Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 September 2005
Striking through it's seemingly total absence of percussion throughout, rough music is a masterpiece in modern English Folk.
It seems Eliza and her fellow musicians 'the ratcatchers' are returning to a more traditional sound with this latest album, certainly when compared to the critically acclaimed if slightly more commercial preceding album, 'Anglicana'.
This said, it is as with all of Eliza Carthy's previous albums, hugely accessable for a wider (and dare I say it, younger?!)audience who are unaccustomed to English Folk music.
I love it. I'm sure you will to!
on 16 June 2005
Once again Eliza brilliantly interprets traditional British folk music infusing it with her own particular magic. Every track is a gem. She is a real breath of fresh air in an industry that is stale with shallow 2 dimensional offerings from semi talented individuals. Eliza plays fiddle as well as singing and is ably backed by the rat catchers who provide a rich tapestry against which her music can be displayed. Buy it for a real alternative - you won't regret it.
on 7 February 2007
Could this girl fail in folk music given her Parents? Well she could have if she just became a clone of them instead she chose to take a different route and to freshen up folk music with a more contemporary feel. This is one of my favourite folk music albums and a welcome break from manufactured musicians all too prevalent nowadays.

This is a very enjoyable album of mainly traditional folk tunes and well worth adding to any collection.
on 21 May 2005
I anticipated this album with the kind of glee small children experience on a trip to the sweet shop. I went through the whole shebang: the sweaty palms, the butterflies in my tummy, and even the more-than-slightly-geeky crazed feeling of anxiety that something might go horribly wrong and I would never ever get to listen to it...
As it was, all was well. More than well, in fact, as the object of my somewhat irrational desire entirely lives up to my expectations. This album is genuinely great. Each track clearly exhibits the passion and vitality for traditional music with which the names Eliza Carthy, John Spiers and Jon Boden have become synonymous, and the energy generated by all the performers is fantastic.
Whenever I listen to this album I have an uncontrollable urge to sing very loudly and/or dance around my room with a large grin on my face... go on, buy it! Spread the joy!
on 7 April 2005
I saw Eliza perform the cream of this album live a few weeks ago, and the album is a good souvenir of a great night. She continues to fuse a real love and feeling for traditional music with modern interpretation, great young contemporary musicians and her own undoubted musicianship.
Eliza works well with "The Ratcatchers" (are Boden and Spiers trying to set a record for concurrent collaborations??) and the continue to thrill with the sheer passion, exuberance and skill of their interpretations of great English music.
All Mike Harding listeners will all be familiar with "The Gallant Hussar" before the first month is out, but the whole album deserves close listening. Buy and enjoy.
On a personal front can we stop referring to Eliza as the child of her parents? I love the music of both - Martin Carthy was the first album I bought, but surely she has done enough to be judged by her own standards now!! Go Eliza!
on 25 July 2005
I bought this album having only previously listened to 'Red Rice'. Apart from the one, cringe inducing all vocal track, which has me sprinting across the room for the skip button, this album is absolutely brilliant. Some of the tracks are so beautiful (whilst not wanting to appear too melodramatic) that they almost bring a tear to my jaded and world weary eyes!

I'm now keen to explore more modern folk music when funds allow, and have bought Angelica, but have not really given it as much attention as Rough Music has had so far.

[...]
on 13 October 2008
An outstanding CD from a group of extremely talented musicians.

As the title may suggest, they are not afraid of rough edges - letting the music speak for itself. The result is brimful with vitality, the songs having had none of the soul 'polished' out of them.

Personalluy, I enjoy the a capella singing, but that may be a matter of taste. A special mention must go to 'Turpin Hero' - until recently I had only heard this beautiful song done by Shirley Collins - in the space of the past year I have come across performances both on this CD and an earlier version by Ewan MacColl. All are very satisfying , in their different ways.
on 20 May 2008
Some very good fiddling and box-playing here and some great singing by Herself. But unlike the brilliant Anglicana, which seems now a deeper and darker record, this one was more of a CD made for a tour and a season of festival gigs, with the arrangements busy with all the band wanting to be in there, playing and singing away. Too often, the result's a bit of a mess, over-dense. As sometimes happens, when everyone's over-playing, there's a loss of energy (and also of feeling). The busy-ness works well on some of the tunes, and best on a really terrific version of the old drinking song, Tom Brown.
on 25 July 2005
The album is absolutely brilliant. Its the best one she has done so far, and probably the best folk album I have ever heard. The music, the singing, the songs, all are superb. The only problem is I can't get it back off my daughter!