5.0 out of 5 stars Rock Deluxe!
Published on 21 April 2009 by The Fault

3.0 out of 5 stars Forget the CD, you want the DVD
Published on 10 May 2005 by El Grande

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock Deluxe!, 21 April 2009
The Fault - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: So, It's Like That (Audio CD)
I'm a relative newcomer to Joe Bonamassa, having first come across his music about six to eight months prior to writing this review. Since then I have been buying his back catalogue of albums at quite a steady rate. Sloe Gin was among the first albums I bought by Joe, who always seems to able to mix blues and rock music together effortlessly. Having purchased several albums since, including his latest ("The Ballad of John Henry") I always fet Sloe Gin was his strongest effort and whilst the title track from that song is still easily in my top 3 JB songs, I think "So, It's Like That", the album you see here, is a superior album. To the best of my knowledge this is one of the earliest JB albums (where he is not using the Smokin' Joe tag at least) and he has released quite a few after this, including Sloe Gin.

So what sets this album apart from the rest? Well, first and foremost this is very much a rock album with virtually no hint of blues to be found, with the only real exception perhaps being the title track. This appeals to me because I come from a predominantly rock background. This features some of the most firey and rocky music I think Joe has ever put out. He throws in a couple of softer songs too which are a joy to listen to, such as the beautiful "Waiting For Me". I prefer Joe when he focuses more on the rock aspect of his music because I'm not a big listener of more traditional blues (even though I have great respect for the genre). If you sit on the opposite side of the fence I think this album will offer you far less than say, Blues Deluxe (as the title suggests, a predominantly bluesy album from Joe). As for me, I'm loving this album; in comparion to Blues Deluxe this album could most certainly be called Rock Deluxe! In fact, I enjoy every JB album I've ever bought (which will soon be his entire catalogue).

Would I say "So, It's Like That" is my favourite JB album? Well, I'd say it's definitely in the Top One! 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars joe bonamassa the early years - 'So It's Like That', 27 Jun 2009
Mrs. A. Sylvester (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: So, It's Like That (Audio CD)
Although one of his early recordings, already his great ability as a showman and guitarist is there for all to hear. More Rock than Blues but excellent all the same. Joe never disappoints and just keeps on getting better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different but good, 2 Jan 2011
Lucioperca (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: So, It's Like That (Audio CD)
JB appears to have taken a completely different musical journey on this album and there are less southern bluesy influences running through the sound. Its a good album, I like most of the stuff on here but its not Joe at his best. I wanted to give it 3 and a half stars but I can't, so in the end I gave it 4.

It just doesn't quite grab me in the same way that other JB albums have. Again as a late comer to JB, I have heard some of his music on the wrong order and I was surprised to find just how different his studio version of Mountain Time is in comparison to the truly stunning live version that his is renowned for. In a way I am glad they are so different, you get two songs in one. This wouldn't be an album I would choose to get someone into Joe Bonamassa ... but once you have made the leap of faith, you will want to buy this album and it is worth owning.

3.0 out of 5 stars Forget the CD, you want the DVD, 10 May 2005
This review is from: So It's Like That (Audio CD)
A cryptic title perhaps, but here`s the deal: Make sure you get the limited edition version of this CD, then throw it away (after you`ve recorded Pain and Sorrow, 10 minutes and 30 seconds of musical perfection), and take a look at the DVD you get as part of the package ( A New Day Yesterday, Live 12/21/01). This is an entire Bonamassa concert, capturing the man at his very best. From the opening power chord that introduces "Cradle Rock" to the final feedback at the end of "Had To Cry Today", this is heavy blues-rock as it should sound. The fretwork on "A New Day Yesterday" is unbelievable, and he even manages to out-Hendrix Hendrix with his take on "Are You Experienced?". Although this particular track is somewhat ruined by the dancing girls on stage who seem to be very, very friendly with one another, if you know what I mean ;).They distract one from the music somewhat. Other highlights include a blistering "If Heartaches Were Nickels" and a great bass solo on "Don`t Burn Down That Bridge". Downers? Not many. There`s a bloody drum solo of all things at the end of "I Know Where I Belong"; "Stepping Out/Rice Pudding" fails to inspire and "Miss You Hate You" is AOR Rock Radio freindly garbage at it`s worst (although he almost rescues it with yet another great solo at the end).
There is a CD version (soundtrack I suppose) available, but you miss out on the three final tracks, so it`s well worth checking out the DVD, particularly if you have a nice loud home theatre system.
Rock On!

3.0 out of 5 stars Have heard better from him., 13 Jan 2005
M. de-layen Vian "M5dlv" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: So It's Like That (Audio CD)
JB great guitarist, not a bad voice. BUT this album misses the mark a bit for me. I bought it post "had to cry today" which blew me apart. This is good to collect, but I will play it once every couple of months, Had to cry today stays in the car...

4.0 out of 5 stars Music review, 20 Nov 2009
M. Lawrance (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: So, It's Like That (Audio CD)
Got hooked on Bonamassa a couple of years ago and have been building up my collection. Good for early years and traces development musically. Don't expect the finesse of later years' numbers but still a good listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome rock album!!, 19 May 2013
David Ray - See all my reviews
This review is from: So It's Like That (MP3 Download)
Not being into blues i've steered away from JB's other albums but If you're a rock fan this is a must, absolutely brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like this, it's great, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: So, It's Like That (Audio CD)
Just starting to build up my Joey B collection. Bought this for the studio version of Mountain Time. How different it is to the live version, but both are great. The whole album is brilliant. Joe B is the most fantastic guitarist if not todays best, with a great rock voice. I wondered who I would go to see when Paul Rodgers and Bruce Springsteen got too old, well his name is Joe Bonamassa. There is a lot to come from this 35 year old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 23 Dec 2009
A. Neil "Andy music man" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: So, It's Like That (Audio CD)
After getting all his later releases and seeing him live four times first time being about four years ago I'm getting into his back catalogue.I've noticed that not only is he a very good guitarist but a fine singer as well and this is a very good album too.

4.0 out of 5 stars This man's good, real good !, 4 May 2013
This review is from: So, It's Like That (Audio CD)
An excellent mix of covers and original material, blues/rock at its finest, JB does it again !
He really captures the feel of blues from a more rock influenced english perspective. Claptonlike if you will.

So, It's Like That
So, It's Like That by Joe Bonamassa (Audio CD - 2009)