on 2 May 2006
I bought the Tom Tom on the thursday night knowing I had to get from Bolton to an address somewhere in Stockwell London on the up coming saturday. I put all my faith in the little black box, refusing to take extra maps or written directions. Not only did Tom Tom get me to the exact address at exactly the time it said, it's traffic warning system helped me to avoid all the delays on route and got me through the centre of London without a single hitch. What a product!
on 15 December 2005
Excellent sat nav, ideal for somebody like me who has absolutely no sense of direction. Easy to operate, solid and worth every penny. Only gripe - my house does not exist, nor does the road that it is built on.
on 16 August 2007
I think some of the bad reviews are being a bit harsh. Remember SAT NAV is just a map like any other map, albeit electronic. If you are using a paper map which displays two-ways on a now one-way road, you use your judgment as an intelligent person and choose not to go down that road. From this you learn that obviously your map is out of date and likewise the maps in the TOM TOM can become out of date as streets change.

Most people want to sit back and let the TOM TOM do the driving. If that is your attitude then of course you will be disappointed. Remember that this is a tool to make your journey and finding your way easier than always referring to a map. The benefits of this little device far outweigh the negatives.
on 31 October 2005
The Go 500 came highly recommended & I am not disappointed on the whole. There was only one bit of frustration when in the advanced planning section where you can save itineraries, it will only allow you to save 1 itinerary at a time - quite useless if you need to pre plan more than one route in your travels. Apart from this one frustration, seems to be quite good & paired brilliantly with my husband's phone.
on 5 March 2006
I recently purchased a Tom Tom Go 500 model and I'm shocked at the apalling quality of the mapping.
Within the last two weeks it has tried to:
* Go the wrong way up a one way street in Leeds
* Cross a railway line in Coventry where there was no crossing
* Turn right in South London where this was only allowed for buses
* Take an exit from a roundabout on the South Coast which didn't exist
* Cross a railway line near Lewes where the gates could only be opened with special key from Network Rail
* Take a completely unnecessary and lengthy detour off a major A road in Kent
If these are the mistakes I have found in two weeks then the mapping must have millions of errors in it.
on 17 September 2005
great little idea looks good (bit bulky) but all looks ok, out of the box plug in and away you go again great features and great expansion options eg traffic weather and most importantly SPEED i mean SAFETY camera alerts....!
but were the people of TOMTOM planning to enjoy this much success, my reason for this comment is that in the Capital of the UK LONDON, receiving "a valid GPS signal" and maintaining it seem to be somewhat impossible! working in london is ok but driving in london is another story as i am sure you are aware, so the idea of this great little device comes into play. It seems that unless you are willing to drive at your own free will for around half hour TOMTOM simply will just sit dorment until it decides that you may have a signal, i mean this is meant to be the capital where you can receive best signals for everything whats going on! not happy with the system and would advise research into other products (as i hear no other complaints about others) before you purchase one!
on 3 August 2015
Disappointed as can't see the screen when the sun shines
on 22 March 2006
I was driving to collect my mother from Stanstead @ 11pm and the main road to the airport off M25 was closed. I was following M25 until the next turn off and was directed by my Tom Tom to turn around all the time. Once on another road it was telling me to drive over any bridge we passed and turn around. I was completely lost driving from one petrol station to another and asking people where to go. Finally I was directed (by some people) onto some fairly new looking road which wasn't shown on my Tom Tom. According to it I was driving in a field somewhere for 15 miles!
on 19 February 2006
TomTom do not support Apple OS X for map purchases. They will allow you to do a basic upgrade, but not to install new maps. Furthermore, using a tool like VMware running windows still doesn't work.
Just to keep things entertaining, they used the legal system to shutdown the only provider of Apple integration software, TamTam. Now Apple users have no choice at all.
If you use Apple, DON'T buy this product.
On a purely product related note, one of the differentiating features between this and the TomTom Go 300 was the in-tunnel navigation. The idea is that it would plot your route through tunnels so that you do not have to wait for it to catch up when you exit a tunnel. This does not work for either the Blackwall, Limehouse Link or Rotherhithe tunnels in London, and if your route requires a turn shortly after exiting the tunnel, you should plan this in advance and not rely on the device.
Overall, they have huge potential, but are ruining the product through bad business practices and silly over-promising.
on 5 July 2005
Bought the Tomtom 500 and find it is very fussy about which SD card you try to use with it.(tried Sandisk & Toshiba) it would not reconise either.Maps are way out of date my brother-in-laws address in Gateshead (it's been there for over 30 years) was not reconised neither was an address in Leeds I wanted, same thing could not find it. Spoke to Tomtom in Holland about the problem but could not resolve it at the time, so I ended up getting a refund and will use the money to buy a good map.