4.0 out of 5 stars "Acts of men are better than acts of God"
This second volume contains episodes 6 -10 inclusive.

Published on 8 Nov 2010 by @GeekZilla9000

3.0 out of 5 stars Honestly, we should be getting the whole series as one.
Here we have some of the best episodes of an absolute classic television series, however:

Published 11 months ago by CardiacsFanLMP1

4.0 out of 5 stars "Acts of men are better than acts of God", 8 Nov 2010
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum - Vol. 2 [DVD] (DVD)
This second volume contains episodes 6 -10 inclusive.

I found the first volume to be intriguing but it didn't grab me as much as I expected, the concept was good but the series didn't seem provide enough information about the back-story. When characters appeared they seemed a bit over the top and I cared little about them. However these five episodes introduce only a few extra characters and therefore focus more on those already established - the character development pays off, although they are still fairly unbelievable you can connect with them better than before.

The plot becomes bit more involved too; pretty soon Shinji starts to question what the Eva actually is, in the meantime he receives a history lesson and learns that the accepted 'facts' over the cause of Earth's climate change are nothing more but a collective cover-up by the various governments of the world. With this extra knowledge we can appreciate the Eva project more than we could previously and understand how international politics can interfere with NERV's funding. There's a definite sense of worldwide involvement this time as a third Eva pilot is introduced from America and all three get to meet.

It's clear that the series is a light-hearted one aimed squarely at a teenage male audience, there are plenty of fan-service shots such as flashes of semi nudity and the odd glimpse of underwear, there's also a particularly obvious example where Shinji is embarrassed by two girls bathing while saying very suggestive things! There's never anything overtly rude on show though, it's all handled in a playful way and it's pretty clear that the series is selling itself on the back of it. This is perhaps best demonstrated by the 'in the next episode' announcements when we are proudly told "...and of course there'll be lots of fan service!".

Although the battle to save the world against attacks from the giant 'angels' is a serious one, it's hard to take the mission seriously because the characters never do! Whilst facing death in the face they get distracted by things of minor consequence - but perhaps I think that because I'm now in my 30's (only just though), the inconsequential distractions in this series are the sort of issues which preoccupy teenagers all the time and is one of the reasons why the series has been such a success. The story is good but takes place almost in the background, making way for the student-aged kids of the future to experience the anxieties and awkward moments a teenager of today can identify with.

In a nutshell: If were fifteen then I'd give this 5 stars, but I'm now twice that age and although I can share in the fun of teenage kicks, I'm past the point at which I can really identify with them. It's a nostalgic blast of what it was like to blush when talking to a girl and an adventure which is entertaining enough to keep me watching. Older viewers may appreciate RahXephon which essentially used the same plot but handled similar themes in a more mature way.

3.0 out of 5 stars Honestly, we should be getting the whole series as one., 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum - Vol. 2 [DVD] (DVD)

We should be getting the entire series in one set, not split up over a series of sets which vary in price between the low and reasonable price at which I picked this volume up and some quite frankly ridiculous prices, which is a shame, as NGE is surpassed as a series by very few, perhaps Serial Experiments Lain and Adventure Time, and really should be experienced by everyone as a result, but the poor nature of its release stops this from happening, which is such a shame.

NGE needs a reasonably priced box-set re-release, but since ADV are out of business, who to pick it up? I'd guess Manga, as they have published most of the rest of Evangelion, but who am I to know?

Watch NGE if you get the chance, it's brilliant, just be wary of its potholed release history.

5.0 out of 5 stars the 2nd volume in a very special series, 6 May 2011
This review is from: Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum - Vol. 2 [DVD] (DVD)
great delivery and packaging, beautiful & holy, essential for the neon genesis fan and those newcomers who are finding the series for the first time.

watch it with youre heart open wide, and it will be good ^^xx

Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum - Vol. 2 [DVD]