1,707 Reviews
 (1,233)

1,614 of 1,644 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A great machine...
Being new to the world of juicing, I thought I would do some research before investing in a machine. Having spent umpteen hours on the internet, I descovered so many conflicting reviews of the different machines, taht I came away feeling more baffled than before I started.
Published on 10 Jan 2006 by Mr X

1.0 out of 5 stars Otherwise Excellent Juicer Let Down By Design Flaw
Having researched thoroughly before buying a juicer, and this particular model comes out top in Which? Magazine trials, we bought one. We had no complaints about the effectiveness of the juicer but it has a flaw. The top of the juicer is made from plastic and if this breaks, which it is prone to do, then you cannot use it. We have had two of these and the first one lasted...
Published on 20 Dec 2011 by Daniel Savage

1,614 of 1,644 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A great machine..., 10 Jan 2006
Mr X "Mr X" (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HR1861 Pro Aluminium Juicer (Kitchen & Home)
In the end, I decided to plump for thiss Philips machine, as it had quite a few good reviews, and it looked good (my thinking being that even if it wasn't great it might look good on the work top!).
So I was delighted when I got it for many reasons:
1. It makes great juice (and rather the jug supplied allows for a generous amount of juice). It makes very light work of apples, oranges, strawberries, grapefruit, carrots etc. It is surprising how much juice you get out of one apple. When I was researching, I wondered how much preperation was required... With this model, the chute is big enough for whole apples and oranges, but they recommend that you peel the oranges first (apparently the skin is very bitter), but other non-citrus fruits need no preparation whatsoever.
2. It isn't as loud as a jet engine (it's actually only as loud as my kettle - at the most).
3. It is farily compact - It only takes as much room as the kettle (maybe a little bit more), but I have a tiny kitchen, and it has fitted in no problem.
4. It's dead easy to clean and doesn't require a PhD to put it back together. It is very simple to put together, and the supplied brush for the metal thingy that mashes up the fruit is very handy indeed.
5. It gets every drop of moisture out of the fruit leaving only dry pulp in the pulp container. I had read in other reviews that it doesn't get every drop of juice, but my one certainly seems to.
6 It doesn't make mess. WHich is always good - especially as I am usually very good a making mess. the jug's lid also stops splashes.
Things it won't do:
- Startchy fruits (avocados, bananas, mango etc) but I think that goes for all of these juicers.
- Clean itself. Though it is dishwasher safe - I've just not tried that yet.
Overall I am really chuffed to bits with it, and recommend it to anyone who like me, has found it all too confusing.
Now if you will excuse me, I'm off for some more (surprisingly delicious) carrot and orange juice...

5.0 out of 5 stars Go and buy one of these machines!!, 15 Jan 2008
J. Morris "Jobadge" (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HR1861 Pro Aluminium Juicer (Kitchen & Home)
I've always loved juice, but had that 'cheap and cheerful chop everything up' machine.

I researched a replacement juicer online and found I became baffled by the choice. I decided to go with this one and it has to be the best buy for the kitchen ever... Apart from a dishwasher!

I bought a Phillips machine about 2 weeks ago and had Jason's book with it free - there is only 1 day that I haven't juiced. I did make myself ill one day because I just drank too much juice, but hey - I was experimenting! LOL. Juicing is now just a normal part of my everyday routine, and not only that, its part of my families routine to drink it too.

I really can't speak highly enough of Jason's inspirational writing & speaking, or of the Phillips juicer - they really do go hand in hand, you can't help but be drawn into the world of juicing.

The other great thing is that because there is virtually no chopping involved, its so easy for the kids to use, and because they can see exactly what they are putting in the machine they have no issues of drinking.

We especially like our very own "Shreks Swamp Juice!" The kids creation of carrots, spinach, celery and apple all for the sake of a giving it a groovy name!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality Juicer!, 16 Jan 2009
R. J. Stevens (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HR1861 Pro Aluminium Juicer (Kitchen & Home)
The market for juicers has grown a bit since I last had one about 10 years ago so before buying my Philips HR1861 I did plenty of online research. For the most part, this one came out on top in people's reviews - it was perceived as being well made, efficient and good value for money, not to mention that it was also not unpleasant to look at.
I have not been dissapointed. It is very quiet, the motor runs smoothly and with a sense of great strength, and the little details are worthwhile: the jug that is purpose-built to fit snugly at the spout (complete with a hinged lid that stops any splashing) and the lightly suctioned feet that hold the machine firmly on a flat surface are both excellent touches. Also, the posture of the machine has it permanently tilting slightly forwards so no juice is left to collect in the insides, only to drip on you when you take it all apart; every bit goes into the jug. This leaning aspect also adds an endearing character to the machine, which, if it is to be left out on the counter for any length of time, is a welcome attribute; it looks purposeful and ready for action! Compare your boring old toaster or tired old plastic kettle - characterless!
Cleaning juicers has always been a rather tiresome chore, but even that task is easier than I had expected with the Philips. Everything will go in a dishwasher but I prefer to do it by hand - I expect that over time the slightly abrasive quality of dish washing tabs or powder will dull the clear plastic parts. The main housing wipes down very easily if there's any spillage as it is made of "Professional anodised aluminium"; the real benefit of this, however, is that it doesn't show finger marks (it's also scratchproof and corrosion resistant).
The machine has two speeds but I am yet to see the true benefit of this; I just do everything on the top speed, my thinking being that, whatever the fruit, the faster it all spins the more juice will be forced out. Scientists are welcome to commment!
My only small warning at this stage (as I've only used the machine a few times so far) is that when you put fruit into the schute it can throw a bit of pith or skin back up - you need to be quick with the "pusher" to block the opening. Or, easier still, just use the flat of your hand. Or even (though I could find no guideline for this in the Philips manual) load fruit into the schute before turning it on, and follow the last piece down with the pusher.
All in all I have only the highest praise for this juicer: it's everything I had read it to be and I am delighted with my purchase.
I recommend it highly to anyone who likes quality products expecting quality performance from them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Very Best Juicer!, 30 Jun 2009
DVK (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HR1861 Pro Aluminium Juicer (Kitchen & Home)
First of all, let me preface my review by saying that I own a masticating top of the line juicer. The kind that grinds and pushes the juice out. It was such a pain to use---and it took forever to put together, take apart and clean. It would literally take me an hour to just put the machine together, get the veggies all prepared for juicing and then the clean-up...it was sooo time-consuming! Forget juicing if you were in a hurry!

I decided to give juicing a try with this juicer because it had been recommended by Jason Vale and had so many top reviews on Amazon. I was really hesitant to buy another juicer---but I did. And, boy, I am SO HAPPY with my purchase! This juicer works like a charm! It takes two minutes to assemble the pieces. The fruit/veggies go into the wide mouth so easily! But the best part? The clean-up! Wow....it just takes five minutes to clean the parts. I use a plastic bag in the pulp container, so I just lift that out and toss it in the wastebasket. The other parts rinse in an eyeblink and you are ready to go again!

I really did not think I could find something that would make juicing quick and easy---but I did. This juicer is high-powered and just a dream to use. I can't say enough good things. Highly recommend this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Terrific Juicer....!, 21 Nov 2006
Gadget Fan "G-ESS" (Hamilton, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HR1861 Pro Aluminium Juicer (Kitchen & Home)
This is the first Juicer I've had and I read all the reviews before I bought this one. I wasn't disappointed, It looks good, juices well and is easy to clean. My wife and I have a juice coctail every day now and our diet has improved considerably. Do yourself a favour, buy one of these...1

PS Just seen a juicing demonstration on TV and the demonstrator used a medium clear plastic food bag to line the pulp collector and so collect all the pulp, since then we haven't had to clean out the pulp bin and as a result cleaning is even easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class Juicer, 24 Sep 2009
Bluebell (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Philips HR1861 Pro Aluminium Juicer (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this juicer because of the large number of reviews on Amazon extolling its virtues. I've used four different juicers in the past and this is by far the best. The centrifugal juicers I've tried have been poor performers as you have to keep emptying the basket of debris and they're difficult to clean, whereas continuous flow juicers, such as this one, can process a lot of juice in one go. The Phillips juicer is very well designed: it's easy to set up (I didn't need to read the instructions) and to dismantle for cleaning; it separates the debris into a large, detachable bin and shoots the juice straight into the custom-made jug (or into a glass for smaller amounts). I was amazed at the speed and efficiency of the appliance. It even skims off the foam that forms on some juices, such as pineapple. The metal mesh basket, that is the heart of the device, lifts out easily for cleaning (a previous juicer I had I had to unscrew the mesh with a tool) and, with the brush supplied, is easy to clean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb juicer, 22 Jun 2013
Pete (Ipswich United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Philips HR1861 Pro Aluminium Juicer (Kitchen & Home)
I have been using this for a few months now and wanted to report back to say how much I like this product. It's so easy to use, especially now I have tried other people's juicers (other brands) and found the various parts in theirs so hard to clip together or take apart. This model is easy to assemble and easy to get apart after a few juicings and everything is worn in.

Superb price on Amazon too, I actually saw this on a TV shopping channel and when I looked it up found this better model for less!

As for cleaning it, I guess we all have our own idea of what constitutes "easy". I follow the Juice Master's tip - clean the unit BEFORE drinking your juice drink - then you get it all out of the way. Essentially if you clean this immediately, all the organic matter comes off under running water. It's only if you leave it to dry you have problems. I use old carrier bags in the collection part in the back just to reduce the number of bits to clean by one. I would guess it takes as long to clean as it takes to clean and prepare the fruit and veg beforehand.

The quality of juice is excellent - no "bits" or coarseness - and the amount of juice seems fine too. I know more expensive types of juicer get more out, but to give an example, two apples, an orange and one fifth of a pineapple gives a good sized glass of juice.

My unit came with a book by the Juice Master with lots of ideas in. However to be honest I have long since stopped using any books or recipes since they all seem to be just random combinations of fruit and veg with each one given some fancy name. Just experiment! And the great thing is this: Virtually any combination of fruit and veg (avoiding things you cannot juice of course) tastes good. If you have a sweet tooth, adding an apple to veg juice drinks (or even better, half a lime) gives them a nice sweeter edge. I even stick the stalks from my leftover broccoli in my veg juice drink. The only things that don't seem to work together for me are oranges in a mostly veg drink.

My favourite drinks from this:
- 2 apples, 1 orange (or vice versa) plus half a lime and a fifth of a pineapple - lovely breakfast drink.
- Super green juice: Spinach (mug full), 1 apple, 1 carrot, stick of celery, cucumber section, half a lime.

For a silky smooth, heavenly drink try 2 Pink Lady apples plus a quarter of a pineapple, over ice.

Don't worry too much about using a whole carrot of half a carrot, or quarter of a cucumber of half of one, it doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

However I chop and change depending on what's left in the fridge and what's on offer at the supermarket, from this "pool" of items: Spinach, carrots, cucumber, celery, ginger (don't need much of this), unwaxed lemons, beetroot, limes, oranges, golden delicious apples, pink lady apples, pineapple.

Beetroot will give the drink a deep red colour and soil-like taste (peel them to reduce the soil taste if you like) but is supposed to be very good for you.

I am a cucumber and celery hater - I detest both raw as food - yet when juiced they taste amazing - so if you're not a veggie person, be prepared to be surprised. You cannot identify any single vegetable within a juice drink with many others.

So many people sing about the health benefits of juice. Well I am afraid I did not notice a "jump start" in energy levels and my hayfever is as chronic as ever. For me this is more a long term investment in health rather than a quick fix or miracle solution. Even so, I wouldn't be without my juicer now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips juicer compared and tested!, 12 Aug 2007
This review is from: Philips HR1861 Pro Aluminium Juicer (Kitchen & Home)
I borrowed a gear type juicer today costing £250, to compare it with our Philips Pro Aluminium juicer. VERY interesting results... Philips got 64% juice extraction from mixed apples, pears, carrots. The gear type was close: 62% extraction. Not enough to quibble about. BUT the taste and aroma test was very telling: The Philips juice tastes great every time compared to cartons. But when you smell the aroma from the gear type there is a huge difference. The gear type gives juice you can smell in the glass and with an amazing taste, after that the Philips juice doesn't smell of... anything... and it tastes... watered down... This is because the Philips aerates the juice through the grinding process - it leaves it frothy - and the sensitive flavours oxidise within minutes, as do the health giving polyphenols. So if you are juicing for cardio or lung protection, the gear type is best. But if you just want really good juice and don't want top break the bank, the Philips wins hands down. It's so well made. Just don't do taste test as you won't want to give the gear type one back!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Juicer, 17 Jan 2007
M. E. Forster (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HR1861 Pro Aluminium Juicer (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this unit before xmas 2006. It makes excellent juice, and I would imagine that it probably is one of the best centrifugal types available with a 700 watt motor, which is capable of extracting the required juice from from either fruit or veg. I would suggest that you obtain Dr Sandra Cabots books (juicing can save your life and the liver detox books) that will help in conjuction with the Juice Master book that comes with the Alu Pro.

Today I tried feeding in the pulp that was made from the ingredients and extracted even more juice.

I would recommend that before each use, you have your sink ready with hot water and washing up liquid so that after use, the 7 items can be washed and dried immediately and the unit placed back where you normally keep it. Also putting a plastic bag in the pulp container will help, so you dont have to wash this and the bag of waste generated can go on the compost heap.

All-in-all, I would reccomed this or something similar (something that has 650watt plus, as anything less might be useless).

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it., 31 July 2007
H. Tingle (Swindon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HR1861 Pro Aluminium Juicer (Kitchen & Home)
This juicer is excellent, it has transformed my life. It is so easy to use. You can chuck in whole bits of fruit like whole apples, whole pears etc. It't annoying that you have to clean it afterwards but that takes two minutes to dismantle and rinse in hot soapy water. The juice tastes fantastic and is so healthy. This juicer gets so much juice out of the fruit. Normally the pulp is practically dry but some fruit like pineapple retains some juice in the pulp.

I love it. It's great :)

The only annoyance for me is that juice doesn't keep longer in the fridge!!

Philips HR1861 Pro Aluminium Juicer