4.0 out of 5 stars Great choice for cost effective radio
Published on 9 July 2010 by A. A. Newman

2.0 out of 5 stars Reception is quite bad - I keep retuning it all the time like ...
Honnestly It's a disapointment - especially for a Sony product... Reception is quite bad - I keep retuning it all the time like if I was living in the desert but I am based in central London. I obviously need to buy another radio...
Published 4 months ago by Laurent Tricottet

4.0 out of 5 stars Great choice for cost effective radio, 9 July 2010
A. A. Newman (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony ICF404L Portable Radio with 3-Band Analogue Tuner (Electronics)
I bought this as a replacement for a bathroom radio so battery life was an important factor (i.e. forget DAB). I normally have the radio on in the bedroom as well so the different time lag between DAB radios was also worth considering. I keep the radio tuned to Radio 4, although my wife occasionally changes to Radio 2 or Classic FM and the manual tuner is fine for this although presets would have been useful. Sound quality and volume are fine. The on/off switch is a slider at the side - I hope it stands up to longterm use. I would recommend this radio for standard use and the battery life so far seems good. Great for voice radio and OK for music. Good value for money

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 13 April 2010
JohnBoy (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
An excellent product at a very good price. Full 3-band radio with FM/MW/LW meeting all my needs including rare access to long wave for test match special. Who needs DAB??? Easy to use controls and so far good sound and battery life. Anyone looking for a simple to use conveniently sized 3-band portable radio at a very good price need look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good little radio, 11 Dec. 2010
I bought one of this in Summer. It's so good I ordered another one now for another room. I recommend this if you want a small good quality radio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine radio with good reception, 16 Dec. 2013
M. Bronstring (Holland) - See all my reviews
I have collected far too many small radio's over the past few years, the latest one being this Sony radio. What can I say?

- It's small enough to take with me when travelling.
- The batteries seem to last long enough (I put 3 batteries in that we 'almost empty' and after two weeks of daily use the radio is still playing).
- The sound is quite nice really, and you have the option to toggle between two settings for it.
- Reception is really good. I'm primarily interested in MW and LW. To give you an idea, here, near the west coast of the Netherlands, I have very clear reception of BBC4 on 198 LW and adequate (albeit a bit noisy) reception of RTE1 on 252 LW. On MW, BBC5 on 693 is excellent and it is separated well enough from Maria at 675 (not all my radio's do this as good as this one). Furthermore, BBC Norfolk on 855 can be heard (and understood quite well), and BBC Kent on 774 can be heard (but less well understood because of the background noise). The latter 2 are indications of a pretty strong reception.
- At night, a high constant beep sound can be heard on some MW/LW stations. This is not unique to this radio. As a matter of fact, it can be made perfectly tolerable by putting the tone switch to 'low'.
- One small 'con', though: the LW band seems to be tuned too 'tight'. There is a station (I think from the Czech Republic) at 271 Khz, but to the right of RTE1 on 252 Khz I cannot hear it at all.

All in all a very good buy; easily recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what it says, 31 Oct. 2011
A neat, handy radio which functions well, has adequate volume and fair tone, and has decent battery life. And a separate on-off switch to save you wearing out the volume control. Even has long wave for cricket fans. Why on earth are they planning to switch off FM in favour of expensive, battery-hungry, poor quality DAB?

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Portable Long Wave, 3 April 2010
Q. Gallagher "Mr G" (Portsmouth, GB) - See all my reviews
I needed a radio that had an earphone socket, Long Wave, and a compact size so I could take it to work for lunchtime listening. This radio provides all these features added to the promise of long battery life due to the analogue dial, easy to follow controls and a good sound. Excellent value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 12 Sept. 2011
A neat radio mainly used for Radio 4. Speech is good but no idea about music. A bonus is long wave so I can listen to cricket. Excellent value.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a cracker!, 13 April 2012
Pros:
Oozes quality
Reassuring feel to all knobs/switches.
Excellent reception capability for all three wavebands
Helpful tone switch.
Really can't fault this radio.

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant change from DAB, 12 Sept. 2010
After several months of frustration with our PURE DAB radio - slow start up, short battery life etc; decided to go back to FM. This is a good little radio with reasonable sound quality. The tuning is a little fiddly but unless you want to change stations frequently is no real hardship.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 10 Jun. 2010
Mr Gumby "DH" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Excellent little radio, if bigger than I expected, compared with my old Sony portable. My fault for not checking the dimensions. Not that it matters much, and I imagine the sound is better as a result of the size.

Just one irritation - it slides about on its plastic feet, especially on my tiled bathroom shelf. I stuck non-slip plastic pads on the bottom, and it's fine now.