4.0 out of 5 stars Best shotgun / rifle mic under £400
I normally save up to buy the best equipment I can afford, rather than buy twice and regret it. So it was with some trepidation that I purchased this for my Sony PCM M10 (see my review of that here http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2D959ADS1DAY6/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2D959ADS1DAY6

Published on 17 Feb 2012 by Chris M. Dooks

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good with a Zoom h4n.
I bought the Rode NTG-2 to record audio into my Zoom H4n, primarily for filmmaking, unfortunately it turned out that this was a poor combination.

Published 10 days ago by Amazon Guy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Best shotgun / rifle mic under £400, 17 Feb 2012
Chris M. Dooks "bovinelife" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews

Well, I can say that I don't regret the purchase. I have other rode mics which are all excellent value for money and quiet. This mic is *brilliantly* directional and sounds good up to a couple of feet away from the unit. It is also very very quiet when using the AA power, so I always use the on-board power (a switch would have been nice rode!) and I may get some kind of grip for it to reduce on board handling noise (all mics of this type suffer from that). The unit just feels very solid and well made. The xlr pops in with a really strong click and the screw tube for the battery is very good - although I wouldn't like to keep screwing and unscrewing that part of the assembly, it requires a gentle touch - and given that you wouldn't want to leave the battery in when not in use, it's the weakest part of the equation.

That aside, this is extremely good value for money, a nice punchy sound - quite warm, perhaps a bit of EQ after, but then again, all my mics need my personal preference EQ. I think it's the best mic on the market under £400.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best choice for a low budget shotgun mic, 27 Feb 2012
For who wants to start to make videos with an excelent sound quality, this is your best choice. The best mid range shotgun mic for an afordable price. Works good as external mic to cameras, but can also be used with a boom pole, to have a good sound quality when you were in small movie production. Can be used with the Zoom H4N to get the best of this microphone. It's the best choice for who is starting with movie production.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent mic that out-performs the price, 23 Nov 2011
This review is from: RODE NTG2 SHORT SHOTGUN MICROPHONE (Electronics)
For years, I used a couple of Beyer shotgun mics for filming which were brilliant. Of course, they were very expensive but `you get what you pay for'. When I looked for a new mic the budget didn't stretch to the £500 - £800 mark so decided to buy the Rode having been impressed with the brand in the past. I am not kidding, I prefer the Rode! It handles sound beautifully, is extremely directional while eliminating unwanted noise and performs faultlessly in many challenging conditions. Yes, there is handling noise so you have to be a little careful to mount it in such a way that this doesn't interfere with you recordings, but that's a small issue and common with more expensive products too. Comes with a foam sock, mount and ten year warranty...which is amazing when you think about the cost you're paying. I've always considered mics an inexact science as there are so many variables. But this Rode mic proves that broadcast quality is available for £150 and I would, without hesitation, buy another. Just a note...buy the NT2 if you can. For the small additional amount, the battery option gives true flexibility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent professional microphone, 29 July 2011
This review is from: RODE NTG2 SHORT SHOTGUN MICROPHONE (Electronics)
The sound quality of this microphone is excellent, with very low noise levels and no apparant hiss.

It will operate on one AA battery OR on 48v phantom power, direct from the video camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rode NTG 2, 15 July 2010
Super quiet directional microphone nearly as good as a Sennheiser ME66,I get best results with my HV30 set to manual audio and the gain level just under half way, I did connect to the camera through a Beachtek XLR connector but the levels were too low so I just connected straight to the camera with an XLR to 3.5mm jack and the levels are much higher. Great service as always through Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent shotgun mic, be wary of the recorder you pair it with., 22 Aug 2013
This is a fantastic shotgun mic, the sound quality is good. The highs aren't to harsh and it gives very natural sounding dialogue. I would recommend saving up a bit more and going for the NTG3 which is far superior but for the price this is a great mic. Be wary of what recorder you pair it with, don't use it with a Zoom H4n, it just doesn't provide enough gain for the mic, even with it at 100.

5.0 out of 5 stars NTG-2 Shotgun Mic, 9 Mar 2013
Purchased this mic to work with my Canon XF100, what a great mic this is! I have only used it with 48v Phantom power so far but the quality is great with the camera so i would recommend this mic to anyone who needs a top class external mic

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good with a Zoom h4n., 23 Aug 2014
This review is from: RODE NTG2 SHORT SHOTGUN MICROPHONE (Electronics)

The Rode NTG-2 is a very low sensitivity microphone and the Zoom H4n has low internal preamps, meaning that I had to turn everything way up to get a decent level of recorded audio, the high levels also meant it started to record audio `hissing', also the microphone will only record in MONO.

If you are buying the NTG-2 to only go with the Zoom H4n, I would not recommend it.
Ideally if you do buy this microphone, use quality preamps or a high gain audio recorder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Microphone, 5 April 2014
This review is from: RODE NTG2 SHORT SHOTGUN MICROPHONE (Electronics)
If you're after a good shotgun mic, this is the one to buy.

I rated it 5 because of the quality, warranty and price. I would recommend this product to anyone who is looking to record some high quality sounds. Would definitely buy again if needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Shotgun., 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: RODE NTG2 SHORT SHOTGUN MICROPHONE (Electronics)
I have been using this with the Tascam DR-40 and have been getting great results battery powered and phantom powered.

There is audible noise when you boost the grain but a better recorder or a inline preamp would fix that and give you more room to boost the gain.

Nice and compact for run-&-gun situations.

I would defiantly recommend this mic for the price. Great for low budget audio.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›