2,416 Reviews

Published on 21 July 2012 by Pocket Drummer

1.0 out of 5 stars not bother The sound is as good as one can expect
Published 1 month ago by New Floh Sterling

5.0 out of 5 stars Best buy headphones in the £10-40 price range, 21 July 2012
This review is from: Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones (Electronics)
Seriously, if you are thinking about spending £40 on a pair of headphones because you think you'll get better quality than these... well don't bother. I have owned loads of different pairs of 'general use' budget over-ear headphones in the last 10 years, from pretty much all of the main brands, and these are better than all of them by a long way. I use them for general recording and studio work (although I do have an expensive set for mixing), watching movies on the train, and listening to music on the move. The quality of audio is pretty much the same across all Sennheiser headphones whether you buy high end or low end... it is always crisp, clear and well balanced. I generally use EQ with these phones as although there is a decent amount of bass, the overall quality can be enhanced with a little bit of work.

Overall, I thoroughly recommend these for anyone on a budget, for general music use, movies or gaming. You'll need to wear them in a bit as they do feel tight at first, but only a few days and they'll be snug and comfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 24 Nov. 2006
Everyone giving these phones a 5 star rating is quite right. I really wanted a pair of Sennheiser headphones and thought I'd give the HD201 model a try. For the price, I expected something fairly mediocre. How wrong can you be?

The sound quality is absolutely outstanding. If I'd paid £100 for these, I'd have been happy. I'm no DJ or sound expert, but still cannot believe the clarity and rich sound. I'm not convinced the bass is as deep as some have said and I think it does need a little boost from an amp, but the phones handle it with no distortion. After buying these, I listened to various genres of music (from classical to trance) and wasn't disappointed with any. I then left them connected overnight with a playlist of the different music styles to bed them in. It does make a huge difference to the sound and is worth the effort.

No wonder Sennheiser have such a good reputation! Don't be fooled by the price of these, they look and sound a lot more expensive!!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 25 Mar. 2006
These are probably the best cans in the WORLD for under £20. They are balanced, have great bass response, strong mids and sparkling highs. Although a little on the bright side for some, they do offer superb sound reproduction at this price. They are also sealed, and have a low impedance (32ohm), making them ideal for portable use. (rember to break them in)
Pros:
>Loud (32ohm) and sealed shutting out outside sound and sealing your music in.
>They are VERY light AND comfortable
>Unrivalled sound quality at this price point
>If you are one of the anti-Grado fashion-esque folk then these headphones are stunners, the look COOL and expensive.
Cons:
> The cable doesnt have an uptake and is quite long, so youll need a hairband or elastic band to keep the 3m cable under control.
>For the lazy hermits among you, there is no volume control, though i dont really see this as a disadvantage (they damage sound quality)
>They will make you/your teenager yearn for better sounding phones and when your kid starts begging you for the Senn HD650s dont complain.
:-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Sennheisers!!, 5 Jan. 2015
Received these headphones today and just love them!! (wearing them as I type this review actually!! Pic attached!!). Very comfortable to wear with adjustable headband and very well padded as well. Very long cable and the standard headphone jack size (3.5mm I believe) so they plug into my tablet brilliantly!! I definitely recommend these and they are also excellent value for money!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb for the money, 17 Oct. 2006
S. Ali (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
These headphones sound great with my ipod and my macbook, and has superb clarity, treble and bass. I recently bought the sony MDR-V300 Headphones and these are way better! The sound is way clearer, compared to the sony's which have way too much bass in my opinion. Also these are much more comfortable than the sony for extended periods of time...Solid purchase!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser at what price ? c'ant be true., 27 Jun. 2007
Mr. K. Padden "keithp" (England) - See all my reviews
I paid in excess of £50 at least 15 years ago for my origonal Sennhieser headphones.I was looking at the Sennheiser PXC250 Headphones with the noise cancelling facility £48 - £100 depending on where you buy them,then stumbled upon a review of the HD 201's.£7.99 blimey the postage cost was

£4.48.After reading the positive reviews I ordered them and have to say that I am not dissapointed at all.A bit cheap looking,very comfortable.

Using them with my Sony walkman CD PLAYER I had to up the volume a fair bit but the sound is very mellow no distirtion at all.Good stereo seperation, clear trebble,Bass could be better but very acceptable especialy at the price.Overall you really c'ant go wrong highly recomended.

1.0 out of 5 stars not bother The sound is as good as one can expect, 2 Feb. 2015
Only one point because these headphones are extremely flimsy in their physical make-up. The first time I put them over my ears they broke at the movable joint near the headset (see photos attached). I did not handle them in a rough manner and suspect that it was a fault in the material. Nonetheless, I did not bother complain to the seller, since it was I, in whose hands they broke. BUT, again, the plastic hinge/joint/link is EXTREMELY flimsy. Hence, be very careful, when you adjust the headset. I have fixed the headset with superglue and cello tape. So, not bother
The sound is as good as one can expect, nothing special but ok. One cannot adjust volume at the headphones themselves, at least not to my experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, 11 Jun. 2007
Ms. A. Mcconachie "princessailsa" (Hebden Bridge, UK) - See all my reviews
Wow! Where to begin with these. I could not believe you could get any Sennheiser gear for this price, so I was not expecting much. I was amazed to find on first inspection good padded headphones that swivel nicely on the headband, with a good long cable and a 3.5 to quarter inch adaptor (gold plated) included. This makes for a comfortable listening experience - which does not always happen to me as I have a big head!

I plugged them into my PC to listen to my mp3 collection and was blown away with the sound. Crisp treble, coupled with a good bass sound that doesn't overwhelm the mid-tones. Listening to acoustic guitar music was a revelation as every subtle string squeak and rattle was brought to life. Equally great with vocals, tunes with heavy bass etc.

I have bought other more expensive 'phones by other well known manufacturers and these beat them hands down! I will be ordering another pair as a "spare" soon.

To top it all they have a 2 year warranty!

Fantastic!

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Headphones, 8 May 2013
Dominic Buswell (Bournemouth Dorset UK) - See all my reviews
These headphones are great for the price.
Any one that says they maximise bass is wrong. There frequency does not allow this, if anything they lack on high frequencies.
Being a music technology student, buying some of these at the start of the year was great, they are cheap, fairly robust if you look after them, it has a massive headphone lead great for mixing (especially when the mac is miles away). I have used these on logic pro 8/9 mixing dub step, recording and re-araging a track. The clarity is great, you can define almost the whole frequency spectrum, this is great when you have to listen out for cuts/ random high notes that are caused by distortion.

Overall great headphones, would recommend these headphones to anyone really. They are just as good as beats, if not better because beats do emphasise bass its just how they are made. These headphones give a fairly realistic sound to what the producers want you to hear when they are mixing.

Hope it helped

5.0 out of 5 stars If you needed more......, 25 July 2006
Narry Borman (Outer Mongolia) - See all my reviews
If you needed more positive feedback, then here it is. These are very comfortable to wear - light and adjustable. Sound reproduction is excellent. Listening to many different genres, and at reasonable volumes; bass is well defined, trebles don't sound too bright, and the midrange is superb. Depending on your needs the very long cable is a benefit. The best value for money I have spent on anything for quite some time. I haven't tried more expensive headphones, so I can't make a comparison, but how much better can sound reproduction get per pound? Not much I think.

Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones