5.0 out of 5 stars ALL THE REST - READ IT AN WEEP, 23 Feb. 2011
Ludovico Sforza (Surrey England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Canon 10 x 42L Image Stabilising Water Proof Binoculars with Neck Strap & Case (Electronics)
I'll keep this brief, I have several pairs of binoculars, including other Canon IS ones, and I can say without the shadow of a doubt or fear of contradiction these are the very best binoculars money can buy, that's it! There is nothing else to say or write that is germane... course, one could complain about the objective lens caps, but they are no price to pay for the best - as the man said "once you've had the best then there's only all the rest" be they Leicas, Swarovski's, Nikons whatever, they are just all the rest! For usablity and clarity no one comes close to the Canon 10x42L's!

On a more serious note, I would say that the case and lens covers supplied by Canon are of very limited use, especially the cover for the objective's. My solution, taken up from someone else's idea I might add, was to get a metal case with foam inserts for normal storage and only to use the soft case if I have to. With regard to the objectives I purchased a couple of B+W UV filers and keep them permanently screwed in so I don't need to fiddle with the rubber items supplied by Canon. The other lens covers can be made to work, which I do, but they are far from a quality piece of kit. If you are into astronomy give your eyes a treat beyond compare and splash the cash for a pair of these, I can't believe that you will be disappointed. Be aware though that they are quite a heavy binocular, considerably heavier than Canon's 10x30 IS bins and no one could call them small. They do have a tripod screw hole on the base.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality binoculars, 20 Aug. 2012
R.E. Viewer (Scotland, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
- Build/Construction -

Fully waterproof, fog proof and of solid rubber coated construction. These binos feel well made. The focus ring is smooth and easy to use, eyepieces screw out for adjustment and have four positions. Good materials. The only poor area here are the lens caps, which do not fit well and I would recommend replacing with camera lens caps from the Canon range.

- Optics -

Very good indeed. Sharp, clear and good in low light. The practicality of these is increased enormously by the inclusion of the Image Stabilization. This works amazingly well. Turning it on and off during use really highlights the benefits. Your ability to read things or pay attention to small details is increased no end. It spoils you though as already I feel I would never use binoculars without IS! Good for a multitude of uses too. Hand holding, use in high winds, on a boat, in a car, the list goes on for the usefulness of the I.S. It really is that good.

Pros:

High build quality, fully waterproof
Top notch optics, clear image
Amazing Image Stabilization
Cheaper than Swarovski, Zeiss and others without I.S.

Cons:

Both sets of lens caps are very poor. They are hard to fit and come off easily
Pretty heavy at just over one kilo
Requires 2 x AA batteries to use the I.S

Having used other good quality 10 x 42 binoculars I would recommend the extra cash to get yourself a set of IS ones. These are about as good as they get. A worthwhile investment that I am sure will last a long time.

UPDATE:

Having used these binoculars for bird watching, astronomy, wildlife and various other situations including comparisons to high quality spotting scopes and other binoculars I remain impressed if not more so. I have already became so used to the I.S. that I begin to forget just how good a feature it is, until I try some optics without it! They are pretty big and quite heavy, but these really are a joy to look through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply stunning to look through, 4 May 2010
I was lucky enough to borrow a pair of these from a friend, from the first moment I looked through them I knew they where special, the image is so bright and crystal clear it's difficult to describe without actually experiencing it for yourself, just looking at a meadow in summer is mesmerising at fist glance with the naked eye it looks like there is no wildlife but through these & with the IS on it's like the world slows down, I noticed hundreds of insects that I couldn't see before, and I know it sounds silly but just to look at insects in a meadow is compelling.

I use them also for stargazing which again with the IS enabled they excel at, the binoculars look and feel very tough and are lovely to hold, the strap you get is really nice quality too. They use the same optics used in top of the range Canon L series camera lenses, it's a bit overkill for a pair of binoculars but is of course reflected in the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sailing Binoculars, 19 Feb. 2011
I've used some of the best marine binoculars available, like Steiner Commander and Leica 7x50, but these Canon IS binoculars are better and by a significant margin. On dry land I find I can make out more detail with these (with IS turned on) than with Leica Duovids at x15. Afloat in the usual wind against tide chop that you get in the Solent, these were significantly better than my Leica 7x50's in terms of light and mark recognition, and because the subject isn't dancing in front of your eyes they are much quicker and slightly more accurate to focus. They work well for glasses or sunglasses wearers and Canon's advice for cleaning off salt spray is to leave them in a bucket of water...which gives me quite a bit of confidence about their ability to withstand life afloat! I'd recommend lithium rather than alkaline AA batteries as they seem to last much, much longer. One negative, the diopter adjustment dial looks a fraction too exposed, I haven't accidentally moved it yet but I'm left with a feeling that I may. I'd also recommend fitting 52mm photographic filters to the front elements to prevent cleaning scratches, these are expensive binoculars and deserve looking after. If Canon added a compass and tightened up the diopter dial they'd be perfect, as they are they come pretty close!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent binoculars poorly pakaged, 30 May 2011
Mr. D. Trusty "Lataxe" (Lancaster, Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
As an optical instrument for seeing things-afar, the 42Ls are exceptional - clear, bright, no aberations and very stable via the electro-mechanical wizardry. I was happy to pay nearly £1000 for them as they have the performance and (as far as one can judge from the look and heft) the build to serve me for the rest of my gazing life.

However, as others have noted, the peripherals of lens-caps and bag are woefully inadequate for their respective tasks.

The rubbery push-fit covers for the rear lenses are a poor fit and easily fall off, despite being somewhat awkward to put on in the first place! The covers for the front lenses can be made more secure, via a rubbery-click into the filter threads. However, they are not easy to get on - they must be oriented just-so and given quite a push to get on. Yet they too fall off all too easily at inopportune moments.

The Canon bag is well-made but too snug a fit, making it a struggle to get the binoculars in and out, especially with those rubbery lens covers falling off at the slightest provocation. The shoulder strap is too flimsy. The belt loop on the back of the bag is sewn closed so one must remove one's belt to put on or take off the bag. The loop should be open with a velcro fastner.

It may seem finicky to moan about the lens covers and bag when the binoculars themselves are so good. But it is a case of a (very expensive) ship being spoiled for a ha'pth of tar. Therefore minus one star.

I bought a roomier Lowepro bag with a velcro belt loop and (as an alternative carrying method) a wide strap with contoured shoulder pad. The binoculars are quite weighty so need a confortable carrying method if you cart them about all day.

Also recommended is the purchase of some decent quality 52mm UV or skylight filters for the front lenses, where there are standard filter threads. I also bought a pair of small rubber screw-thread lens hoods; these and the UV filters are protection enough to allow the Canon lens covers to be discarded. No solution to those awful rear lens covers though.

5.0 out of 5 stars New to Binoculars, 26 May 2009
Dr. R. E. Rolfe "rerolfe" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
I'm new to using binoculars but find these excellent. the image stabilisation is a dream to use. My only criticism is the poor fitting lens caps; a comment others have made. Friends and colleagues have asked can they have one.
Dr. R.Rolfe

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 6 Feb. 2012
After reading countless reviews it came down to these or the Swarvorski 10 x 42 I had the opportunity to look through the Swarvoski's and they were absolutely stunning the only problem being the lack of image stabilising. i had no opportunity to try the Canon's, no one seemed to stock them locally.
After reading all the positive reviews and due to the fact i do shake very slightly holding bino's, especially after exertion, cycling walking up hillsides etc I plumped for these and I am not disappointed in the least.
The image stabilisation is just fantastic, make such a difference to the viewed image but even without it, these are excellent binoculars.
They do need either NIMH or Lithium batteries, normal Alkaline ones last just a few minutes, I use rechargeable NIMH and there are fine seem to last a couple of hours with IS on.
With the IS on I believe these give this viewer at least, a superior image to the Swarvorski's.
I must agree with most other reviewers, the lens covers are disappointing, they are difficult to fit and just keep falling off, it is hard to believe a company with Canons resources can not come up with a better solution.
With all the negative criticism about the covers it beggars belief that this problem has not been rectified.
Never the less these are excellent binoculars and I would have no hesitation recommending these to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Someone complained that the diopter control moves too easily once adjusted, 10 Jun. 2015
I Lloyd (Derby, UK) - See all my reviews
Someone complained that the diopter control moves too easily once adjusted. There is a lock mechanism just pull the diopter ring back there will be a click and the control ring will lock. I bought my bins to go tiger hunting in India once our guide had borrowed them on the first day he never asked for anyone else's the remainder of the trip! They are heavy and do use batteries quickly, but the image is supurb, bright , clear and stable this later point is the reason I find them such excellent piece of kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Sept. 2014
very stabil. ideal for planning boats. first time to see boyos without stopping the boat.