5.0 out of 5 stars "Trainy" enough for him, but not too "trainy" for me
We got this game because the other half likes trains and we enjoy playing games (both together and with friends), so this seemed like a good mix and different to our other games.

Published on 4 Jan. 2007 by Amber

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty product
Ordered this as a birthday gift as we love the game. Unfortunately the one I got was missing a whole load of the cards so couldn't play it. Had to return but then couldn't get another copy. Disappointed.
Published 3 months ago by Mrs K Stroud

5.0 out of 5 stars "Trainy" enough for him, but not too "trainy" for me, 4 Jan. 2007
Amber (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ticket to Ride Europe (Toy)

There are several different versions of this game, including the original Ticket to Ride (which is US based), but we chose this one as the map is of Europe and we read some reviews that said it is easier to learn, teach and play than the original. I don't know about the original, but this is certainly easy enough to learn.

The basic idea is that players draw tickets (say London to Frankfurt) and then you have to connect these two cites along pre-set routes on the board using small plastic trains and by playing coloured cards. You frequently have a choice of routes, and you don't get points for "directness", only for being able to get between the two locations on the ticket - If you choose to go via Moscow that's up to you. You also get points for longer steps, so Edinburgh to London is a longer step than Berlin to Essen, thus it costs more (in terms of cards and plastic trains), but you get more points. The more tickets you can satisfy, the more points you get, but there are penalties for tickets left in your hand that you can't use.

In terms of the game, it takes upto about an hour and a half, depending on number of players, how long people take to think and their strategy - we typically take about 45 mins for a two player game. There is a resonable amount of luck involved, but quite a bit of strategy and although the game plays well with any number of players, it is most chaotic with 3 or 5 players (due to a very clever little rule change). For a family board game, it is not cheap, but you do get quite a lot of quality bits for your money (including 45 plastic trains per player), and it's a well thought out game with a big board and lots of cards with a nice feel to them.

In summary, it's a good game that's not just for Christmas and has a lot replayability. If you like playing "modern Euro boardgames" (ie games, typically from Germany, with a little more to them than Monopoly and Cludo) or have a thing about trains, then this is definitely for you. However, if you haven't exerienced modern boardgames, there are other, cheaper options to try first (like Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan etc.), but this should be next on your list once you are addicted.

In our view, although it's not cheap, it's well worth the money!

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to learn. Difficult to master. Great fun., 11 Jan. 2012
R. EVANS (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ticket to Ride Europe (Toy)
After introducing Ticket to Ride Europe to our game's group last night, I had to write up on how much fun everyone is having with this great game.

I had purchased the game merely 5 days ago, and my Girlfriend and I had played it non-stop. By the time we took it to our friends' house, we had come to realise that the game was not only incredibly easy to teach to others; but that it was also quite addictive. Following on basic game turn rotation like Catan, with the mixed element of linking rail lines, the game mechanics are notoriously simple. You draw cards, match the colours of the cards with the routes you want, lay down you trains, and subsequently create train networks. People tactically block off the routes you want, you use stations to by-pass this and the game ends when people get close to running out of trains. So if you're not into complex mechanics, or just want a simple game that has instant replay value, then this will be for you.

Even playing with 3 new players, the game took no longer than an hour and a half of set up and play time. So the added benefit is that it won't consume your time if you don't have it like other games of mine do, like Arkham Horror or Dominant Species. The great thing I noticed is that within a short time, people were making quite complex strategies to win the game, and at no point was the game decided until the last few rounds due to a constant shifting power balance which also makes the game quite tense by the end.
As a comment on quality and durability, the trains are made from good thick plastic in shiny colours and the board and cards are very brightly printed. One addition we liked was that our colour blind friend could play without much difficulty as all of the routes and the train cards are symbol printed. I rarely ever rate durability as full marks (despite my distain of the star system anyway), due to the fact that parts are cardboard and cards will at some point get damaged and deteriorate. Although I will add that if look after your game but still play it regularly, it should last you for many years.

Lastly, mine and others only niggle is the limited long route cards (6) and ticket cards (45). Within a short amount of time, you begin to learn the long routes and the normal routes in the tickets. However, some may argue that this adds a tactical element to the game as you have to be a bit sneaky and clever to complete your routes. Regardless, we wanted more so I have purchased the 1912 expansion for Europe, which has made the overall game more expensive. So with this, the game is not perfect in my eyes, but it's so much fun and so widely playable to so many audiences it's very hard to fault it that much.

A great game to play, easy to learn, quick and highly repayable.

R. Evans 2012.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant game, 28 Feb. 2007
F. Edgar "cone" (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ticket to Ride Europe (Toy)
A brilliant game! It is best played with 3 or 4 players although it can be played with 2 or 5. The names of the countries on the European version (don't know about other versions) are the names of those places in 1901 which can sometimes make things confusing but once you learn it is OK. It is quite quick to learn the game becase the rules, although fairly long, are simple.

On the whole it is down to luck of which routes you get (e.g: Paris to Edinburgh) and how well those tie in with the long route or if any other players have similar routes. It is also luck as to which carriage colours you pick up in order to complete the route. The set is very durable and well made and good value for money for the high play value that can be gained from it. An excellent buy. 5 out of 5!

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbingly addictive, 11 May 2009
WilburII (Calne, Wilts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ticket to Ride Europe (Toy)
I'll not describe the mechanisms etc because that's been done well enough elsewhere. Instead I'll just pass on our experience so you can judge whether you think you'd like it too.

I've been a board gamer for longer than I care to think and wanted to buy it for ages; but hesitated because you need a willing opponent and I wasn't sure how it would go down at home. So it wasn't until recently that my wife's hairdresser mentioned it to her and raved about it that I got the go ahead to splash the cash.

I bought it on Friday and we played that evening (2 parents and 2 teenage girls), and again on Saturday and Sunday and we've had 3 different winners - only the youngest has yet to get there but she's not been last either so it's not an age thing.

So, we're still learning; but the whole family enjoyed it on all occasions. It does require a bit of luck in getting routes that suit each other and also the flow of the cards; but so far it's not been clear that one person is running away with it until right at the end which means everyone is still committed to it rather than giving up.
I suspect that if you know the routes well enough you can deduce where people are going and start playing negatively by nabbing useful cards or routes; but with four positive players the only spoilers were accidental, and there's no need to be nasty. There are some points in the rules which we've discovered can be used to your advantage if you think far enough ahead - such as not picking up any more destination cards once you've completed a number of routes and have scored your points that way but then just keep playing to extend your line of track and to play out the carriages to score points that way.

All in all, a lot to recommend it as there's little to argue over, a lot to think about and more to enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family gaming Utopia, 12 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Ticket to Ride Europe (Toy)
I bought this game as a Xmas present for my 8 year old daughter, with the aim of finding a game that -

a) the whole family could play,
b) wasn't too difficult,
c) didn't last too long (ie. monopoly),
d) introduced some strategy (rather than just dice rolling luck),
e) was fun and exciting to play

And amazingly Ticket to Ride - Europe scores 10 out of 10 on all counts. We are an average family of two parents with two daughter's aged 9 and 13 and they absolutely love this game. We've had it for 2 weeks, must have played it a dozen times already and they always want to play again when we've finished. When you first read the rules it seems a little daunting, but after playing it through once everything became clear. As parents we loved seeing how our kids embraced the strategic elements, which are set perfectly to appeal to all ages and which is sadly missing from most well known children's games these days. Finding a game, that is fun to play for all ages is very hard, but this is near perfect. We are also going to experiment with the 1912 expansion set, which I'm sure will only enhance the gaming experience further.

If you have kids and want to encourage them off the sofa and around the table for a family game, it doesn't get much better than this - Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family ticket to board-game fun, 2 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Ticket to Ride Europe (Toy)
Just got this as a Christmas present from my sister. I was looking for a board-game I could play with my daughters (aged 9 & 11). In the week that we have had it, we have played it 3 times already. Rules were pretty simple and I was really pleased how quickly the 9 year old picked it up. The first time we played the full rules, but the 2nd time we left out the special rules for tunnels & ferries as we had two people playing for the first time, and this worked well. Last night was Mum's first time playing, so we left out the special rule for tunnels. The train stations are great from a family point of view as it avoids people being upset that someone has cut off part of the route needed for their destination ticket. I think if I was playing with just my mates, we'd probably leave out the train stations in order to make the game a bit more cut-throat.

The rule book is very well laid out and simple to read. The board map is very beautiful. I think that it would have been good if they had used the other side of the board to give a second map and so provide more variety to the game. The cards are also very pretty. My other criticism would be the plastic train cars, my preference would have been for coloured wooden blocks instead. The box itself appears to be pretty sturdy. It would be great if you could get it in a wooden box edition like the ones available for monopoly & cluedo, as I can see myself still playing this game in 10 years time. I like that there are some expansion packs available so that in the future we can vary the game with different maps.
Overall a great way to get the little ones playing board-games and hopefully a gateway game to the more challenging board-games in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Game, Great Sequel to the Original, 10 July 2012
Mr. J. L. Burns "~Jeremiah Burns" (Northwest England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ticket to Ride Europe (Toy)
I first fell in love with Days of Wonder's "Ticket to Ride Pocket" for iPhone. When I discovered there was a European version of the physical board game, I had to have it.

Not only does this version of the game have the classic gameplay elements which made the original so enjoyable, but it also expands on them by adding new ones as well as the obvious new map, routes, etc.

Ticket to Ride is all about conquest of the national rail systems. Your task is to connect a series of routes between cities marked on a set of "Route Cards" (distributed at the start of the game) by placing "wagons" (train car tokens)along the routes in question. You can only place your wagons along any segment of any route by "purchasing" that route segment with playing cards of varying colours. Each route segment requires a certain number of a certain colour of playing cards, and therefore your goal is to get the right numbers of the right colours of cards in order to place your wagons in the correct places and claim your routes.

For each wagon placed you will receive a number of points. More wagons = more points. When your wagons connect from Point-A to Point-B, you've successfully completed your route and earn bonus points for doing so. When any one player has two wagons or fewer remaining in their inventory, the game ends. Any routes you failed to complete will not only forfeit your right to bonus points for that route, it will also subtract those points from your current score.

You must therefore try to achieve as many points as you can and complete as many and/or the longest routes you can before the other players and before the end of the game.

The rules can SEEM finicky to newcomers, but once understood you realise how very simple they are and the game play is exceedingly engrossing often resulting in multiple games on the trot.

Additions in TTRE include even more ways to complete your routes and gain points such as adding train stations, tunnels and ferry routes.

The quality of build for this set is very high. The game board is thick and sturdy, the artwork is vibrant and detailed. The player pieces, which keep track of each player's score, are wooden and add to the charm and quality. The playing cards are sturdy, of high quality and again the artwork is beautiful and colourful.

The only real let-down is the wagons themselves, and this is really a minor gripe. The wagons are made of moulded plastic and it would be so much nicer if they were wooden as well. However I suspect that, due to the large number of wagons (45 x5 players), this would dramatically increase the cost of this game. If this were something that would bother you it's good to know that there are wooden third-party, aftermarket options available. Another positive worth noting is that several "extra" wagons of each colour are included...just in case one gets lost!

Finally, there's even an educational element to each and every version of this game, as it does, in its own way, instil a bit of a minor geography lesson with each and every game played. With the European version, the various cities have their names as spelled in their native tongue...not English. For example, "London" is "London", but "Rome" is "Roma" and "Athens" is "Athina".

Highly recommended, highly addictive, and best played with loads of people.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a great game for a while, 20 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Ticket to Ride Europe (Toy)
Ticket to Ride is fast becoming a classic. The Europe edition provides some extra complexity (which you can choose to ignore) as well as a more complex map (which you can't) compared to the US edition. The extra gameplay elements are actually quite clever and I feel they add something, rather than just being a novelty.

The idea of the game is to claim train routes across turn-of-the-century Europe. You start off with some 'tickets' which describe the cities you need to join with train routes. You claim routes by collecting sets of cards, so fundamentally Ticket to Ride is a set collecting game in the rummy family. What makes it special is the contention over the train routes as each player tries to complete their tickets.

Points are scored for joining neighbouring cities together by spending sets of coloured cards you have collected. You also get extra points at the end of the game for each ticket you have completed...and points deducted for tickets you failed to complete. There's also a bonus at the end for the longest contiguous train. The fact that players tickets are hidden to the end means that the winner is not known until the end of the game which keeps interest up until the end.

The Europe edition adds some extra rules which we omit when playing with the kids at their current age. 'Ferries' require you have a certain number of wild cards as part of your set. 'Tunnels' have a potential hidden cost (of extra cards of the same colour) and 'stations' allow a player to use a line owned by another player.

The board and components are excellent quality. The board is very large and folds out to a 2 by 6 square rectangle, where the square is just a little smaller than the box. The map is very nice and the markings very clear. The plastic trains and stations are very quality and the box includes some spares too which is a nice touch. The cards are a good size too but, because this is a set collecting game, require a lot of shuffling.

The game is good fun for adults but I found my children lost interest after a few games. I think it may come back into its own when they're a bit older: probably an 8- or 9-year-old would enjoy it.

Note that the map depicts Europe during industrial revolution with the city names in their local language and historical names from the time, so bear that in mind if you're looking for an educational toy.

5.0 out of 5 stars All aboard the right train, 17 May 2014
Jakeisthecoolest "Jake" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ticket to Ride Europe (Toy)
Super simple to play. Collect cards, trade cards for train routes, most routes wins. Although that said their are a few additional add-ons from the US map version of the game that make it a little more challenging.
I bought this recently to for my wife and I to play. The game itself is great fun, and while luck plays an important part in the game, strategy is also key. As a two player game it is more of a race game with little focus on the other player, and actually we prefer the iPad version as it is quick and we can add computer players.
However, with four or more players the game becomes far more fun and strategic as you have to look ahead and try to outwit you opponent by anticipating their routes.
The down side is that when playing with non-gamer friends it can seem a little daunting as there seem to be so many pieces, but actually they son understand its simplicity and relax into it.
Enjoying it so far and I imagine the range of routes and cards available will give it good replay-ability.
Not perhaps as good as say Settlers of Catan, but it is a solid intro game without too much aggression and it is relatively decent playtime at about 90 mins.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun and Easy To Learn, 22 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Ticket to Ride Europe (Toy)
Ticket to Ride Europe was the second game we bought and it is constantly out. The game is based around completing routes around Europe by building trains to join the cities together. All ciities are in their native language so you can learn some geography at the same time.

The game is set up in less than 5 minutes and 2 players can complete a match in 45-60 minutes, we have started adding extra 20 trains in on a 2 player game to make it more complex (also means more chance of blocking your opponent) which has added a whole new dimension.

Game works well with 4 players as well which can be entertaining watching people compete around key hubs like Paris and Munchen.

If you like games and want something you will play on a regular basis this is highly recommended - I am getting the Nordic edition next!

Ticket to Ride Europe