Package Quantity: 1|Style Name: Original Packaging|Change

on 17 October 2006
This is a simple game for young children. There are 4 shopping lists, 4 shopping trolleys and 32 item cards with pictures of foodstuffs and other things that you can buy in the supermarket. Each player takes a shopping list and a trolley, and all the item cards are placed faced down. Players then take turns to pick cards and try to find the ones which match the pictures on their shopping list. The aim is to fill your trolley with the items on your list before anyone else gets all their things.

This is a fun memory game for even the youngest children. My two-and-a-half year old is addicted! She wants 'the shopping game' first thing in the morning and last thing at night. The great thing is that I can sit down with both her and my five year old and we can do something together that they both like. I have also been known to set them up playing with each other and then creep away and do something by myself for 15 minutes...!
0Comment|293 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 May 2008
My children have loved the shopping game ever since they were old enough to understand the concept - about 2.5. There are other games out there that perform a similar function - having to remember where a face-down card is and having to find all the cards on your list - but this is the best version I've found. Shopping is something that all children know about and mine certainly found it fun to play at such a familiar activity. At the end of the game they enjoy taking their "full trolly" to an imaginary check out and paying for their shopping. I would highly recommend this game...
0Comment|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 July 2012
My daughter's not much over 2 but we are already enjoying this game because the theme is something she can strongly relate to, and it is easy to alter the rules to make it playable by children who don't yet have the patience for memory games. At the moment all the shopping tiles are in a little cloth bag (anything non-see-through would do, but I had cloth bags handy) and we take turns to draw a tile, then compare it with both shopping lists to see if either of us wants it, and put it aside if we don't. When she's ready I'll move on to putting it back in the bag if the drawer doesn't want it for herself, and after that try laying them out as in the full game but leaving tiles we don't want face up. Unless of course she makes a big leap forward :)
on 24 April 2008
I use this game a lot in therapy sessions. It's great for learning vocabulary, practicing speech sounds, turn-taking, listening and attention,concentration, etc. etc. Best of all, the children really enjoy playing it and it shows that 'low-tech' games are still very popular.
on 18 September 2011
A nice simple game to play with your little ones, that's not too bad for you. The basic idea is a memory game, as you take it in turns to try & find your shopping & the level of complexity increases with the number of players, (remembering where your item was when another player turned it over 2 turns before). I much prefer it to the catching butterflies/hungry hippos of this world. Fun, straight-forward concept, perfect for introducing the idea of board games, turn taking etc. We own loads of orchard games & most are very good, this is probably one of my favourites & the kids rather like it too! Only issue I have with it is, is that if you loose one of the tiles (and they aren't very big) it does rather ruin the game, (although I can't remember if it did come with some blanks when it first arrived). All in all, a good game for young kids. If you have more than 1 child this would be fine for you to play 'on team' with a child from about 2 1/2y, with help for a 3y old and independently (without adults,) from about 5y. Oh, and one final point, it's a simple game to manipulate so that your child doesn't suspect you let them win, (should that be necessary) although, as it is a visual memory game, (with a bit of luck thrown in,) that might not be as important as you may think; I know a 4y old who regularly beat her 7y old brother without any such 'assistance!'
on 8 October 2015
The game is aimed at children aged 3-7, however, we have always found that our children have been able to play much younger than this. You can have between 2 and 4 players playing at once.

The rules are incredibly easy to understand. Each player chooses a shopping list and a trolley or basket. The items are placed upside down in the middle of the playing surface and players take it in turns to turn over an item. If the item is on their shopping list they place it in their basket/trolley and play passes on to the next player. If they don’t have the item on their list play passes on to the next player. The game continues until one player has found all of the items on their list.

We have found Shopping List to be a really good first game for our children. The rules are simple to understand and it has helped them with learning about turn taking and improved their memory skills. My son, at 7, still enjoys playing this game.

As with all of the Orchard Toys games, the quality of the playing pieces is excellent and it is fantastic value for money.

We would highly recommend Shopping List to everyone!
review image review image review image review image review image
on 4 April 2013
I really enjoyed playing this with my son. I bought this as I wanted to have some board learning games to play with him. You get a of little cut out cards (which are thick and robust) of different shopping items (quite a lot of them) and you get 4 trolleys and 4 shopping lists (which are all card too). On the box is states that you need at least 2 players and you race to see who can get all their shopping list into their trolley the fastest but you don't even need to do this, my son was happy enough to fill each trolley by himself using the different shopping lists and me helping him along. It's good for teaching them about all different shopping items you can purchase and also how to spell and read the word. It also is good for your memory as you are looking at the list then searching for the item. I would definately recommend this game, it's a lot of fun!
on 8 February 2008
My daughter is just about to turn three and this is her favourite game at the moment. The game needs 2-4 players and the aim is to collect the items on your shopping list by remembering/guessing where each item is from those turned over on the floor.

As well as being used for the game, the pieces and cardboard shopping trolley also get used for playing 'shops' with.
on 3 January 2010
This is a fab family game which we can all play (from aged 2 onwards). This was a gift for our 6 year old, who loves it, however, it is just about easy enough for our 27 month old to play. Great fun.
on 25 October 2013
I bought this game and the 2 booster packs: fruit&veg and clothes. The items are sturdy, nothing to say about that but as I bought the game after reading tens of excellent ratings (and also because it won a prize as best toy....) I would have expected maybe something more "useful"... I am not a native English speaker and I'm teaching English as 2nd language to my child - 3 & 1/2 years old - since she was a toddler and when I played the game with her I found out that she knew almost 80% of the names of fruits, veg. and the other items already... also the rules of this game make it let's say... a little "too" easy... not leaving much space for "inventing" alternatives... She likes playing with the trolleys as if they were real ones and makes them roll on their wheels as we play and this is no doubt nice but I was looking for something helping me communicate with her increasing her understanding and spoken skills in English but I think this game does not help much certainly not to increase creativity.... I will be looking for something different. S.V. Italy