5.0 out of 5 stars "Trainy" enough for him, but not too "trainy" for me
We got this game because the other half likes trains and we enjoy playing games (both together and with friends), so this seemed like a good mix and different to our other games.

Published on 4 Jan 2007 by Amber

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends what you like, I suppose
Bought as a present for someone who has extensively played the online version. It's basically a combination of a collecting game, a race game and rummy. Not very strategic or interactive between the players, with a high degree of luck.

But the people I was playing it with enjoyed it. So if you prefer "Sorry" to Monopoly or Risk, this might be the...
Published 8 months ago by Mr. Lionel Stock

5.0 out of 5 stars "Trainy" enough for him, but not too "trainy" for me, 4 Jan 2007
Amber (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ticket to Ride Europe (Toy)

There are several different versions of this game, including the original Ticket to Ride (which is US based), but we chose this one as the map is of Europe and we read some reviews that said it is easier to learn, teach and play than the original. I don't know about the original, but this is certainly easy enough to learn.

The basic idea is that players draw tickets (say London to Frankfurt) and then you have to connect these two cites along pre-set routes on the board using small plastic trains and by playing coloured cards. You frequently have a choice of routes, and you don't get points for "directness", only for being able to get between the two locations on the ticket - If you choose to go via Moscow that's up to you. You also get points for longer steps, so Edinburgh to London is a longer step than Berlin to Essen, thus it costs more (in terms of cards and plastic trains), but you get more points. The more tickets you can satisfy, the more points you get, but there are penalties for tickets left in your hand that you can't use.

In terms of the game, it takes upto about an hour and a half, depending on number of players, how long people take to think and their strategy - we typically take about 45 mins for a two player game. There is a resonable amount of luck involved, but quite a bit of strategy and although the game plays well with any number of players, it is most chaotic with 3 or 5 players (due to a very clever little rule change). For a family board game, it is not cheap, but you do get quite a lot of quality bits for your money (including 45 plastic trains per player), and it's a well thought out game with a big board and lots of cards with a nice feel to them.

In summary, it's a good game that's not just for Christmas and has a lot replayability. If you like playing "modern Euro boardgames" (ie games, typically from Germany, with a little more to them than Monopoly and Cludo) or have a thing about trains, then this is definitely for you. However, if you haven't exerienced modern boardgames, there are other, cheaper options to try first (like Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan etc.), but this should be next on your list once you are addicted.

In our view, although it's not cheap, it's well worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant game, 28 Feb 2007
F. Edgar "cone" (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ticket to Ride Europe (Toy)
A brilliant game! It is best played with 3 or 4 players although it can be played with 2 or 5. The names of the countries on the European version (don't know about other versions) are the names of those places in 1901 which can sometimes make things confusing but once you learn it is OK. It is quite quick to learn the game becase the rules, although fairly long, are simple.

On the whole it is down to luck of which routes you get (e.g: Paris to Edinburgh) and how well those tie in with the long route or if any other players have similar routes. It is also luck as to which carriage colours you pick up in order to complete the route. The set is very durable and well made and good value for money for the high play value that can be gained from it. An excellent buy. 5 out of 5!

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to learn. Difficult to master. Great fun., 11 Jan 2012
R. EVANS (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ticket to Ride Europe (Toy)
After introducing Ticket to Ride Europe to our game's group last night, I had to write up on how much fun everyone is having with this great game.

I had purchased the game merely 5 days ago, and my Girlfriend and I had played it non-stop. By the time we took it to our friends' house, we had come to realise that the game was not only incredibly easy to teach to others; but that it was also quite addictive. Following on basic game turn rotation like Catan, with the mixed element of linking rail lines, the game mechanics are notoriously simple. You draw cards, match the colours of the cards with the routes you want, lay down you trains, and subsequently create train networks. People tactically block off the routes you want, you use stations to by-pass this and the game ends when people get close to running out of trains. So if you're not into complex mechanics, or just want a simple game that has instant replay value, then this will be for you.

Even playing with 3 new players, the game took no longer than an hour and a half of set up and play time. So the added benefit is that it won't consume your time if you don't have it like other games of mine do, like Arkham Horror or Dominant Species. The great thing I noticed is that within a short time, people were making quite complex strategies to win the game, and at no point was the game decided until the last few rounds due to a constant shifting power balance which also makes the game quite tense by the end.
As a comment on quality and durability, the trains are made from good thick plastic in shiny colours and the board and cards are very brightly printed. One addition we liked was that our colour blind friend could play without much difficulty as all of the routes and the train cards are symbol printed. I rarely ever rate durability as full marks (despite my distain of the star system anyway), due to the fact that parts are cardboard and cards will at some point get damaged and deteriorate. Although I will add that if look after your game but still play it regularly, it should last you for many years.

Lastly, mine and others only niggle is the limited long route cards (6) and ticket cards (45). Within a short amount of time, you begin to learn the long routes and the normal routes in the tickets. However, some may argue that this adds a tactical element to the game as you have to be a bit sneaky and clever to complete your routes. Regardless, we wanted more so I have purchased the 1912 expansion for Europe, which has made the overall game more expensive. So with this, the game is not perfect in my eyes, but it's so much fun and so widely playable to so many audiences it's very hard to fault it that much.

A great game to play, easy to learn, quick and highly repayable.

R. Evans 2012.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbingly addictive, 11 May 2009
WilburII (Calne, Wilts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ticket to Ride Europe (Toy)
I'll not describe the mechanisms etc because that's been done well enough elsewhere. Instead I'll just pass on our experience so you can judge whether you think you'd like it too.

I've been a board gamer for longer than I care to think and wanted to buy it for ages; but hesitated because you need a willing opponent and I wasn't sure how it would go down at home. So it wasn't until recently that my wife's hairdresser mentioned it to her and raved about it that I got the go ahead to splash the cash.

I bought it on Friday and we played that evening (2 parents and 2 teenage girls), and again on Saturday and Sunday and we've had 3 different winners - only the youngest has yet to get there but she's not been last either so it's not an age thing.

So, we're still learning; but the whole family enjoyed it on all occasions. It does require a bit of luck in getting routes that suit each other and also the flow of the cards; but so far it's not been clear that one person is running away with it until right at the end which means everyone is still committed to it rather than giving up.
I suspect that if you know the routes well enough you can deduce where people are going and start playing negatively by nabbing useful cards or routes; but with four positive players the only spoilers were accidental, and there's no need to be nasty. There are some points in the rules which we've discovered can be used to your advantage if you think far enough ahead - such as not picking up any more destination cards once you've completed a number of routes and have scored your points that way but then just keep playing to extend your line of track and to play out the carriages to score points that way.

All in all, a lot to recommend it as there's little to argue over, a lot to think about and more to enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a favourite after a year, 17 Nov 2007
K. Beaven - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ticket to Ride Europe (Toy)
Others have described this game well. I would simply add that we have played this with both family and friends and it has proved a reliable hit that people have been keen to replay, and in at least one case, buy for themselves. We got it last Xmas and it is still probably our favourite game.
One good feature (among many) is that although you know how you are doing in terms of your objective, you cannot be sure exactly how the other players are faring. So you don't know until the final scoring who has won, which keeps interest going for all players throughout the game.
The game has got a good quality feel to it and is satisfying and enjoyable to play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun addition to a household's games, 16 July 2014
This review is from: Ticket to Ride Europe (Toy)
I was initially going to buy Ticket to Ride, however I wanted a game that would play very well with just two players as well as have the ability to expand to more and Ticket to Ride Europe seemed to fit the bill best.

It's a shame that quite a lot of people who have Monopoly and Risk in the house haven't heard of Ticket to Ride (Europe) as it's a similar level of difficulty and is fun to play.

The aim of the game is to gain points buy building train lines to complete routes across Europe. I'll let other reviewers going into game play more thoroughly.

This is a fun game and other than some of the smaller details (such as stations) is very fast to pick up. I've only played it with other adults but it could easily be a family game as it's no more difficult to learn than a game like Monopoly. There's something really nice about seeing your train lines travel across Europe and the cards and board are attractive. With two players you're often not competing for the same line of tracks so if you're not in the mood for an intensely competitive game this is quite nice. With more players I imagine it would get more competitive.

My dad hasn't really played a board game since he used to play children's games with me when I was a child and I introduced him to Ticket to Ride Europe wondering how he'd find it. It took him a game to pick it up and he seemed a bit unsure of it, however a few days later he asked if we could have another game and since then we've played it multiple times.

I haven't played any of the Ticket to Ride series other than Ticket to Ride Europe so can't compare this to them, however this is a well balanced game that's fun to play and a good addition to a household's games.

5.0 out of 5 stars All aboard the right train, 17 May 2014
This review is from: Ticket to Ride Europe (Toy)
Super simple to play. Collect cards, trade cards for train routes, most routes wins. Although that said their are a few additional add-ons from the US map version of the game that make it a little more challenging.
I bought this recently to for my wife and I to play. The game itself is great fun, and while luck plays an important part in the game, strategy is also key. As a two player game it is more of a race game with little focus on the other player, and actually we prefer the iPad version as it is quick and we can add computer players.
However, with four or more players the game becomes far more fun and strategic as you have to look ahead and try to outwit you opponent by anticipating their routes.
The down side is that when playing with non-gamer friends it can seem a little daunting as there seem to be so many pieces, but actually they son understand its simplicity and relax into it.
Enjoying it so far and I imagine the range of routes and cards available will give it good replay-ability.
Not perhaps as good as say Settlers of Catan, but it is a solid intro game without too much aggression and it is relatively decent playtime at about 90 mins.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, designed with great game play, 31 Dec 2008
This review is from: Ticket to Ride Europe (Toy)
My husband and I often struggle to find board games that keep our interest and can be played with two players.

The game itself is beautifully made but you will need some room for the board - kitchen table perhaps.

In the box are little train carriages (40+), destination cards (some short and others long rail routes), player counters (moves along the score board around the outer edge of the board) and train cards (a very large set of cards with different coloured trains on) and a lovely large instruction book in full colour. You also get a web-site address to play on-line.

Game play set up - simple once you have played it once.

Basically each player chooses 2 destination cards (although more can be used). The board is essentially a map of Europe with major cities marked on them. Between each city are spaces to place your carriages.

These spaces are coloured. For example, you might see 2 pink spaces to place carriages from Madrid to Barcelona OR 5 black spaces to get from Madrid to Paris.

To place your carriages along the track you have to collect train cards of that colour. So, in this example, to start your journey from Madrid to Barcelona you need to have collected 2 pink cards for that journey section.

You take it in turns to pick up train cards, collect the right colours or play them in return for placing your carriages. Placing carriages scores points. Highest points wins.

Luck element:

1) You might pick up a lucky card which can represent any colour.
2) You choose from a lucky draw of destination cards - so you might only have a choice of harder routes to make up!

Strategy element:

1) Choosing which destinations cards to use (these are routes you must build up) Choose wrong and if you don't complete the route you lose points.
2) Games ends when a player has only two carriages left to place - so use carriages wisely.
3) Block routes that you think your opponent is trying to achieve (they will have to go round you or use another method).
4) You can take a short cut by using tracks that go through tunnels or take a ferry - but another twist in game play involves an element of luck.

We played it three times in two days and will take a long time to get board of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This will have you hooked!, 18 Oct 2008
Mr. David James Manby (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ticket to Ride Europe (Toy)
We recently started playing games with our friends and particularly enjoyed the ones with Spiel de Jahres honours. This one however was not a winner I believe, but its fantastic!

We have had hours of fun with this game and has left us argueing for hours about who ruined the other persons chances of victory. Its even left us playing on a Friday night when we really should be doing something less sad.

Im not really a train fan but the playability of this game is what makes it so good. Its easy to learn and is different every time you play.

If you play games like settlers, then this one is a definate to add to your collection!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ticket to Ride, 19 Feb 2009
M. Lowry (Anglesey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ticket to Ride Europe (Toy)
This is a really good board game, which everyone we have played it with has enjoyed (several people have gone on to purchase it). It comes into its own with 4-5 players. Each player has three short journeys to make, and one long one. You don't know the journeys the other players have to make. You have to collect cards to purchase sections of your route between train stops - making up your journey. But other people can (knowingly or unknowingly) block you off. You earn points for each section you complete, and additional points for each journey card you complete.

Ticket to Ride Europe