5.0 out of 5 stars The Sound of the Year
What a voice! A voice which reaches in and grabs you and won't let go.
Within 30 seconds of hearing Missy sing I was scouring the internet, buying everything I could find that she had released. This cd has been playing in my car continuously for a week.
The Sound of White is an extremely mature album for such a young singer, with a superb turn of phrase and...
Published on 18 Jun 2005 by Robert Rhead

3.0 out of 5 stars Go Aussie
It would be fair to say that Miss Melissa Higgins does not have the best voice you will ever hear, nor is she among the greatest pianists on the planet.

However, she clearly has a special talent for writing infectious pop tunes, combined with emotive and heartfelt lyrics, which will seep into your subconscience after only 2 or 3 plays.

Each track is...
Published on 19 July 2006 by Mr. S. E. Gascoyne

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have!, 16 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: The Sound Of White - U.S. Version (Audio CD)
I've just come back from a year in Australia where Missy Higgins is simply huge. I'd heard her 3 singles from the album, 'Scar', 'The Special Two' (which incidently I'm listening to right now!) and 'The Sound of White'. Her sound is defined by the fantastic piano playing, and her lyrics are truly poetic. I bought the album just before I left Australia and since being home I've listened to it everyday. If you have any taste at all, you'll get this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a shot, 19 Jun 2005
This review is from: The Sound Of White - U.S. Version (Audio CD)
If the name suggests hip-thrusting 'R&B' or 'soul' to you, forget it. Missy Higgins is an Australian who combines a wonderfully direct lyrical approach with a Norah-Jones-does-rock piano and guitar woven in perfectly. Like a Rickie Lee Jones mix with Natalie Imbruglia, this album may well be the album for people who buy only a couple per year, now that Alanis has moved into oddness. This is the album people thought they were buying when they bought Katie Melua or KT Tunstall on the strength of the ads. There once was a band called Frente from Australia which bounced through incredible melodies just like this, and the world has missed their touch. Instantly accessible and enjoyable, but with layers which support repeated listening, The Sound Of White may well be 2005's breakthrough.

5.0 out of 5 stars infectious, 22 Oct 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Sound Of White - U.S. Version (Audio CD)
i caught a clip of Missy on Sky TV singing "scar", never heard of her but the tune kept running through my head all weekend. Relanted and bought the album........STUNNING. Great stress buster in the car on the way home from work. Buy it, you'll love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, 1 Jan 2014
Mr. P. Matthews "the woodgnome" (Bradford, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sound Of White - U.S. Version (Audio CD)
Bought this on a recommendation from a friend and haven't been disappointed. Excellent vocals and one of my favourites when listening to music in my car.

5.0 out of 5 stars for every good journey, 6 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Sound Of White - U.S. Version (Audio CD)
I really love Missy Higgins, she is talented and a very good artist.
I prefer "On a clear night" (just because "Going North" and "Steer" pushed me in special period of my life when I was far away from my country) but this is a good album too.
I think that her music is a perfect mix of rock and pop that I want to listen to when my ears are too tired, when I just want to relax and everytime I drive or I travel by train!
The lyrics are not pompous or banal, they are linear, true and meaningfull and it's impossible not appreciate that!

5.0 out of 5 stars cannot compare, 29 July 2010
This review is from: The Sound Of White - U.S. Version (Audio CD)
ive known about missy for some time thanks to my daughter who lives in aus there is no-one who can compare to her in uk she is an absolute dream i love her music and lyrics there is so much feeling it makes you feel as tho you are living what she is singing its haunting and beautiful im sorry to say im glad she is not well known here her music is special and altho not to everyones taste she is mine and many more missy higgins is a class to contend with along with ella, and co.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect autumnal music :D, 26 May 2009
This review is from: The Sound Of White - U.S. Version (Audio CD)
This is one of my favourite acoustic albums, it's so calm and easy to listen to, perfect to chill out to and for some reason I associate it with autumn but that maybe just because that's the time of year I bought it haha! Considering that I generally tend to listen to metal and harder rock music I actually really like this album, it's a nice change from the music I usually listen to :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You Crowded House!, 31 Jan 2008
N. P. Thornton (Runcorn) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sound Of White - U.S. Version (Audio CD)
While watching the last song of Australia,s 2007 live earth concert Neil Finn welcomes Missy to the stage. Who,s that i asked, that,s Missy Higgins i was told. Now i left school in the seventies and my genre of music is widespread so having read most of the reviews on the UK and USA sites i thought i would purchase this album just to see what type of music and artist she is. Thank you Crowded House this lady is refreshing and boy is she a talented singer/songwriter. I might be a few years behind in discovering Missy so to make up lost time the new album is on its way such is the impression she has made on me. And to all the reviewers who wrote buy this album and you wont be disappointed i thank you as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sound Of Success, 23 April 2007
S. Winn "Sam Winn" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sound Of White - U.S. Version (Audio CD)
Missy Higgins debut album The Sound Of White is a collection of acoustic-piano based masterpieces. Filled with energetic acoustic songs and dark piano ballads this album will take you on a rollercoaster ride of emotion, bringing you to the verge of tears then promptly picking you up off the floor, reassuring you, then thrusting you back into the swing of life. Higgins' has written every song on this album and played guitar & piano on every track. I highly recommend this album to fans of soft acoustic piano music.

5.0 out of 5 stars ....a unique voice and talent, 27 Mar 2006
to say that Missy Higgins has a unique voice would be an understatement. She is a one off with virtually " a south london accent". She is in fact Australian and massive out there i understand. I think this album is great and one of only a few that deserve 5 stars because it is an album that is full and complete. Listen to it all and love it all...i bet you will.

The Sound Of White - U.S. Version
The Sound Of White - U.S. Version by Missy Higgins (Audio CD - 2005)