5.0 out of 5 stars Make that four and a half stars
The half star is deducted for the unnecessary addition of the extra instruments in the title track. The hawaiian guitar in particular is annoying.
Published on 29 Mar 2005 by yB

3.0 out of 5 stars Leaves you "satisfied"
Imbruglia had a lot to live up to after her brilliant second album "White Lilies Island". It's difficult to compare "Counting Down the Days" to her previous work, as she has seemingly changed her style. Whilst it is still generally radio friendly rock pop, the songs seem more stripped down, more raw, and more intense.
Some standouts are the first single "Shiver", the...
Published on 24 April 2005

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Make that four and a half stars, 29 Mar 2005
yB (Sunderland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Counting Down the Days (Audio CD)
Otherwise this is a cracker of a CD with a bit of a personality. On first listen the first half dozen tracks can sound a bit similar and a bit bland (maybe because I'm really not a fan of slower tracks) before the CD leaps to life with Sanctuary. But several listens later I must admit they're growers and I'm even starting to forgive the tubular bells on the title track.
The real talent for me on this CD however is in the second half dozen tracks. On The Run is a superb showcase for Ms.Imbruglia's vocals, one of those tracks where you have to stop whatever you were doing so you can listen properly. And while Honeycomb Child sounds similar to the work of several other singers and groups you just can't help but like it.
I think its safe to say this is a CD I'll be putting on my 'in constant use' CD shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nat's Back!!!, 29 April 2005
This review is from: Counting Down the Days (Audio CD)
Natalie Imbruglia returns with her 3rd offering. Counting Down The Days is a well crafted accoustic pop album, her songs are radio friendly yet not dull. Lyrically they are great and she manages to avoid the simple rythming of words.
This album hit no 1 in the UK and it's not hard to see why, Natalie has a hauntingly beautiful voice that is not really comparible to any one else out there at the moment.
This album manages to bridge the gap between White Lilies Island and Left Of The Middle perfectly. Natalie seems to have found her own style on this album.
Stand out tracks
Perfectly
On The Run

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Class, 12 Aug 2005
This review is from: Counting Down the Days (Audio CD)
This Album is even better than Left Of The Middle - I thought it was good on first hearing and it just gets better and better with every playing. Natalie's vocals are really soulful at times and pitched perfectly for the mood of each song. There is some really good contrasting styles here - the pop-friendly 'Shiver' and 'Counting Down The Days' to the haunting and touching 'On The Run'and 'When You're Sleeping'. I just hope we get a tour now!!

4.0 out of 5 stars nat's back, 13 Mar 2005
J. Ball "Joshua Ball" (Valencia, ES) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Counting Down the Days (Audio CD)
Well i wouldn't say i was a huge fan of Natalie Imbruglia, however, i do have all of her albums, so maybe i'm lying to myself. The third album to come from this ex-soap beauty, and what a long way she's come since Ramsey Street.
Counting Down The Days is an excellent return to form. I wasn't a huge fan of her previous offering finding it a bit weak. However, i was still quite excited when i heard about this album, as i was hoping she could recapture the energy of her debut, Left Of The Middle. Well...i was wrong it's totally different to LOTM, however its different in a good way. Its a very mature album, by mature i don't mean for old people, i just mean more character defined, and you can get a sense of what type of person Natalie is on this album, which sounds like a fresh debut from a young talented singer/song writer.
This album finds Natalie pushing sweet melodic pop. Gone is the angst of Torn, Wishing You Were There, and That Day, replaced with confident and beautiful songs. Im wracking my brains trying to compare her with someone, possibly Lene Marlin or maybe Jewel, but i don't think its entirely possible to compare her with anybody contempory.
Stand out tracks are Satisfied, a slightly chirpy number, Shiver, her new single, and Perfectly. However, this albums gels together and is an excellent listen if you want to relax. An excellent return to form, anybody who is a fan of deep but not too instense radio friendly adult pop will love this as much as i do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Counting Down the Days - Review, 10 April 2005
This review is from: Counting Down the Days (Audio CD)
I think that the 'Shiver' song is blinkin' brilliant; especially the video (the video track is only playable on a PC, and the video track is on one of the two singles).
I am so glad the Natalie hasn't fallen for the idea that an artist has to issue a recording reasonably regularly.
Although I don't think some of the tracks are that memorable, most of them are. Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best on yet!, 23 Mar 2006
This review is from: Counting Down the Days (Audio CD)
I didn't actually like Natalie that much. It always seemed to me that the first songs she released from an album were the best. Torn and That Day for instance. Whilst flicking through the box one night, I saw that Nat was once again back, and had a new single "Shiver". I thought this would follow suit, and be the best off the album.
I wasn't that impressed with Shiver, but over time it did grow on me somewhat. My flatmate bought the album, Counting Down The Days, and I stole it from her one night when she was out to give it a listen. I was blown away! The rest of the album (ok with the exception of the last song - Honeycomb Child [Natalie WHAT WERE YOU THINKING]) was fantastic. My favourite songs are Starting Today, Perfectly, Satisfied and When You're Sleeping (which at the time I thought was one of the sweetest songs I'd ever heard).
All in all this album is great. Buy it you won't be disappointed! There are a lot of songs on it that should have been singles instead of Shiver!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great album, 17 April 2005
This review is from: Counting Down the Days (Audio CD)
High quality pop music. Some real stand out tracks like the quirky Satisfied (a brilliant song that took me by surprise), Counting Down the Days (great drums and soaring chorus), Come on Home, and Sanctuary, as of course Shiver.
Takes a couple of listens to have its full impact, but is definitely worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful - a worthy follow up to White Lillies., 9 April 2005
H. R. Trigg "howietUK" (Swindon, Wilts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Counting Down the Days (Audio CD)
Reviewers in the press are calling this album Natalies 'comeback', which I think is slightly unfair, as her previous album 'White Lillies Island' was superb possibly a better album, which is not to say this isn't a good listen. It's only a comeback in as much as the previous album didn't sell well.
The album starts really well, the upbeat and inspiring 'Starting Today', followed by the beautiful first single 'Shiver' and the one of two very poppy tracks on the cd, 'Satisfied' which has got be a single. The title track is slow and melancholic, and also a good track but not the strongest, as her vocal is slightly weak on the chorus. I'm not going to review each track separately, but my highlights are: 'Slow down' (which reminds me of the Carpenters), 'Come on home', which is a stunning, painful, though simple ballad, which I have listened to over and over - the use of the guitar and mandolin together is amazing. If this were the only track worth listening to on the album, the money would not have been wasted, the 2 poppier tracks, 'Satisfied' and 'Sanctuary' (upbeat guitar pop track let down slightly by a lazy chorus), and the gorgeous 1st single and track 1 are all worthy of mention.
Is fair to say this is a really well written album; filled with guitar driven pop / ballads, often melancholic, beautifully sung and written. Natalie Imbruglia is without a doubt a singer first, and actress second, and should be recognised as such.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, 27 May 2005
Kate (South West Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Counting Down the Days (Audio CD)
What an album! It hasn't come out of my cd player in the car or the house since I bought it! (that was 2 months ago!) I was a bit hesitant at first, as it has been some time since her last two albums, and I wasn't sure what to expect.....however her voice is still as fantastic and I love the feel good factor I get when I listen to the album. If you liked/loved her previous albums, this new, grown up, happier album is a must!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good listen!, 7 April 2005
Benson (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Counting Down the Days (Audio CD)
After hearing the single 'Shiver' I thought I would invest in this album. I own the 'Left of the Middle' recording but not 'White Lillies Island' so can only comment on the growth between the two.

Obviously this new recording is a few years down the line so you can't expect Imbruglia to be in the same place lyrically. The songs on Counting Down The Days are more musically uplifting as demonstrated in the first single 'Shiver' - infectious melodies with a strong emphasis on the acoustic guitar and/or piano. The other songs on this album are quite similar atmospherically to 'Shiver' without sounding too similar. I was disheartened to read that 'When You're Sleeping' was a B side to the 'Shiver' single as I found this a particularly beautiful inclusion to the album.

If you were impressed by 'Shiver' get this CD - I think this third outing really proves Imbruglia as an artist; I'd be surprised if anyone really remembered how she was once on Neighbours because she's come so far.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Counting Down the Days
Counting Down the Days by Natalie Imbruglia (Audio CD - 2005)