1,619 Reviews
 (1,166)

1,596 of 1,624 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A great machine...
Being new to the world of juicing, I thought I would do some research before investing in a machine. Having spent umpteen hours on the internet, I descovered so many conflicting reviews of the different machines, taht I came away feeling more baffled than before I started.
Published on 10 Jan 2006 by Mr X

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality
Had this machine for 3 weeks and the plastic top encasing the grinder has snapped in half during juicing. I was juicing beetroot and it has gone everywhere...walls, ceiling etc. Do not buy this!!
Published on 3 Sep 2010 by Heaters

1,596 of 1,624 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A great machine..., 10 Jan 2006
Mr X "Mr X" (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HR1861 Whole Fruit Juicer - Aluminium (Kitchen & Home)
In the end, I decided to plump for thiss Philips machine, as it had quite a few good reviews, and it looked good (my thinking being that even if it wasn't great it might look good on the work top!).
So I was delighted when I got it for many reasons:
1. It makes great juice (and rather the jug supplied allows for a generous amount of juice). It makes very light work of apples, oranges, strawberries, grapefruit, carrots etc. It is surprising how much juice you get out of one apple. When I was researching, I wondered how much preperation was required... With this model, the chute is big enough for whole apples and oranges, but they recommend that you peel the oranges first (apparently the skin is very bitter), but other non-citrus fruits need no preparation whatsoever.
2. It isn't as loud as a jet engine (it's actually only as loud as my kettle - at the most).
3. It is farily compact - It only takes as much room as the kettle (maybe a little bit more), but I have a tiny kitchen, and it has fitted in no problem.
4. It's dead easy to clean and doesn't require a PhD to put it back together. It is very simple to put together, and the supplied brush for the metal thingy that mashes up the fruit is very handy indeed.
5. It gets every drop of moisture out of the fruit leaving only dry pulp in the pulp container. I had read in other reviews that it doesn't get every drop of juice, but my one certainly seems to.
6 It doesn't make mess. WHich is always good - especially as I am usually very good a making mess. the jug's lid also stops splashes.
Things it won't do:
- Startchy fruits (avocados, bananas, mango etc) but I think that goes for all of these juicers.
- Clean itself. Though it is dishwasher safe - I've just not tried that yet.
Overall I am really chuffed to bits with it, and recommend it to anyone who like me, has found it all too confusing.
Now if you will excuse me, I'm off for some more (surprisingly delicious) carrot and orange juice...

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Terrific Juicer....!, 21 Nov 2006
Gadget Fan "G-ESS" (Hamilton, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is the first Juicer I've had and I read all the reviews before I bought this one. I wasn't disappointed, It looks good, juices well and is easy to clean. My wife and I have a juice coctail every day now and our diet has improved considerably. Do yourself a favour, buy one of these...1

PS Just seen a juicing demonstration on TV and the demonstrator used a medium clear plastic food bag to line the pulp collector and so collect all the pulp, since then we haven't had to clean out the pulp bin and as a result cleaning is even easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb juicer, 22 Jun 2013
Pete (Ipswich United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have been using this for a few months now and wanted to report back to say how much I like this product. It's so easy to use, especially now I have tried other people's juicers (other brands) and found the various parts in theirs so hard to clip together or take apart. This model is easy to assemble and easy to get apart after a few juicings and everything is worn in.

Superb price on Amazon too, I actually saw this on a TV shopping channel and when I looked it up found this better model for less!

As for cleaning it, I guess we all have our own idea of what constitutes "easy". I follow the Juice Master's tip - clean the unit BEFORE drinking your juice drink - then you get it all out of the way. Essentially if you clean this immediately, all the organic matter comes off under running water. It's only if you leave it to dry you have problems. I use old carrier bags in the collection part in the back just to reduce the number of bits to clean by one. I would guess it takes as long to clean as it takes to clean and prepare the fruit and veg beforehand.

The quality of juice is excellent - no "bits" or coarseness - and the amount of juice seems fine too. I know more expensive types of juicer get more out, but to give an example, two apples, an orange and one fifth of a pineapple gives a good sized glass of juice.

My unit came with a book by the Juice Master with lots of ideas in. However to be honest I have long since stopped using any books or recipes since they all seem to be just random combinations of fruit and veg with each one given some fancy name. Just experiment! And the great thing is this: Virtually any combination of fruit and veg (avoiding things you cannot juice of course) tastes good. If you have a sweet tooth, adding an apple to veg juice drinks (or even better, half a lime) gives them a nice sweeter edge. I even stick the stalks from my leftover broccoli in my veg juice drink. The only things that don't seem to work together for me are oranges in a mostly veg drink.

My favourite drinks from this:
- 2 apples, 1 orange (or vice versa) plus half a lime and a fifth of a pineapple - lovely breakfast drink.
- Super green juice: Spinach (mug full), 1 apple, 1 carrot, stick of celery, cucumber section, half a lime.

For a silky smooth, heavenly drink try 2 Pink Lady apples plus a quarter of a pineapple, over ice.

Don't worry too much about using a whole carrot of half a carrot, or quarter of a cucumber of half of one, it doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

However I chop and change depending on what's left in the fridge and what's on offer at the supermarket, from this "pool" of items: Spinach, carrots, cucumber, celery, ginger (don't need much of this), unwaxed lemons, beetroot, limes, oranges, golden delicious apples, pink lady apples, pineapple.

Beetroot will give the drink a deep red colour and soil-like taste (peel them to reduce the soil taste if you like) but is supposed to be very good for you.

I am a cucumber and celery hater - I detest both raw as food - yet when juiced they taste amazing - so if you're not a veggie person, be prepared to be surprised. You cannot identify any single vegetable within a juice drink with many others.

So many people sing about the health benefits of juice. Well I am afraid I did not notice a "jump start" in energy levels and my hayfever is as chronic as ever. For me this is more a long term investment in health rather than a quick fix or miracle solution. Even so, I wouldn't be without my juicer now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go and buy one of these machines!!, 15 Jan 2008
J. Morris "Jobadge" (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
I've always loved juice, but had that 'cheap and cheerful chop everything up' machine.

I researched a replacement juicer online and found I became baffled by the choice. I decided to go with this one and it has to be the best buy for the kitchen ever... Apart from a dishwasher!

I bought a Phillips machine about 2 weeks ago and had Jason's book with it free - there is only 1 day that I haven't juiced. I did make myself ill one day because I just drank too much juice, but hey - I was experimenting! LOL. Juicing is now just a normal part of my everyday routine, and not only that, its part of my families routine to drink it too.

I really can't speak highly enough of Jason's inspirational writing & speaking, or of the Phillips juicer - they really do go hand in hand, you can't help but be drawn into the world of juicing.

The other great thing is that because there is virtually no chopping involved, its so easy for the kids to use, and because they can see exactly what they are putting in the machine they have no issues of drinking.

We especially like our very own "Shreks Swamp Juice!" The kids creation of carrots, spinach, celery and apple all for the sake of a giving it a groovy name!

5.0 out of 5 stars In a class of its own, 31 July 2005
For the cost, this is a superb product and nothing can touch it in this price bracket; I cannot recommend it highly enough. I have just moved up from the Moulinex Juice Master Plus and the difference is amazing. You can put the apples in whole and it makes short work of them. The juice is instant and delicious. Cleaning is very easy, all you need is some warm water and a simple nylon brush. It can be dismantled and reassembled in seconds. One word of warning, the juice can splash because it comes out fast - use the supplied jug which fits around the output spout and you'll have no problems. The Juicemaster Jason Vale kindly put me onto this product after he had tested it for Philips and persuaded me not to buy another juicer that cost three times more than this one! Buy this and then a Z star manual juicer for your wheatgrass and you'll be setup perfectly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, 3 Sep 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars philips aluminium juicer, 27 Jun 2006
J. roberts "garage" (uk) - See all my reviews
it was a toss up between this one and the jack la lanne one, and i went for this one because it would 'go ' better in my kitchen, and i am so glad i picked this, it is brilliant. it looks great and is really easy to dismantle and clean, and the juice tastes great.well worth the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars If it's your 1st juicer you will think its great, 2 July 2006
Overall this is not a bad juicer. However, I bought a juicer when they first came out, which is still going strong. The only reason I bought a new one is for the large opening to put the fruit in i.e. whole apples. For my old juicer you would have to cut up the fruit very small which does take time with the philips it is so much easier just wash and put in. (Except oranges which need to be peeled first).

I too find that the mush that is left is still quite wet certainly not as dry as my old one which came out very very dry. Saying this it is not too badly wet. The other thing I have noticed is once you have washed it, I usual leave it to drip dry, my old one seemed to dry within half an hour and had no wet bits anywhere, with the new Philips it can stand over night and is still wet in the morning with bits of water still in it. Again not a problem but something that I have noticed.

The last thing is the jug they give you with it. The lid doesn't open all the way up so if you wanted to put it in the dishwasher you would have problems and even handwashing is not made easy. You can snap it off which I don't think you are meant to do but at least it works (at the moment).

The very last thing when you switch the machine on it jumps so you have to make sure you have one hand on it, again I did not have this problem with my old one.

If this is your first juicer I think you would like it. It does its job and having the large hole for fruit is extremely worth while.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm an amateur juicer and this was a great choice..., 31 Aug 2007
Pooky Hesmondhalgh "Pooky" (London) - See all my reviews
Maybe if you're a hardcore juicaholic there might be a better machine out there if you are willing to remortgage your house... but for anyone who is looking for a first time juicer I would highly recommend buing this one and order a copy of The Juice Master Keeping It Simple: Over 100 Delicious Juices and Smoothies by Jason Vale at the same time. This is exactly what I did a few days ago and I haven't stopped juicing since.

Good points about the juicer are:
1. Wide chute, virtually everything except the largest of apples will go down without being chopped
2. You can juice a lot before you have to empty the pulp... I reckon you could do about 2-3 litres of juice before having pulp probs!
3. Very easy to disassemble and clean... just comes into a few pieces, rinse them under the tap but DO NOT PUT THEM IN THE DISHWASHER UNTIL YOU'VE CLEANED THEM A BIT FIRST! The juicer is dishwasher safe, but you may find your dishwasher is not juicer-pulp safe!
4. Excellent jug - the jug slots onto the tap so no mess, it also has a seperator in it so you can have juice free of scummy foamy stuff that seems to be produced.
5. Seems sturdy... we'll soon see, it will get a lot of use!
6. Compact and good looking - doesn't take up a lot of room in my kitchen, and looks great.

I would highly recommend it, it makes juicing easy (and quite fun!) and you can get going right away - you can put virtually anything through it too, apart from banana and avocado which are apparently a big no no.

Can't recommend it highly enough..

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips juicer compared and tested!, 12 Aug 2007
I borrowed a gear type juicer today costing 250, to compare it with our Philips Pro Aluminium juicer. VERY interesting results... Philips got 64% juice extraction from mixed apples, pears, carrots. The gear type was close: 62% extraction. Not enough to quibble about. BUT the taste and aroma test was very telling: The Philips juice tastes great every time compared to cartons. But when you smell the aroma from the gear type there is a huge difference. The gear type gives juice you can smell in the glass and with an amazing taste, after that the Philips juice doesn't smell of... anything... and it tastes... watered down... This is because the Philips aerates the juice through the grinding process - it leaves it frothy - and the sensitive flavours oxidise within minutes, as do the health giving polyphenols. So if you are juicing for cardio or lung protection, the gear type is best. But if you just want really good juice and don't want top break the bank, the Philips wins hands down. It's so well made. Just don't do taste test as you won't want to give the gear type one back!

Philips HR1861 Whole Fruit Juicer - Aluminium
Philips HR1861 Whole Fruit Juicer - Aluminium by Philips DAP (UK Kitchen and Home Supplier)
Used & New from: 99.99