5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Listening...
For those of you familiar with the music of the late Eddie Cochran I need not say much regarding what is offered here on these two discs as you yourself will know that Eddie Cochran made music that was worth investing in.

Published on 10 Feb 2007 by mjns

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad!
I think hubby was a wee bit disappointed in this as I haven't heard him playing it much at all!...I think you have to be a real fan of Eddie Cochrane to appreciate it.
Published 13 months ago by Carol Love

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Listening..., 10 Feb 2007
This review is from: The Best Of Eddie Cochran (Audio CD)

For those of you who don't know much about Eddie Cochran then I recommend this collection as it gives an overview of not only his most popular releases but also overlooked and unreleased recordings. Eddie Cochran was a fine guitar player for his day and one of the most influential rockabilly guitarists and performers. He was a direct influence on artists such as the Beatles, Brian Setzer and even Marc Bolan of T-Rex.

One of the standout tracks on the CD is 'Eddie's Blues', which is an instrumental consisting of Eddie tearing it up with mean licks that are reminiscent of Link Wray's 'Rumble' among other ferocious rockabilly recordings.

Many of his records, if not all, focus on the subject matter of teenagers-which draws comparisons to Chuck Berry, however one track in particular that demands the attention of the listener is the excellent 'Three Stars' which is dedicated to Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and Big Bopper, although he never wrote the song, his execution and emotional and touching performace would have the listener believe it to be a Cochran original.

I really don't think there is much more I can say, though I felt compelled to write this review as I hope it will encourage newcomers of Eddie's music to buy it and discover what Rock & Roll was really all about!

Furthermore, unlike the other reviewer who complained of having 'playback problems' due to the copy control on the CD I feel I should mention that I experienced none of these problems and was able to rip the CD onto my PC and transfer it onto my MP3 without any hassle.

5.0 out of 5 stars The prince of rock 'n' roll, 20 Nov 2008
This review is from: The Best Of Eddie Cochran (Audio CD)
If it wasn't for a rock n roll mate I would never have got into Eddie Cochran. I had only heard 2 of his songs previously to buying this album; Summertime blues and C'mon everybody, which are still my favourite songs of Eddie's. If you are going to buy any Cochran greatest hits album then it has to be this one. Two CD'S with 20 tracks on each side. 40 songs of complete genius and for me this has to be the ultimate collection with the absolute best. I chose this compilation because it has the most songs and it is on two CD's and I definitely made the right choice.

Before buying the album I knew very little about Eddie, but from the couple of songs I had heard from him I was really impressed. My expectations were subdued once I had listened to the album. I could realise just how close this guy was to equalling Elvis Presley's standards of music and ambience. There was not one song that I did not like, and the more I listen to the album the more I love Eddie's music. He was the closest contender to Elvis Presley, for sure. If it wasn't for his untimely death and he'd lived for longer then who knows how incredible he could have become. Eddie has to be the greatest ever guitarist in rock n roll, of all time. His guitar playing on every song is extraordinary. This is especially evident on the instrumental Eddie's blues. The way he improvises with guitar effects in a time when there were no effects pedals displays just how versatile and creative he was. I was blown away by the musicality of this instrumental, especially for the time, and it is such a moody and somber number that I have put it in my top instrumentals ever. If you need one song to prove how fantastic Eddie was on guitar then choose this. Eddie was of course a better guitarist than Presley, he wasn't as good on vocals, although he has a brilliant sounding voice and has the versatility of being rough on some songs; Cut across shorty, Skinny Jim, Low on some; Lonely, Dark lonely street, and just pure sincere and open on some; Summertime blues, C'mon everybody and Pretty girl. His songs of course, don't have that same feeling that Elvis' early songs do. I guess it is just a unique style. Eddie was 21 when he died and for most of the songs he was a teenager. I believe he would've been 19 years old when Summertime blues was released and that is my age. I can't really picture myself with that much talent and in that position. He was 3 years younger than Elvis Presley and bearing that in mind gives us a clear idea of how talented Eddie was. I think Elvis had more of an aura and a gift that nobody else had. Eddie came really close to Elvis and if he had lived on then he could have been even better.

Eddie's songs have the perfect amount of guitar solos and riffs. Some songs by bands Guns n Roses or Pink Floyd have solos so long that they're just annoying but Eddie's are just right. He has such a flavour that I can't feel in anyone else's songs or guitar playing. Scotty Moore is a noticeable guitarist at the time but there's no way was as good as this teenager. The crazy thing is that Eddie was self taught and when you think about that he just becomes more phenomenal.
Eddie has this amazing thing where you can tell as a listener that he was really enjoying recording these songs. Eddie loved what he did and that is great for any fan to know. On songs like Milk cow blues and Boll weevil song you can hear Eddie chuckling through his vocals. That is delightful and it is great to see him enjoying singing these songs. How many other artists do you hear that with? Eddie was one of a kind and it is such a shame that he didn't last longer and record more magic. I guess it just wasn't to be. That is why we have to appreciate what he did record so much.

Notable songs other than the first 2 on the CD's are Somethin' else which was penned by his girlfriend Sharon Sheeley and Eddie's brother. Cut across shorty has a wonderful country feeling about it. Twenty flight rock was featured in The girl can't help it; Eddie's 1st theatrical appearance. Sittin' in the balcony is an awesome ballad. Apparently Eddie didn't like the song but I think it's really sweet sounding and feeling. Drive in show is another great song with the feeling of what it was like to be a teenager at the time. Whereas Chuck Berry was looking back, Eddie was living the lifestyle and living his teen years, so it was from a primary and genuine point of view. A lot of Eddie's songs denote teenage life, but at the same time they are so mature sounding. Three stars was a tribute to the plane crash of Holly, Valens and Bopper and was apparently recorded just a couple of days after the crash. I always feel sad listening to it with Eddie's voice breaking up with genuine emotion. Pretty girl is a fun number with such great feeling of teen desire and a guy with a lot of money to spend on her. Eddie's cover of Blue suede shoes is really good, and features his own guitar style. My way is about a guy having his way and not the version you think. His Milk cow blues has to be the definitive version. Dark lonely street was Eddie's version of Heartbreak hotel, and in my opinion this song is more complex. Think of me is the perfect way to finish this awesome compilation. It is a reminder of Eddie's legacy every single day.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of Eddie Cochran - Somethin' Else!, 9 Sep 2011
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Best Of Eddie Cochran (Audio CD)
Being a teen idol rockabilly artist in the late fifties seems to have been a dangerous profession, as many of the best known names died young (Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent and of course Cochran). Luckily they all left plenty of recorded material behind them.

Cochran's work was pretty classic, and many of his songs have really stood the test of time. Summertime Blues, which struck such a chord with the angst of the teenage market of the late fifties, has dated a little, but tracks such as `Three Steps to Heaven', `C'mmon Everybody' and `20 flight rock' still work well today, 50 years after they were recorded.

Cochran's music is deceptive, it sounds simple to today's ears, but was groundbreaking at the time. As well as developing the relatively new rockabilly and rock'n'roll styles, he was an innovator in recording technique, pioneering the art of multilayered tracks and studio tricks that would so influence people like the Beatles. The genius of it is that you don't notice the use of fancy technique, it all sounds perfectly natural. The end result is track after track of truly classic rock'n'roll, an essential addition to any music collection. This two disc collection is an excellent way of getting all of his essential recordings in one place, and being a two discs it has room for a few lesser known gems that don't often find their way on to single disc compilations. An excellent purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock & roll, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Best Of Eddie Cochran (Audio CD)
I would recommend this CD to anybody who loves rock & roll.Also,to any youngsters out there who want to know what their parents listened to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Best Of Eddie Cochran (Audio CD)
Good ole toe tapping rock n roll tunes, especially like the faster songs such as 20 flight rock! Yes well worth the money, good value entertainment.

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad!, 6 July 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Eddie Cochrane,best of, 20 May 2013
P. S. Addison - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Eddie Cochran (Audio CD)
Pretty much what it says on the cover,lots of classic rock to keep us oldies young (at heart).A well compiled collection from the vaults.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good!, 12 May 2013
Bubbles01536 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Eddie Cochran (Audio CD)
I knew Eddie Cochran was missing from my collection and had always intended on buying one of his albums. Saw this one and thought I would give it a try. It was relatively cheap compared to others available considering the number of tracks you get. The well known tracks stand out from the rest. The rest I doubt I will give a second play. However, it was worth it for the half dozen or so tracks that I absolutely love and will play to pieces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocker, 19 Dec 2011
Mr. P. Shoreland "pas" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Best Of Eddie Cochran (Audio CD)
This cd is for playing when alone or social functions,people cannot resist the urge to rock along with it,do not play it in the car unless in a convertable with the roof down,it really is the best of his work,tragically died young in a car accident.This cd was a bargain price so worth hearing just for the better known songs that were always on the jukebox.(a time before mp3 and ipod)

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good stuff, lots of filler, 24 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Best Of Eddie Cochran (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the basis that:
1) I've heard and like Cochran's classics such as "Summertime Blue" and "Something Else"
2) It's cheap ([])

The sound quality is excellent, and the tracks I'm familair with are explosive. However the majority of the song's I've not heard before are unlikely to receive a second play. Really very tame and bland in comparison to the good stuff. But at such a low price it's still worth buying for the five or six standout songs.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Best Of Eddie Cochran
The Best Of Eddie Cochran by Eddie Cochran (Audio CD - 2005)