5.0 out of 5 stars Superb solo album from Matchbox Twenty frontman
I personally believe that Matchbox Twenty's last studio album 'More Than You Think You Are' is the finest album of 2003, so 'Something To Be' had a lot to live up to. I've heard this one half a dozen times now, and I can honestly say it comes pretty close.
Published on 13 May 2005 by M. LLOYD

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I found Rob Thomas's first solo CD to be somewhat lacking in his usual perfectionism. I know he was trying out a different vibe but I think he has written a much better second solo piece in Tears Like Diamonds.
Published 2 months ago by Emmabemma

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb solo album from Matchbox Twenty frontman, 13 May 2005
M. LLOYD "markipoos999" (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Something To Be (Audio CD)
Overall the collection is slightly more commercial than MB20's last release, but opener 'This Is How a Heart Breaks' is a superb commercial rocker in the vein of 'Feel'.
'Lonely No More' is the most commercial track, and it's easy to see that with the new image and poppier slant of this track, Thomas is attempting to apeal to as wide an audience as possible. One can't knock that. It's not as if the music was ever underground.
As usual with his songs, the ballads are first class and his takes on the odd vocal delivery are still one of his most intersting atributes. Standout tracks (although there isn't a bad song on the album) are 'This Is How A Heart Breaks', 'Ever The Same', 'Something To Be' and the last 3 songs.
Never heard any MB20 or RT stuff? Think of 'These Days' era Bon Jovi brought up-to-date & you're in the same area (actually it's not unlike JBJ's 'Destination Anywhere' album).
Heartily recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best cd I've heard in ages, 27 July 2005
S. Loach (Ayrshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Something To Be (Audio CD)
I had never heard of Rob Thomas before but heard the song Lonely no more on the radio and really liked it so I looked for the cd and bought it. The whole cd is good, there isn't one song I dont like. I'm not sure I have one particular favourite....they are all so good, but the last song Now comes the night is lovely. It makes me cry!
I will probably be buying music by matchbox 20 because I enjoyed this so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robs solo effect a resounding success, 26 April 2005
Cassie White - See all my reviews
This review is from: ...Something To Be (Audio CD)
Talk about the most highly anticipated album of the year (well for Matchbox Twenty fans anyway!). I've had a space reserved for this in my CD rack since December
and was it worth the wait, I'd have to say yes!
Every song sounds different, a mixture of fast, slow and uplifting songs (cant fail to sing along with Streetcorner symphony)
The first single from the album, Lonely No More is one of those songs that will be in your head for the rest of the day and My My My is simply beautiful, a very touching song, as is Now Comes the Night and When the Heartache Ends. As for the rest of the album there isn't a song I dislike, its brilliant, but then I wouldn't have expected anything less from Rob
The DVD side of the duel disk adds even more value for money and has some very insightful documentaries about the making of some of the songs, the songs in crystal clear surround sound and a photo gallery
Overall, the album is excellent and was defiantly worth the long wait

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Album by a fantastic singer, 1 May 2006
G. A. Fairbrother "greyman162003" (Newbury Park, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Something To Be (Audio CD)
Something to be is a fantastic album, with a diverse beat to all the songs, making it enjoyable in all moods, with the Best Song being Ever the Same, absolutely fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 9 April 2006
Jill (Edinburgh United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Something To Be (Audio CD)
I got this album based on one track and love the album! Rob has a great voice and I've listened to this cd over and over! Highly highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised, 3 Sep 2006
This review is from: Something To Be (Audio CD)
I am really surprised by the poor reviews many of your customers have given this album. I have always found MB20 great at their best but nevertheless a bit patchy - unlike the voice of Mr Thomas which is just superb. Well I have to say, I love this album which is a highly consistent piece of work with some outstanding melodies and novel arrangements. The quality maybe fades a bit towards the end but tracks like 'This Is How a Heart Breaks', 'I Am An Illusion, 'Something To Be' and 'Fallin' To Pieces' more than help to keep the show on the road. It's easy to listen too without being bland. It is intelligently written without being too heavy. The arrangements aren't clichéd but aren't overly challenging either. An all round good effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST IN YOUR CD COLLECTION, 19 Dec 2005
This review is from: Something To Be (Audio CD)
This is one of the best albums it really is, from beginning to end. Some CDs you find yourself skipping tracks to one that you really like but you don't have to with this album because there isn't one bad track on it. If you don't have this in your CD collection then you are missing a truly fantastic album believe me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a go !, 29 Jun 2005
This review is from: Something To Be (Audio CD)
After being a huge Matchbox fan for years i was eager to hear Rob on his own and as expected he did not dissapoint.
This is an album of diverse sounds which should have something for everyone. The first single 'lonely no more' is a great catchy song which hopefully should draw in more fans for Rob who has never quite had the success here which he has in the states, (dont know why that is though!)
Oh and once you buy and love his music you must see him live (as i did last week) unbeatable !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Album., 29 April 2005
This review is from: Something To Be (Audio CD)
Normally when listening to an album for the first time, I go all the way through. Not this one. From the moment the music started on "This is how a heart breaks" I was hooked and had to hear it over and over again. It's not Matchbox Twenty, but the voice is the same, and the emotions are the same. This is truely an album that understands heartache and emotional issues - and makes then acceptable.
In this album, Rob is telling you that he has more to him than what shows in the band. His music spoke personally to me, and his voice does things to me! He lifted my mood with the energetic songs, and spoke to my heart in the slower ones.
Of course I don't want Matchbox 20 to break up - and can't wait for their next album, but this is an excellent substitute, that will be in my car stereo for many months.

4.0 out of 5 stars something to be, 7 Aug 2005
This review is from: Something To Be (Audio CD)
first off the sound here is not that of matchbox twenty. the album has a much more prominent pop feel but not in a bad way. there are some fantastic songas on this album such as Lonely No More and title treck something to be - whereas others aren't quite as catchy. definately worth buying if you enjoy matchbox twenty and if you enjoy this i would rccommend Matchbox Twenty - 'More Than You Think You Are'

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Something To Be
Something To Be by Rob Thomas (Audio CD - 2005)