5.0 out of 5 stars Intense and absorbing, 31 Jan 2013
Geoff New "Geoff" (LONDON United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Handel Messiah - The Choir of King's College Cambridge - Brandenburg Consort[DVD] [2005] (DVD)
This DVD sat on my shelves for ages without being played. But when at last I did so, I was thrilled by the quality of this live 1994 recording in Pieterskerk in Leiden. And this despite the fact that it's not quite the style of Messiah that I normally prefer. All four soloits are really outstanding, and the whole performance is serious, and at times intense. I cannot recommend this performance too highly.

Incidentally, the Argo CD released at about the same time is by exactly the same team, but that was recorded a year earlier in Kings College Cambridge rather than the Netherlands.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb recording of live televised performance, 15 Dec 2012
An excellent interpretation by a superb choir, soloists and orchestra of this majestic work by Handel so different to the more usual renditions by large choirs and orchestras.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally satisfied!, 8 Jan 2014
I was quite confused looking at all the different versions & the comments people had made, some say it's great the next comments says it's poor? I took a chance with this version & found it quite enjoyable! I had seen the performance live at Liverpool Cathedral & this "supported" what my wife & I had heard & seen, it evoked the memories & the emotions that this classical work were designed to do & ultimately give glory to our creator. For me this certainly ticked the box. I don't doubt that there are copies that have better sound reproduction or video quality or more superlative performances, but for me the joy on the faces of those in leading roles and the conductor has to be worth something too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Family loved it., 18 Jun 2014
Okay, it isn't 3D and, even fed through our fair sound-system, was unable to do the splendid original full justice.

But, hey, this was a live performance, and gained from it. I'm no fan of such music, but was transfixed by the soloists, including a baritone who made the ornaments tremble...

Used & New from: 1.34