4.0 out of 5 stars Cream Of Cream
This album contains digitally-remastered favourite tracks by Cream.
What a unique band they were. At home both with pop songs and playing the blues. Great rhythms and always so cool. Most of the tracks have aged well and don’t sound dated in their new digital versions.
There’s Jack Bruce’s powerful bass lines and Ginger Baker’s great...
Published on 6 Nov 2005 by scoon2

3.0 out of 5 stars Plenty Of Cream, Studio And Live.
Some of the better know songs, Badge, White Room, Sunshine Of Your Love and I Feel Free are well known to me from Eric Clapton's Complete EC 2 CD collection.
23 studio recorded songs are on CD 1, in chronological order, then it's 8 live songs on CD 2.
Having listerned to CD 1 and parts of CD 2, I have'nt got beyond enjoying the 4 tracks indicated above...
Published 24 months ago by J. Thompson

4.0 out of 5 stars Cream Of Cream, 6 Nov 2005
scoon2 "scoon2" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream (Audio CD)
This album contains digitally-remastered favourite tracks by Cream.
There’s Jack Bruce’s powerful bass lines and Ginger Baker’s great stormy drumming and, of course, Eric Clapton, the living legend and probably the best British guitarist ever.
One surprising omission is Spoonful, which was always a highlight in their live act.
There have been many Cream compilations in the past. This is probably the best one so far

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to make Spaghetti Junction bearable ....., 1 Jun 2006
Mr. Thomas Thatcher "Tom Thatcher" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream (Audio CD)
It's hard to know what to say about Cream that hasn't already been said a million times, folks. What this very good compilation does is to remind us just how varied they were in their approach, ability and style. Having just lived through the non-stop roaring of Fall Out Boy live (yes, folks, you cannot judge 'em if you don't listen to 'em), I was almost begging for something like Wrapping Paper by the end, so numb were my ears and every other part of my anatomy that hadn't been actually cauterised by the wall of noise. And Cream were not exactly shrinking violets live, either, with Marshall stacks about the size of a small semi in Ruislip and secret weapon Ginge in the background. What is missing nowadays is the light and shade, the variety, the colour, the little details that make music of any hue lasting and even meaningful.

Almost every track here is worth a good listen and some of them are legendary. The live Crossroads is quite rightly thought of by many as the best 4 minutes ever in world rock, and shows what made Clapton so fantastic - not his speed, not his tone, not his style but his TIMING. Ginger's drumming in White Room is just out of this world, as are Jack's vocals, bass and songwriting on We're going Wrong. Anyone lucky enough to have been at the Albert Hall last year will know that this song was an absolute standout. De blooze is represented by Clapton's Strange Brew, nice and understated, Albert King's Born Under a Bad Sign and Crossroads (Robert Johnson, of course, just in case you're from The Crab Nebula). There is also a fair collection of oddities too - Wrapping Paper (odd, to say the least), Anyone for Tennis and scraggs from the end of their career. Classics like I Feel Free (anyone care to rewrite that solo?), Badge and Tales of Brave Ulysses still sound magical, and God, how we all gibbered with delight at Clapton's fills in SWLABR, which still inspire.

I just love Cream. I saw them as many times as I could in the sixties and once in the 05s. They were the most fantastic band on stage and on record, and I just cannot imagine what chemistry boughyt Messrs Clapton, Bruce and Baker together at all in the first place. All this happened in not much more than two years with a crazy tourinmg schedule too - today, Salisbury, next month, America. If I had nothing else on my desert island to listen to except Crossroads, White Room and We're going Wrong, I would be quite happy. I think that Ginger was and is the best rock crossover drummer ever, anywhere.

Now, if you haven't already done so, buy Chris Welch's fabulous book CREAM (Amazon have it), a real labour of love beautifully produced, and the Albert Hall concert from 2005. That should keep you busy for a weekend or two. Pray for rain or that the lawn mower explodes. Nothing should disturb Cream in full cry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creme de la ........................., 29 Oct 2005
J. Bodicoat "Digger" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream (Audio CD)
A great summary of their work (once Wrapping Paper has ended!). Although noted for their live performances they produced some excellent short songs, the best of the crop are all here. Their individual performances can clearly be picked out - in my opinion better than the live recordings. Although I have all of their albums, bought during Cream's heyday, this has been a great compilation to keep in the glove compartment for long journeys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creamed, 12 Sep 2014
GlynLuke (York UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream (Audio CD)
Along with Free, I think Cream were the best British band of the late sixties, and both still sound like two of the best bands ever to wield a guitar, thwack a drum or throw a mic in the air.
Not that Jack Bruce did much tossing of microphones, being lead singer as well as bass player. Nor did he need to, being as he was stupendous at both. I'll try not to make this a Bruce love-in, but I do love and admire the guy more than I can say, this stunning compilation one of the reasons why. Or rather, 23 of the reasons why.
I'm so glad (I'm glad, I'm glad...) the compilers haven't lumped all their hits together at the beginning, as it's good to encounter them as you go along, so Badge is track 21, Strange Brew track 6, etc.
It starts with Wrapping Paper, which at the time sounded a bit throwaway, but now takes its place in the Cream canon as their first single and a compelling song in its own right. In the light of later Jack Bruce compositions - and like so many here it is co-written by Pete Brown - it makes perfect musical sense. For some of us it was probably the first time we'd heard the unique Bruce voice: that high, generous, expressive tenor that seemed to be able to sing anything.
Clapton sings a few of these too, and I've always thought him an underrated singer as well as a superb guitarist. His contributions on these songs as singer, guitar wiz and songwriter are exceptional.
What can I say about Ginger Baker? While others (with justification) go on about Bonham, Moon, or Watts, here is the master of them all. I've never heard such crisply eloquent percussion from any rock drummer before or since. Listen to him on White Room or Strange Brew: impeccable. Like Bruce, he has a jazz background as much as a rock one, and that must have helped. Jack sings like a jazz vocalist as much as a rock singer, and Ginger's stick-work has very much a jazz-inflected sound.
There isn't a single track on this 80-minute selection that isn't worth hearing. Some of the songs sound as fresh as the day they were recorded - nearly fifty years ago in some cases!
Three brilliant musicians, who didn't always get on with each other, came together from 1966-68 and made some of the era's most thrilling, vital, original music. Here's are 23 fine examples of what they achieved.

Thunderously good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timely reminder of the greats, 14 Aug 2005
Mr. K. Hubbard "kevinatkhco" (Glastonbury) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream (Audio CD)
This is a fine collection of their best studio work. It misses out on some outstanding live performances (e.g.Spoonful), but contains a blistering collection of fantastic music. A must-have if you haven't got anything else by this supergroup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream (Audio CD)
As good as I remember it when released originally. This group did and still does really thrill me.Buy it now!

3.0 out of 5 stars Plenty Of Cream, Studio And Live., 3 Oct 2012
J. Thompson "Willingale" (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream (Audio CD)
It's all presented with very good production standards and equals well over 2 hours of music, so Cream fans are unlikely to be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 7 Feb 2012
This review is from: I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream (Audio CD)
I love this album as each track has its own unique style, none ae alike which makes you appreciate this band all the more. Fantastic collection of tracks which I enjoy on all occasions, a MUST buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars ultimate, 10 Nov 2011
N. J. Powell (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream (Audio CD)
takes me back to one of the first LPs I bought and have loved ever since. Fabulous compilation recommended for anyone who enjoys Clapton et al.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Cream, 30 Dec 2010
This review is from: I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream (Audio CD)
Cream - great group, great look etc....

I dont know if any CD could be the 'Ultimate Cream' as such is, of course, subjective, yet this comes close.

Recomended.

I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream
I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream by Cream (Audio CD - 2005)