5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly their best single-disc album, 27 Feb 2008
Paul Magnussen (Campbell, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I should say at the outset that don't own this CD, but I do own all the recordings in other manifestations; and since (as I write) there are no other reviews, I venture to add a few comments.

The title is of course a joke: the Dubliners' greatest hits were "Seven Drunken Nights" and "Black Velvet Band", neither of which is here.

What you do get, however, is fine collection of Ronnie and Luke's best songs.

Another feature that makes this album especially attractive is that John & Barney, who normally get a maximum of two instrumental tracks per album, here get five:

The Donegal Reel/The Longford Collector features John and Barney together, the banjo an octave below the fiddle.

The High Reel (sic) is a magnificent example of a record-company cock-up being perpetuated down the decades without ever being corrected. It's a medley of two tunes, NEITHER of which is "The High Reel". The second (found in O'Neill's Dance Music of Ireland) is "The Boyne Hunt"; but it took me forty years to find out what the first one is, and then only by asking a mutual friend to ask Barney. In point of fact it has an unpronounceable (to me, anyway) Irish title* that means "Congratulations", and it's one of my favourite tenor banjo tunes of all time.

"The Cook In The Kitchen" is a double jig, a duet between Barney and an Uilleann piper; it must be one of those old sets of flat pipes, because the pitch is E (rather than G).

"Sligo Maid/Colonel Rodney" features John playing two lovely reels.

And finally, "The Mason's Apron", recorded live at Cecil Sharp House, is one of the stand-out performances of the Dubliners' career, with John and Barney trading variations.

So if I were only going to buy a single Dubliners CD, this could well be it.

*"Códháirdeachais", if you must know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Craic, 6 Nov 2013
Neil Brough "Vonnegut Fan" (Around) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I bought this to put on my ipad. It is great rousing sing-along stuff enthusiastically performed by a bunch of friendly drinkers.

ARRAY(0xb142e084)

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits by The Dubliners (Audio CD - 2005)