4.0 out of 5 stars Not Their Best BUT still worth your money!!
I have been eagerly looking forward to this since 2001's Futureperfect, and it is worth the wait, but only just!
The latest single Chrome was a great taster of what was to come, the only thing about this album is that it doesn't seem to flow like previous offerings , there is a greater mix of styles from relaxing instrumentals to full on pounding techno beats...
Published on 2 April 2005 by Bob

2.0 out of 5 stars TWO MANY DJ'S
the last I heard from VNV Nation over the last year was that they dj'ed a lot. unfortunately.
this album is full of 90's instrumental sounds. why? sometimes it even takes me back to boring 80's dance songs.
Published on 9 Jun 2005

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Their Best BUT still worth your money!!, 2 April 2005
This review is from: Matter + Form (Audio CD)
It is certainly a broader range of styles than they have put out in the past , earlier releases are more downbeat compared to this album.
Still I am pretty impressed, so go ahead and buy it, you might want to try out Empires to see where they have come from!
**** Stars
All I can hope for is a gig in the UK next!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What is truth, 12 July 2005
Erica Anderson (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matter + Form (Audio CD)
VNV Nation is one easily one of best bands in the EBM/futurepop genre as well as in general. I first discovered them a couple of years ago with their last studio album "Futureperfect". I was completely awestruck by their abilities to fuse haunting lyrics and melodies with a blend of industrial and synthpop beats. Ronan Harris writes some of the most beautiful lyrics I have ever heard (i.e "Beloved").
I finally obtained a copy of "Matter + Form". I personally love this album. I think it is great that the band continues to evolve with their sound. I think it would be dull for a band like VNV Nation to stick with one particular sound. It may work for bands like AC/DC but I think in VNV's case, they should be allowed to grow as a band. While there is no "Beloved" to be found on this album per say, the songs are far from lacking a good hook. I dug the industrial-influenced tracks "Chrome" and "Arena". They really set the tone of the album and I hope the band plays one or both of those songs live next month in concert. "Colours of Rain" is a beautiful haunting instrumental. "Homeward" is another personal favorite track of mine that I find myself hitting the replay button on.
I thought "Matter + Form" is a solid follow-up to "Futureperfect". I thought the general overall sound of "Matter + Form" was more aggressive than the band's previous two albums because of songs like "Arena" and "Perpetual" (another personal favorite track of mine). It is definitely one of the best albums of the year so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars NATION FORWARD, 11 April 2005
This review is from: Matter & Form (Audio CD)
For me each VNV Nation album has surpassed the former and this disc is no exception to that rule. Ronan Harris has produced the most consistent and dare I say it radio friendly VNV CD to date and within a few listens you are easily hooked. Standout tracks for me have to be ARENA and PERPETUAL which are reminiscent of former glories like STANDING and BELOVED which is where VNV's strength has always resided - uplifting synths washing over beautiful melodies. The only real difference being the live drumming patterns taking over from pounding beats which not only make the songs even more human but strangely 'rock' without guitars a la NIN etc. The only criticism of the album is that the standard VNV tracks are the poorest on the album - sure CHROME grows with time but when compared to the less aggressive numbers it pales by comparison. Ronan Harris has produced another CD where melody wins over everything. Even you.

5.0 out of 5 stars all in all the best!!, 20 May 2005
This review is from: Matter + Form (Audio CD)
the next in a great line of work if you like vnv you will love it if not just listen to"perpetual" you may then !
future perfect and empires also advance and follow v2 are also worth the effort!! but i'm biased
hope they play uk soon need fix !! as jumping about in a club just ain't the same!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Jan 2014
This review is from: Matter + Form (Audio CD)
A brillient album! Love every song on the album. Will look into more of there albums in the future. This will help the hours fly by :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD!, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Matter + Form (Audio CD)
Bought this as a present for my partner and he absolutely loved it! If you are a fan of dark electronic, definitely check this album! Perfect description, good communication and fast delivery. Happy customer!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have VNV Nation Album, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Matter & Form (Audio CD)
Been listening to this album overe and over agin for the last couple of days.

Some truly great tracks, really like Chrome and Entropy.

Add it to your wish list

4.0 out of 5 stars Wicked!, 7 Dec 2005
This review is from: Matter + Form (Audio CD)
To me they are the coolest band around! Discovered them in the US 3 years ago after hearing 'Airships' on the radio.
The only reason I haven't given 5* is the tracklisting, love the instrumentals but there are 6 including the Intro; too many for me. I want to hear more vocal.
Perpetual, Homeward, Strata, Arena, are all some of the best I have heard from them.
Saw them in Sheffield last month for the first time and they KICK ASS! What a cool night and the songs from Matter and Form were cool.
Miss them at your peril!

2.0 out of 5 stars TWO MANY DJ'S, 9 Jun 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Matter + Form (Audio CD)
only lyrics on 6 songs. very disappointing and a huge step back (I used to be a fan!). certainly they don't win new ones with this record, but maybe if sales figures don't go up we don't have to wait 4 years for 3 good new songs

Matter + Form
Matter + Form by VNV Nation (Audio CD - 2005)
Click for more info