4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 17 Aug 2008
Johnnybluetime - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Alone Together / Headkeeper (Audio CD)
I always used to think of Traffic as a singles band back in the '60's and then mostly lost interest in them into the '70's,but a few years ago I got their first 3 albums on cd and since then I have regular sessions of playing them and Low Spark of the High Heeled Boys one after the other.Whilst doing so last week it struck me that I ought to check out Dave Mason's albums, given that I liked his work with Traffic,but had never really spared him a thought otherwise.So I bought this package of his first 2 albums on one cd and it's definitely worth the 9.98 I paid.

They are both very late Sixties/ early Seventies: the first album Alone Together has very strong influences of Delaney & Bonnie and Leon Russell and would appeal,I think, to anyone who likes them or Derek & The Dominos, Joe Cocker circa Mad Dogs and Englishmen, and even The Allman Brothers Band. English rock with a strong American influence, some nice guitar solos, female backing singers and a good melody and lyrics.

The second album starts off with more of the same and then switches to the live tracks, which are all very good versions featuring some great Seventies style, slightly jazz rock, electric piano.I really enjoyed it.

Parts of them do sound familiar and were no doubt part of the background soundtrack to my younger days and overall the albums do sound slightly dated,but in a good way.I've really enjoyed hearing them and if you can identify with anything I've written then I'd recommend these albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute 70's classic, 18 Jan 2013
A. D. Hall (wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alone Together / Headkeeper (Audio CD)
Why Dave Mason wasn't declared a national treasure following the release of his early post-Traffic albums is both a mystery and a travesty. Alone Together is the perfect West Coast Rock album, before that genre got somehow diluted to mean rather saccharine easy listening country-rock. Whilst certainly melodic, Dave's excellent singing, guitar work and brilliant backing band(s) drive both these albums along with verve from beginning to end. Mason is on peak form as a songwriter, showing just what a loss he was to Traffic, and in my opinion beats Steve Winwood hands down. Anybody who loves either early Traffic or CSN will find plenty here to get excited about. If there has to be a one track picked out for a special mention it has to be 'Shouldn't have took more than you gave' in which Dave Mason lets his guitar go into overdrive and for my money is as good as Clapton at his best. The live half of 'Headkeeper' is of excellent sound quality, with a definitive version of 'Feelin' alright' thrown in for good measure. An absolute steal as 2 for 1 bargain basement buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unsung Masterpiece, 2 Oct 2013
Mr. John F. H. Mcdade "longtimelive" (West Sussex England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alone Together / Headkeeper (Audio CD)
I was a big fan of Dave many years ago, I have a lot of his work on vinyl, and did have an original Headkeeper until a so-called friend "lost" it, so I was well pleased to be able to replace it, along with his first album. The first thing you realise is just how good Dave is, both as a songwriter and musician. Even though these songs are many years old, they still sound good today, perfect laid back, West Coast feel rock. If you want some feel good (Feelin' Aright!) vibes, you'd be mad to miss this double set out. Just listen and chill, OK?

Alone Together / Headkeeper
Alone Together / Headkeeper by Dave Mason (Audio CD - 2010)