on 22 August 2006
The Trust MD-3100 USB modem is a sleek little item, not overly beautiful in the looks department but far from ugly and does its job perfectly.

As I've come to expect from Trust; installation was a breeze and the manual walks you through each step with easy to follow instructions and pictures to help guide you. Once the installation is complete your ready to go straight away (Windows 98 requires a restart).

Now if I was to score this modem accurately I'd give it a 4.9/5 and I'll explain why.

1) Its extremely light weight, near lighter than the USB cable in-fact. This causes a problem since my computer is situated below my desk and in-turn the cable has to reach down. Where's the problem you ask? Well due to its weight and the fact that it only has two rubber feet towards the rear of the base I found it sat at a 15° angle, the USB cable pulling downward lifting the front of the unit. This problem was easily solved with a tiny ball of bluetac to keep the front end down (it really is that light n_n). This will probably not affect everyone so it's a very minor quibble.

2) During installation your required to input details to how your modem should access your ISP (Encapsulation type, VPI number, VCI number and Handshake). There is a list of pre-configured ISP's you can choose from which avoids you having to input this data, problem is the list of UK isp's is very small and did not have mine available. This is no biggie as a quick phone call to your service provider and you can get all the information you require, but does take a little from the ease of installation.

3) This package does not come with an ADSL filter, which didn't pose a problem for me personally as I already had one but for someone new or looking to replace all of their previous modem package they'll need to purchase a separate filter.

As you can see my list of `complaints' is extremely small and reasonably insignificant, hence the deduction of a mere .1 from the overall score.

The MD-3100 does what its supposed too and does it well. With a very cheap price tag it's a bargain.
on 28 September 2008
Small & compact is the best thing to say about this modem.

Sometimes takes too long to become 'available' after to boot up.

Those who hate cluttered desptops won't like the fact that the two sortcut icons it places on your desktop are not needed and can't be deleted.

It's a no thrills USB modem...and I'm looking for a replacement.