5.0 out of 5 stars Kirsty's classic album, 28 Aug 2005
Just.John (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Titanic Days [2CD] (Audio CD)
The re-release of Titanic Days in 2005, some 10 years after its original appearance, is an absolute delight. The album originally appeared on IRS in late 1993 in America only. A UK release followed in Spring 2004, but a combination of very poor promotion and the usual stupidity of Radio One programmers drowned the album at birth. It was a criminal loss. This album is an absolute classic. Kirsty later described it as her "sad divorce album". Written with ex Fairground Attraction legend Mark E. Nevin, the album chronicles Kirsty at a low ebb as her marriage to Steve Lillywhite fell apart. But it's not a depressing album. There is anger, frustration (The marvellous opening line - "I want to shake up this world and not to feel so useless"), melancholy, sadness (Soho Square - her best song?), anger (the title track) but also humour ("I want a brief encounter in a stolen car/a hand on my buttock in a Spanish bar). There is an attractive dance sensibility to the penultimate song "Just woke up". This is not the story of someone getting out of bed in the morning. This is the realisation that you are in an impossible situation, which reaches its peak in the extraordinary closing track "Tomorrow never comes". The beginning sounds like a requiem. "Let my tears dry/in the light of a setting sun" sings Kirsty, which more or less describes how she spent some time in subsequent years escaping the British winter by travelling to Cuba. ZTT have more than redeemed themselves with this re-release. The second CD features Kirsty's "Dear John" letter to Steve Lillywhite. At the time it was thought to be too close to the bone and given to Eddi Reader. It was nominated for an Ivor Novello award as the best song musically and lyrically. It should have won. There are also unreleased songs such as "King Kong", and those long impossible to find unless you are in Australia B sides "Touch me" and "Fabulous Garden", which is worth the price of the album if only for the strength of its lyric - "and if I gave you an inch for every time I was hurt/I'd be pushing up daisies six feet under the dirt/and if you gave me a flower for every broken vow/we'd have a fabulous garden by now".
Kirsty wrote so many great pop songs, but this is her most coherent album. Buy the greatest hits, revel in the joy of the "From Croydon to Cuba" anthology, but if you want that rare gem - an album you will listen to and love day in day out for years - you must buy "Titanic Days".

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 18 Dec 2006
J. Alexander "markmaccoll" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Titanic Days [2CD] (Audio CD)
I wish I could describe in words just how beautiful this album is, but I just cannot find the adjectives! Just to know that Kirsty once walked on this planet makes me feel wanted. Kirsty is often compared to other female artists but to me she is up there with the great writers like Willy Russell, John Betjeman, Carol Ann Duffy, Jennifer Donnelly and Philip Larkin. She was a poet who put her words to music and this music is real. Many of the tracks are all by Kirsty but the ones that are not are co-written with the astonishingly talented Mark Nevin who I've had the privelage to recieve two e-mails from. This is a unique, unusual, witty and deeply moving piece of art from one of the greatest person to ever walk the planet.

5.0 out of 5 stars By Far Kirsty's Best Album, 30 Jun 2008
This review is from: Titanic Days [2CD] (Audio CD)
I bought this back when it was released in the mid nighties and am still listening to it today (2008)!!
The quality of the music and lyrics on this album are quite simply breathtaking and never seem to date, all the ingredients of a TRUE classic.
My only regret is that I never made the effort to go see her live back then.

If you only ever buy one Kirsty CD, or in fact if you only ever buy one CD at all by anyone, then make it this one! You will not regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unsinkable, 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: Titanic Days (Audio CD)
Re-released as a perfectly fine 2-CD remaster set in 2005, we now have another re-mastered 2-CD set in 2012. The album remains magnificent and whilst remastered, there is very little to spot different sonically on Titanic Days. The 2nd CD does have an unreleased 45 minute live set from the Fleadh Festival in 1995, the year after Titanic Days' release but strangely absent of any live tracks from Titanic Days. It does have a cover of The Ramones' I Wanna Be Sedated. Not quite the definitive 2-CD release unless you happen to fancy 35 minutes of remixes of Angel (I like the track but 35 minutes worth...) The previous 2-CD set had bonus tracks Fabulous Garden, King Kong, Dear John, Touch Me and Irish Cousin which I'd have welcomed in place of some of the Angel remixes. So of the two 2-CD sets which one would I pick? I think I'd settle for this one as the live set edges it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition of live tracks 1995, 24 Jan 2014
This review is from: Titanic Days (Audio CD)
This re-release of Kirsty's 'Titanic Days' is made all the more special by her mind-blowing live performance on disk 2 at Fleadh 1995. Such a rarity to hear her sing live and relive the memories, I just wish there were live concert shows that had been recorded for DVD release, but of course we all know how infrequent Kirsty's live shows were due to her stage fright. RIP Angel xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Titanic Talent, 7 Aug 2010
This review is from: Titanic Days [2CD] (Audio CD)
Kirsty MacColls talent for a catchy tune and a sharp, cutting lyric does not diminish despite her death being nearly 10 years ago. Titanic Days didn't achieve the success is surely deserved when it was first released (my cassette copy is decidedly dodgy but much loved still!) but that was never Kirsty's fault, just a world obsessed with making a quick buck out of little talent. What Kirsty would make of todays Britain we will sadly never know, but we do know that she would have been a most wise and witty social commentator through her songs and music.

There are many stand out tracks on Titanic Days - it's almost impossible to single out one track for special mention, but "Soho Square" is hearbreakingly sad yet full of hope. It does in 4 and a half minutes what a good book takes 500 pages to do. Lyrically it can make you cry but the music builds gradually and the lyrics cleverly turn till you find yourself smiling through your tears.

The second disc contains some harder to find tracks, each one worthy of a place on the original release, but anyone who remains unmoved by "Dear John" must have a heart of stone. Treat yourself to a standout album by a uniquely British talent and celebrate Kirsty's legacy.

Titanic Days [2CD]
Titanic Days [2CD] by Kirsty MacColl (Audio CD - 2005)