Format: DVD|Change

on 14 August 2005
I went to go and see this with my girlfriend because she loves these kinds of movies, the sickly sweet, intoxicatingly happy and demure films starring little stars with little brains. Well that is what I expected when I entered the theatre to see this flick.
First Daughter is the story of Sam (Katie Holmes) who is America's First Daughter (the President's daughter) going to college, and surprisingly (not) wants absolutely no connection to her father or his political stand point. The story is touching and portrayed well even though it's quite simple.
Now I have to say, Katie Holmes is very attractive indeed, despite the Cruise-Gate situation she is absolutely excellent in this little motion picture. She really portrays an entire emotion pallet, and includes the innocence the character needs. (See the frat party) Marc Blucas from Buffy and "I Capture the Castle" fame takes male lead of the "hotty" from college that Sam falls for, but is he who he says he is?
This film isn't meant to be taken seriously, it's meant to be light hearted fun, with a story to tell and a person to explore. The critics scrutinize this and say its complete crap with a rubbish script. Admittedly the script is not up to the performance level, but it's only a film! Not a piece of Motion Literature and it is still hugely enjoyable! The soundtrack is also EXCELLENT, even though you can't buy it; it features great songs which is always a high point for me.
The DVD contains fairly poor extras: A commentary I cannot find on the disk, a featurette on the ballroom dancing between Holmes and Blucas, and a tribute to the composer who sadly passed away during working on the film. But despite the mediocre special features, they are interesting to see and give insight into the production.
My final words for this will be "watch this with an open mind". If you watch it expecting crap, you won't enjoy it. Expect the unexpected and watch this film with an open heart, open mind and a smile.
on 12 November 2005
A film a bit like a fairy tale. Good family film, with no blood, violence, perversion or explicit sex. A sweet romantic story, nothing heavy. A deft lightness in the direction by Forest Whitaker suited this age old formula of love beginning, possibly lost and then regained. It was nice to see a portrayal of a good father-daughter relationship. Michael Keaton was very believable as a US President and father.
Marc Blucas was excellent as the love interest, and at the moment seems highly under-rated as a actor. He gave some needed clout in the appropriate places. Good chemistry between him and Katie Holmes, who played the female lead.
on 2 January 2013
I enjoyed this film on the telly and really enjoyed being able to watch it as and when I wanted to in the comfort of my own home. The product arrived very quickly and in very good condition. I was very satisfied with my purchase.
on 24 February 2015
A fairly reasonable family film. College life is portrayed as parties and 'hooking up' which is a shame.
It has some heart warming moments but nothing too special. I did manage to watch it from beginning to end without looking out the window and that is a good test of a film.

Some language, no sex or nudity though innuendo rears its ugly head, no drug misuse or excessive violence.
on 18 July 2011
I had heard some bad reviews about this film, so i approached it with lowered expectations, and ended up being pleasantly surprised.

It's not brilliant, but it is a nice, enjoyable, easy to watch movie and Katie Holmes is a great actress and shines in the role.

A pleasant enough way to spend a couple of hours, just don't expect too much and you shouldn't be disappointed.
on 9 August 2014
I bought this again because someone borrowed mine and never returned it.
Ok it's not going to win an oscar any time soon but it is a cute watch. I loved the concept and the twist which i didn't see coming.
I also thought the ending was realistic.
on 8 January 2006
Ok, I'll admit it. I love a good chick flick. I adored 'A Cinderella Story', cried like a baby at 'The Prince and Me' and smiled all the way through 'Ella Enchanted'. With my penchant for such films, I went into 'First Daughter' expecting a bit of harmless escapism. What I got was a shallow, prissy excuse for a story with a totally pointless narration and less than believable characters.
Katie Holmes, in my opinion, seriously lacks as an actress. I've seen her in a few parts and find her less than convincing in just about every single one of them. In this performance, her demands for a 'normal college experience' looked forced and get tired very early on, and by the end she just comes across as a selfish, naive brat. To me she was carried by Amerie and Michael Keaton in all the scenes they shared.
A saving grace of the film is Marc Blucas. Whilst his character never really develops or goes anywhere at all, he gives a decent performance, and the heartbreak he shows is almost believable. If nothing the else he's an attractive guy who's just nice to watch.
After watching the film I couldn't bare to sit through the extras. I gather there are things missing from the advertisement, so all in all don't waste your money.
"Chasing Liberty" has a very similar storyline, and whilst fluffy and sweet, is the film that 'First Daughter' wants to be.
on 7 November 2006
Despite being "too old" to like films like this, I loved the Princess Diaries (even the sequel!) but this film was truly atrocious. Trite, dreadful script, awful set scenes, and how annoying is Mrs Tom Cruise?!?

Only high point was Riley from Buffy the Vampire Slayer getting his top off. And that only happened for 30 seconds.
on 8 August 2005
I bought this film thinking it looked like it would be just 'my kind of film', as i love the princessy films like the 'Princess diaries', 'The prince and me', 'Ella enchanted' etc However i was sadly mistaken, this film has such potential to be more than what it is. It has the same basic storyline of 'The prince and me' but without any real focus on one particular aspect of the story. i found it a very bland film, not the worst i have ever seen but at times very boring! I was mainly dissapointed because i think this film had the potential to be a Great instead of ok watch!
VINE VOICEon 11 April 2005
Katie Holmes proves charming as daughter of the President of the United States in the romantic drama `First Daughter.' From director Forest Whitaker, `First Daughter' features Holmes' playing the character of Samantha Mackenzie - a freshman who navigates college classes, while dealing with testy roommates and romantic entanglements - all under the ever watching eyes of a cadre of Secret Service bodyguards.
Add Michael Keaton as a President running for reelection and Marc Blucas (from the television series `Buffy the Vampire Slayer') as a graduate student with a secret agenda to the mix and the ingredients are all here for an enjoyable, if not intellectually stimulating, diversion for a couple of hours.
Where this DVD fails, however, is its delivery on special features. We have a very short featurette on the choreographed ballroom dancing scenes, as well as a tribute piece to the famous composer Michael Kamen who died shortly after starting work on the picture.
There are also two deleted scenes that are actually merely extensions on existing scenes - more birth control products for Samantha as she endeavors to make her boyfriend jealous and more of Holmes dancing on the bar. They add nothing to the picture and its quite obvious why the extra seconds were trimmed from the final theatrical release.
Where the DVD does deliver the goods though is in the rather laid back commentary from the three young stars (Holmes, Blucas and Amerie). It starts a little slow, but soon livens up as the three began to relax. The three share some entertaining anecdotes about life on the set, and their experiences working with Michael Keaton. However, the commentary also highlights what is missing from the DVD as the three discuss all the outtakes from the picture, and Blucas even speculates (incorrectly as it turns out) as to their presence on the DVD.
As is the case with so many releases these days, we have the cropped full-screen version on one side of the disc and the original theatrical widescreen presentation on the flip side, with the special features split (half on each side).