1,922

on 10 January 2006
Being new to the world of juicing, I thought I would do some research before investing in a machine. Having spent umpteen hours on the internet, I descovered so many conflicting reviews of the different machines, taht I came away feeling more baffled than before I started.
In the end, I decided to plump for thiss Philips machine, as it had quite a few good reviews, and it looked good (my thinking being that even if it wasn't great it might look good on the work top!).
So I was delighted when I got it for many reasons:
1. It makes great juice (and rather the jug supplied allows for a generous amount of juice). It makes very light work of apples, oranges, strawberries, grapefruit, carrots etc. It is surprising how much juice you get out of one apple. When I was researching, I wondered how much preperation was required... With this model, the chute is big enough for whole apples and oranges, but they recommend that you peel the oranges first (apparently the skin is very bitter), but other non-citrus fruits need no preparation whatsoever.
2. It isn't as loud as a jet engine (it's actually only as loud as my kettle - at the most).
3. It is farily compact - It only takes as much room as the kettle (maybe a little bit more), but I have a tiny kitchen, and it has fitted in no problem.
4. It's dead easy to clean and doesn't require a PhD to put it back together. It is very simple to put together, and the supplied brush for the metal thingy that mashes up the fruit is very handy indeed.
5. It gets every drop of moisture out of the fruit leaving only dry pulp in the pulp container. I had read in other reviews that it doesn't get every drop of juice, but my one certainly seems to.
6 It doesn't make mess. WHich is always good - especially as I am usually very good a making mess. the jug's lid also stops splashes.
Things it won't do:
- Startchy fruits (avocados, bananas, mango etc) but I think that goes for all of these juicers.
- Clean itself. Though it is dishwasher safe - I've just not tried that yet.
Overall I am really chuffed to bits with it, and recommend it to anyone who like me, has found it all too confusing.
Now if you will excuse me, I'm off for some more (surprisingly delicious) carrot and orange juice...
3232 comments| 1,685 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 July 2013
This comes in an enormous box, but this is easiy broken down for re-cycling. The items are solid and feel incredibly sturdy - especially the aluminium parts. This is larger than I expected, but fits into a reasonably small space in the kitchen.

The package includes a good recipe book by Jason Vale (who recommends this machine) and extensive instructions from Philips, which also makes suggestions for recipes. Once assembled the juicer looks good, but its main feature is the simplicity of the design. It breaks down into 4 large parts which can be easily rinsed under a tap, to clean off the pulp of the fruit. In the past, juicers have been very difficult to clean; but this one is very easy indeed.

Once assembled, it is simplicity itself to use - you just push the fruit down the large feeding tube at the top. Instructions say you can put in whole apples - this works, but is quite slow. I found that if you chopped them in half, it's much quicker and easier. Generally it works better if you chop things into pieces - but even allowing for this, the whole process is just a few minutes and you have fresh juice.

In place the unit tilts to one side, which is where you place the jug provided, to hold the juice. This is a nice, clear plastic design with an insert that allows you pour the juice into glasses without taking the foam from the top. Overall, the system worked very well and seems to produce excellent results - very pleasant with some ice, on hot summer days.

Given that it's currently selling for half price on Amazon, this has to be a top recommendation for this kind of thing. It certainly looks very good and it works quickly and efficiently. But what really sells it, is how easy it is to clean. Having owned and given up on previous units that sat unused due to such difficulties; it is very pleasing to discover something that has overcome all those problems, to make quick and easy juicing.
on 16 January 2009
The market for juicers has grown a bit since I last had one about 10 years ago so before buying my Philips HR1861 I did plenty of online research. For the most part, this one came out on top in people's reviews - it was perceived as being well made, efficient and good value for money, not to mention that it was also not unpleasant to look at.
I have not been dissapointed. It is very quiet, the motor runs smoothly and with a sense of great strength, and the little details are worthwhile: the jug that is purpose-built to fit snugly at the spout (complete with a hinged lid that stops any splashing) and the lightly suctioned feet that hold the machine firmly on a flat surface are both excellent touches. Also, the posture of the machine has it permanently tilting slightly forwards so no juice is left to collect in the insides, only to drip on you when you take it all apart; every bit goes into the jug. This leaning aspect also adds an endearing character to the machine, which, if it is to be left out on the counter for any length of time, is a welcome attribute; it looks purposeful and ready for action! Compare your boring old toaster or tired old plastic kettle - characterless!
Cleaning juicers has always been a rather tiresome chore, but even that task is easier than I had expected with the Philips. Everything will go in a dishwasher but I prefer to do it by hand - I expect that over time the slightly abrasive quality of dish washing tabs or powder will dull the clear plastic parts. The main housing wipes down very easily if there's any spillage as it is made of "Professional anodised aluminium"; the real benefit of this, however, is that it doesn't show finger marks (it's also scratchproof and corrosion resistant).
The machine has two speeds but I am yet to see the true benefit of this; I just do everything on the top speed, my thinking being that, whatever the fruit, the faster it all spins the more juice will be forced out. Scientists are welcome to commment!
My only small warning at this stage (as I've only used the machine a few times so far) is that when you put fruit into the schute it can throw a bit of pith or skin back up - you need to be quick with the "pusher" to block the opening. Or, easier still, just use the flat of your hand. Or even (though I could find no guideline for this in the Philips manual) load fruit into the schute before turning it on, and follow the last piece down with the pusher.
All in all I have only the highest praise for this juicer: it's everything I had read it to be and I am delighted with my purchase.
I recommend it highly to anyone who likes quality products expecting quality performance from them.
on 21 November 2006
This is the first Juicer I've had and I read all the reviews before I bought this one. I wasn't disappointed, It looks good, juices well and is easy to clean. My wife and I have a juice coctail every day now and our diet has improved considerably. Do yourself a favour, buy one of these...1

PS Just seen a juicing demonstration on TV and the demonstrator used a medium clear plastic food bag to line the pulp collector and so collect all the pulp, since then we haven't had to clean out the pulp bin and as a result cleaning is even easier.
66 comments| 440 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 December 2013
I used this machine once a day for 4 months (for less than 5 minutes each time) when it suddenly made an alarming sound and the plastic shattered, the bits flying in all directions. It was positively dangerous and I am glad my five year old was not around. I contacted Philips who wanted to see the machine. I agreed a date for them to collect it. They did not turn up. I agreed a second date (after a good deal of email correspondence as they have a tendency not to answer emails). They did not turn up, again. They then insisted I pay the cost of returning the item. Disgraceful customer service. Dangerous machine. This is a company clearly disinterested in safety matters.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 June 2013
I have been using this for a few months now and wanted to report back to say how much I like this product. It's so easy to use, especially now I have tried other people's juicers (other brands) and found the various parts in theirs so hard to clip together or take apart. This model is easy to assemble and easy to get apart after a few juicings and everything is worn in.

Superb price on Amazon too, I actually saw this on a TV shopping channel and when I looked it up found this better model for less!

As for cleaning it, I guess we all have our own idea of what constitutes "easy". I follow the Juice Master's tip - clean the unit BEFORE drinking your juice drink - then you get it all out of the way. Essentially if you clean this immediately, all the organic matter comes off under running water. It's only if you leave it to dry you have problems. I use old carrier bags in the collection part in the back just to reduce the number of bits to clean by one. I would guess it takes as long to clean as it takes to clean and prepare the fruit and veg beforehand.

The quality of juice is excellent - no "bits" or coarseness - and the amount of juice seems fine too. I know more expensive types of juicer get more out, but to give an example, two apples, an orange and one fifth of a pineapple gives a good sized glass of juice.

My unit came with a book by the Juice Master with lots of ideas in. However to be honest I have long since stopped using any books or recipes since they all seem to be just random combinations of fruit and veg with each one given some fancy name. Just experiment! And the great thing is this: Virtually any combination of fruit and veg (avoiding things you cannot juice of course) tastes good. If you have a sweet tooth, adding an apple to veg juice drinks (or even better, half a lime) gives them a nice sweeter edge. I even stick the stalks from my leftover broccoli in my veg juice drink. The only things that don't seem to work together for me are oranges in a mostly veg drink.

My favourite drinks from this:
- 2 apples, 1 orange (or vice versa) plus half a lime and a fifth of a pineapple - lovely breakfast drink.
- Super green juice: Spinach (mug full), 1 apple, 1 carrot, stick of celery, cucumber section, half a lime.

For a silky smooth, heavenly drink try 2 Pink Lady apples plus a quarter of a pineapple, over ice.

Don't worry too much about using a whole carrot of half a carrot, or quarter of a cucumber of half of one, it doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

However I chop and change depending on what's left in the fridge and what's on offer at the supermarket, from this "pool" of items: Spinach, carrots, cucumber, celery, ginger (don't need much of this), unwaxed lemons, beetroot, limes, oranges, golden delicious apples, pink lady apples, pineapple.

Beetroot will give the drink a deep red colour and soil-like taste (peel them to reduce the soil taste if you like) but is supposed to be very good for you.

I am a cucumber and celery hater - I detest both raw as food - yet when juiced they taste amazing - so if you're not a veggie person, be prepared to be surprised. You cannot identify any single vegetable within a juice drink with many others.

So many people sing about the health benefits of juice. Well I am afraid I did not notice a "jump start" in energy levels and my hayfever is as chronic as ever. For me this is more a long term investment in health rather than a quick fix or miracle solution. Even so, I wouldn't be without my juicer now.
33 comments| 141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 July 2006
Overall this is not a bad juicer. However, I bought a juicer when they first came out, which is still going strong. The only reason I bought a new one is for the large opening to put the fruit in i.e. whole apples. For my old juicer you would have to cut up the fruit very small which does take time with the philips it is so much easier just wash and put in. (Except oranges which need to be peeled first).

I too find that the mush that is left is still quite wet certainly not as dry as my old one which came out very very dry. Saying this it is not too badly wet. The other thing I have noticed is once you have washed it, I usual leave it to drip dry, my old one seemed to dry within half an hour and had no wet bits anywhere, with the new Philips it can stand over night and is still wet in the morning with bits of water still in it. Again not a problem but something that I have noticed.

The last thing is the jug they give you with it. The lid doesn't open all the way up so if you wanted to put it in the dishwasher you would have problems and even handwashing is not made easy. You can snap it off which I don't think you are meant to do but at least it works (at the moment).

The very last thing when you switch the machine on it jumps so you have to make sure you have one hand on it, again I did not have this problem with my old one.

If this is your first juicer I think you would like it. It does its job and having the large hole for fruit is extremely worth while.
2626 comments| 419 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 July 2005
For the cost, this is a superb product and nothing can touch it in this price bracket; I cannot recommend it highly enough. I have just moved up from the Moulinex Juice Master Plus and the difference is amazing. You can put the apples in whole and it makes short work of them. The juice is instant and delicious. Cleaning is very easy, all you need is some warm water and a simple nylon brush. It can be dismantled and reassembled in seconds. One word of warning, the juice can splash because it comes out fast - use the supplied jug which fits around the output spout and you'll have no problems. The Juicemaster Jason Vale kindly put me onto this product after he had tested it for Philips and persuaded me not to buy another juicer that cost three times more than this one! Buy this and then a Z star manual juicer for your wheatgrass and you'll be setup perfectly.
0Comment| 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 November 2006
My wife has suddenly taken to the idea of making juice out of all sorts of fruit. We had an old attachment to one of these big mixers, but we chucked it when the mixer dropped dead. In any case the fuss to use the attachment meant that we never used it. Now with the Philips juicer everything looks different. It appears very easy to use, not so difficult to clean, and produces the most tasty juices. My wife hunted out a juicer that had a big motor (700W and not these weak 300-400W models), a large pulp container, and would go in the dishwasher. The Philips juicer fits the bill, looks good, and feels very well built (read pro in the title). In fact because it has a large feeding tube and a powerful motor my wife just washes and roughly cuts up all sorts of fruit without having to peal and de-seed everything. It is amazing how much juice comes from a couple of apples, some kiwis and a few grapes. From what I can understand from the other reviews the suction cups fix it well to the kitchen surface (absolutely right), it is ergonomic (absolutely right) and it does a great job in getting all the juice out of the fruit (absolutely right). The only little problem she has is getting the micro-mesh filter out to clean it after use. I know my wife would wholeheartedly recommend this juicer to anyone.
11 comment| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 November 2006
I bought this juicer last week - and have been following Jason Vale's '7lbs in 7 days' (this book comes free with it), ever since. It is absolutely the best juicer I have ever bought. You can juice whole apples (much less chopping) and it is SUPERBLY easy to clean. Several little thoughtful touches too - e.g. the jug spout fits very neatly into the juicer spout and the jug comes with a detachable lid to prevent splashing plus a neat litte separator if you want to remove the froth from the top of the juice. I cannot praise this machine enough. Having owned 2 other juicers, this is simply the best one I've ever owned.
0Comment| 156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse