4.0 out of 5 stars Consistancy from the master DJ
Published on 22 Jun 2005 by Simon J. Whight

3.0 out of 5 stars Technical masterpiece let down by bland track selection....
I'm a bit of an Ableton addict myself so I really bought this CD to try and learn from Sashas techniques as he used Live 5.0 to mix 'fundacion'.

Published on 17 July 2006 by R. Mullaney

4.0 out of 5 stars Consistancy from the master DJ, 22 Jun 2005
Simon J. Whight "fourfourfun" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: sasha (Audio CD)
I found myself approaching this mix with an already increasing sense of disappointment even before the headphones hit my ears. A review here crying "What has become of our beautiful Sasha!?" led me to start believing that the great one was indeed falling from grace if the hardcore Sasha-ites were despairing over his latest work. After having a listen, I can only think what on Earth have these people been listening to? Perhaps there was a mispressing and they got a freakish copy of an EP of Crazy Frog remixes. I don't know.
While not the most astonishing mix I've heard in recent times, its still a step in the right direction. Where Airdrawndagger was fair enough, it lacked punch. Sasha took his production know how and applied it to what he does best, creating ace remixes and thus we had Involver. Fundacion keeps following the path that Sasha has set before him but this time its an actual variety of artist tracks laid before our ears. Its refreshing to see the big name DJs steering away from progressive dullness of recent, letting melodies, glitchy beats, dirty electroid funk and scatterings of vocals slip into their sets ... no doubt due to the rise in power of more experimentally minded tech-house DJs. Even though Sasha has picked up on this shift in power on the scene, when you hear these tunes mixed together, it has nothing other than the official stamp of 'SASHA' across each track. Those glacial synths, the seamless flow of tracks.
Thanks to the mixing software used on this album, you don't get to hear some tracks shine as such, but used as elements to enhance other tracks. Of moments to bring a smile to my lips there is ace Depeche Mode cover from Playgroup, the latter section of the mix where Freaky Chakra takes everything a bit offkilter by introducing 6/4 rhythms and Goldfrapp pick up the baton to move into glam electro territories. Certainly an ambitious mix.
I remember reading ages ago that Sasha was planning to do a series of 3 DJ mixes for Global Underground. We've had a mix of remixes from Involver and a mix from the laptop with Fundacion, I'd seriously like to see Mr Coe follow in the steps of Mr Digweed's Fabric mix and go back to grass roots for his final mix in the series, putting Ableton Live or whatever he is getting his hands on to play around with aside. Sasha, some decks and some pure dancefloor material ... a bit of raw energy. It has to be done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wicked Soundscape, 26 Jun 2005
Simon J. Whight "fourfourfun" (Manchester) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not involver 2, but still good, 14 Jun 2005
This review is from: sasha (Audio CD)
So Sasha's back with the follow-up to Involver. However, if you were expecting something similar to this album's predecessor, you will be disappointed.
The album begins with some sci-fi style vocals(desination...planet earth... engage sound system etc.)
This, I thought was a worrying start. The last album I bought with something similar at the beginning was by Aphrodite - hardly the same class as Sasha.
However, once this bizarre sequence is over (2mins in) we start to get into the proper music. I won't go through each track one by one, as there will be others that can do this more adeptly, rather I will sum up the CD overall.
The music reminds me very much of Darren Emerson in Singapore (another GU release). Whilst I could put Involver on, and drift away to its blissful sounds this offering is much more upbeat, some bit of it almost reminiscent of Deep Dish.
I am a great believer in both of those artists, and Sasha offers a variation on their themes. For me, it really works - it's faster and more energetic than Involver and the track selection and mixing is more "housey".
The fact is, that this shouldn't be compared to Involver. It's a completely different kettle of fish. It's inspired by New York City, so was always going to be something that reflects the hustle of the NY life, and it's this that Sasha's got down almost to a tee.
This could almost have been part of the GU series - "Sasha in New York", which would set expectations slightly differently - but probably more appropriately. Fundacion brings Sasha back towards what's going on the rest of the scene whereas for me Involver was all about setting himself apart from the rest of the crowd.
That's not to say it's a bad record, far from it... just something to put on at the start of a party rather than towards the end.
Ian

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply darkly chilled. A different direction again., 23 Jun 2005
MR ROBERT T NOBLE (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: sasha (Audio CD)
I saw a 1 star rating from a Sasha fan for this album and felt compelled to write my first review in 5 years (since raving incoherently about Sasha: GU San Fransisco)
I have noticed several enthusiasts of Sasha's previous work scoring his recent albums with quite lowly 3 and even 1 stars. It seems people expect this musical genius to create a Global Underground or Northern Exposure or Renaissance album over and over again. A year later and they complain that the new one isn't the same as the last one they didn't like.
This guy is creative, progressive, so it's no surprise that each new offering gives us something a little different, something we haven't heard before. This is simply proof Sasha has not lost his creative drive. Thank you God!
Sasha was revered as God on the decks in th '90s, his mixes are far greater in sum than the quality of the individual tracks he uses. All good djs will blend tracks so you lose sense of where one ends and the next begins, and generally mix things up.
But it take a great talent such as Sasha, to keep hold of a harmonic and rhythmic theme picked up early, and run with them and build, drop and build them again all the way through a mix.
Sasha mixes are compositions that turn into 80 minute songs, with continuity and theme never diminishing or forgotten along the way.
Fundacion is no exception. This is seriously smooth deeply chilled, and as well blended as Sasha's GU Ibiza mix. He's done it again.
Well I'm ranting again, can't help it. looking forwards to hearing what he comes up with next.
Glad you've found joy in the mix (Maven) again Sasha. Keep it coming! (Now do us a 5 hour DTS audio DVD).

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun-what?, 22 Jun 2005
This review is from: sasha (Audio CD)
Like so many I have always been a fan of Sasha's, however when push came to shove, side-by-side I always preferred the darker more progressive mixes put together by John Digweed. Sasha's mixes were often monotonous and dispassionate, sometimes even boring (Global Underground Series) - however on mixes like Renaissance Volume one they were pure genius. Similarly his album was in my opinion a mixed bag although his remix album Involver was much better and more varied.
So it was with a degree of scepticism I approached this album. Here is a DJ who's work on Renaissance One (Digweed took over completely on vol.2) set the benchmark whilst later mixes like Northern Exposure Expeditions were almost sleep inducing. That said when I've seen Digweed and Sasha live it's always been Sasha who's mixes have blown me away. So perhaps it's difficult to distil this onto a CD.
Fundacion however is a good album, very good. Sasha's 'sound' is there, it's soft and melodic but this time it's not boring thanks to a really good choice of tracks. The CD opens in a similar way to Carl Cox's earlier albums with a definite Sci-Fi bent which I thought was quite strange for Sasha. Later tracks that stand out for me are Phonique's '99 & A Half' my tune of the moment and Mr Playgroup's 'Behind the Wheel' (Check out Playgroup's first album!).
As far as 'MAVEN' goes well I need to listen a few more times, Sasha's 'mixes' were always quite long so I guess MAVEN facilitates this without the need for pitch shifting being digital and all. That said his recent essential mix (Maida Vale) was way better than this album imo. However if you're looking for a mix you'll want to listen to this summer on holiday, in the car or when you've got a few friends round this CD is it. Only problem is people will constantly be nagging you to ask what it's called and you'll have to reply with "Fundashion"...?

4.0 out of 5 stars Sasha Last Man Standing, 14 July 2005
This review is from: Fundacion NYC (Audio CD)
After reading some fairly negative reviews i bought fundacion not expecting to like it. Having been a fan of Sasha since the 98 99 Global undergrounds with mainstays oakenfold, Nick Warren, John Digweed current mix albums lacking fire Sasha to me is the only one left pushing things. He s blurring the edges with Abbleton live and it might not be everyones cup of tea but personally i'd prefer he try things than turn stale like oaky. A Good album 4 Stars time for another GU Release so he can reclaim his best DJ in the world Crown.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Involver, 3 Sep 2006
This review is from: Fundacion NYC (Audio CD)
For me this is Sasha's best mix since the GU Ibiza mix. I liked Involver but found it too plodding, this for me works far better as a condensed mix. The track selction in the first half is bordering on perfection as the blending between the tracks aided by Ableton and copious effects thrown in helps to keep the mix chugging along whilst building and dropping in bits and pieces from the tracks for minutes at a time. Sarts slowly, has some lovely ambient moments but from Funk D'Void onwards the music starts to pick-up.

I personally think that Goldfrapp tune was possibly a bit obvious as I'm not sure you'd hear that in his set but this is a CD to be listened to in the context of home, car, headphones etc. so I can see why he included it. Anyway, who are we to question, it's his mix after all.

I've seen Sasha DJing twice in the last 2 years and feel this CD is a true reflection of what he's knocking out these days, he played a fair bit of breaks when I last heard him at Fabric which may have been due to the venue's fame for that style of music.

I personally think this is one of his best mixes, better than Involver IMO which never really grabbed me tbh. It's Sasha with a healping of Zebiela thrown in, munging beats and sounds but still the classic Sasha prog-house emotion there. He's updated his sound massively which started with the release of Airdrawndagger without trying to totally reinvent himself and sacrifice what we all liked about his music from the beginning.

3.0 out of 5 stars Technical masterpiece let down by bland track selection...., 17 July 2006
R. Mullaney (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Fundacion NYC (Audio CD)

Technically speaking this is a masterpiece of programming and every time I listen to it I notice new layers of sound drifting in and out of the soundscape. Sasha says that Ableton Live 5.0 has rejuvenated him and his interest in DJing and I applaud him for taking his performances forward into the digital era. The main problem with Fundacion is that it's a little too progressive for its own good. Too many tracks are included because they fit in key with the track before it and not because it's a killer tune. There are some great tunes on here such as Beanfields 'Tides', Phoniques '99 & a Half' and Andre Kramls 'Safari' but most of the set is filler in my opinion. It's all well and good playing dark and moody house if you build it up to more driving peaks but this mix never really gets there.

Sasha is still a legend but he is yet to match his brilliant 1999 Ibiza mix on Global Underground.

3.0 out of 5 stars No Fun(dacion), 27 Mar 2006
This review is from: Fundacion NYC (Audio CD)
The moment you start giving pet names to electronic equipment you have to worry.

The signs were certainly there during "Involver" that times are indeed a changing. Turning his back on a decade of clubbing euphoria, Sasha has set his sights on becoming an innovator, a "serious artist" if you will. I'm not convinced. For all his talk of "pushing boundaries" and "reigniting his passion" he's forgone the basics in favour of electronic butchery.

Too make it easy Sasha has split the album into two halves. Which is nice of him. The first, the melodic, thoughtful house, is the more successful of the two. Christ, during Kosmos Epsilon's "Innocent Thoughts" you almost want to dance. Almost. But quite disturbingly things change during the second half of the proceedings. The usually excellent James Holden offers the generic "Come To Me"; worse still, when Sasha inflicts two versions weighing in at hefty total of well over 15 minutes the mix starts to drag. This is almost forgivable when you compare with the moment, 'The Man Like' one, has a sudden identify crisis as he takes on the persona of Ladytron for the remains of the proceedings. All aboard the electro-clash bandwagon!

There's nothing remotely ground breaking in what Sasha is trying to achieve, contrary to what he would have us believe.

If sacrificing tunes could ever be constituted musical progression of a genre, I for one am more then happy to be stuck in the past.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ableton/Maven, 17 Jun 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: sasha (Audio CD)
Lets face it dance music has been getting quite dull. Trance is repetitive dance by numbers, house music was getting quite lame. Even the likes of the Tidy brothers have been running out of ideas. Sasha's Airdrawndagger was a little disappointing and Involver was an experiment that a lot of dance clubbers didn't like or understand.
Fundacion - changes all of this, it is refreshingly progressive without being boring and done before. It has new sounds and a mood that matches.
If you live in a city, you will identify with this record more than anyone.
Excellent - I can't wait for the next one.

sasha
sasha by Sasha (Audio CD - 2008)