5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for the young
Published on 11 Aug. 2005 by Brian J. Poulton

1.0 out of 5 stars Never Again
Fantastic little item, when it works. Mine has been back to Apple twice in 3 months. They tried to blame Windows SP2 and my apparent inadequate IT skills. I teach ICT and it worked initially with SP2 installed. When it works I love it, but it does make for a rather expensive paper weight when it doesn’t.
Published on 7 Nov. 2005 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for the young, 11 Aug. 2005
Brian J. Poulton "madmotorist" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPod 20GB [MA079B/A] (Electronics)
As a 60 year old music lover I was most impressed when I saw my 11 year old grand-daughter's Mini iPod. I have a few more CD's than her as I've been collecting for years before she was born so I calculated that the iPod 20gb was the one for me. It has exceeded my expectations. Without referring to the manual on the CD, I spent a weekend transferring 200 CD's to the iPod and now carry my music collection of over 3000 tracks around in my pocket. I buy music through the music store which comes as part of the iTunes software, 79p for a single, £7.90 for an album. The iPod is very well constructed, it is difficult to believe that it has a hard drive inside. I use the iPod in bed and the mechanism is totally silent. I used to use a CD player which was relatively noisy and annoyed my wife so she is also an iPod fan. The iTunes software is brilliant. The iPod synchronises with the music library on the PC every time I plug it in. To add a CD I just slip it into the drive and iTunes does the rest. It converts the CD to mp3 and adds it to the library. Each CD takes around 4 minutes to convert. There are lots of options for quality and format. My son connected the iPod up to his car hi-fi and immediately went out and bought one. It has a non-removeable rechargeable battery which I have used for over 11 hours non-stop without charging. It was still playing when I recharged it. You recharge it by connecting to your PC's USB 2.0 socket or by using the supplied mains charger.
Playing options include random playing of the library, custom playlists and playing selected albums or tracks.
The photo facility is useful when visiting friends and family as the photos can be displayed on a TV using an optional cable. This is the only accessory I have bought at the moment.
The only potential drawback that I can see is that unlike my CD player, I can't just swap batteries if they run down during the day when I am not at home. A car charger is next on my list of purchases.
Summarising - an amazing piece of technology - Apple have got it spot on.

5.0 out of 5 stars This or an IPod Mini, 1 Aug. 2005
Dim Tim (Wolverhampton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPod 20GB [MA079B/A] (Electronics)
I know a few people who are debating whether to buy the Ipod mini or spend a bit more on this. Here's my opinion. I bought an Ipod mini just after Christmas but it broke (the wheel stopped functioning). Because it was an old style one (8 hour battery) that Amazon no longer had in stock, Amazon said they would give me a refund. I would like to thank Amazon for the quick, hassle free way they refunded my money. By the time my refund came through these had been released so I decided to buy one of these instead. Why? Well it is only about £30 more than the mini but it includes an AC adaptor. The mini doesn't and it could cost you this much to buy one. I know you can recharge the mini from a PC but you are not always near one when you have to. It is slightly bigger and heavier than the mini but in the end I decided this didn't make much difference to me. The colour screen is great and much easier to read than the mini's and the extra capacity means I don't have to worry about being selective about the songs I put on it. The mini is a bit cooler but this, in my opinion, is more practical. The new minis have a slightly longer battery life but the 15 hours you get with this is fine for day to day use. Also, this one feels sturdier than the mini. In summary, buy the mini if you want somewthing that's a bit cool but buy this if you want something more practical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Girly girls review of an Ipod colour 20gb, 6 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Apple iPod 20GB [MA079B/A] (Electronics)
Ok, i recently upgraded from a tiny 256kb mps player to an ipod. I used the net to get the pros and cons for every mp3 player out there and finally settled on the colour ipod 20gb.
First off the presentation is excellent. You open up the box and the first thing that struck me was the quality feel of the device. It is a little heavier than I am used to but it is flawless in finish and really does look and feel amazing.
You get everything you need to get started. Slip the disc into your machine and to be honest it all is self explanatory. The only thing i got confused with was i clicked 'no' when it came up 'format' and I was meant to click yes. It took a while to work out how to get that option back again but i did and by clicking yes it does it all for you.
Itunes is great for cd's. You slip the cd in, select the tracks you want and hit 'convert to aac' and within a minute, sometimes less, your music is uploaded to itunes. I uploaded a day and a halfs worth of songs then transferred them to the device....it took about a minute..seriously fast!
All in all i have found no problems. The device and software are all idiot proof. The sound quality is amazing. The menu system is simple and clear, the click wheel is pure genius. The charger and usb cable all work and fit well. The fact the album cover comes up on screen when your songs are playing is a magic little touch.
From a girls point of view, it is easy to use, extremely good looking little thing and just heavy enough for you to be aware you have it on your person and not lose it!
I do reccommend an i-skin as all the reviews i read said the i-pod scratches easily.
All in all, though i hate being a sheep and going for the same as everyone else in the world, i would advise anyone looking for a new mp3 player to consider this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy, 3 Oct. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Apple iPod 20GB [MA079B/A] (Electronics)
I thought I'd add my own review to this product, as when I was considering whether to buy it or not, none of the reviews I looked at dealt with my biggest concern- how easy is it to download your existing CD collection? Well the answer is: couldn't be easier. You literally stick in the CD they give you to download iTunes, when that's done (easy as pie by the way), stick your CDs in, and if you're connected to the internet iTunes recognises the CD and uploads all the information (album title, artist, etc) making it incredibly easy, i.e. meaning you don't have to go typing all that info in yourself. Don't be afraid!! Go and get one!!

4.0 out of 5 stars great for all your music, 28 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Apple iPod 20GB [MA079B/A] (Electronics)
i got my ipod 20gb about 2 months ago, and was really impressed with the packaging, but when i tried loading the software that comes with the ipod found it wouldnt load due to not having windows xp, which costs alot to buy. but having got xp sorted, i was really happy with everything it did, the colour screen is great quality and the pictures look as good as they do on your computer screen, also if you download your music from itunes you get a picture of the album cover the song is on. the music sounds great on it, and you can also change the eq settings to suit your preference. But, one thing i'l say is that the screen, and the infact the rest of the ipod scratches REALLY easily, only after having and using it the screen was scratched and the chrome backing had all scuff marks on it, so if you buy one invest in a case for it.the ones i bought were the pack of three silicone cases which comes with three screen protecters, they dont look great but the do the job of protecting your ipod.because of that i have only given it 4 stars, but other than that i think the 20gb photo is definitly worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Come On! Join the Music Revolution, 4 July 2005
This review is from: Apple iPod 20GB [MA079B/A] (Electronics)
The latest iPod from Apple, this edition of the worlds best selling and most famous mp3 player has alot to live up to. I recently got my shiny new iPod in the post, direct from Apple, and I can honestly say that this is everything you think it will be and much more! Firstly, I was totally amazed by the size of it. I knew they were small, but I had no idea just how tiny the iPod really is. It's amazing when you consider that inside it is a hard disc that gives you a big capacity of 20GB! You simply wouldn't know to look at it, and any photograph you may have seen doesn't do it justice - this is absoloutley tiny!
New to this edition of the iPod is a full colour screen. This is an amazing step foward from Apple and it adds alot to your experience. More so than the old monochrome display, the image is crisp and perfectly clear. You're even able to view the various album artworks of the songs you upload on to it - very cool. And the best part of being in full colour is the ability to store and view all your digital photographs! There were some teething problems with this function on last years "iPod Photo", but I'm happy to say that running on Windows XP and WITHOUT any kind of photograph software I uploaded all my photo's in less than 5 minutes without ANY problems at all! Flawless. And of course the new iPod has the now classic Apple-designed "Click Wheel" which allows you to scroll through thousands of songs, artists and playlists quickly and easily. It's a very inspired design and works so quickly and so easily. Come to think of it, every aspect of the iPod is this way. From the moment you set up the hassle-free drivers supplied (takes less than a minute) you plug it in and you're ready to rock and roll! iPod will automatically update itself and transfer all of your songs onto itself so you're ready to enjoy your music on the go right away.
This is the best iPod released yet. It's at a fantastic price point for the HUGE 20gb Disc Space and it now even comes with a full colour screen. There are a wealth of other great features (Calendar, Games, Photo Display) and you still get the slick and stylish design the world has come to expect from Apple and iPod. If you're thinking of getting an iPod this is the one to go for. I was originally going to get an iPod Mini, but this is just £30 more and it's so worth it. Even if you weren't thinking of getting an iPod but want a top quality mp3 player, I really would suggest you go with Apple! And if you use iTunes, this is of course the obvious choice for a player. This is a brilliant and oh-so stylish player at an incredible price. Join the music revolution today, you're gonna love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars iPod just great, 25 July 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Apple iPod 20GB [MA079B/A] (Electronics)
Those who knock them have you tried it? Yes there are other players out there, and I am not about to knock them. This product looks good and performs great, with the i tunes software backing you up, the ease of use is superb. Took me 5 mins to work out how to upload the album art, but now that is done also. Had 260 tunes on the pod within 20 mins(took a little time to convert some of my albums from WMA files).

4.0 out of 5 stars iPodible, 25 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Apple iPod 20GB [MA079B/A] (Electronics)
At first, I wasn't sure what to buy in the MP3 player range. Comparing the prices/quality criterias, I've opted for this iPod 20GB, and I'm glad I did.
Although it is pricey, Amazon did get the best offer on this particular product, which was £209 everywhere else on the market. So thank you Amazon for proposing this offer, including free delivery.
On to the product itself...
ADVANTAGES:
- STYLE/PRESENTATION. The packaging and the iPod itself look & feel awsome. It can be considered as a fashion accessory, when cliped on a belt or simply held by hand. It's light and stylish. I actually prefer the fact that it is slightly bulkier than the Mini, because I'd be less likely to forget it in a trouser's pocket/sit on it/drop it from my pocket when bending over.
- EASY TO USE/FAST. Both the software and product are very simple to use. The songs can be uploaded from CD's or by buying individual songs in the iTunes library (at a cheaper price than a CD single: £0.79) including the artwork. You also have the possibility to create several playlists, or browse by album/song/artist/genre.
- PERFORMANCE. The iPod can store more songs + photos than the iPod Mini for example. The sound & picture quality is just amazing, and it's ideal to use anywhere.
DRAWBACKS:
- LOW BATTERY LIFE. It does tend to run out of battery fairly quickly (5 - 10 hours) and it takes about 3 hours to recharge it.
- PRICE OF ACCESSORIES. To protect the iPod from scratches, it is most useful to get a protective casing, but they're not cheap: at least £20 each. Same thing for the remote, which is handy when you'd like to carry your iPod inside your bag.
Overall, I am extremely satisfied with my purchase. It is a beautiful piece of technology. It's easy to use, trendy and reliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5,000 Songs Or 8.000 photos, 14 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Apple iPod 20GB [MA079B/A] (Electronics)
The ipod 20 gigabyte has a clear colour screen that shows the cover art of the song you are playing and also alows you to play back your photos to your music in a slideshow The ipods mega capacity allows you to store 5,000 of your favourite tunes. The ipod has around 25 minutes skip protection so ideal for when your doing a bit of excercise, it has a battery life of 12 hours and a 1 hour charge will give you 80% of the battery capacity. In the box you will get a mains charger, earbud headphones, a usb 2.0 cable and of course itunes software to allow you to transfer your music to your ipod. The ipod is pc and mac compatible. One little gem of the ipod is that you can use it to store your photos instead of using many memory cards simply buy the ipod photo adaptor and connect camera up to ipod while on holiday and there you go the ipod will store your photos untill you get home. The ipod can also be used as a portable hard drive simply put it into disk mode and drag your files to it. The Apple ipod is ideal for all your portable music needs and with photo playback too the ipod thrashes its rivals again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic New Ipod 20gb Colour, 11 July 2005
This review is from: Apple iPod 20GB [MA079B/A] (Electronics)
I recieved this item directly from apple on thursday. As soon as i opened the box i knew it was something special. I was amazed at the size as i have had a mini and this isnt much bigger. I turned it on and the new colour screen is amazing, showing crisp and vibrant colours. I charged it for a couple of hours and then installed the itunes software which was very easy. I started transferring music immediatly and it was so fast and arranged all my tracks in order for me. Every time i add new tracks all i have to do is plug my ipod in and it puts them on. I also put many pictures on the ipod and must say they look fantastic. The menu is very easy to use and you can scroll with ease through songs and pictures. I cant reccomend this new ipod enough. If your thinking about buying an ipod but are unsure or have heard bad things then just go ahead and buy one, you cant go wrong. Hope this helps anyone out who was unsure.

Apple iPod 20GB [MA079B/A]