5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic
After Shootenanny, which I personally feel is their worst album to date, lacking the immediacy of Beautiful Freak or Daisies of the Galaxy, the sheer unadulterated excellence of Electro Shock Blues or quirky, fuzzy rock sensibilities of Souljacker, I was concerned as to how this one would turn out. I needn't have been, the latest Eels album is a triumph.
From the...
Published on 28 April 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars eels-blinking lights
another nice album from mr e, some nice tunes throughout with lots of hard hitting subjects and as usual sung with complete honesty. lots of quirky instrumentation! nice to see mr e's back using the great melotrone choirs that were lacking on the last couple of albums..
Published on 2 May 2005 by Mr. M. A. Estevens

5.0 out of 5 stars An album I'm glad to have in my life, 10 Sep 2009
T. Simms "Monkey-Dust" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blinking Lights And Other Revelations (Audio CD)
Simply as the title suggests. I bought this originally as a present to myself on my 18th on the year Blinking Lights was released and now almost 4 years later it still plays a big part in my life. Being an Eels fan already it may not be the best when valued against Everett's previous catalogue but to me it's always had the ability to cheer me up through dark patches and make me glad to be alive. What more could I want from music!

5.0 out of 5 stars ignore remote control, 6 Mar 2008
Mr. R. Neary "hard to satisfy" (north wales[uk]) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blinking Lights And Other Revelations (Audio CD)
this is one of the few bands that hold my attention throughout all of the tracks ignoring the remote completely.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute gem of an album....., 27 Nov 2007
Mr. Jonathan Robin Oxley "Jon Oxley" (Northampton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blinking Lights And Other Revelations (Audio CD)
OK, I am an Eels fan, but this album is just a great listening experience. The album has the sound of an amalgamation of the previous 5 Eels albums, although it's probably E's most realised and strongest album to date. Unlike many double albums, there isn't any filler tracks - even the short instrumental songs (which sometimes sound like musical interludes) are beautiful pieces of music. Highlights of the album are Railroad Man, Losing Streak, Trouble With Dreams and the reflective last track Things The Grandchildren Should Know. In my opinion, this is the album of 2005.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eel - luminating! Eel- aborately and wonderfully poignant, 21 Feb 2006
Buy it!
Sliced bread was never this good!
Simply THE masterpiece album of 2005.
I could deconstruct every nuance, every melodic development, every lyric that shakes you to the core but what is the point? This album of songs speaks volumes about the timeless human condition, tempered by tragedy, heartbreak, angst and the deepest sense of longing. It is so achingly honest, witty and,amazingly, filled with humour.
Buy it!
Let this music reach you.It will take time.It's a grower.A most significant work.

5.0 out of 5 stars This man is a genius, 31 Mar 2006
This review is from: Blinking Lights And Other Revelations (Audio CD)
To fill one album full of great songs is hard enough, but to make a double album this good is incredible. I had the good fortune to see the man live at a small, intimate gig in Auckland last year and the songs played live were real stand-outs. There is greater variety of musical styles here than one previous works and it just shows the depth of talent "E" has. I thought Beautiful Feak and SoulJacker could not be bettered but I was wrong. Awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars return to form, 2 May 2005
This review is from: Blinking Lights And Other Revelations (Audio CD)
Having been disappointed by 'Shootenanny' this cd is a real return to form. There are moments of true genius , though I do think it fades in the last third.
Highlights for me are 'In the Yard, Behind the Church' and the aggressive 'Other Shoe', while 'To Lick Your Boots' and 'Sweet Lil' Thing' strike me as charming possible singles.
Add in some beautiful instrumentals and madness ('Mother Mary') and it's a heady mix.
As good as 'Electro Shock Blues' and 'Daisies'but not better

4.0 out of 5 stars Personal and affecting., 6 May 2005
This review is from: Blinking Lights And Other Revelations (Audio CD)
This is not a crowd-pleasing album. Generally low-key, often melancholy and intensely personal it feels exactly what it is-a collection worked on (and worked out) as much for the artist as the public. As such it requires time and eventually rewards well.
Disc one is more acoustic, the tempo picks up on the second disc though, and with it the mood. Musically it is varied although always disctinctive. The final track is great, a strummed uplifting ode to truth and renewal.
Much more akin to Electro-Shock than any of their others I have a feeling that in a year or so this album will be played fairly infrequently, at least in its entirety. Like most double albums I think it could be edited, like some other Eels work it can sound a bit self-indulgent at times. Whatever these minor quibbles it is a serious piece of work that will satisfy existing fans pretty well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Awesome, 5 July 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Blinking Lights And Other Revelations (Audio CD)
Well worth the wait, this is one of the best things I have heard in years and even from just one listen I know I'll still be listening to it in 10... 20... (hopefully) 30 years!

Unlike Coldplay.

Enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars eels-blinking lights, 2 May 2005
This review is from: Blinking Lights And Other Revelations (Audio CD)
theres no doubt about it that blinking lights is a far better record than the dissapointing shootenany, however to say its e's materpiece I would strongly dissagree as it lacks the magic and flow of electro shock blues and the ultimate pure genious of daisies of the galaxy....
keep rolling em' out mr. e...we love it!
p.s and please, please, please write daisies part 2 soon!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Blinking lights and other disappointments, 15 Jun 2005
Sw Hogben - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blinking Lights And Other Revelations (Audio CD)
I really hate to say it, but is E losing it?!
I generally love everything he does, but he seems intent on career suicide with this one. There are flashes of brilliance in Hey Man, but I think a whole CD's worth of filler could have been cut. Not only are many of these tracks pointless, but I recognised rehashed hooks and chord progressions and a general lack of ambition.
I'm all for artistic freedom and all that, and good luck to him, but I'm also allowed to say its crap! It's in the public domain, its fair game.
I still love Eels, and I expect E will bounce back next time, so I'm not going to hold a grudge this time. Electro Shock Blues is still the one to beat for me..

Blinking Lights And Other Revelations
Blinking Lights And Other Revelations by Eels (Audio CD - 2005)