of him either) sprinkles the magical dust all over the soundtrack and that was it; we were all lost, gawping with sheer disbelief.

As I said before, if we had known what was to come, I don't know how we could have coped, knowing that we would have to wait so long. But it was worth every year; and as it was, this new series did things that not only were completely unknown to Doctor Who, but did things to outrage our previous notions of drama and if that sounds ridiculous, perhaps it's true anyway; because everyone I met who saw it was in approximately the same opinion. By the time the whole thing was halfway through we were convinced that something very strange and wonderful was unfolding.

Oh my, oh my.

Go and hide behind the sofa you lot.

It's back!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Doctor enters the new millennium with panache, 25 July 2005
Beeblebrox (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 1 - Volume 1 [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I don't give a lot of 5-star reviews, but this gets one. Starting from the 1980's reruns on PBS in the U.S., I've watched Doctor Who for a long time - but we haven't HAD any Doctor to watch for an equally long time! This series more than makes up for it.
After watching the first six episodes, I can honestly say that Christopher Eccleston is the best Doctor yet. When we first see him in "Rose", he's apparently just recently regenerated - he makes reference to his face being "not a bad job - except for those ears!" - and shows the same post-regeneration instability and confusion we've come to expect from our Doctors. Which, if you think about it, is similar to the disorientation you'll experience when you see things like the Internet and cell phones in the world of Doctor Who.
Eccleston combines sharp wit with similarly sharp dramatic flair, yet often he shows the same wide-eyed amazement that Tom Baker exhibited.
Billie Piper's Rose is, so far, the typical Doctor companion - easy on the eyes and often getting into scrapes that the Doctor has to pull her out of. But in "Rose", she also saves the Doctor's life - something you couldn't say about most of the prior companions. Some have complained that Piper is a one-dimensional actress, but as the show has developed, she has exhibited a considerable range of skill. So, don't write her off as another screaming, useless companion.
So far, the series has everything - honesty to the original concept, humour, wit, and action. Wit? Yes. Lots of it. The shows are sprinkled with clever jokes (and a repeated meme) which will make you chuckle and sometimes even laugh out loud. You'll also understand why the Doctor has a northern accent...
Oh, yes, and I should mention the special effects. While I will always have a special place in my heart for the foam boulders and rubber monsters of the original series, it's nice to see this show with the effects and graphics it always deserved. Hopefully, they will at some point film some of the scripts Douglas Adams wrote which were never shot because they called for effects far beyond what the BBC (or any network) of the 1980s could produce.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good price, 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 1 - Volume 1 [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Great price! Bought for the nephew who loves Dr who. Was a little stocking filler! Old series but that's Ok

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 1 - Volume 1 [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
The other copy of this that I own did not have the last episode on so I was really pleased when this one was delivered as it completed my set

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Service, 29 Dec 2012
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 1 - Volume 1 [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I love the old episodes and these are some of my favs, the postage was a bit slow, but that was to be expected - it was Christmas

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb2864120)

Doctor Who: Series 1 - Volume 1 [DVD] [2005]
Doctor Who: Series 1 - Volume 1 [DVD] [2005] by Christopher Eccleston (DVD - 2005)
3.69