5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to make Spaghetti Junction bearable .....
Published on 1 Jun 2006 by Mr. Thomas Thatcher

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too creamy
Published on 14 Sep 2010 by Duncan McDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to make Spaghetti Junction bearable ....., 1 Jun 2006
Mr. Thomas Thatcher "Tom Thatcher" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream (Audio CD)
It's hard to know what to say about Cream that hasn't already been said a million times, folks. What this very good compilation does is to remind us just how varied they were in their approach, ability and style. Having just lived through the non-stop roaring of Fall Out Boy live (yes, folks, you cannot judge 'em if you don't listen to 'em), I was almost begging for something like Wrapping Paper by the end, so numb were my ears and every other part of my anatomy that hadn't been actually cauterised by the wall of noise. And Cream were not exactly shrinking violets live, either, with Marshall stacks about the size of a small semi in Ruislip and secret weapon Ginge in the background. What is missing nowadays is the light and shade, the variety, the colour, the little details that make music of any hue lasting and even meaningful.

Almost every track here is worth a good listen and some of them are legendary. The live Crossroads is quite rightly thought of by many as the best 4 minutes ever in world rock, and shows what made Clapton so fantastic - not his speed, not his tone, not his style but his TIMING. Ginger's drumming in White Room is just out of this world, as are Jack's vocals, bass and songwriting on We're going Wrong. Anyone lucky enough to have been at the Albert Hall last year will know that this song was an absolute standout. De blooze is represented by Clapton's Strange Brew, nice and understated, Albert King's Born Under a Bad Sign and Crossroads (Robert Johnson, of course, just in case you're from The Crab Nebula). There is also a fair collection of oddities too - Wrapping Paper (odd, to say the least), Anyone for Tennis and scraggs from the end of their career. Classics like I Feel Free (anyone care to rewrite that solo?), Badge and Tales of Brave Ulysses still sound magical, and God, how we all gibbered with delight at Clapton's fills in SWLABR, which still inspire.

I just love Cream. I saw them as many times as I could in the sixties and once in the 05s. They were the most fantastic band on stage and on record, and I just cannot imagine what chemistry boughyt Messrs Clapton, Bruce and Baker together at all in the first place. All this happened in not much more than two years with a crazy tourinmg schedule too - today, Salisbury, next month, America. If I had nothing else on my desert island to listen to except Crossroads, White Room and We're going Wrong, I would be quite happy. I think that Ginger was and is the best rock crossover drummer ever, anywhere.

Now, if you haven't already done so, buy Chris Welch's fabulous book CREAM (Amazon have it), a real labour of love beautifully produced, and the Albert Hall concert from 2005. That should keep you busy for a weekend or two. Pray for rain or that the lawn mower explodes. Nothing should disturb Cream in full cry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cream Of Cream, 6 Nov 2005
pablo "scoon2" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream (Audio CD)
This album contains digitally-remastered favourite tracks by Cream.
What a unique band they were. At home both with pop songs and playing the blues. Great rhythms and always so cool. Most of the tracks have aged well and don’t sound dated in their new digital versions.
There’s Jack Bruce’s powerful bass lines and Ginger Baker’s great stormy drumming and, of course, Eric Clapton, the living legend and probably the best British guitarist ever.
One surprising omission is Spoonful, which was always a highlight in their live act.
There have been many Cream compilations in the past. This is probably the best one so far

5.0 out of 5 stars Creme de la ........................., 29 Oct 2005
J. Bodicoat "Digger" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream (Audio CD)
A great summary of their work (once Wrapping Paper has ended!). Although noted for their live performances they produced some excellent short songs, the best of the crop are all here. Their individual performances can clearly be picked out - in my opinion better than the live recordings. Although I have all of their albums, bought during Cream's heyday, this has been a great compilation to keep in the glove compartment for long journeys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timely reminder of the greats, 14 Aug 2005
Mr. K. Hubbard "kevinatkhco" (Glastonbury) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream (Audio CD)
This is a fine collection of their best studio work. It misses out on some outstanding live performances (e.g.Spoonful), but contains a blistering collection of fantastic music. A must-have if you haven't got anything else by this supergroup.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to like?!, 6 May 2014
It's Clapton - isnt that enough? The man is one of the best guitarists ever to walk the earth. nuff said!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cream of Cream, 22 Sep 2013
Mr. I. Hamer "Mighty Mish" (Southampton UK) - See all my reviews
What can you say Cream of Cream. Quality music from a quality trio. Price was the cream to and quick to get to me

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream (Audio CD)
As good as I remember it when released originally. This group did and still does really thrill me.Buy it now!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too creamy, 14 Sep 2010
Duncan McDonald "Dunk" (Dundee) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream (Audio CD)
A very good compilation of what is probably the first supergroup. I am not a massive Cream fan and bought this to get a better appreciation of their music. In this respect the album works well. However, there is a big difference between the songs made popular by Eric Clapton and some of the 'lesser' known tracks on this album. Noobs might find the album wanes a bit at times.

:0|

3.0 out of 5 stars Plenty Of Cream, Studio And Live., 3 Oct 2012
J. Thompson "Willingale" (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream (Audio CD)
Some of the better know songs, Badge, White Room, Sunshine Of Your Love and I Feel Free are well known to me from Eric Clapton's Complete EC 2 CD collection.
23 studio recorded songs are on CD 1, in chronological order, then it's 8 live songs on CD 2.
Having listerned to CD 1 and parts of CD 2, I have'nt got beyond enjoying the 4 tracks indicated above.
It's all presented with very good production standards and equals well over 2 hours of music, so Cream fans are unlikely to be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 7 Feb 2012
This review is from: I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream (Audio CD)
I love this album as each track has its own unique style, none ae alike which makes you appreciate this band all the more. Fantastic collection of tracks which I enjoy on all occasions, a MUST buy!

I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream
I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream by Cream (Audio CD - 2005)