4.0 out of 5 stars Good value
Published 12 months ago by Big Bad Bill

3.0 out of 5 stars TAM AF18-200
Published on 25 Feb. 2007 by Mr. C. Muscat

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 25 July 2014
Big Bad Bill "Big Bad Bill" (Somwhere on the Celtic Fringe) - See all my reviews
I recently bought this lens for use on my Nikon D3200 while on holiday as I was finding carrying my kit bag with a selection of lenses literally a pain (Nikon 18-55, Nikon 35 and Tamron 70-300). Physically this lens is very compact. When at 18mm minus the supplied hood it is about the same length as the Nikon 18-55mm kit lens. This is handy for storage in bags etc (always have to remove my 70-300 before placing camera in bag).

In use the lens is fine, the AF works well but is noisy compared with the Nikon 18-55. Focus speed is fine in decent light. I have used the lens for insects and for landscapes. Despite the name this is not a Macro lens, even at 200mm as close as you can focus, you need to crop a lot to fill a picture with a butterfly for example. Luckily it is a sharp lens and with 24mp I can do this. At 18mm this lens does show considerable distortion, with very noticeably curved sea horizons for example. Photoshops camera raw plugin can correct this as it has a profile for this one fairly old lens.

Overall I am happy given the low price and the quality is good enough for me to carry this as my standard zoom rather than the Nikon 18-55, and it has great flexibility when travelling, avoiding needing to lug a selection of lenses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purely amazing professional quality lens, 18 Aug. 2011
This lens fascinated me. I read the reviews online and bought the product due to its low price. From the reviews that i had read, i expected the lens to be of lower quality build, lower functionality after a certain focal length, and overall just an ok lens. However, as soon as i lifted it out of the box my assumptions were proved wrong. The quality of build was amazing, and i soon decided that the build quality of this lens is actually better than the NIKKOR lens that I already had. The zoom range is very very high quality and doesn't become blurred after a certain length. The only thing i would say is a con is that it makes my camera from heavy, even with a battery grip, but you can only really tell when you try to stand it up and it falls forward.... but most of the time its either on a tripod, around my neck/back or in its bag. Overall I love this lens and this it is superb quality for its price... forget the price... this is an amazing lens and takes great photographs. Also, i love the included lens hood, and i especially love how fast the autofocus works, although it is a bit loud... but you can even control the focus in autofocus mode without breaking it, as the motor is strong but flexible in how tight it holds the focus. The button to stop the lens extending when not in use is a very clever one, and all this adds up to one conclusion to me. I won't tell you what it is but ill say it has replaced all my lenses and makes me very very happy. Have a guess what I think!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Reasonably good budget lens at a truly fantastic price!, 17 Oct. 2009
Mr. T. White (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I happen to have this as well as its rival, the Canon 18-200. So please bear that in mind when assessing my review. Secondly, please ignore the (inevitable) forthcoming two thumbs down as I happen to have a complete i--ot, who trolls all of my reviews. In fact, he who always thumbs my reviews down has written more in the comments section of my reviews than anything else on the whole of Amazon, which should say something to you about how much worth you should give to his thumbs down to my review. And now, my review which I hope most of you will appreciate. :-)

Is this a great lens? No. Is this a reasonably good lens at a fantastic price? Yes.

Selling at almost a third of its Canon equivalent, its quality is respectably about 2/3 of the more expensive lens. So on pure price to performance ratio, the Tamron is a winning budget lens and deserves serious consideration mainly if price is an issue to you. Note too that second hand values are strong - whichever lens you choose. So it definitely is worthwhile trying the Tamron first to assess its quality for yourself. Otherwise if you can comfortably afford the Canon, buy that instead - as there are definite differences in overall output quality which, frankly, are noticeable at times.

This Tamron's build quality is first rate, and apart from the fact that it's a not particularly heavy lens, you'd be hard pressed to tell that this is a budget zoom at all. Yet when it comes to output on my Eos 40D, the said differences between the lenses become apparent. In particular, compared to its far more expensive rival, there are two areas where overall quality is compromised: Colour reproduction and sharpness. Colours are restrained at best and otherwise somewhat lifeless. Vibrancy is definitely compromised at this price point, and there is sometimes noticeable chromatic aberration which is absent from photos taken with the Canon. On a more expensive lens this would not be acceptable, though at this price it's most definitely excusable. Having said as much, I still rate the lens highly - purely because it is, without any doubt, so cheap; and definitely not a waste of one's finances when there is such constant demand for these lenses. At the time of my writing this review, the Tamron is comfortably achieving 90-95% of its new price - such is the market demand for a cheap, versatile, go-anywhere, zoom lens.

So in summary, at its current price, it is definitely worth buying if you are on a budget and looking for an incredibly versatile lens for your Canon slr.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Value, great to use, but not perfect, 16 Jun. 2012
G. C. Ferguson (London & Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I initially bought this lens to use with a Canon 600 as a temporary replacement for an older expensive lens that had become unreliable. After a couple of months of use I have decided I will stick with it until I can justify spending many times as much on a real top end lens. Reviews of the the mid-price alternatives still mention the same lack of perfection I have seen with this lens, but they cost three times as much - the Tamron is the best in this budget class. The range is perfect for 'one lens' days - as you are ready for any situation and can capture reasonable results.

Good points are, it is compact, it focusses pretty well in most circumstances, it is fast and quiet to zoom and focus, it is lightweight and while not the most expensive construction I have seen, it seems well enough made. Like all Tamron lenses I have owned it comes with a hood included in the price.

The downside is exactly what you would expect on a lens of this range and price - at either end of range there are the expected issues with Chromatic Aberration and at some focal lengths the focus sharpness is not consistent all the way to the corner when images are blown-up.

My conclusion is that any large range zoom is a compromise and you know that before the purchase. If you need perfect professional results then this is not for you, but for the money I am very pleased with what this lens lets me do and the images captured.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 16 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] Macro Lens for Sony (Accessory)
This lens is pretty good, better than I expected for the money. I used it with a Sony Alpha 350 DSLR and have had almost no issues with it. It's slightly softer than the vintage Minolta lens I bought before it, but then it's far more useful as an everyday lens. I'd read reviews about it and really wasn't sure if I'd be happy with it or not before committing, but I couldn't justify the outlay of going to a newer 18-250 or 270 lens as they're generally twice the price. So far it's exceeded expectations. In daylight this lens gets great results, it focuses really fast and the images are generally very, very good. In lower light and indoors it's still acceptable. It hunts a bit every now and then, but so far I've only not got it to focus once, and that was me trying to lock onto a small object with just a single 25W lamp a good few feet away, so hardly surprising. It got it at the second asking and was perfectly focused. This is the thing that I'm most happy with - although it sometimes takes half a second, it almost always focuses right where I want and the results are sharp. This was the main failing of the Minolta it replaced - it had a habit of focusing just a bit beyond what I was trying to get it on, and it was too sensitive to use in manual focus on anything other than a tripod for still life shots, so it resulted in many missed opportunities. No such issues with the Tamron. If you're a pixel peeper than sure you'll find problems, but if you just want to print up to A4 (14Mp on the A350) then this is great and very handy to have around - I've found it to be just as good as the kit 18-55 sony lens, but obviously with the advantage of the added focal length. It's light too, and although I've read criticisms of it having a plastic body and locking mechanism, it's not really an issue for me as I tend to take care of anything that costs over £150! One final thing - it's loud. When you focus it whirrs and buzzes like no tomorrow, fortunately it's short lived, but I was quite taken aback when I first used it, and now hardly notice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 12 Mar. 2011
This lens has had some very mixed reviews, it's a toss up between this and the similar range Sigma as to which is best. Some reviews favour one, some the other.
I decided on this because I've had Tamron lenses before (many years ago) and always found them to be high quality.
I'm very glad I did buy this one!
The lens is not perfect, but for the price it's damn close.
Wide open it's fairly soft at most magnifications, but close it down a stop or two, and the story is very different. Everything seems to sharpen up a huge amount, it then becomes a very capable lens. The colour saturation is spot on, natural and accurate.
Barrel distortion at the wide end is more than acceptable; pincushion at longer settings is also well controlled. Contrast is strong and edge definition is surprisingly good for a lens of this type. Chromatic aberrations are evident, but only in high contrast detail where most lenses exhibit these. They are no worse than on the 18-55 Canon lens I also use.
The construction may be mainly plastic but it handles and feels like a quality, well made product. The zoom ring operates smoothly and evenly, as does the manual focus ring. The overall build feels solid, well designed and durable.
Having one lens that covers such a large range of focal lengths is remarkably convenient. for trips, holidays etc it's the ideal "walk round lens" Not having to fumble around changing lenses means your less likely to miss that shot when the moment presents itself.
All lenses of this type are a compromise between convenience and quality, but I would rather catch the shot and sacrifice some quality in absolute terms, than miss the shot altogether!
For the cost, just over £150, this thing is a steal.

3.0 out of 5 stars TAM AF18-200, 25 Feb. 2007
Mr. C. Muscat - See all my reviews
This is a very good beginners lens, especially if you are into architecture, still life or portrait photography. It is very wide angled and does only distort the image at the sides slightly, where as some other wide angle lenses distort straight lines more. If you are using it about 70mm then you will notice a large drop in quality and to use it fully out is not really worth it. I have found that this lens peaks at about 35mm, but is still very good all the way from 18mm up to about 70mm and you shouldn't notice much difference in quality using it in this range. I still use this lens now and am very happy with it. I would however advise a faster focusing lens if you are only using it for fast moving objects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] Macro Lens for Nikon, 17 April 2012
I bought this lens on Amazon.co.uk in February 2012, excellent service, arrived a couple of days early in perfect condition. Lens quality considering the range (18 - 200) makes it the perfect lens to keep on the camera full time just changing to a longer lens for distant landscapes or objects. My Nikon is 6 years old now so not the fastest but was still able to get pictures of birds in flight at Exmoor Falconry with good definition on the feathers thanks to an excellent automatic focus. Strongly recommend for the point and shoot amateur (which I am). I looked at the Nikon lens in the range that this Tamron covers but the prices were 3 to 4 times the price of this lens, the difference in cost doesn't seem to be good value for hard earned money.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great lens and is fantastic value for money., 5 Oct. 2014
After getting a good deal on a Nikon D3300 I was looking for a good all around lens. The Nikon Kit 18-55mm kit lens is a fantastic bit of kit, but it doesn't have much reach, so its not great for wildlife or sports photographs, which I like to do a bit of. On my last slr, a Sony a200 I had the kit lens + a 70mm-300mm telephoto lens, which is a common enough setup. While this gives great quality, it does mean you have to carry two lenses, one of them being pretty hefty. You also have swap lenses which equals dust entering the body and the slim possible risk of dropping something. Of course in some respects your buying an SLR for its lens flexibility, but sometimes you just don't want to have to drag around a huge kit bag. This lens is also alot lighter than the old 70-300mm lens I had, and quite a bit smaller.

So this time around I said I would try a super zoom lens. With superzoom you do need to know there is a slight quality trade off compared to a two lens setup, but as a strictly amateur photographer its not a particularly big trade off. The other trade off of course is price, Nikons Own 18-200mm Lens is almost £550, a big investment considering its currently a hundred quid more than a d3300 with kit lens ! So this Tamron is a fantastic deal, and while it doesn't have the faster focusing and image stabilization of the Nikon lens,, the quality is perfectly acceptable. The most noticeable issue is that there is quite a lot of Chromatic fringing at the edge of the lens on any zoom, you wouldn't see it on a standard print size under say A5 , but when your dealing with a monster 24 megapixel image, you easily going to zoom in on your PC and see it.

If your looking for a budget superzoom, that doesn't cost more than the average amateur SLR, this is the guy to get. Be sure to keep your kit lens though, I know for weddings, people shots, darker scenes, or landscapes that its worth having the better optics and image stabilization.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what I need it for, 27 April 2012
As a retired pro photographer of over 40 years, I don't need my Canon pro lenses any more as they are too bulky and heavy now for my needs. This lens is nowhere near as good as the Canon lenses in quality and build. However it is easily good enough for the average amateur. Any shortcomings in picture quality can be sorted in Adobe Lightroom. I'm happy.