4.0 out of 5 stars THE GHOSTS OF MOTLEY ARE BACK ON DVD !!!
Published on 14 Aug 2006 by NEO

3.0 out of 5 stars the ghosts of motley hall
I am not sure about this it was a present for my niece and she hasn`t got back to me
Published 4 months ago by val

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars THE GHOSTS OF MOTLEY ARE BACK ON DVD !!!, 14 Aug 2006
NEO "Daren" (orpington kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ghosts Of Motley Hall [1976] [DVD] (DVD)
I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw that Network Video were to bring out this brilliant series. And here it is ,all three series on a three Dvd set to see again after some 30 years. I do have very fond childhood memories of this spooky series, which follows the cheeky ghosts of Motley hall. There is Arthur English as an 18th century court Jester with Freddie Jones as Lord of the manor Sir James Uproar. And Sheala Stefal As the wailing White lady who haunts the belltower and the main stairs. Along with a ghost of a young Thief and a 17th century Dandy named fanny. Also there is the brilliant Peter Salis who stars as the spooked caretaker who is trying in vain to sell the run down hall. The stories are fun and have not dated to much over the many years due to the performances and great writing. There are two commentaries on the Dvd's and little else which is a pity.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Another Great, Gentle Children's Series From The 70's', 20 Aug 2007
Antony May (East Sussex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Ghosts Of Motley Hall [1976] [DVD] (DVD)
O.K, so maybe having been born in 1965 I'm biased, but I just love 70's children's t.v. shows. Why? Because like 'The Ghosts Of Motley Hall' they were made as gentle, well acted, uplifting and fun programmes. The scripts were good, the stories enchanting and there was never any shooting, killing or violence unlike a lot of today's 'action packed' kids shows. This box set will not only bring back fond memories of childhood to parents my age, but will enthrall and delight young children. The stories surround the exploits of 5 ghosts, all from different time periods in the history of Motley Hall, living together after being earth bound in the now empty Motley. There are many memorable episodes and Peter Sallis puts in a great performance as the easily spooked caretaker of the old building entrusted with the hopeless task of trying to sell the old place. Of course, if our 5 ghostly friends do not approve of any of the potential new owners of the place, they make their presence felt! For further enjoyment for adult viewers there are a couple of really interesting commentaries and overall this set will be one you will enjoy for years to come. Give your kids a 70's upbringing, buy this, the excellent Catweazle box set and of course good old Worzel Gummidge too!

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, I can relive my childhood..., 4 Sep 2005
John Meanwood (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Ghosts Of Motley Hall [1976] [DVD] (DVD)
Ever since I first saw this programme on television I have waited for it to be released on video. Now, 30 years after it was first shown it has been released onto DVD and I can watch it again.

There are three series' altogether, one on each DVD, concerning a group of five ghosts in a condemned stately home, all from different periods, trying to get along with each other. There are also other ghosts that turn up from time to time and cause havoc, as well as property developers, burglars and ghost hunters to deal with.

A very entertaining romp which will give an idea of what 1970's childrens television was like for us '40 somethings - better than the animated rubbish you get nowadays.

I would also recommend:

Pardon My Genie
Roberts Robots
The Double Deckers

5.0 out of 5 stars SO glad i found this dvd!, 26 April 2009
This review is from: The Ghosts Of Motley Hall [1976] [DVD] (DVD)
I'm so glad I found this DVD, and all 3 seasons together in the one set! I loved this show as a 13 year old watching it on the ABC in Australia. So many times you revisit a show that you loved as a kid but you find it's nowhere near as good as you remembered, but not so with Motley Hall - the lines are still funny and the acting is still great. I hope to visit the real Motley Hall (Borwick Castle) one day, I love the show that much! I hope when my toddler is a bit older she'll enjoy this DVD as much as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST SHOW!!!!, 16 Aug 2008
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Ghosts Of Motley Hall [1976] [DVD] (DVD)
The Ghosts of motley hall is a dvd that I found at my Grans house. She told me that I would probably like it, and now I watch more every time I go!!! Even though its aimed at kids younger than me, I love the story lines and the fact that its just humour, it isnt rude or violent, so I don't need to keep thinking about how my gran is reacting to it, or whether they think its suitable. Its the best show ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant family comedy, 25 Mar 2010
G. Tatman - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ghosts Of Motley Hall [1976] [DVD] (DVD)
This brings back memories of what real family comedy
was. NOT Like the rubbish of today.We enjoyed every bit of the whole box set.VERY GOOD

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderfull, 24 April 2009
This review is from: The Ghosts Of Motley Hall [1976] [DVD] (DVD)
I first saw this program when I was 14 and loved it. I've now sat down to watch this with my own 14 year old, and he and all his friends love the Ghosts as much as I do. My other children of 12,8 and 4 all sit and laugh at the Ghosts because it has not dated one little bit. I just wish there had been more made.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ghosts of Motley Hall, 9 April 2011
Hi All...

Have you ever waited to see a series so badly from your childhood, and been transported back, the moment you did ? I was after viewing the fist Disc of this Trilogy. And I can't wait to savour the other two. I was Inspired to buy it after chatting about it and other programmes with my mate at work, as we are of a similar age and temperament (he's got 5 years on me, though.) After re-reading my Motley Hall Book, I was glad to see it availiable on DVD,(although the price made me cough a little). I have to say the 'action's' a little slow in places, (Old Gory for example), but it's a pleasing return to a very enjoyable part of his childhood for this 'Classic Kids TV' watcher.

Having said that, I now have 'King of the Castle' on its way too, another 'strange' but Iconic series of my youth, and feel the same anticipation...

Having also bought Thunderbirds, UFO and Captain Scarlet in the last fortnight, with that same sense of excitement and anticipation, I'm sorry to say, they haven't enthralled me half as much as this series , (and their DVD Menu format is all wrong too, IMO), and I actually think I'll be watching THIS series rather more than those... So, Buy this Series, if you're of a 'certain age'. you won't be disappointed. Or your kids now, come to think of it. It just seems a little pricey...

5.0 out of 5 stars childhood memories, 26 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Ghosts Of Motley Hall [1976] [DVD] (DVD)
Great memories of this childrens tv program, I remember rushing home to watch this and it still doesn't dissapoint. This really does show up childrens TV today for what it is, proper actors with stories that have a plot and above all a childhood innocence that seems to be long gone today. Top quality buy it :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer nostalgia and delight!, 10 Nov 2005
This review is from: The Ghosts Of Motley Hall [1976] [DVD] (DVD)
As the previous reviewer said, this is a wonderful way to re-live your childhood!
I used to look forward to this programme every Sunday afternoon when I was a kid and watching it again now it hasn't lost any of it's charm or humour (in fact if anything you do tend to see a different side to it with the retrospective point of view of an adult (allegedly!)
If you remember this fondly, you'll probably also remember The Tomorrow People (original) which is also available to buy.
I'm so glad I found and bought this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Ghosts Of Motley Hall [1976] [DVD]
The Ghosts Of Motley Hall [1976] [DVD] by Quentin Lawrence (DVD - 2005)
19.40