5.0 out of 5 stars Following the Equator: Following a truly classic book, 17 Feb 2004
When I first opened this book, with the exterior looking bleak and boring, I was fairly apprehensive. Yet after reading the first page I knew I had brought a book that would transform the way I feel and see travel journals. Twain recalls his memories of his round-the-world trip in an enthrawling and exciting manner leaving the reader drouling and dreaming of visiting such places as he did. The sensual words and phrases he uses capture the very essence of what it would be like to stand where he stood in the places of the unknown, in 19th century Earth. His truly brave and unbelievable journey has urged me to personally invest my earnings on visiting some of the places as he did. If someone can make me (with printed words) visit the other side of the world how can anyone dismiss this as a bad book? Don't think, buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly fantastic!, 31 Mar 2008
What an amazing record by a man so ahead of his time! His political commentaries and critical observations are subtle yet caustic and nearly always conveyed with his wonderful sense of humour! A pleasure to read...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic account of a world tour, 3 Jan 2014
Mark Twain has a unique humour that glides through this book. He goes places and meets people because of his position as a lecturer and famous writer, which he otherwise would not have. And we, the readers, benefit from this. It is a view like no other of selected places around the world. Some leave good memories, some not, like to any other traveller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enamouring, 28 July 2014
I've already read two-thirds of this book so far and can't help but be enamoured with it. I'd read Mark Twain's first travelogue "The Innocents Abroad" and that is a treasure in itself. (In fact due to its subject matter it should be in the world's heritage books list - if it isn't already!) However in this, his last utterly absorbing travelogue, written 20 years later, I'm really enjoying Twain's smooth and effortlessly sophisticated prose style. It is also fascinating to read of Hawaii, Australia, India, etc He introduces us to Cecil Rhodes in his tales of Australia and from what I saw the book virtually ends with a eulogy to this empire builder since South Africa is his final destination on the tour! He manages to describe everything (even bird songs!) SO well without the aid of pictures and diagrams. His descriptions are utterly brilliant! I have every intention of reading this book again.