2,493 Reviews
 (1,492)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best buy headphones in the £10-40 price range
Published on 21 July 2012 by Pocket Drummer

3.0 out of 5 stars great value and sounds, but not the best build quality
This is a great value pair of headphones that sound amazing... but there is a reason why they are so cheap - the build quality is not the best.

i had a pair about a month and had them in my bag, and when i opened the bag up one day found that they had snapped inside above one of the ear pieces, no way to replace/repair it so had to buy another pair which i'll...
Published 23 months ago by Geofftech

5.0 out of 5 stars Best buy headphones in the £10-40 price range, 21 July 2012
This review is from: Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones (Electronics)
Seriously, if you are thinking about spending £40 on a pair of headphones because you think you'll get better quality than these... well don't bother. I have owned loads of different pairs of 'general use' budget over-ear headphones in the last 10 years, from pretty much all of the main brands, and these are better than all of them by a long way. I use them for general recording and studio work (although I do have an expensive set for mixing), watching movies on the train, and listening to music on the move. The quality of audio is pretty much the same across all Sennheiser headphones whether you buy high end or low end... it is always crisp, clear and well balanced. I generally use EQ with these phones as although there is a decent amount of bass, the overall quality can be enhanced with a little bit of work.

Overall, I thoroughly recommend these for anyone on a budget, for general music use, movies or gaming. You'll need to wear them in a bit as they do feel tight at first, but only a few days and they'll be snug and comfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 24 Nov. 2006
Everyone giving these phones a 5 star rating is quite right. I really wanted a pair of Sennheiser headphones and thought I'd give the HD201 model a try. For the price, I expected something fairly mediocre. How wrong can you be?

The sound quality is absolutely outstanding. If I'd paid £100 for these, I'd have been happy. I'm no DJ or sound expert, but still cannot believe the clarity and rich sound. I'm not convinced the bass is as deep as some have said and I think it does need a little boost from an amp, but the phones handle it with no distortion. After buying these, I listened to various genres of music (from classical to trance) and wasn't disappointed with any. I then left them connected overnight with a playlist of the different music styles to bed them in. It does make a huge difference to the sound and is worth the effort.

No wonder Sennheiser have such a good reputation! Don't be fooled by the price of these, they look and sound a lot more expensive!!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 25 Mar. 2006
These are probably the best cans in the WORLD for under £20. They are balanced, have great bass response, strong mids and sparkling highs. Although a little on the bright side for some, they do offer superb sound reproduction at this price. They are also sealed, and have a low impedance (32ohm), making them ideal for portable use. (rember to break them in)
Pros:
>Loud (32ohm) and sealed shutting out outside sound and sealing your music in.
>They are VERY light AND comfortable
>Unrivalled sound quality at this price point
>If you are one of the anti-Grado fashion-esque folk then these headphones are stunners, the look COOL and expensive.
Cons:
> The cable doesnt have an uptake and is quite long, so youll need a hairband or elastic band to keep the 3m cable under control.
>For the lazy hermits among you, there is no volume control, though i dont really see this as a disadvantage (they damage sound quality)
>They will make you/your teenager yearn for better sounding phones and when your kid starts begging you for the Senn HD650s dont complain.
:-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb for the money, 17 Oct. 2006
S. Ali (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
These headphones sound great with my ipod and my macbook, and has superb clarity, treble and bass. I recently bought the sony MDR-V300 Headphones and these are way better! The sound is way clearer, compared to the sony's which have way too much bass in my opinion. Also these are much more comfortable than the sony for extended periods of time...Solid purchase!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you needed more......, 25 July 2006
Narry Borman (Outer Mongolia) - See all my reviews
If you needed more positive feedback, then here it is. These are very comfortable to wear - light and adjustable. Sound reproduction is excellent. Listening to many different genres, and at reasonable volumes; bass is well defined, trebles don't sound too bright, and the midrange is superb. Depending on your needs the very long cable is a benefit. The best value for money I have spent on anything for quite some time. I haven't tried more expensive headphones, so I can't make a comparison, but how much better can sound reproduction get per pound? Not much I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Sennheisers!!, 5 Jan. 2015
Received these headphones today and just love them!! (wearing them as I type this review actually!! Pic attached!!). Very comfortable to wear with adjustable headband and very well padded as well. Very long cable and the standard headphone jack size (3.5mm I believe) so they plug into my tablet brilliantly!! I definitely recommend these and they are also excellent value for money!!

5.0 out of 5 stars hmmmm not bad, 28 Dec. 2011
I received these as a christmas present from my Mum. I originally asked for Beats By Dr. Dre, but after trying out my mate's pair I wasn't that impressed. So after scouring Amazon for a decent, not too expensive, pair of headphones. And these fitted the bill. Under £20 and Sennheiser, a trusted brand. I have, for the past year, listened to the awful Apple earphones that came with my iPod. When I tried these all my music sounded AMAZING! The bass is deep and clear, but not overdone like in the Beats. While the sound quality doesn't quite match up to the awesomeness of the Sennheiser HD 800s its brilliant for the price. The sound is so good I have been able to detect tiny blips on my dodgy downloads, which I never noticed before. The sound quality is too good!

Onto the build and look. They look great and are really comfortable. Compared to the HD 215s they are much comfier as they are very light. The rugged build will definitely last me a very long time and I've dropped them on pavements and been absolutely fine.

I only have a few, minor quibbles.
-The wire is waaaay too long, I had to roll it up and bind it with some string
- They don't collapse so you need a big carry case.

Apart from that they are a great set of strongly built headphones with a great look and brilliant sound quality; for less than £20! Buy now, even if you don't like them, it only a tenner anyway!

5.0 out of 5 stars M-M-M-Monster-kill....., 12 Mar. 2006
These headphones are simply amazing, dont be put off by the low price. The background noises of songs and games can be heard very well, so the next time your playing on cs_office on counter strike, ull know exactly what window has been smashed. There is also very good bass and 3d-surround, so again if your buying these to play a game you wont be dissapointed. They are also rather light for thier size, and I find them very easy to wear over long periods of time. They dont let much noise out either, so noones going to be complaining about you. I dought ill ever use my Creative 5.1 speakers again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, 11 Jun. 2007
Ms. A. Mcconachie "princessailsa" (Hebden Bridge, UK) - See all my reviews
Wow! Where to begin with these. I could not believe you could get any Sennheiser gear for this price, so I was not expecting much. I was amazed to find on first inspection good padded headphones that swivel nicely on the headband, with a good long cable and a 3.5 to quarter inch adaptor (gold plated) included. This makes for a comfortable listening experience - which does not always happen to me as I have a big head!

I plugged them into my PC to listen to my mp3 collection and was blown away with the sound. Crisp treble, coupled with a good bass sound that doesn't overwhelm the mid-tones. Listening to acoustic guitar music was a revelation as every subtle string squeak and rattle was brought to life. Equally great with vocals, tunes with heavy bass etc.

I have bought other more expensive 'phones by other well known manufacturers and these beat them hands down! I will be ordering another pair as a "spare" soon.

To top it all they have a 2 year warranty!

Fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable bargain, 15 May 2009
I own two pairs of HD201s since a month back. Here are my comments on sound, fit and build.

Sound: The sound from these headphones belies its pricetag. They seem to have a fairly linear response which provides a clear and 'relaxed' sound. Compared to my expensive Denon headphone these can actually be more relaxed to listen to as the Denon's have more pronounced bass and treble making them more intrusive. On the downside, the HD201s have a fairly low response overall meaning that you need to turn up the volume more than on many other headphones. Bass response is good and manage to keep up at normal volume. If you like plenty of bass you may want to adjust your EQ add a little more 'oomph'. Push them too hard and the sound starts to fall apart. This is probably due to the relatively small speaker membranes. But at normal listening this is not a problem.

Fit: These headphones have a true around-ear fit, they easily fit even around my dumbo sized ears. This design makes them comfortable to wear even for extended periods of time. I use them at work and at home for hours on end. They also do not clamp your head too hard which again makes them stay comfortable on your head without pressing too hard. Children with very small heads may find they don't stay on if you move your head about. That said - they fit perfectly on my 8 year old but too loose on my 4 year old.

Build: You really cannot fault the build as they in no way look cheap. The construction is simple, solid and functional. The headband is made from a semi flexible plasic which seems to solve the problem of headbands that crack which so common on many other cheap headphones. They also have good insulation of outside noise. This also mean you can listen without disturbing those around you. The cable is about 2.5m long, with a small goldplated plug at the end. It also come a with 6.5mm adaptor. One cable to each side (rather than to just one ear and integrated lead to the other).

Verdict: I can strongly recommend these as casual headphones for work and gaming. If you are not too picky you could even use them as HiFi headphones. Great all round headphones and a bargain for the price.

Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones