Format: DVD|Change

on 19 November 2006
The sixties and seventies gave us a wealth of highly imaginative programmes for children, the Clangers was no exception. Very entertaining and perfect for children.

I agree with the previous poster. I too am an expatriot living in the US, and I'd rather buy the programmes I grew up with than today's over-moralizing, calculated and PC childrens' shows. Why these are Region 2 is beyond me. (Why we have Regions is beyond me; I thought our corporations are continually pushing for a global marketplace, why the need for walls and moats and other obstacles created by DVD Regions?)
on 7 June 2013
Visited the U.K. as a child at age 6 during a Christmas holiday.
I received a book of Clangers stories as a gift and read it until
the pages finally fell out.

I saw the Clangers DVDs and imported them to Canada for my son.
He is now 7 years old and can't wait to watch the Clangers. He loves the
soup dragon and the iron chicken.

The stories are very non-materialistic, and depict reasonable interactions
between the creatures and those they meet. Some philosophical content
regarding community, communication, and getting along. All done at
a level children can understand and relate to. There is very little that could be
considered violence in any of the episodes. Encourages meta-congnition in children.

Cant' understand how this series never got picked up in North America.
It's still wonderful after all these years. My 7 year old is proof.

Warning the DVDs are not all region, so they won't play on a standard
North American DVD player unless it is capable of all regions. We play ours
on a computer using Ubuntu and 'Movie Player'. I also have 'PowerDVD'
for Linux which I purchased which plays the DVDs nicely on the computer.
Am considering getting a multi-region DVD player to allow the family to
watch these shows on the television.
on 9 February 2009
Children's puppet show without dialogue except swoops on the Swanny Whistle to indicate their conversations with the Soup Dragon.Sheer nostalgia for some adults, perhaps confusion for those who were not brought up watching the adventures of these pink, knitted creatures who live on the Moon...... Just one of several productions from the late Oliver Postgate.
on 13 February 2013
My son (nearly 2 years old) really loved this after watching only one episode. He gets very involved with the stories, which seem to have fired his imagination so that he now wants to know about the planets and space, and was absolutely captivated when he saw the last full moon. The stories can be a little bit too involving for him, as he's rather sensitive and gets upset, e.g., if he sees a Clangers invention falling apart. But I'd much prefer this to his watching the shouty over-speedy animation that dominates children's TV channels now; these episodes are much more comparable to story-telling. We practically ban TV till he is older, but I think the Clangers (and Camberwick Green etc) have been just right for him and really good for his brain.

The music is fabulous too, with one episode showing the Clangers discovering how to make music from notes rather than just eat them, so I would also recommend these episodes to anyone who would like to get their child interested in playing an instrument.
on 30 October 2006
First, let me say that The Clangers is one of the best British children's TV shows ever. However...

As an expatriot Briton living in the US I am constantly baffled by DVD manufacturers' insistence on producing children's titles in region 2 format (so that they can only be viewed on region 2 DVD players). Sadly this is the case with such classic children's TV shows as The Clangers, Mr. Benn, Ivor the Engine and The Wombles, and it makes it hard or virtually impossible to see these TV shows outside Europe. Region 2 format was intended to prevent people from buying videos abroad before their domestic theatre release - this is hardly going to be an issue with children's TV shows - especially ones that have been shown on TV for up to 40 years! Why, why why are these shows issued in region 2 format when it's surely just as easy to release them in open region 0 format so that everyone everywhere can view them???

Bagpuss, Paddington Bear and Trumpton are all issued in region 0 format, so thankfully these are viewable everywhere. Please, video producers, use the format that allows the most people to use the product. This is a no-brainer - you'll sell more DVDs if you open up the formatting so that everyone can enjoy the product, and you lose nothing by doing so.
44 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 February 2012
If you liked the Clangers in the 1970's this DVD is for you! Its beautifully transferred to DVD and was delivered on time. Oliver Postgate provides a poetic narration that brings you the Iron Chicken, the Soup Dragon and the Clangers! Great DVD!
on 4 July 2010
My girlfriend bought this for herself as it was one of her childhood favorites. She watched it and she still loves it.

still it is worth the money if you like this sort of stuff.
on 22 November 2007
Great series, great memories, the perfect way to spend a wet wednesday afternoon....................

(And to our American cousins, an expatriate is one who lives in a foreign land, an expatriot is probably the end result of living in the world according to G Dubya)
on 13 April 2009
In an era where children are bombarded with violent cartoon images, our grandsons found this absolutely marvellous. They were enchanted.
on 7 February 2009
this is great for all of us who don't want to grow up and to share with our kids and grandkids. TIMELESS CLEAN FUN!!!