Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 August 2009
I had a few Deep Purple albums on vinyl many years ago. One was an anthology double album containing the brilliant Hallelulah. Anyway I bought this compilation cos it was sooo cheap and it had my favourite track Hallelulah on it But the whole compilation is flippin' excellent. The cover of Hendrix' Hey Joe is awesome as is Kentucky woman. It's the early pre eighties tracks that appeal to me more because of the Hammond Organ sound so I wasn't too fussed about the later stuff not being on here. Nevertheless I also purchased the album BURN alongside this and that too is brilliant. Well worth the money as none of the tracks on here seem to have been shortened. Child In Time is in its entirety.
on 16 January 2010
Frequently underappreciated while Sabbath and Zeppelin garner most of the 70's rock era plaudits. Yes the second, Gillan, incarnation was the most powerful but this collection proves there was plenty to admire in the rest of the band's output. I might have trimmed one or two numbers and slipped on the Coverdale era 'You Full No One' (Yes he was a colossal pain in the backside but the man could sing!). Some live versions are a step up from the studio offerings but this is a very fine selection stretching from their kickstart with the hit recording of Hush to the, presumably, final phase with Ted the Mechanic and Perfect Strangers (Another record that they could have happily included another track from). Outstanding value. Lazy, Space Truckin', Highway Star and Wring That Neck are all present and correct making this a more complete and satisfying set than the other single disc 'Best of' compilations doing the rounds. If you're looking for a single Purple purchase go for this one. If you're not sure about the band get it anyway and be delighted that you took the chance.
on 24 November 2005
This is a really good compilation - one of the best I've seen and, let's face it, there are loads of Deep Purple compilatons out there. I just wanted to correct something in one of the other reviews: this does not contain something from every DP studio album. The reason I deducted a star is because virtually nothing (just four tracks) from the band 1984-onwards is included. Most of the albums post-1984 reformation aren't featured at all e.g. Perfect Strangers (except for one 'live' version recorded much later by a different line up), House of Blue Light, Slaves and Masters, The Battle Rages On. Having said that, as a collection of DP up until that period, this is excellent, and it does include some tracks from the current line up of the band. Major kudos for including the full version of Woman from Tokyo and not the 'edit' I've heard on other compilations. I just wish there could have been a fourth disk covering all those missed albums.
Firstly, what value for money. With so many DP compilation cds out there (quite possibly more than original studio albums) it is difficult to know where to start.
As a reference point I came in at Perfect Stangers (1984). I found that album too heavy metal for my taste straight away. I loved Pink Floyd and Zeppelin at that point (still do). I bought the 2LP set Anthology. Saw DP mk2 on the ...Blue Light tour and was that a show! A lot of Anthology is on here which is a fab collection in its own right.
This set pays particular attention to the pre-1975 and thus some of Ritchie Blackmore at his best (with DP anyway).
As I am now into all kinds of metal I must thank DP for showing me the way all those years ago. Though DP only got metallised from IN ROCK onwards.
Generalisations:
Pre-1970, soft metal, not hard rock.
1970 - 1973, hard rock and early metal.
1974 -1975, blues, soul "funk" (the Coverdale era).
1984 to present, rock, hard rock quieter metal by today's standards.
on 18 December 2009
For anyone wanting an overview of Deep Purple, this 3CD set is just about unbeatable, unless you have a friend with a big DP CD collection, and is good at burning compilations. The only track that I would have added is a live version of "You Fool No-one", but that would have meant leaving something off, "Flight of the rat" is a very welcome inclusion, not usually seen on DP compilations.
Deep Purple were a legendary band when I was at school but didn't fit into my Grammar schoolboy interests and so I never got into them, then. Now, thirty plus years later, I only have one DP recording - this one, so I'm not pretending to be enough of a fan that I'd buy everything they ever produced.

However, when I do want some Deep Purple, this fits the bill perfectly and to my pleasant surprise was consistently good, despite the 3 CD length. Yes, I like the classics best, with Child in Time my favourite but here there's also far more to their repertoire, they certainly didn't always sound the same. You could play all 3 discs all the way through or put them on random and you wouldn't be bored.

At around less than a fiver, now, this Platinum Collection has to be one of the biggest bargains in rock music.
on 2 February 2011
Being a Deep Purple fan of many moons, and with a sound collection to match, I rate this the best of all the "Best of ..... " collections. Brilliant. I wanted a broad collection of their work and this certainly fits the bill.
on 27 April 2016
This is a 3cd triple box. All the hits and more. Its the only DEEP PURPLE BEST OF you will ever want. I own all DEEP PURPLES CDS but sometimes you just want the hits when in the car or doing the chores. I paid about £4 which is gr8 for a 3cd box in good order.
on 14 May 2015
this has grown on me..the older stuff is quite different and not what you'd call heavy rock most of the time but it's still very good. Burn and Smoke on the water are classics of course.
on 24 May 2015
This is the best compilation I have found from Purple. Even the newer stuff fits well. Recommended.