5.0 out of 5 stars Moody minimal clickly lovely, 4 April 2006
Mitya (Nottm., UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FABRICLIVE23: Death in Vegas (Audio CD)
Fabric offerings are so good on the whole, that it's with some weight of thought that I call this the best to date, along with Digweed's Fabric 20. But Digweed's masterful if linear approach differs obscenely from DiV honcho Richard Fearless' "mad scientist" approach, where predictability is a rude word and there is equally a propensity to chuck something away and jump ship to a new direction as to mix traditionally and abley.

FL23 has a definite aim towards your head as well as your body. Genres and tempos incessently switch to make sure you're taking this all in - 'if you want to switch off and boogey go to Ministry'. Indeed, 3 songs from the end, which is normally nicely-progressing-climax territory, DiV's 'Natja' shuts up shop and prods you with hippy-esq quartertones to make sure you're congnitively up to the job.

Logical sectioning of FL23 is a mean feat for any musicologist; a sci-fi-esq beginning, centring on repetitious development of motifs, gives way to Lost in Sound, a gorgeous example of electro sentiment akin to Royksopp's Poor Leno. Cheap Therapy is a teriffic switch towards dirty, bassey house with infectious vocal samples. Alleys of your mind comes out of and goes no where, Marionette is a beautiful minimalist track which which works a sinister motif to a moving climax ala Nathan Fake, and so the changability carries on to the finish.

But it works. Too often variety is cynically used to create something easy to call intelligent and difficult to criticse due to its scope for interpretation. Here, the genre-jumping is notable but not extreme as to be chalk and cheese, and the result is a fascinating, re-listenable mix which has few equals within its category - whatever that is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good electronic fare, 6 Dec 2005
Simon J. Whight "fourfourfun" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FABRICLIVE23: Death in Vegas (Audio CD)
I’m irritatingly pedantic when it comes to mix CDs. Naturally music is about as subjective a passion as anything to give an opinion on, but when it comes to the blending of beats, I know what I want. Beats matched to keep in with 16 bar patterns, subtle blendings that you don’t even know are going on, tracks getting brought in with both first beats of a 4/4 … no bass drum hit being matched with a second beat clap please. That’s just how I am because that’s how I like to mix.
Now DiV’s mixing style reminds me of a very old school philosophy. As if the DJ hears something that he likes in the headphones and quickly slaps across the crossfader so that we, the listener, can hear what he’s hearing. Even beatmatching isn’t a priority when it comes to layering an ambient intro over another track’s beat outro. But consider this, DiV’s resume includes a precursor to the Heavenly Social, a club called Job Club. Such luminaries as Andrew Weatherall and Derrick May were invited to be guest DJ for the evening. But rather than having two Technics to cut a groove on, the DJ was confronted by a humble stand-up hifi system with just the one turntable. The philosophy that it was the records and not the mixing skills that they were there to showcase.
I can see sense in this. I bought a vinyl copy of James Zabiela’s amazingly mixed Sound In Motion and to be truthful, I couldn’t see myself sitting down and listening to 75% of those tracks individually from beginning to end. With DiV’s Fabric mix, each track is a little gem. Ok, every now and again there is a style of blend that doesn’t satisfy my pedant ears (no where NEAR the catastrophe that was the Howie B mix), but where I find myself almost like a mindless Ableton robot, DiV can, say, decide to switch from glitchy tech house to punky electro at will. Freedom.
As a result the mix showcases a grand journey of sounds and electronica, taking in many of my fave artists of the moment such as Alex Smoke and Wighomy Brothers. Tracks that are designed to endure and educate. Thanks to this, I can safely pump this through my ears with a smile on my face.

FABRICLIVE23:  Death in Vegas
FABRICLIVE23: Death in Vegas by Death In Vegas (Audio CD - 2005)