1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Highlights and insights..., 14 Feb 2006
Kurt Messick "FrKurt Messick" (London, SW1) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Outer Limits: New Series Pack [DVD] [1995] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
I am going to differ with many of my fellow reviewers regarding the format here: I have long enjoyed the series 'Outer Limits', both the old series and the new series, but was not sure if I would ever find the means to collect all of the seasons. Perhaps it is because many of my favourite episodes are to be found in this collection that I don't mind the topical selection method, but it does serve to give a good overview of the several years of the new 'Outer Limits' series.
There are six discs in this collection, each with six episodes, arranged around a theme - transformation/mutation, time travel, android/robots, aliens in the world, death/afterlife, and sex in science fiction; thus, 36 one-hour episodes in all (well over a whole season's offerings). My favourite episodes include 'I, Robot', starring Leonard Nimoy (derivative of an Isaac Asimov idea), 'The Grell' (which highlights issues of xenophobia and community inclusion in a unique way), and 'Human Operators' (with the voice of Malcolm McDowell, who gives a stellar performance without ever being on screen).
The original series of the 'Outer Limits' was a groundbreaking television production, testing limits and innovating ways of adapting to the still relatively new medium of television. The new series has much better production values, but apart from the occasional nudity (which is censored for broadcast, but was preserved on the original cable offering and again on DVD format), the series is no longer an innovative one - most of the stories seem at home on the screen, and while they are interesting, they don't break new ground. Perhaps that is indicative of how much both public awareness and entertainment has progress in the past generation.
Each DVD has extras, including featurettes for the episodes and a more general topical feature discussing the origins of the series. The menu are user friendly and logically oriented. The one drawback I have seen is that a few of the double-sided DVDs have problems playing on my DVD player some of the time. There are skips, freezes and a few other glitches that occasionally (but not frequently) manifest; while pausing and repeating usually clears these problems, it is not ideal. This has only happened on two episodes.
There are a few episodes I wish had been included: 'Origin of Species', the part-two episode of 'Double Helix', would have been a welcome inclusion. My list of what I would also like to have could go on and on, and in the fullness of time I am likely to acquire the complete series (at which time this set of topically arranged DVDs will make a good gift for a friend). Until that time, I am happy to have so many episodes of the series in this creatively arranged collection.
Do not adjust your set...

Outer Limits: New Series Pack [DVD] [1995] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]