1,504 Reviews
 (1,083)

1,537 of 1,563 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A great machine...
Being new to the world of juicing, I thought I would do some research before investing in a machine. Having spent umpteen hours on the internet, I descovered so many conflicting reviews of the different machines, taht I came away feeling more baffled than before I started.
Published on 10 Jan 2006 by Mr X

3.0 out of 5 stars If it's your 1st juicer you will think its great
Published on 2 July 2006 by Jeanette

1,537 of 1,563 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A great machine..., 10 Jan 2006
Mr X "Mr X" (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HR1861 Whole Fruit Juicer - Aluminium (Kitchen & Home)
In the end, I decided to plump for thiss Philips machine, as it had quite a few good reviews, and it looked good (my thinking being that even if it wasn't great it might look good on the work top!).
So I was delighted when I got it for many reasons:
1. It makes great juice (and rather the jug supplied allows for a generous amount of juice). It makes very light work of apples, oranges, strawberries, grapefruit, carrots etc. It is surprising how much juice you get out of one apple. When I was researching, I wondered how much preperation was required... With this model, the chute is big enough for whole apples and oranges, but they recommend that you peel the oranges first (apparently the skin is very bitter), but other non-citrus fruits need no preparation whatsoever.
2. It isn't as loud as a jet engine (it's actually only as loud as my kettle - at the most).
3. It is farily compact - It only takes as much room as the kettle (maybe a little bit more), but I have a tiny kitchen, and it has fitted in no problem.
4. It's dead easy to clean and doesn't require a PhD to put it back together. It is very simple to put together, and the supplied brush for the metal thingy that mashes up the fruit is very handy indeed.
5. It gets every drop of moisture out of the fruit leaving only dry pulp in the pulp container. I had read in other reviews that it doesn't get every drop of juice, but my one certainly seems to.
6 It doesn't make mess. WHich is always good - especially as I am usually very good a making mess. the jug's lid also stops splashes.
Things it won't do:
- Startchy fruits (avocados, bananas, mango etc) but I think that goes for all of these juicers.
- Clean itself. Though it is dishwasher safe - I've just not tried that yet.
Overall I am really chuffed to bits with it, and recommend it to anyone who like me, has found it all too confusing.
Now if you will excuse me, I'm off for some more (surprisingly delicious) carrot and orange juice...

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Terrific Juicer....!, 21 Nov 2006
Gadget Fan "G-ESS" (Hamilton, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is the first Juicer I've had and I read all the reviews before I bought this one. I wasn't disappointed, It looks good, juices well and is easy to clean. My wife and I have a juice coctail every day now and our diet has improved considerably. Do yourself a favour, buy one of these...1

PS Just seen a juicing demonstration on TV and the demonstrator used a medium clear plastic food bag to line the pulp collector and so collect all the pulp, since then we haven't had to clean out the pulp bin and as a result cleaning is even easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb juicer, 22 Jun 2013
Pete (Ipswich United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I have been using this for a few months now and wanted to report back to say how much I like this product. It's so easy to use, especially now I have tried other people's juicers (other brands) and found the various parts in theirs so hard to clip together or take apart. This model is easy to assemble and easy to get apart after a few juicings and everything is worn in.

Superb price on Amazon too, I actually saw this on a TV shopping channel and when I looked it up found this better model for less!

As for cleaning it, I guess we all have our own idea of what constitutes "easy". I follow the Juice Master's tip - clean the unit BEFORE drinking your juice drink - then you get it all out of the way. Essentially if you clean this immediately, all the organic matter comes off under running water. It's only if you leave it to dry you have problems. I use old carrier bags in the collection part in the back just to reduce the number of bits to clean by one. I would guess it takes as long to clean as it takes to clean and prepare the fruit and veg beforehand.

The quality of juice is excellent - no "bits" or coarseness - and the amount of juice seems fine too. I know more expensive types of juicer get more out, but to give an example, two apples, an orange and one fifth of a pineapple gives a good sized glass of juice.

My unit came with a book by the Juice Master with lots of ideas in. However to be honest I have long since stopped using any books or recipes since they all seem to be just random combinations of fruit and veg with each one given some fancy name. Just experiment! And the great thing is this: Virtually any combination of fruit and veg (avoiding things you cannot juice of course) tastes good. If you have a sweet tooth, adding an apple to veg juice drinks (or even better, half a lime) gives them a nice sweeter edge. I even stick the stalks from my leftover broccoli in my veg juice drink. The only things that don't seem to work together for me are oranges in a mostly veg drink.

My favourite drinks from this:
- 2 apples, 1 orange (or vice versa) plus half a lime and a fifth of a pineapple - lovely breakfast drink.
- Super green juice: Spinach (mug full), 1 apple, 1 carrot, stick of celery, cucumber section, half a lime.

For a silky smooth, heavenly drink try 2 Pink Lady apples plus a quarter of a pineapple, over ice.

Don't worry too much about using a whole carrot of half a carrot, or quarter of a cucumber of half of one, it doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

However I chop and change depending on what's left in the fridge and what's on offer at the supermarket, from this "pool" of items: Spinach, carrots, cucumber, celery, ginger (don't need much of this), unwaxed lemons, beetroot, limes, oranges, golden delicious apples, pink lady apples, pineapple.

Beetroot will give the drink a deep red colour and soil-like taste (peel them to reduce the soil taste if you like) but is supposed to be very good for you.

I am a cucumber and celery hater - I detest both raw as food - yet when juiced they taste amazing - so if you're not a veggie person, be prepared to be surprised. You cannot identify any single vegetable within a juice drink with many others.

So many people sing about the health benefits of juice. Well I am afraid I did not notice a "jump start" in energy levels and my hayfever is as chronic as ever. For me this is more a long term investment in health rather than a quick fix or miracle solution. Even so, I wouldn't be without my juicer now.

3.0 out of 5 stars If it's your 1st juicer you will think its great, 2 July 2006
Overall this is not a bad juicer. However, I bought a juicer when they first came out, which is still going strong. The only reason I bought a new one is for the large opening to put the fruit in i.e. whole apples. For my old juicer you would have to cut up the fruit very small which does take time with the philips it is so much easier just wash and put in. (Except oranges which need to be peeled first).

I too find that the mush that is left is still quite wet certainly not as dry as my old one which came out very very dry. Saying this it is not too badly wet. The other thing I have noticed is once you have washed it, I usual leave it to drip dry, my old one seemed to dry within half an hour and had no wet bits anywhere, with the new Philips it can stand over night and is still wet in the morning with bits of water still in it. Again not a problem but something that I have noticed.

The last thing is the jug they give you with it. The lid doesn't open all the way up so if you wanted to put it in the dishwasher you would have problems and even handwashing is not made easy. You can snap it off which I don't think you are meant to do but at least it works (at the moment).

The very last thing when you switch the machine on it jumps so you have to make sure you have one hand on it, again I did not have this problem with my old one.

If this is your first juicer I think you would like it. It does its job and having the large hole for fruit is extremely worth while.

5.0 out of 5 stars In a class of its own, 31 July 2005
D. Raybould "daveraybould" (Cheltenham UK) - See all my reviews
For the cost, this is a superb product and nothing can touch it in this price bracket; I cannot recommend it highly enough. I have just moved up from the Moulinex Juice Master Plus and the difference is amazing. You can put the apples in whole and it makes short work of them. The juice is instant and delicious. Cleaning is very easy, all you need is some warm water and a simple nylon brush. It can be dismantled and reassembled in seconds. One word of warning, the juice can splash because it comes out fast - use the supplied jug which fits around the output spout and you'll have no problems. The Juicemaster Jason Vale kindly put me onto this product after he had tested it for Philips and persuaded me not to buy another juicer that cost three times more than this one! Buy this and then a Z star manual juicer for your wheatgrass and you'll be setup perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Juicer, 1 April 2006
Olivia Card (jersey CI) - See all my reviews
I spent a long time reviewing lots of juicers and this one came out with very good reviews .
I have to say i've had the juicer for a week now and it is all true , Its great.
Its quiet , looks great , you can fit whole fruit in it , it exracts so much juice, the jug means that there is no overspill and most important of all its easy to clean which result in me using it every day .I would highly recomend it .

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips HR1861 Pro Aluminium Juicer, 6 July 2006
P. Trudgeon (London) - See all my reviews
Absolutely fabulous juicer. I bought it from Amazon. It does marvelous juices, it is easy to operate and easy to clean. I use it daily.Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent for the price, 20 Nov 2005
By A Customer
I was also recommended this juicer by Jason Vale. For £75, it's very good value.
Not having to chop fruit and veg makes more difference than I thought it would, it's so easy to whizz it through. The juice does come out quickly, the jug needs the lid! I agree with another reviewer's comment that the pulp is wetter than hoped, but pushing the pulp back through again gets more of the juice out - but does negate the speed of juicing issue.
It is quite bulky and takes up a fair bit of counter space in my kitchen but as I use it pretty much every day, it's staying there!
The pulp container is large, so you can juice a lot in one go, but is so large it barely fits in my dishwasher. Putting a little bag in it makes that unneccessary. I had thought it a bit of a pain to dismantle and clean but I was making life difficult for myself and Mr Vale showed me an easier way.
All in all, an excellent juicer, and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 1 Aug 2006
Like most I did quite a bit of reserch before buying this juicer, and most reviews seemed to rate it very highly. it is the first juicer I have bought, and I am really pleased with it.

It is fast, takes whole fruit and copes fine with things I thought it might struggle with like pineapple. The fresh juice tastes fantastic, and all the parts go fine thought the dishwasher too.

It is easy to clean without using the dishwasher too, if you just put all the parts straight into soapy water after using and use the provided brush to clean the part which chops the fruit.

Good size of pulp container, even making juice for 6 I only half filled it.Suction cups fasten it securely to the worktop.

It also looks very sleek and stylish. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars From a virgin juicer, 7 Jun 2006
I have been nagging my partner about investing in a juicer and was seduced by the ad on QVC for the one at 120 as advertised by the ageing American. However, when doing research I read all the reviews on the various ones and the Philips HR1861 appeared to be a better bet. I took delivery of my juicer 48 hours ago and pressed (forgive the pun) it into immediate action. I think it's fantastic. It's not too big on the worktop and actually looks very sleek. The motor is really quiet and the suckers on the feet ensure it stays put. It's ridiculously easy to take apart and clean and the little brush it came with cleans the mesh filter properly in seconds. I have made some fantastic juices and have even baked muffins from the pulp, which incidentally comes out quite dry so I don't feel I'm wasting juice. The juicer is deliberately built to sit at an angle so all the juice pours out quickly and the jug fits snugly over the spout to no splattering. One final thing, the jug even has a removable separator so if you don't like your juice frothy, it will skim it off. A great investment, I hope it wears well, I think it will get loads of use.

ARRAY(0xad0de384)