5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious!
Published on 4 Jan 2007 by pudding

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful with the dates
Published on 15 May 2008 by stingfan

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious!, 4 Jan 2007
This review is from: Pipkins - Vol. 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I bought Pipkins 1 and 2, for my five year old son, as a Christmas present having only a vague (yet persistent) memory of watching it when I was a child. I was slightly worried that his 'palate' may have been tainted by the usual soul-less, merchandise linked guff he consumes. Not only was he utterly rapt by Pipkins, I noticed something odd. He was laughing quite a lot. I put it on at a party with the result that there were four kids (of different ages) grouped around the telly laughing. They postponed house wrecking and watched of their own volition.

So much of children's media entertainment quickly becomes background but I suspect Pipkins will have lasting power, unlike me, to get children to sit still and pay attention!

The adorably camp and irascible Hartly is still my favourite. There are things there to make adults reminisce like going to the shops and seeing that a tin of pet food is 6p and Hartly's song about sweeties extolling the virtues of the Sherbet Fountain.

Everything about these dvds is a joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Class!, 28 April 2005
Mark R. Jones - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pipkins - Vol. 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I hadn't seen this since I was a kid, about 1979 was the last time. This is CLASS. Watching it again after all this time bought the memories flooding back. I didn't remember Hartly being so CAMP!! He's even funnier now than he was then now I can see how camp and NAUGHTY he could be! Shame there's no really early epidsodes with the other intro with the classic themem tune sung by the same person who sung 'Rupert' but maybe none of them have survived, I don't know. Anyway, if you were a child in the 70's and went home for dinner at dinner time you must have watched this! Classic stuff and released for the first time on this ever DVD!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's time for..., 27 Sep 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Pipkins - Vol. 1 [DVD] (DVD)
One of the best 'forgotten' shows from the 1970's early 1980's is now out on DVD and what a treat it is. I had a hazy memory of the programme from my youth but the DVD confirmed that it was still good, funny (and educational, of course). Time [no pun intended] is a measure of how good a programme is and my two kids loved the DVD. It may have tatty puppets, it may have been made on a tight budget but it was well scripted, well acted and very, very funny. Where else can you see a tortoise counting money? Pig was always my personal favourite, his Brummie accent is class. Buy it now, it's a refreshing antidote to the programme's our kids have to put up with today.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful with the dates, 15 May 2008
This review is from: Pipkins - Vol. 1 [DVD] (DVD)
It was nice to see this again, but if you are looking for what you remembered as a kid then you need to be careful with the dates here. I used to watch this when it first started in 1972/3? so I remember the old man who ran the shop and the guy who took over from him. I ordered Vol.1 thinking that this would be the first series (and the shows would run chronologically) - however, straight away I noticed the dates on the cover 1976-1981. These appear to be a compilation of episodes from this period - unfortunately this is 'after my time'. The opening titles are not the same (they must have changed later) - the song is not there..'Pipkins the workers - going where help is needed' etc.. Hartley hare has changed (not the original). There is a badger in this one - where did he come from? Topov the monkey changes too. So if you are looking to 'relive' your childhood memories - be careful. This compilation seems to be 1976 onwards not early 70's. Slightly disappointed really. How sad am I?

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best 70's Kids's Show, 23 Mar 2006
This review is from: Pipkins - Vol. 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this for my 6 year old ( and for me of course) and it brought the memories flooding back.

My daughter loves Hartley and especially the Cowboy episode which has her in stiches.

re-live your childhood and see the happy faces on your own kids when they discover this gem!

5.0 out of 5 stars Balancing tentatively between Chaos and Control, 11 Dec 2008
This review is from: Pipkins - Vol. 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I used to watch Pipkins as a kid during the seventies and I used to thank my lucky stars that I was not mixed up with a gang of misfit animal puppets. As the characters developed with the passing of each episode and the levels of hysteria reached giddying and unsustainable heights, it became apparent that a cheap tatty animal puppet in the company of other cheap tatty animal puppets would have to keep its wits razor-sharp to stay alive. In Pipkins, where freaks like Pig and Topov held 'top dog' positions in what was essentially an anarchic syndicate of perception-altered sociopaths, there was never any knowing where the mood might take them. In one episode, it was conceivable that Pig might end up in a mildly disgruntled confrontation with a parochial shopkeeper; but in the next, your heart would beat with rising trepidation as you suspected that Topov was about to lash out on the tortoise or pull a knife on the ostrich, the mood veering nastily and unpredictably into Manson-esque browbeating and terror. All I can say is 'Thank God for Hartley Hare', because if it wasn't for his nimble-footed japeries and light-hearted shenanigans, Pipkins would undoubtedly have nosedived into gothic horror of the most disturbed and psychological kind. It was this unbearable tension, combined with Hartley Hare's relentless ingenuity that made it the most watchable show on kids' TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and educational, 10 Sep 2006
Chris (Belfast, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pipkins - Vol. 1 [DVD] (DVD)
As I write this, my 3 kids (3,5 and 6) are completely engaged in this wonderful programme. True, it's not perfectly edited or as polished as some of today's programmes, but how refreshing in today's "PC" world to meet again imperfect characters like the sometimes-irate and obsessive Hartley Hare and the ravenously hungry Pig. With a Steptoe and Son-style set, it's great all-round viewing for kids. Adults can reminisce about how "simple things were back then" - and they were! Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pip Tastic, 17 May 2008
This review is from: Pipkins - Vol. 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I used to watch this in the 70's and got my in-laws to buy it for my birthday last year. My two and four year olds absolutely love it. My two year old is especially fond of naughty Hartley. The ones I remembered had a bloke with lots of hair and a beard.... Then again, that was a long time ago! Absolutely brilliant, much better than the standardised PC stuff on telly these days. In the Night Garden.... nuff said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice DVD, big boy!, 12 Nov 2007
Red Rob "Red Rob" (Blackpool, Lancashire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pipkins - Vol. 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I loved this so much as a kid in the 70s that I used to play truant to watch it. So what, Hartley probably would have as well.

Thirty years later and I often throw a sickie just to stay home and watch it again.

Okay, that last bit was a lie.

I didn't think the kids of today would 'get it', but the earlier reviews suggest they most certainly do.

Anyway, this DVD is a tremendous piece of nostalgia.

Whether you have kids or not, buy it.

Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super DVD, 20 Aug 2013
This review is from: Pipkins - Vol. 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Until I saw it again I'd forgotten how wonderful PIPKINS is for all ages, from tinies to adults. Hartley Hare rocks!

Pipkins - Vol. 1 [DVD]