5.0 out of 5 stars Memories of home and family
The Irish duo of Mick Foster and Tony Allen have had a highly successful career spanning a quarter of a century, many of their albums being filled with covers of popular songs. In recent years, they have released double albums based on particular themes featuring some newly recorded material along with previously released recordings.

This particular release is...
Published on 16 May 2009 by Peter Durward Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Back Home Again
This recording was bought for an elderly lady for Xmas and she was delighted with it. A perfect stocking filler.
Published on 13 Jan. 2013 by bmm9

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories of home and family, 16 May 2009
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Back Home Again (Audio CD)

This particular release is a single CD budget release so I doubt if there is any new material here. I don't have many of their albums, so while I'm familiar with plenty of these songs by other artists, I don't have Foster and Allen's versions of many of these songs elsewhere. Nevertheless, I enjoy the duo's relaxing style so I always enjoy listening to their music. Sometimes they record songs that I'm not familiar with, which adds to the listening pleasure.

The mood of the collection is set by the opening track, Back home again. This John Denver song is one of all-time favorite songs, whoever sings it (though my favorite version is the one by Dottie West). I'll admit that if I come across a version that I haven't heard before, I may be tempted to buy the album. The mere presence of this song usually indicates that the rest of the album will appeal to me, and this one is no exception, especially as it sets the theme of the whole compilation.

Elsewhere on the album there's a cover of Take me home country roads, another John Denver song and a huge American pop hit for him, although it was Olivia Newton-John who made the song into a British top twenty hit. You'll also find covers of other famous songs such as Try to remember, Scarlet ribbons, Green green grass of home and What a wonderful world.

Of the other songs, some are better known than others, but my favorite here is Cottage in the country, a song that I don't remember hearing elsewhere. Another outstanding song is Between the two of them, which I have come across before although I don't think the song is especially well known. It was the outstanding track on Tanya Tucker's otherwise weak album by her standards, Fire to fire. (Most of Tanya's albums are brilliant but everybody is allowed an occasional off-day.) The song also appeared on Alabama's album, American pride. I don't know where Mick and Tony found the song, but I'm glad they did because their version is wonderful.

If you enjoy Foster and Allen's easy listening but country influenced style of music, you will surely enjoy this collection. If you are unfamiliar with their music and are thinking of giving them a try, this is as good a sampler as any, especially if you don't want to hear too many covers of famous songs.

4.0 out of 5 stars memories, 23 April 2009
E. Campbell "em" (yorkshire) - See all my reviews
back home again---foster & allen

i can thoroughly recommend this c-d to anyone who wants to go back in time it brought back many memories some i had completely forgotten about days and nights in my grandmothers house just after the war had ended a great c-d considering the price em leeds

3.0 out of 5 stars Back Home Again, 13 Jan. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars past times, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Back Home Again (Audio CD)
my mother just loves this cd plays it all the time, highly recommended, had to buy another one for my aunt.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful songs, 22 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Back Home Again (Audio CD)
i really love this CD excellent songs and the melodies are great I thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Present, 22 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Back Home Again (Audio CD)
bought as present and was pleased with contents

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 19 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Back Home Again (Audio CD)
My old mum (94) loves Foster and Allen.

5.0 out of 5 stars likes, 12 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Back Home Again (Audio CD)
Mother thinks they r brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Dec. 2014
very enjoyable as always

5.0 out of 5 stars FOSER &ALLEN CD, 28 Dec. 2009
S. Nicolson (stonehaven) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back Home Again (Audio CD)
I HAVE REVIEWED A LOT OF FOSTER AND ALLEN MUSIC AND CAN NEVER FIND A FAULT WITH THEM,

Back Home Again
Back Home Again by Foster & Allen (Audio CD - 2005)