5.0 out of 5 stars Nobody Puts This Album in the Corner
I've had this album for almost 2 years now, and it still isn't old, and I still find my self listening to it over and over again.

Published on 9 April 2007 by Denus

2.0 out of 5 stars I Had a Falling Out With This Album
Published 1 month ago by Mr. Iain R. Wear

5.0 out of 5 stars Nobody Puts This Album in the Corner, 9 April 2007
This review is from: From Under The Cork Tree (Audio CD)

Call me sad but every track on this album is both catchy and has great lyrics. I have Take This To Your Grave, and i disagree with the people who think THTYG is better, I think this has both the best songs, and the all round better album. Although "Where is Your Boy" is an amazing song (I would recommend listening to it if you haven't already) is a good song, it doesn't compare to the bulk of the songs on this album such as;

Sugar Were Going Down

I Slept With Someone....

A Little Less 16 Candles A.....

Xo

I've Got a Dark Alley...

I would also say it is better than their latest effort, "Infinity of High" although these are both quality albums, this has to be my favourite.

Although the Genre is often disputed, I would recommend it to everyone, especially if you like pop punk or just pop. A Similar Band is Panic! At The Disco which "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out" is brilliant to.

So As a whole I would say this album will keep anyone entertained for years, well it's kept me entertained, and I'm sure it will continue you to for years to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising!, 19 April 2007
This review is from: From Under The Cork Tree (Audio CD)
I'll admit, when i came to this album i was not expecting to be impressed. having witnessed the various 12 year emo old girls in my town going ecstatic over the singles on the radio, i assumed this would just be an hour of teen angst, but i was surprised. I dont think theres a weak song on the album - something that i can rarely even say of my favourite bands. the songs are easy to listen to, catchy, and my favourite feature of the album is the energy found in every track. If you're even vaguely into the lighter side of punk/emo, then i would recommend this to you, you'll be dancing round the room in no time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rift of intelligence, 25 Oct. 2006
This review is from: From Under The Cork Tree (Audio CD)
After browsing the reviews of this album at 1.30am as you do, it became clear that the majority of the high ratings were associated with hyperactive teenagers with no sense of conscientiousness who just say 'oh dance dance is awesome' owtte, and the majority of the low ratings were associated with adults who seem to try and make the most articulate review imaginable.

Well I see their point, but the truth is, anyone who isn't emo, hates emos. And consequently their music, regardless of whether it's good or not. Now I appreciate a lot of rock music, and a number of years ago preferred heavier stuff, but was eventually converted to the emo scene after persistent detest of it. By that I mean converted to emo music, I don't have a vampiric existence or anything. True, Fall Out Boy do not have the same soloist quality as the likes of MCR but to conquer the masses they must be doing something right.

Adults like to sterotype the whole depressed teen thing, the long haircuts and the high pitched singing. But lets be honest, its better than say gangsta rap which is far more annoying, with no melody and whose lyrics just drone on about drivebying people. One thing is for sure though, you can't rock out to classic rock, and I'm sure you'll find that Fall Out Boy are much better than any oldie band that middle aged ingrates are inclined to argue are the contrary, whose melodies are on the whole, slow and boring. 5 Stars to "I Slept With Someone from Fall Out Boy..." because it is a fine blend of heavy music with emo, without becoming redefined as screamo. Obviously you adults are clueless about what I'm talking about, but stop whining about our music. Then perhaps we'll stop whining about yours. To sum them up, ignoring the babble of other misguided reviewers, the singing and the lyrics are actually very good. If you dont like the theme of the lyrics, DONT LISTEN TO THEM! The point is they are well structured, put togther ("sunset in my veins" etc for Sophmore Slump, the alteration of the chorus). The drumming is excellent, but I agree at least that the bass could use some spicing up. The melodies provided by the guitarists are more than adequate and all of the songs work well overall.

And before you stereotype me, I'm not an emo-geek, despite being vastly intelligent and a lover of emo music. Fall Out Boy have success written all over them, and I'd like to see anyone argue otherwise.

2.0 out of 5 stars I Had a Falling Out With This Album, 6 Feb. 2015
This review is from: From Under The Cork Tree (Audio CD)
One day a colleague of mine had a new CD delivered to the office by a band I had never heard of. I wouldn’t have paid it much attention except that the song titles on the album were some of the longest and funniest I had seen since Less Than Jake released “All My Best Friends Are Metalheads”. But not knowing who the band was, I merely chuckled and gave the CD back to him, vaguely impressed that they had named themselves after a minor character from “The Simpsons”.

A short while after, I heard a very catchy song on the music channels and, again not knowing who the band was, looked them up on Amazon. It wasn’t until I saw the titles on the album that I realised the bands were one and the same and armed with the knowledge that at least one track was very good and an assurance from my colleague that the rest were just as good, I decided to give the album a try.

On “From Under the Cork Tree”, Fall Out Boy have certainly found a sound that works for them. The only problem is that they’ve only found the one sound and they’ve decided to use it over and over again with very little variation until it starts getting boring. When I first heard “Sugar, We’re Going Down”, I thought it sounded like a great song and it still does if you get to hear it in isolation. The problem is that if you repeat the same song over and over thirteen times in 50 minutes, it’s going to get at best boring and at worst really very annoying.

This is effectively what Fall Out Boy have done with “From Under the Cork Tree” and, from what I’ve heard of the early singles from “Infinity on High”, are continuing to do. Where Status Quo made a whole career out of variations on just three chords, it appears that Fall Out Boy plan to make one from a variation on a single song.

Fall Out Boy are at the head of what is now known as “emo”, although as far as I can tell from this album, that’s simply a rock-pop sound with a catchy chorus that would have been called stadium rock two decades ago. Fall Out Boy are likely to become the emo equivalent of Bon Jovi and if Fall Out Boy lightened up their rhythm section and had a few harmonies in the chorus, they could end up sounding the same as well.

If you like the Fall Out Boy sound from the lead single, this is the perfect album for you, as it’s pretty much all the same sound, but if you only liked it a little, I’d suggest you download what you like and ignore the rest, as it will get very boring very quickly. This really isn’t an album worth investing time and money in, as once you’ve heard one song, you’ve pretty much heard them all.

This review may also appear, in whole or in part, under my name at any or all of www.ciao.co.uk, www.thebookbag.co.uk, www.goodreads.com, www.amazon.co.uk and www.dooyoo.co.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Surrender Your Ears Now, You Will Not Escape This Album, 4 Feb. 2006
Harrington (Canvey Island, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From Under The Cork Tree (Audio CD)
After hearing sugar, we're going down i was instantly caught by Fall Out Boy. The album is one of the best albums i heard in a long time in the punk genre. Although the names of each track are strange they each have their own quality from "Our..." to "Xo". The main tracks that stick out would be "Dance, Dance" second song "Sugar, We're Going Down" first track, "Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner" and "Sophmore Slump or Comeback Of The Year" Buy this ablum now and you won't regret it and like me you'll listen to it constantly

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories!, 27 July 2013
Maybe I can't judge this completely objectively because I think I love it so much because it came out when I was about thirteen and so listening to it now just reminds me of that time. It's great when an album has memories attached to it like that! However I really think there are some great sing-along songs on this album and when you get to know all the words they're so fun to bellow out in the car or when you're jogging or just rocking around the living room!

5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant album!, 1 Feb. 2006
By A Customer
great.....
i am used to cheesy , pointless typical american rubbish bands messing up the music scene , but this made a welcome change...this is a truly outstanding album, that blends a great voice , lyrics and perfection on the guitar , into one great album(rare these days)...every song is catchy and they seem to be melodic and punky at the same time , as well as haing meaningful lyrics to compliment the amazing sound....fall out boy are definitely going to be big but i just hope to God that they dont attract the screaming teenage girls so many pop-punk bands get when performing live....anyway , if you are appreciative of good music , then this is most definitely for you....
p.s sorry all you teenage girls , you're ok really....

5.0 out of 5 stars they done good, 29 April 2006
This review is from: From Under The Cork Tree (Audio CD)
my bro loves fall out boy so i decided to check them out and listen to their new album from under the cork tree. i had heard sugar were goin down which i loved so i expected the rest of the alubm to be top tunes.....which they were.

The lyrics are weird and unusual but they seem to make sense. The bassist for the band pete wentz writes the lyrics and the singer patrick stump delivers them with a natural stong voice.

i would recommend this to anyone because it is such a great album with catchy riffs and melodies

also listen to take this to your grave for their other material, which is just as great if not better

4.0 out of 5 stars Hardly the best music in my collection, but a fantastic listen, 26 Jan. 2007
Michael (Billingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From Under The Cork Tree (Audio CD)
You have to love the way a band like Fall Out Boy can split listeners. Putting that and any genre disputes to the side, however, I feel that this is a really good album.

I don't consider this 'pop-punk' sort of music to be the best I own, but that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable. Fantastic guitars, excellent melodies and really catchy lyrics, all of which indicate that Fall Out Boy have an impressive talent for songwriting.

One of the big selling points for me with this album, besides being really listenable music, are the lyrics. If you actually sit down for five minutes and think about some of them, you may realise that Fall Out Boy don't seem to take themselves, or anything for that matter, very seriously. This is one of the things I love about this band. Their lyrics are some of the wittiest, most intelligent around, bar none.

I can't think of another band who can write songs that their fans will happily sing along to at gigs, blissfully unaware of the fact that the lyrics are in fact criticising them. The band are an inside joke on this scene known as 'emo' and invite the fury of those who slag off the genre with open arms.

All in all, this is a package that brings together highly accessible music and lyrics that border genius. Anyone who is into 'pop-punk' has no reason to dislike this and should buy a copy. There are always going to be people who won't like this, but I don't think a band has ever cared less. I highly recommend the album.

My favourite tracks:

1. Of All The Gin Joints In All The World

2. Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner

3. I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me

4. A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More 'Touch Me'

5. 7 Minutes In Heaven (Atavan Halen)

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed, not what it should be..., 11 Dec. 2007
This review is from: From Under The Cork Tree (Audio CD)
FOB's second `official' album and their first recorded on Island Records, is a mixed bag.
FOB continue their fast american pop in some style, but in this album they have added some more elements to limited success. The album starts slow, but has some good songs in the middle. Despite continuing with their stupid names, "I've Got A Dark Alley And A Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth (Summer Song)" is pretty good. However the album kinda falls dow in the later tracks, as screamo doesn't really mix with the pop punk elements, and the poetry in "Get Busy Or Get Busy Dieing" is really out of place. These elements have possibly accredited to their "emo" status.
Overall, FOB's album is mixed, and possibly not what it should be. Not an essential purchase, but if you really are obsessive, go buy it.

Score : 5 out of 10
Tracks to Download : Sugar We're Going Down, I've Got A Dark Alley...

From Under The Cork Tree
From Under The Cork Tree by Fall Out Boy (Audio CD - 2005)