5.0 out of 5 stars Mark certainly hasn�t fallen!
Published on 28 April 2005

2.0 out of 5 stars His other albums are great but this just smells of being studio led rather ...
His other albums are great but this just smells of being studio led rather than artist driven. He's better than this.
Published 2 months ago by chris cummings

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Mark certainly hasn�t fallen!, 28 April 2005
This review is from: How The Mighty Fall (Audio CD)
Wow! I purchased the album this week after seeing Mark in Manchester a few weeks ago and after just 24 hours of the album being in my hands, I am already a big fan of it. "Green Man" didn't do much for me really apart from Clementine, and "In Your Own Time" was a very listenable album, but his latest work is a total triumph and one that Mark should be very very proud of. Tracks to shout about could easily include all of them, but I really do favour "They Do" "Hail Mary" and the intro to "Wasting Away" is just beautiful, I remember hearing that for the first time at the gig and the whole room stood silent in awe of its great craftsmanship. Mark has proven with writing and co-writing this entire album that he is truly a great songsmith and I can't wait for future work from Mark. He certainly hasn't fallen and I think he'll be in the industry for a long long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars The boys done good, 23 Mar. 2006
This review is from: How The Mighty Fall (Audio CD)
Sitting in my friends room, three songs came on in a row. I believe they were four minute warning, child and believe in the boogie. I was instantly entralled. I asked him who it was that I was listening to, never expecting the answer I was to hear...Mark Owen...yes, ex of Take That Mark Owen! So decided to get his album and give it a go and to be honest, the boys done good. I honestly believe that had he never been in Take That, Mark would have a much better reputation and solo career then he does now. One thing he does have is far more talent then Robbie Williams. Give Mark a shot and I am sure you will be pleasently surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch!, 10 April 2005
LAURA MANLEY (CARDIFF, SOUTH GLAMORGAN United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How The Mighty Fall (Audio CD)
I've been a fan since day one and he never disapoints! Every track is one for the "repeat" button and if like me, when it isn't in your Sterio at home, it'll be in your car. Buy it and support him so we can keep having more of the same! Saw him in a gig recently - He really delivers, just like his album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 28 April 2005
This review is from: How The Mighty Fall (Audio CD)
Buy this album - you'll be so glad you did....
The songs are all very different but all equally excellent from the jaunty 'Waiting for the Girl' to the beautiful 'Sorry Lately'. Mark puts huge emotion in to all his songs and the result is outstanding.
Should you have any pre-conceived ideas about Mark's music, leave them at the door. I promise you that by the second listen, you'll love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars give it a chance, 6 April 2005
This review is from: How The Mighty Fall (Audio CD)
For those who still don't know, who still hesitate because he used to be in a boyband or whatever please take a good listen at it and you won't be able to take it off your cd player...The music and the lyrics will surely take you to a place you'll like...Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The versatile Mark Owen, 4 Dec. 2012
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: How the Mighty Fall (Audio CD)
It's a shame that Take That member Mark Owen's third (and so far last) album was a commercial failure - I'm torn between which one of his two strongest solo albums is the best, 'In Your Own Time' or 'How The Mighty Fall'.

Mark proves once again that he is a great singer who can write good songs, both quirky and emotional. I would probably say that this is more of a rock album that his other two ('Green Man' was distinctly Britpop and 'How The Mighty Fall' was Pop/Rock), but it's hard to categorise for sure, because there is much variety. The only thing that tracks like the off-the-wall 'Waiting for the Girl' and bouncy single 'Believe in the Boogie' have in common in terms of musical style is the same voice.

All of the tracks are worth repeated listens, 'Sorry Lately' is one of my favourites but the song that really impresses me is the flop single 'Hail Mary', a big, gentle ballad, and one of Mark's all time greatest songs that really should have been a huge hit. The one single that was a sizable hit (top 30) here is the feel good pop song 'Makin' Out', which is another standout.

If you enjoy Mark Owen as a solo artist, this album (his least successful) is something of a work of art, and well worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont Miss Out !!, 19 April 2005
This review is from: How The Mighty Fall (Audio CD)
Outstanding !! gets better and better with each listen !! highly recommended !! Believe in the Boogie and Hail Mary are fantastic songs....

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most unique albums I've heard in a long time, 18 April 2007
This review is from: How The Mighty Fall (Audio CD)
This is an excellent album and highly recommended. It's very different to Mark's 1st album "Green Man" - which I also enjoyed - which had a very Britpop feel to it and in some ways feels quite dated 10 years down the line.

In "How the Mighty Fall" Mark has discovered his individual style and his confidence certainly shines through. However this is far from comfortable listening in places and demands the full attention of it's listener. With a much harder sound, quirky and emotional in parts, this is one of the most unique albums I have heard in a long time. Every track is exceptional and lovingly crafted - there are no fillers here - and perfectly suit Mark's distinctive vocals. Listening to the descriptive and heartfelt lyrics one wonders just how much success and critical acclaim both it and he would've received if the money had been there to promote it to a wider audience. One also wishes one had discovered it a lot sooner.

If you like the more rockier songs on Take That's "Beautiful World" or some of the plethora of singer/songwriters around at the moment give "How the Mighty Fall" a listen. There's a good chance you'll like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, 25 Aug. 2005
Suz (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How The Mighty Fall (Audio CD)
I was nervous when I first listened as I had liked both of his previous albums so much that I worried that this wouldn't compare. I am pleased to say that I need not have worried as once again Mark has pulled together a great set of songs! The words make sense, you can relate to what he is singing and that's what makes a great album in my opinion!
Excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!, 25 Aug. 2005
This review is from: How The Mighty Fall (Audio CD)
I was a bit worried when I first went to listen to this album as I had enjoyed Green Man and In you own time so much that I was not sure that this could compare but I was wrong to worry and it hasn't left my cd player since!
Just listen to the well written lyrics and sit back and enjoy!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

How The Mighty Fall
How The Mighty Fall by Mark Owen (Audio CD - 2005)