5.0 out of 5 stars astonishing sound
Published on 19 May 2006 by THEWHITLAM

3.0 out of 5 stars The Eagles have landed.
First thoughts were credits for the chiropractor on the booklet,oops!
A little lukewarm to start and the inevitable shock of time waiting for no man.
But stay with it. All the stuff you know and more.
Only four of the boys left now but they covered well for Mr Felder.
Some really nice musicianship and the immaculate timing we are used too.
If you...
Published on 2 July 2005 by Mr C W Nobbs

5.0 out of 5 stars astonishing sound, 19 May 2006
THEWHITLAM (leafy Clapham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Farewell 1 Tour - Live From Melbourne [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
I was more or less addicted to the Hell freezes Over DVD and had been hitherto disappointed that there weren't other Eagles DVD's. The new album is just as breathtaking in the clarity of picture and DTS sound.I genuinely believe this new one and the Hell freezes Over are the best-recorded music DVD's I have ever heard. The set is standard, with each Eagle showcased from time to time. Don Henley gets plenty of centre-stage, as we would expect but the comic moments all go to Joe Walsh who recounts his alcoholism as a preface to 'One day at a time' and later, on Disc 2 harks back to 'Life's Been Good to me so far', while sporting the hilarious helmet camera and flashy trousers. You get all the great songs on this 2-DVD set and you won't be disappointed. If only I could afford to go and see them live at Wembley!

5.0 out of 5 stars angler56, 11 Aug. 2006
A. Dickson "angler56" (wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Farewell 1 Tour - Live From Melbourne [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
I have been an eagles fan for over 30 years and this dvd of them certainly brought back some great memories. The music is better than you would expect from a band that has been around as long as they have. The dvd quality is the best i have seen and makes this a must have for any fan. They have still got it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Eagles-Farewell Tour part one, 19 Mar. 2007
P. S. Harper (staffordshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Farewell 1 Tour - Live From Melbourne [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
After reading in a well respected hi-fi mag.a description of the Eagle's Hell Freezes Over album'Old fat musicians who hate each other and don't need the money dont make for a great performance but this managed to be doubly offensive by becoming an a/v standard as well'.This intrigued me so I bought it on vinyl and thoght it excellent.Having recently purchased a plasma and surround sound kit I thought I'd give Eagles Farewell Live a try.Being a hi-fi buff and former hi-fi retailer not much surprises me but I was stunned by the results from this disc.Pin-sharp pictures,great performance and superb sound quality.The Eagles performing LIVE in your living room ? You better believe it!!!Every vocal harmony,every drum beat reproduced with a thunderous thud hitting you in the chest.Follow Timothy B Schmit's superb bass lines note for note.Every wannabee pop idol should listen to Don Henley's superb breathy delivery on 'Wasted Time' and weep.Listen to and watch the interplay between Schmit's bass playing and the lead guitar on 'I can't tell you why'-mesmerisng.On Glenn Frey's own 'You belong to the city'the saxaphone from the rear speakers sends chills down the spine-it's so real!I could go on.If you have a T.V but no surround sound kit buy this disc for its content and great picture quality.If you also own decent surround sound kit buy this disc NOW ,turn down the lights,turn up the volume and enjoy but BE WARNED--support your chin before playing--to prevent your jaw from hitting the floor!!!Fat old men going through the motions or talented musicians who together create a whole greater than the sum of the parts showing why 30 years after their heyday they were the best group around.You decide.For me,seeing what is possible with this disk I have one regret- Jackson Browne has not produced a live DVD- I live in hope!

5.0 out of 5 stars Farewell 1 - versus - Hell Freezes Over, 13 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Farewell 1 Tour - Live From Melbourne [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
Was given "Farewell 1" for my birthday. Came on here to find a couple of reviewers who said they prefer Hell Freezes Over. So I couldn't wait to hear that DVD, as Farewell 1 is simply superb.
Jeez! what a disappointment.
Yes Hell Freezes Over is ten years older than Farewell 1, but doesn't it show it. Being their first reunion concert, they are not at ease, and it comes thro' in the music. In saying all this, I still gave it 3 stars. It is THE EAGLES after all!
On Farewell 1 - the harmonies are outstanding, the musicianship is without flaw, and Joe Walsh's contribution just gets better with age. Yes I know there are a host of session musicians on Farewell 1, but aren't they put to excellent use.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Eagles Have Landed, 25 Oct. 2006
Michael Walpole (Norwich,Norfolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Farewell 1 Tour - Live From Melbourne [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
Believe it or not the first music DVD I have bought and what an excellent choice.Never been a dyed in the wool Eagles fan but often heard their records on the radio over the years and thought I would give this a try.Amazing how good they sound live and giving it their all! Picture quality is great,a real first time treat would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Farewell Tour part one is truly great, 19 Jan. 2007
Mrs. Janet E. Bayley (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Farewell 1 Tour - Live From Melbourne [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
Having bought this for my husband for Christmas, I love it just as much as he does. The songs are great the musicians fantastic and altogether make for a brilliant DVD

JB

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have DVD for Eagles fans, 27 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Farewell 1 Tour - Live From Melbourne [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
I couldnt wait to see this DVD when I heard it was being released and I was not disappointed when I did. There is so much material on the DVD, theres something for everyone, and the quality, the timing and the harmonies are perfect. It was good to see Don Henley doing some of his solo stuff - Boys of Summer, All She Wants to Dance were particularly good. I think its a must have DVD - I hope theres more Farewell tours to come as the Eagles are as good at performing as they always have been, in no way are they anywhere near past it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eagles Farewell 1 Tour Live from Melbourne, 30 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Farewell 1 Tour - Live From Melbourne [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
Over 2 and a half hours of pure gold , the Eagles sound as good today as they did back in the seventies . The mix of ages in the audience show their music appeals to everyone , many of them weren't probably born 'first time around'. The two new songs were excellent , the classics are still timeless and it was wonderfully rounded off with my personal all time favourite , Desperado .

Absolutely brilliant , this dvd will never leave my side !

5.0 out of 5 stars A lesson in quality for all other bands, 19 Oct. 2009
Dm Blackwell "Dazmb" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Farewell 1 Tour - Live From Melbourne [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
This is an amazing concert film. Note perfect as always, The Eagles are in fine form performing just about every song you would want them to play (ok, I'd like Ol' 55 - but they will never play that).

Sound quality is great, although my Region 1 copy doesn't have a 5.1 PCM track, only Stereo and DTS (not sure if European version does). But the real revelation is the video quality. My god it's like watching HD! It's that good. I have 20+ concert DVD's and I've never seen quality so high. I guess it's The Eagles, and they don't penny pinch on quality. They can afford the best (the cost of Eagles tickets no wonder!).

The band are on good form, and Joe Walsh is a HOOT! That guy may be out of his tree from his drink fuelled past, but he's good fun with it.

My only slight gripe is that I'm not sure the setting for the concert is the best - seems an odd venue to film, the Rod Laver tennis centre. The roof may be over, but kept thinking that a tennis match will start any moment! Plus, the concert seems to be overly bright. I know they have to light up the shows that are recorded for video/TV, but the lighting seems a too bright sometimes. It's almost like daytime in there!

But it's a small complaint against an otherwise amazing DVD release.

Rock on guys.

5.0 out of 5 stars If all farewells were like this I'd never want them to end, 30 May 2010
R. F. Stevens "richard23491" (Ickenham UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Farewell 1 Tour - Live From Melbourne [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
Superb surround sound, immaculate photography, precision performances, but best of all played with heart, feeling, soul, and enjoyment. What more could anyone want? Almost all of my favourites are here, and in several instances the performances are better than the original studio CDs. Simply amazing.

I had heard all sorts of stories about the acrimony between them, but watching this I cannot believe them, the band were just having too good a time! I think the passage of years has allowed them all to realise that their whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts, and that they inspire each other to greater heights. Their melodic music and cunning lyrics transcend country and soul and rock, and have a life and place of their own.

This should be an essential part of any collection of great concerts. It should be a part of any Eagles fan's collection. Even if you are not an especial fan of the Eagles, or concerts, buy it for the fantastically hi-fi surround sound and superb photography! I normally do not bother with music DVDs, but this one has made me change my attitude.

Farewell 1 Tour - Live From Melbourne [2005] [DVD]