1,934 Reviews
 (1,144)

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable bargain
I own two pairs of HD201s since a month back. Here are my comments on sound, fit and build.

Published on 15 May 2009 by Tolvis Tryckley

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect miracles...
It's a bit difficult to criticise these headphones as they were less than twenty quid.

These are my thoughts...

I bought these as a cheap pair of headphones for listening to mp3s and/or videos on a PC without disturbing others in the room. I don't consider myself an audiophile, and just wanted a 'passable' quality.

1) These headphones...
Published on 18 Nov 2010 by Tillydog

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable bargain, 15 May 2009
This review is from: Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones (Electronics)

Sound: The sound from these headphones belies its pricetag. They seem to have a fairly linear response which provides a clear and 'relaxed' sound. Compared to my expensive Denon headphone these can actually be more relaxed to listen to as the Denon's have more pronounced bass and treble making them more intrusive. On the downside, the HD201s have a fairly low response overall meaning that you need to turn up the volume more than on many other headphones. Bass response is good and manage to keep up at normal volume. If you like plenty of bass you may want to adjust your EQ add a little more 'oomph'. Push them too hard and the sound starts to fall apart. This is probably due to the relatively small speaker membranes. But at normal listening this is not a problem.

Fit: These headphones have a true around-ear fit, they easily fit even around my dumbo sized ears. This design makes them comfortable to wear even for extended periods of time. I use them at work and at home for hours on end. They also do not clamp your head too hard which again makes them stay comfortable on your head without pressing too hard. Children with very small heads may find they don't stay on if you move your head about. That said - they fit perfectly on my 8 year old but too loose on my 4 year old.

Build: You really cannot fault the build as they in no way look cheap. The construction is simple, solid and functional. The headband is made from a semi flexible plasic which seems to solve the problem of headbands that crack which so common on many other cheap headphones. They also have good insulation of outside noise. This also mean you can listen without disturbing those around you. The cable is about 2.5m long, with a small goldplated plug at the end. It also come a with 6.5mm adaptor. One cable to each side (rather than to just one ear and integrated lead to the other).

Verdict: I can strongly recommend these as casual headphones for work and gaming. If you are not too picky you could even use them as HiFi headphones. Great all round headphones and a bargain for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 24 Nov 2006
Mr. L. J. Hudson (UK) - See all my reviews
Everyone giving these phones a 5 star rating is quite right. I really wanted a pair of Sennheiser headphones and thought I'd give the HD201 model a try. For the price, I expected something fairly mediocre. How wrong can you be?

The sound quality is absolutely outstanding. If I'd paid £100 for these, I'd have been happy. I'm no DJ or sound expert, but still cannot believe the clarity and rich sound. I'm not convinced the bass is as deep as some have said and I think it does need a little boost from an amp, but the phones handle it with no distortion. After buying these, I listened to various genres of music (from classical to trance) and wasn't disappointed with any. I then left them connected overnight with a playlist of the different music styles to bed them in. It does make a huge difference to the sound and is worth the effort.

No wonder Sennheiser have such a good reputation! Don't be fooled by the price of these, they look and sound a lot more expensive!!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 25 Mar 2006
These are probably the best cans in the WORLD for under £20. They are balanced, have great bass response, strong mids and sparkling highs. Although a little on the bright side for some, they do offer superb sound reproduction at this price. They are also sealed, and have a low impedance (32ohm), making them ideal for portable use. (rember to break them in)
Pros:
>Loud (32ohm) and sealed shutting out outside sound and sealing your music in.
>They are VERY light AND comfortable
>Unrivalled sound quality at this price point
>If you are one of the anti-Grado fashion-esque folk then these headphones are stunners, the look COOL and expensive.
Cons:
> The cable doesnt have an uptake and is quite long, so youll need a hairband or elastic band to keep the 3m cable under control.
>For the lazy hermits among you, there is no volume control, though i dont really see this as a disadvantage (they damage sound quality)
>They will make you/your teenager yearn for better sounding phones and when your kid starts begging you for the Senn HD650s dont complain.
:-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, 11 Jun 2007
Ms. A. Mcconachie "princessailsa" (Hebden Bridge, UK) - See all my reviews
Wow! Where to begin with these. I could not believe you could get any Sennheiser gear for this price, so I was not expecting much. I was amazed to find on first inspection good padded headphones that swivel nicely on the headband, with a good long cable and a 3.5 to quarter inch adaptor (gold plated) included. This makes for a comfortable listening experience - which does not always happen to me as I have a big head!

I plugged them into my PC to listen to my mp3 collection and was blown away with the sound. Crisp treble, coupled with a good bass sound that doesn't overwhelm the mid-tones. Listening to acoustic guitar music was a revelation as every subtle string squeak and rattle was brought to life. Equally great with vocals, tunes with heavy bass etc.

I have bought other more expensive 'phones by other well known manufacturers and these beat them hands down! I will be ordering another pair as a "spare" soon.

To top it all they have a 2 year warranty!

Fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you needed more......, 25 July 2006
Narry Borman (Outer Mongolia) - See all my reviews
If you needed more positive feedback, then here it is. These are very comfortable to wear - light and adjustable. Sound reproduction is excellent. Listening to many different genres, and at reasonable volumes; bass is well defined, trebles don't sound too bright, and the midrange is superb. Depending on your needs the very long cable is a benefit. The best value for money I have spent on anything for quite some time. I haven't tried more expensive headphones, so I can't make a comparison, but how much better can sound reproduction get per pound? Not much I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars LIght as a feather, 24 Oct 2008
Duncan McDonald "Dunk" (Dundee) - See all my reviews
I got a pair of these headphones to use for gaming without disturbing the family. Since I use Sennheiser buds with my music player I thought i'd try their headphones.

The cans are extremely lightweight and comfortable. So much so that you hardly notice that you are wearing them. They have a decent 3m cable that is just the right length, not too long, not to short.

For the £20 I paid for them the sound quality is very good. They are not the last word is audio quality but they are crystal clear and very good value for the price. They are not overly bassy and in fact the sound is well balanced. Ideal for gaming actually.

The HD210's are great for general use but if you want the ultimate is fidelity then you'll need to raid a bit extra out of the piggybank.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb for the money, 17 Oct 2006
S. Ali (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
These headphones sound great with my ipod and my macbook, and has superb clarity, treble and bass. I recently bought the sony MDR-V300 Headphones and these are way better! The sound is way clearer, compared to the sony's which have way too much bass in my opinion. Also these are much more comfortable than the sony for extended periods of time...Solid purchase!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars regardless of price, quality headphones, 18 Nov 2008
Wendy Forrest (London, UK) - See all my reviews
these headphones have been designed for great sound. they have thought about everything from the careful leaving out of a volume control, to the gold plated connection. they really pack a punch: the bass can make your spine vibrate and even the highest volumes don't damage the quality of the sound, except for sometimes at very high pitches at very very loud, it can become slightly tinny. they are also so comfortable that after a while you forget you're wearing them. i think that sennheiser would not dare damage their reputation by producing anything that wasn't up to their very high standards, and even if they made a bigger profit from this individual product, if the headphones weren't up to standard, customers would think twice before buying from them again. overall, although you won't be absolutely blown away by the sound, they are worth twice what they are being sold for here and they are really great headphones if you are a music lover who isn't completely loaded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable value, 10 Aug 2007
M. Wright (UK) - See all my reviews
I run a small recording studio and needed extra/spare headphones in case of any unexpected breakages or unexpeceted extra musicians. I bought these cos they were so cheap and the reviews at headphone.com were so positive. I expected at best just to not hate them, but Im actually astounded by them. For headphones that cost me £10, these are absolutely unbelievable.
Naturally they can't compare to £50+ sets out there, but how close they come is frightening. They're extremely light and comfortable, the mids dont honk like all other cheaper sets, and theres an evenness to the tone that suits a studios needs really well. I had an extremely talented pianist wear them all day in a very long session and he made no comment. He just never guessed that they were imposters in a professional environment.
The only quibble you could make is that they're a little quiet, so they need cranking, but me - I instantly ordered another set.

4.0 out of 5 stars HD201.... The facts....!, 1 Jan 2008
S. P. Macleod (England) - See all my reviews
FACT - These headphones are a BARGAIN price. Even if you do buy a set and decide you dont like them, hell, it's only pretty much a tenner....

FACT - These headphones are QUIET. I have to pretty much double the volume of anything I plug them into compared to my other 'phones... BUT... they are selaed, closed back headphones so DO cut out background noise at lower volumes....

FACT - The sound quality is VERY GOOD. If you want to get near audiophile-quality from your personal music player or home stereo then these 'phones will definately do them justice.

FACT - There is NO point buying £150+ true audiophile headphones unless you have a pretty decent 24bit hifi system / headphone amplifier to drive them... if you just have some £150 stereo then these will more than suffice.

FACT - These headphones LACK POUNDING BASS. If you want ear-shaking bass from your tunes perhaps these 'phones arent for you... BUT... some may argue poudning bass would just mask the true quality of the music coming out of these headphones so is better without

Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones