1,805 Reviews
 (1,303)

1,653 of 1,686 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A great machine...
Being new to the world of juicing, I thought I would do some research before investing in a machine. Having spent umpteen hours on the internet, I descovered so many conflicting reviews of the different machines, taht I came away feeling more baffled than before I started.
Published on 10 Jan. 2006 by Mr X

3.0 out of 5 stars philips juicer
I bought this product 3 months ago and have been successfully juicing everyday with it. I t has been great - easy to use; takes whole fruit; can go in the dish washer and looks good too!

Published on 11 July 2011 by ak

1,653 of 1,686 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A great machine..., 10 Jan. 2006
Mr X "Mr X" (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HR1861 Whole Fruit Juicer - Aluminium (Kitchen & Home)
In the end, I decided to plump for thiss Philips machine, as it had quite a few good reviews, and it looked good (my thinking being that even if it wasn't great it might look good on the work top!).
So I was delighted when I got it for many reasons:
1. It makes great juice (and rather the jug supplied allows for a generous amount of juice). It makes very light work of apples, oranges, strawberries, grapefruit, carrots etc. It is surprising how much juice you get out of one apple. When I was researching, I wondered how much preperation was required... With this model, the chute is big enough for whole apples and oranges, but they recommend that you peel the oranges first (apparently the skin is very bitter), but other non-citrus fruits need no preparation whatsoever.
2. It isn't as loud as a jet engine (it's actually only as loud as my kettle - at the most).
3. It is farily compact - It only takes as much room as the kettle (maybe a little bit more), but I have a tiny kitchen, and it has fitted in no problem.
4. It's dead easy to clean and doesn't require a PhD to put it back together. It is very simple to put together, and the supplied brush for the metal thingy that mashes up the fruit is very handy indeed.
5. It gets every drop of moisture out of the fruit leaving only dry pulp in the pulp container. I had read in other reviews that it doesn't get every drop of juice, but my one certainly seems to.
6 It doesn't make mess. WHich is always good - especially as I am usually very good a making mess. the jug's lid also stops splashes.
Things it won't do:
- Startchy fruits (avocados, bananas, mango etc) but I think that goes for all of these juicers.
- Clean itself. Though it is dishwasher safe - I've just not tried that yet.
Overall I am really chuffed to bits with it, and recommend it to anyone who like me, has found it all too confusing.
Now if you will excuse me, I'm off for some more (surprisingly delicious) carrot and orange juice...

4.0 out of 5 stars exquisite, 8 Jan. 2014
I have never seen anything like it, I never possessed a juicer before, and now I got this one. I must say I have just finished drinking my juices made up of all the fruits that were in my kitchen: carrots, kiwis, apples, oranges clementines... They taste so good mixed together that I am thinking of making some more.

When I buy carrots for example, I use them for my soups, but since the pack is so cheap, and it contains so many carrots, usually three or four carrots always end up unused, sitting in the fridge for days until they have to be thrown away. With this machine I will use every carrot in the package I get from the shop, never again having to throw away any. Actually this makes me want to buy more carrots which equals to more vitamin D.

The item works well, no incidents when assembling it, no trouble cleaning it. Very practical. Not loud at all.
My 12 year old son too enjoyed true carrot and orange juice which is his favourite drink.
I hope this juicer will last long time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only complaint I have is with Amazon: the external packaging was poor and precarious, the items into it (two rolls of sticky plastic paper for books, and the juicemaker box) were very loose in it with no protecting paper, they extensively moved from one side to the other of the box, the outside of the box didn't have enough tape to hold it together (some of the tape was also ripped), and the instructions booklets inside the juicer box were stained with some red color, maybe food, so I though that the item I received was not perfectly new, maybe delivered to someone else and opened before it was sent to me.
I hope this won't happen again with the breadmaker I recently ordered otherwise I'll send it back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality Juicer!, 16 Jan. 2009
R. J. Stevens (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
The market for juicers has grown a bit since I last had one about 10 years ago so before buying my Philips HR1861 I did plenty of online research. For the most part, this one came out on top in people's reviews - it was perceived as being well made, efficient and good value for money, not to mention that it was also not unpleasant to look at.
I have not been dissapointed. It is very quiet, the motor runs smoothly and with a sense of great strength, and the little details are worthwhile: the jug that is purpose-built to fit snugly at the spout (complete with a hinged lid that stops any splashing) and the lightly suctioned feet that hold the machine firmly on a flat surface are both excellent touches. Also, the posture of the machine has it permanently tilting slightly forwards so no juice is left to collect in the insides, only to drip on you when you take it all apart; every bit goes into the jug. This leaning aspect also adds an endearing character to the machine, which, if it is to be left out on the counter for any length of time, is a welcome attribute; it looks purposeful and ready for action! Compare your boring old toaster or tired old plastic kettle - characterless!
Cleaning juicers has always been a rather tiresome chore, but even that task is easier than I had expected with the Philips. Everything will go in a dishwasher but I prefer to do it by hand - I expect that over time the slightly abrasive quality of dish washing tabs or powder will dull the clear plastic parts. The main housing wipes down very easily if there's any spillage as it is made of "Professional anodised aluminium"; the real benefit of this, however, is that it doesn't show finger marks (it's also scratchproof and corrosion resistant).
The machine has two speeds but I am yet to see the true benefit of this; I just do everything on the top speed, my thinking being that, whatever the fruit, the faster it all spins the more juice will be forced out. Scientists are welcome to commment!
My only small warning at this stage (as I've only used the machine a few times so far) is that when you put fruit into the schute it can throw a bit of pith or skin back up - you need to be quick with the "pusher" to block the opening. Or, easier still, just use the flat of your hand. Or even (though I could find no guideline for this in the Philips manual) load fruit into the schute before turning it on, and follow the last piece down with the pusher.
All in all I have only the highest praise for this juicer: it's everything I had read it to be and I am delighted with my purchase.
I recommend it highly to anyone who likes quality products expecting quality performance from them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Clean and Works very Well., 14 July 2013
Bruce "from Brighton" (UK - England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This comes in an enormous box, but this is easiy broken down for re-cycling. The items are solid and feel incredibly sturdy - especially the aluminium parts. This is larger than I expected, but fits into a reasonably small space in the kitchen.

The package includes a good recipe book by Jason Vale (who recommends this machine) and extensive instructions from Philips, which also makes suggestions for recipes. Once assembled the juicer looks good, but its main feature is the simplicity of the design. It breaks down into 4 large parts which can be easily rinsed under a tap, to clean off the pulp of the fruit. In the past, juicers have been very difficult to clean; but this one is very easy indeed.

Once assembled, it is simplicity itself to use - you just push the fruit down the large feeding tube at the top. Instructions say you can put in whole apples - this works, but is quite slow. I found that if you chopped them in half, it's much quicker and easier. Generally it works better if you chop things into pieces - but even allowing for this, the whole process is just a few minutes and you have fresh juice.

In place the unit tilts to one side, which is where you place the jug provided, to hold the juice. This is a nice, clear plastic design with an insert that allows you pour the juice into glasses without taking the foam from the top. Overall, the system worked very well and seems to produce excellent results - very pleasant with some ice, on hot summer days.

Given that it's currently selling for half price on Amazon, this has to be a top recommendation for this kind of thing. It certainly looks very good and it works quickly and efficiently. But what really sells it, is how easy it is to clean. Having owned and given up on previous units that sat unused due to such difficulties; it is very pleasing to discover something that has overcome all those problems, to make quick and easy juicing.

5.0 out of 5 stars philipsAluminium Whole Fruit Juicer with Juice Jug, 15 Mar. 2012
My teenage son had been asking me to buy a juicer for about three years. This particular juicer was voted a 'Best Buy' by Which magazine, Best Juicer in Good Housekeeping and scored 10 out of 10 in a Daily Mirror test of all juicers and for very good reasons. I was ill when it arrived and I didn't unpack it for three weeks as I thought that reading the instructions and learning how to use it would take sometime. How wrong I was. It could not have been easier to use. Within minutes of unpacking it and giving the parts a quick wash, it was churning out fresh orange and apple juice. It is truly amazing to see how much juice comes out of an apple or any other fruit and the taste is so superior to shop bought juices you would never consider buying them again. It is so easy to use that once you start juicing, you want to juice everything in sight. It is a doddle to clean. Although all removeable part are dishwasher safe, it is almost as fast to clean them as it is to rinse them ready for the dishwasher. Ours came with a free copy of "Keeping it Simple" by the Juice Master, Jason Vale. This is a truly wonderful and inspiring Juice and Smoothies book. You may blanch at some of the recipes inside but believe me, everything comes out tasting fantastic and you get a real buzz from knowing that you're putting such health giving ingredients into your body. It's a fantastic way of getting young children to consume fruits and vegetables that they may not ordinarily like and they will soon be inventing their own combinations. The lovely design of the Juicer will ensure that it won't be kept hidden in a cupboard but will be displayed proudly on your work surfaces always ready for use. It's definitely one of the best products I have ever bought and I can truly find nothing to critise about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Terrific Juicer....!, 21 Nov. 2006
Gadget Fan "G-ESS" (Hamilton, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is the first Juicer I've had and I read all the reviews before I bought this one. I wasn't disappointed, It looks good, juices well and is easy to clean. My wife and I have a juice coctail every day now and our diet has improved considerably. Do yourself a favour, buy one of these...1

PS Just seen a juicing demonstration on TV and the demonstrator used a medium clear plastic food bag to line the pulp collector and so collect all the pulp, since then we haven't had to clean out the pulp bin and as a result cleaning is even easier.

3.0 out of 5 stars philips juicer, 11 July 2011

However after 3 months of use, the bin that collects the discarded fruit, started to come away from the rest of the machine while in use. I examined the parts and I couldn't see any reason why it would do this, unless it has somehow become loose over time.

Anyway I reported the fault to Amazon. They were fantastic and sent me out a replacement juicer in less than 24 hours of me emailing them my complaint! So great customer service!!

I am using the replacement and will be interested to see if the same fault occurs with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb juicer, 22 Jun. 2013
Pete (Ipswich United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have been using this for a few months now and wanted to report back to say how much I like this product. It's so easy to use, especially now I have tried other people's juicers (other brands) and found the various parts in theirs so hard to clip together or take apart. This model is easy to assemble and easy to get apart after a few juicings and everything is worn in.

Superb price on Amazon too, I actually saw this on a TV shopping channel and when I looked it up found this better model for less!

As for cleaning it, I guess we all have our own idea of what constitutes "easy". I follow the Juice Master's tip - clean the unit BEFORE drinking your juice drink - then you get it all out of the way. Essentially if you clean this immediately, all the organic matter comes off under running water. It's only if you leave it to dry you have problems. I use old carrier bags in the collection part in the back just to reduce the number of bits to clean by one. I would guess it takes as long to clean as it takes to clean and prepare the fruit and veg beforehand.

The quality of juice is excellent - no "bits" or coarseness - and the amount of juice seems fine too. I know more expensive types of juicer get more out, but to give an example, two apples, an orange and one fifth of a pineapple gives a good sized glass of juice.

My unit came with a book by the Juice Master with lots of ideas in. However to be honest I have long since stopped using any books or recipes since they all seem to be just random combinations of fruit and veg with each one given some fancy name. Just experiment! And the great thing is this: Virtually any combination of fruit and veg (avoiding things you cannot juice of course) tastes good. If you have a sweet tooth, adding an apple to veg juice drinks (or even better, half a lime) gives them a nice sweeter edge. I even stick the stalks from my leftover broccoli in my veg juice drink. The only things that don't seem to work together for me are oranges in a mostly veg drink.

My favourite drinks from this:
- 2 apples, 1 orange (or vice versa) plus half a lime and a fifth of a pineapple - lovely breakfast drink.
- Super green juice: Spinach (mug full), 1 apple, 1 carrot, stick of celery, cucumber section, half a lime.

For a silky smooth, heavenly drink try 2 Pink Lady apples plus a quarter of a pineapple, over ice.

Don't worry too much about using a whole carrot of half a carrot, or quarter of a cucumber of half of one, it doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

However I chop and change depending on what's left in the fridge and what's on offer at the supermarket, from this "pool" of items: Spinach, carrots, cucumber, celery, ginger (don't need much of this), unwaxed lemons, beetroot, limes, oranges, golden delicious apples, pink lady apples, pineapple.

Beetroot will give the drink a deep red colour and soil-like taste (peel them to reduce the soil taste if you like) but is supposed to be very good for you.

I am a cucumber and celery hater - I detest both raw as food - yet when juiced they taste amazing - so if you're not a veggie person, be prepared to be surprised. You cannot identify any single vegetable within a juice drink with many others.

So many people sing about the health benefits of juice. Well I am afraid I did not notice a "jump start" in energy levels and my hayfever is as chronic as ever. For me this is more a long term investment in health rather than a quick fix or miracle solution. Even so, I wouldn't be without my juicer now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps keep you healthy and young, 21 May 2012
I've had this machine for more than 6 months and can now confirm its quality. It's robust and easy to use and clean. The book about juicing provided gives you ideas about what are the possibilities.

With the large feeding tube it's really quick to make a lot of juice in minutes.

It's enough to quickly wash the parts under running water if you clean it immediately. Only use the soft brush provided for cleaning the filter, normal dish washing brush may break it. Don't leave the machine unclean for more than 1 day, it would stink! Don't leave the bits go down the drain, use a little sink filter to avoid clogging.

This machine helps you keep healthy and young. It's ideal for juicing and detox: after a bit of getting used to I can now drink only fruit juice for breakfast without eating anything else. It's nutritious, easy to digest, it made my skin look radiant and improved the quality of my hair.

Also vegetable juices are really great. I add a few stems of mint and a slice of lime to both fruit and vegetable juices and they taste delicious.

I've purchased other two machines for my family and everybody is happy with it. Fully recommended!

WARNING: don't throw the pieces of food into the feeding tube, it could break the transparent plastic lid. It happened to me when I throw in a slice of lime into the feeding tube while the machine was running. It's better to stop the machine and *deposit* the food into the feeding tube.

I found a replacement transparent lid here [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb machine!, 19 Mar. 2011
Pete (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I ummed and ahhhed for quite some time before getting this juicer yet from the moment it arrived its become the most used appliance in the house.

I always wondered how people were supposed to eat at least 5 portions of fruit and veg a day. I tried to, but very long working days made it difficult to consistently achieve. Since owning this juicer I have (the juice of) 5 to 10 portions guaranteed and also have more variety that normal by introducing beetroot, avocado and spinach - things I'd not normally consume. After a month of juicing I feel great - my skin has improved and people have commented that I look great. If you haven't already - start juicing.

Anyway, this review should be about the machine. I must have used it 50 times without a hiccup. In fact, looking at the simplicity of its design it'd hard to see what could go wrong so long as the motor holds up. The pulp is usually dry to the touch, indicating good extraction levels and the parts are a breeze to clean. Good tip - always clean it before consuming the juice - it'll take two minutes to rinse the parts under the tap - much longer if the fruit juice dries on.

All in all this is a great product full stop but particularly for its price. It looks good enough to leave out on the counter making it more likely that you'll use it. Full marks all round!

A final point - you'll get more out of this machine if you also have a blender/processor - that way you can make great lassis and smoothies too.

Philips HR1861 Whole Fruit Juicer - Aluminium