5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Listening...
For those of you familiar with the music of the late Eddie Cochran I need not say much regarding what is offered here on these two discs as you yourself will know that Eddie Cochran made music that was worth investing in.

Published on 10 Feb. 2007 by mjns

3.0 out of 5 stars Good!
Published 23 months ago by Bubbles01536

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Listening..., 10 Feb. 2007
This review is from: The Best Of Eddie Cochran (Audio CD)

For those of you who don't know much about Eddie Cochran then I recommend this collection as it gives an overview of not only his most popular releases but also overlooked and unreleased recordings. Eddie Cochran was a fine guitar player for his day and one of the most influential rockabilly guitarists and performers. He was a direct influence on artists such as the Beatles, Brian Setzer and even Marc Bolan of T-Rex.

One of the standout tracks on the CD is 'Eddie's Blues', which is an instrumental consisting of Eddie tearing it up with mean licks that are reminiscent of Link Wray's 'Rumble' among other ferocious rockabilly recordings.

Many of his records, if not all, focus on the subject matter of teenagers-which draws comparisons to Chuck Berry, however one track in particular that demands the attention of the listener is the excellent 'Three Stars' which is dedicated to Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and Big Bopper, although he never wrote the song, his execution and emotional and touching performace would have the listener believe it to be a Cochran original.

I really don't think there is much more I can say, though I felt compelled to write this review as I hope it will encourage newcomers of Eddie's music to buy it and discover what Rock & Roll was really all about!

Furthermore, unlike the other reviewer who complained of having 'playback problems' due to the copy control on the CD I feel I should mention that I experienced none of these problems and was able to rip the CD onto my PC and transfer it onto my MP3 without any hassle.

5.0 out of 5 stars The prince of rock 'n' roll, 20 Nov. 2008
This review is from: The Best Of Eddie Cochran (Audio CD)
If it wasn't for a rock n roll mate I would never have got into Eddie Cochran. I had only heard 2 of his songs previously to buying this album; Summertime blues and C'mon everybody, which are still my favourite songs of Eddie's. If you are going to buy any Cochran greatest hits album then it has to be this one. Two CD'S with 20 tracks on each side. 40 songs of complete genius and for me this has to be the ultimate collection with the absolute best. I chose this compilation because it has the most songs and it is on two CD's and I definitely made the right choice.

Before buying the album I knew very little about Eddie, but from the couple of songs I had heard from him I was really impressed. My expectations were subdued once I had listened to the album. I could realise just how close this guy was to equalling Elvis Presley's standards of music and ambience. There was not one song that I did not like, and the more I listen to the album the more I love Eddie's music. He was the closest contender to Elvis Presley, for sure. If it wasn't for his untimely death and he'd lived for longer then who knows how incredible he could have become. Eddie has to be the greatest ever guitarist in rock n roll, of all time. His guitar playing on every song is extraordinary. This is especially evident on the instrumental Eddie's blues. The way he improvises with guitar effects in a time when there were no effects pedals displays just how versatile and creative he was. I was blown away by the musicality of this instrumental, especially for the time, and it is such a moody and somber number that I have put it in my top instrumentals ever. If you need one song to prove how fantastic Eddie was on guitar then choose this. Eddie was of course a better guitarist than Presley, he wasn't as good on vocals, although he has a brilliant sounding voice and has the versatility of being rough on some songs; Cut across shorty, Skinny Jim, Low on some; Lonely, Dark lonely street, and just pure sincere and open on some; Summertime blues, C'mon everybody and Pretty girl. His songs of course, don't have that same feeling that Elvis' early songs do. I guess it is just a unique style. Eddie was 21 when he died and for most of the songs he was a teenager. I believe he would've been 19 years old when Summertime blues was released and that is my age. I can't really picture myself with that much talent and in that position. He was 3 years younger than Elvis Presley and bearing that in mind gives us a clear idea of how talented Eddie was. I think Elvis had more of an aura and a gift that nobody else had. Eddie came really close to Elvis and if he had lived on then he could have been even better.

Eddie's songs have the perfect amount of guitar solos and riffs. Some songs by bands Guns n Roses or Pink Floyd have solos so long that they're just annoying but Eddie's are just right. He has such a flavour that I can't feel in anyone else's songs or guitar playing. Scotty Moore is a noticeable guitarist at the time but there's no way was as good as this teenager. The crazy thing is that Eddie was self taught and when you think about that he just becomes more phenomenal.
Eddie has this amazing thing where you can tell as a listener that he was really enjoying recording these songs. Eddie loved what he did and that is great for any fan to know. On songs like Milk cow blues and Boll weevil song you can hear Eddie chuckling through his vocals. That is delightful and it is great to see him enjoying singing these songs. How many other artists do you hear that with? Eddie was one of a kind and it is such a shame that he didn't last longer and record more magic. I guess it just wasn't to be. That is why we have to appreciate what he did record so much.

Notable songs other than the first 2 on the CD's are Somethin' else which was penned by his girlfriend Sharon Sheeley and Eddie's brother. Cut across shorty has a wonderful country feeling about it. Twenty flight rock was featured in The girl can't help it; Eddie's 1st theatrical appearance. Sittin' in the balcony is an awesome ballad. Apparently Eddie didn't like the song but I think it's really sweet sounding and feeling. Drive in show is another great song with the feeling of what it was like to be a teenager at the time. Whereas Chuck Berry was looking back, Eddie was living the lifestyle and living his teen years, so it was from a primary and genuine point of view. A lot of Eddie's songs denote teenage life, but at the same time they are so mature sounding. Three stars was a tribute to the plane crash of Holly, Valens and Bopper and was apparently recorded just a couple of days after the crash. I always feel sad listening to it with Eddie's voice breaking up with genuine emotion. Pretty girl is a fun number with such great feeling of teen desire and a guy with a lot of money to spend on her. Eddie's cover of Blue suede shoes is really good, and features his own guitar style. My way is about a guy having his way and not the version you think. His Milk cow blues has to be the definitive version. Dark lonely street was Eddie's version of Heartbreak hotel, and in my opinion this song is more complex. Think of me is the perfect way to finish this awesome compilation. It is a reminder of Eddie's legacy every single day.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'ICONIC STAR' - 'OF THE LATE 50'S EARLY 60'S', 3 Feb. 2015
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Best Of Eddie Cochran (Audio CD)
'Eddie Cochran' had a oh-so-short career, yet he remains one of the truly iconic names from the rock/pop scene
of the late 50's into the early 60's, I believe, unlike the many artists that floundered in chart-terms during the
Mersey/Groups revolution of 1962/3 'Eddie Cochran' had both the looks and vocal ability to have rode the storm
so-to-speak as did artists such as 'Elvis' and indeed 'Cliff'
'Eddie' entered the U.K Charts late 1958 with 'Summertime Blues' which peaked at number '18' this was followed by
his first U.K Top Ten Hit - 'C'mon Everybody' (Chart '6' 1959) a great beginning, two classic rock-numbers, he entered
the U.K Chart again the same year 59' with 'Somethin' Else' another great sound that only reached the number '22' slot,
worthy of a higher slot in truth, his next chart entry was in early 1960 'Hallelujah I Love Her So' also a number '22' in
the U.K Chart.........
Funny, what we remember from those days, I remember my friends and myself used to have sessions of listening to
our early record collections, back then as i've mentioned before because we were only at the early stages of collecting
we did play both A and B sides frequently, always remember liking 'The Boll Weevil Song' which was a B-Side to one of
'Eddie's' early hits, after years of searching i finally found the track on this particular 2-CD album.
When at the early stages of his first and only U.K Tour a already homesick 'Eddie Cochran' after a show at the 'Hippodrome'
Theatre in Bristol was involved in a freak car-accident April 17th 1960.......his girlfriend and fellow performer 'Gene Vincent'
were unharmed, 'Eddie' sadly died of his injuries aged just 21.
A recording he'd made before leaving the States for his U.K Tour was released posthumously soon after his death topping the
Charts both sides of the Atlantic - 'Three Steps To Heaven'
His recordings such as 'Weekend' (Chart '15' 1961) and 'My Way' (Chart '23' 1963) continued to pepper the U.K Charts.
'Eddie Cochran' - Music Legend

5.0 out of 5 stars But Eddie must have had something boys which can't be found in books, 13 Sept. 2011
Dangerous Dave (Berkhamsted, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Best Of Eddie Cochran (Audio CD)
I used to share a flat with a guy who reckoned he got shivers when he passed that spot on the A4 just west of Chippenham where the crash occurred, and this was without any recourse to the Cochran fan club who I'm sure could give us a Google Map location for the spot. We were on the London to Bath A4 road (well before the M4 came into being) pretty frequently at the time due to work - though I hasten to add that this was some time after the event - I'm not that old!

It's certainly true that the crash robbed the world of quite a talent but it was a talent that had spent some time maturing. I tend to think of Eddie as a "second generation£ rocker" but he'd been recording since Summer `55 and had his first release on a major (Liberty) in 1957. The breakthrough with "Summertime Blues" didn't actually come till the second half of `58 and, indeed, several of his earlier tracks weren't even released in the UK. There was only one album put out in his lifetime and that was so early it missed out on his best known numbers so, the way to buy him is definitely via a best-of and this double CD set is the best-of the best-of's.

It's got a quite a lot of the early stuff though there's even more of that on the "Eddie Cochran Rare `n' Rockin'" album. The hits are all here though and mighty good they are. The trio, "Summertime Blues", "C'mon Everybody" and "Somethin' Else" stand alone, unlike anything in rock before or since (though there's been a multiplicity of covers not least among which is the Who's great version of "Summertime Blues"). The combination of rhythm guitar riffing with bass note interjections plus extremely on-the-ball lyrics complete with side comments, almost like doowop, had never been heard. Sounds like it shouldn't work but it does. It's even more extraordinary when you consider that Eddie handled much of the instrumentation himself via overdubs. He seemed to be in a really rich vein of form in the year before the crash with other notable tracks like "Cut Across Shorty", "The Boll Weevil Song" (both rootsy but with plenty of punch), "Teenage Heaven" (based on "Home on the Range") and "Weekend" (in a similar crashing style as "Summertime Blues" etc.) also coming out, several posthumously. Although tough in both image and in much of his material he could also do sentiment very well. Both "Three Steps to Heaven" and the Holly tribute "Three Stars" reportedly recorded only two days after Holly's plane crash, bear this out.

What's particularly nice on this set are the lesser known tracks. There are a couple of other variants on the "Summertime Blues" pattern, "Weekend" and "Nervous Breakdown". Both are excellent. There are several good rockers - "Little Lou", "Pretty Girl" and "My Way" (no connection to Sinatra) stand out as does "Heartbreakin' Mama" which is straight rockabilly. Then there's the mean and moody "Dark Lonely Street" with own guitar only as accompaniment. There's also a version of Presley's "Milk Cow Blues" (yes I know he didn't write it but I think you know what I mean). Elvis's cut opens with the first line sung slowly and then he breaks loose into a fast rocker. Eddie's version starts just like Elvis but stays that way and there could even be some deliberate Presley impersonation as he goes along. Maybe an in-joke? Even if not, it's an intriguing curio.

Overall a great production and a significant advance on the single volume best-of which EMI used to have out on Eddie.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good!, 12 May 2013
Bubbles01536 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Eddie Cochran (Audio CD)
I knew Eddie Cochran was missing from my collection and had always intended on buying one of his albums. Saw this one and thought I would give it a try. It was relatively cheap compared to others available considering the number of tracks you get. The well known tracks stand out from the rest. The rest I doubt I will give a second play. However, it was worth it for the half dozen or so tracks that I absolutely love and will play to pieces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock & roll, 29 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Best Of Eddie Cochran (Audio CD)
I would recommend this CD to anybody who loves rock & roll.Also,to any youngsters out there who want to know what their parents listened to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocker, 19 Dec. 2011
Amazon Customer "pas" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Best Of Eddie Cochran (Audio CD)
This cd is for playing when alone or social functions,people cannot resist the urge to rock along with it,do not play it in the car unless in a convertable with the roof down,it really is the best of his work,tragically died young in a car accident.This cd was a bargain price so worth hearing just for the better known songs that were always on the jukebox.(a time before mp3 and ipod)

5.0 out of 5 stars Long overdue, 11 Nov. 2011
Mr. I. C. Jenkinson (Dog's own county) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Eddie Cochran (Audio CD)
I was aware for years my collection was missing Eddie Cochrane.
Now its here I have been missing it, and I am nostalgic for all those years I could have been enjoying him.
They aren't all gems, but most of them are and the ones that became famous did so rightly.
No wonder he inspired so many imitators, as he himself imitated Elvis etc
Incidentally I didn't know what a good run he could give Elvis.
Not just Eddie, but many/most of the wonders of modern music have been created by youngsters, this work is both erm, 'fresh', and well crafted / polished, and that blows me away.
That said, for a more sophisticated tragic prodigy, equally essential listening, see Nick Drake.

I haven't inspected the small print, but it sounds as fresh as a daisy, which came as a pleasant shock.
If you haven't already got it, redeem youself.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of Eddie Cochran - Somethin' Else!, 9 Sept. 2011
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Best Of Eddie Cochran (Audio CD)
Being a teen idol rockabilly artist in the late fifties seems to have been a dangerous profession, as many of the best known names died young (Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent and of course Cochran). Luckily they all left plenty of recorded material behind them.

Cochran's work was pretty classic, and many of his songs have really stood the test of time. Summertime Blues, which struck such a chord with the angst of the teenage market of the late fifties, has dated a little, but tracks such as `Three Steps to Heaven', `C'mmon Everybody' and `20 flight rock' still work well today, 50 years after they were recorded.

Cochran's music is deceptive, it sounds simple to today's ears, but was groundbreaking at the time. As well as developing the relatively new rockabilly and rock'n'roll styles, he was an innovator in recording technique, pioneering the art of multilayered tracks and studio tricks that would so influence people like the Beatles. The genius of it is that you don't notice the use of fancy technique, it all sounds perfectly natural. The end result is track after track of truly classic rock'n'roll, an essential addition to any music collection. This two disc collection is an excellent way of getting all of his essential recordings in one place, and being a two discs it has room for a few lesser known gems that don't often find their way on to single disc compilations. An excellent purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Memories of greatness, 7 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Best Of Eddie Cochran (Audio CD)
This CD is a reminder of the tragic loss of such a unique tallent. He had the tallent to be up there with Elvis and Buddy Holly. So sad he was taken so young.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Best Of Eddie Cochran
The Best Of Eddie Cochran by Eddie Cochran (Audio CD - 2005)