5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE BEST MIX ALBUMS / COMPILATIONS I HAVE EVER HEARD!
Most people will know Erol Alkan from his recent remixes of Mylo and Alter Ego, and from his residency at Bugged Out nights across the country. He is renowned for his fun, eclectic and extremely danceable sets, and this, his first full length mix album is an excellent and enjoyable snapshot of his style.
CD1 of this double disc set is the Bugged Out Mix - and is...
Published on 3 May 2005 by listener

2.0 out of 5 stars What a shame
Published on 24 Dec 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE BEST MIX ALBUMS / COMPILATIONS I HAVE EVER HEARD!, 3 May 2005
listener (Eastbourne, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bugged Out Presents Erol Alkan (Audio CD)
CD1 of this double disc set is the Bugged Out Mix - and is rammed full of some choice selections. It opens with the heavy intro from prog-rockers Deep Purple's Hush, but quickly collapses into Soulwax's remix of their own 'E talking' club hit, whose pace and energy set the tone for the rest of the mix. There are a lot of interesting and immediate acidy techno tunes on here, from the likes of Roman Flugel, Freaks and Sebastian - but it is the surprise mixes and choices that make this a great mix album.
The Vicarious Bliss track is especially funky and mental, and I doubt you will find The New Fast Automatic Daffodils on any other comp, especially with a Goldfrapp acapella superbly worked in to it. The star mixes on here are definitely the combinations of Etienne de Crecy with Simian and the Winx vs. Rapture re-edit which ends the disc in perfect style. Perfect for headphones and parties!
CD2 is the Bugged In Selection, and a far cry from the lame 'chillout' disc most Djs pad out their mixes with. A truly diverse selection of non-club oriented tunes, it will have you coming back again and again. Quite Psychedelic in it's approach, it's a beautiful selection of old and new, and a great contrast to the 1st CD. Favourites on here are the Campag Velocet, Spacemen 3, Wimple winch, Julie London and Gonzales tracks. You could listen to this disc anywhere with anyone, and it's full of stuff you would never know you're missing if it hadn't been compiled here. Again, there are some surprise choices, like 80's soul bods Imagination, but it doesn't throw the mix at all. All in all this is one of the best mix albums I have heard, definitely worth checking out. I would give it 4 and a half stars, but there's no option for that so I plumped with the full 5!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a journey, 11 Oct 2007
Mr. Matthew T. Derrick (Devizes, Wiltshire, ENG) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bugged Out Presents Erol Alkan (Audio CD)
Cd one is a complete and utter banger, start to finish. There's some of the grooviest and dirtiest music out there... I can't help but shake my stuff. Some of which is still working its way to the surface!

But cd two is my highlight... It really takes you on a journey of ecstatic highs and mesmorising tear jerkers (ie Obsessed With Gloom by Campag Velocet and Vapour Trail by Tresspassers William both simply beautiful).
You will have momonts of "what the hell is this...!" and "I know this ONE!"

Just take my word for it, if you like things out of the ordinary and eclectic you'll be right at home here... Its warm, cosy and very friendly. Joy

5.0 out of 5 stars bugged out, 23 Mar 2010
S. F. Smith - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bugged Out Presents Erol Alkan (Audio CD)
quality collection of tracks which blew me away the first time i heard it - stunning!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely FILTHY!, 6 May 2005
H. R. Oram (Bristol, England, UK) - See all my reviews
Dearie, dearie, me...
The "Bugged Out" mix contains some of the FILTHIEST guitar solos ever... tantalising ..and leading onto heavy house beats.
If you like Soulwax / LCD Soundsystem / The Rapture / Death from Above 1979 / Guitars thrashed until they are bleeding over thumping bass... then look no further!
Be warned though, the inlay card is even filthier... prepare to be shocked! But you're not buying this for the artwork... you're buying it because you love driving through town and making people go "whoa, WHAT was THAT!!!??" while you chuckle to yourself and can't help dancing in your seat...
I haven't had much of a chance to listen to the "Bugged In" mix cd, but it starts with birds singing and the first time I heard it I fell into a nice, peaceful snooze... which, I think you'll agree, is the intention of a chilled out mix.
This deserves five stars simply for the eclectic "Bugged Out" mix... the chilled one is simply a BONUS... on that note, I'm going home to listen to it... now. Enjoy.

2.0 out of 5 stars What a shame, 24 Dec 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Bugged Out Presents Erol Alkan (Audio CD)
Erol is one of my favourite DJs and I have seen him live countless times and had some of the best nights out seeing him play. His One Louder mix CD on Mixmag a while back was absolutely outstanding; unfortunately this compilation is a bit disappointing. I think this is partly due to its release during the transitional phase of his musical style from the electroclash / 2 Many DJs style to the tougher bassline electro house / techno sound which he has played a part in pioneering (along with Ivan Smagghe.) Don't get me wrong I 'm not expecting him to continue playing in the same style forever; in fact I saw him playing very recently, and he was very good indeed. There are some of the obvious big tunes of the moment on the first CD, but ultimately if youre an Erol fan, you will probably find this album a bit of a let down.

Bugged Out Presents Erol Alkan
Bugged Out Presents Erol Alkan by Erol Alkan (Audio CD - 2005)