5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent portable radio!
I've had this radio for a little over half a year now and it should be mentioned at the outset that absolutely nothing has broken on it, despite taking it on 2 Gold D of E expeditions! So, here’s what I think;
The Good...
Published on 19 Nov 2005 by David Burgess

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if you can hear it
Nice and compact personal radio that looks like an mp3 player. Very easy to use but major problem was the poor reception. Everywhere I went around the house my reception was very poor. I've never had this problem with other stand alone radios. Even main FM stations were crackly and very difficult to listen to. Have sent it back.
Published on 7 April 2006

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent portable radio!, 19 Nov 2005
The Good...
-Its small size and weight (the smallest I could find for AM/FM digital tuning) along with the clip on the back makes it an excellent radio for cycling/ running etc as well as just walking around.
-The digital tuner with presets is worth the extra money over a radio with an analogue tuner being quick and easy to change station. It is easy to preset a station as long as you know its frequency in the first place as the radio won't tune automatically.
-Battery life. I have used this radio a lot (through headphones and powered speakers) and changed the AAA battery only once. The battery life indicator will warn you in plenty of time so that you don't run out of battery life in the middle of a football match!
-Reception. FM reception is good - my powered speakers cause a lot of background noise unless the radio is placed as far away as possible. AM reception depends on the orientation of the radio of course but it is usually possible to position the radio while cycling and running to get reasonable reception. In the hills on a gold D of E training expedition FM radio was non existent so it was nice to be able to listen to MW radio – and the Man U vs Newcastle match!
The Limitations - considerations for getting a different radio...
-This radio does not have LW capability. If you are wanting to listen to this (cricket comes to mind on these frequency’s), you may consider getting a larger radio with long wave capability I would recommend considering the Roberts R9988 radio for LW (its about the same price and is a very good radio) – my Dad uses it.
-The cost. I bought this radio as soon as it came out for £80 and for me it was worth this as I use it a lot. If you do not want to listen on AM frequencies (I listen to football and F1 on this mostly – radio 5) then it will be far cheaper to get an FM radio. Otherwise at £50 I think this radio is worth the money!
Oh yeh... i think it looks cool too!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if you can hear it, 7 April 2006
By A Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars COOL but fiddly CONTROLS, 26 Feb 2006
This review is from: Sony SRF-M97 Radio Walkman (Electronics)
A quality product as you'd expect from Sony. However, if you've big hands you might well find the controls fiddly, and consider investing in decent headphones (I'd recommend the Sennheiser PX100 if you don't like in-the-ear-style).

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony SRF-M97 Radio Walkman, 2 Dec 2006
David Rose (u.k) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony SRF-M97 Radio Walkman (Electronics)
Lovely quality ,very compact and reasonably easy to programme in fixed

channels.

Reception as good as expected,even 5 live is better than previous radios I've owned.

Earphones are average but good enough.

Good value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 28 Dec 2005
This review is from: Sony SRF-M97 Radio Walkman (Electronics)
Great little radio here from sony. The station presets (15 FM and 5 AM) have been a huge help because you don't have to tune all the time like I had to with my old radio!
Only two (little) jibes at this.
1. The headphone earbuds that come with it are rubbish so invest in a decent pair.
2. If you do use you own earphones with a jack plug that is at 90 degrees to the wire then the volume dial isn't easily accessable which means twisting the headphone connection. This may result in loose conections. This is only speculation but I have had no problems.
All in all a great little portable radio, great sound quality on both bands. :-)

2.0 out of 5 stars Fine sound, if it's receiving well, 1 Mar 2008
M. A. Harwood "Dr. Jug" (Isle of Arran) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony SRF-M97 Radio Walkman (Electronics)
If you live in an area where FM & MW signals are medium or strong, this is an excellent radio. The sound is rich & clear, the presets are easily adequate, there are no fiddly extra features that you don't need, and it's a pleasure to use.
I live in an area where the signals are weak, and it's poor here. A little Sony ICF-S10MK2 can grab the waves, having a proper antenna, but the 'phones on this model, good as they sound, don't work too well as an antenna. I tried other 'phones, to no avail.
So it's brilliant, or no good, depending on where you'll use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A constant companion, 19 Jan 2009
This review is from: Sony SRF-M97 Radio Walkman (Electronics)
I listen to the radio a lot and in many locations. DAB signal is still a bit rubbish here so this little friend is the next best thing in my experience. I like the pocket size, good reception (even in a basement office)the pre sets and the choice to set auto off so it switches itself off when I am listening to "Up All Night" on R5 live and drift off to sleep. I have had this one for two years now and used it every day. If anything ever happens to it I'll be ordering another one immediately.

3.0 out of 5 stars Annoyances - not as good as I'd expected from Sony, 23 May 2006
Nick SC (South-east England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony SRF-M97 Radio Walkman (Electronics)
Like one of the other reviewers I found that reception round the house was not good, particularly where I listen most. I also find it annoying that there's a beep every time you adjust the tuning. Unlike analogue tuning where you make tiny adjustments until you find just the right point, the beeping on the SRF-M97 makes tuning adjustment annoying and difficult to get just right. Battery life is good (I'm using rechargeable Ni-MH batteries). If you want to avoid having to reset all the presets (not a quick job) you need to have another battery handy because you've only got 90 seconds to put a new battery in before it forgets the presets. I'll be buying a new radio, mainly because of the reception problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony small portable FM Radio, 19 July 2010
This review is from: Sony SRF-M97 Radio Walkman (Electronics)
Used for Gym sessions together with the fantastic Sennheiser Sports Earphones, this is a great little radio and my wife and I both have one. Not cheap but excellent! You can lock the buttons so they don't change stations during exercise.

4.0 out of 5 stars High quality pocketable radio, 13 Jan 2012
This review is from: Sony SRF-M97 Radio Walkman (Electronics)
Sony SRF-M97 Radio Walkman The best replacement for my previous (failed) old but excellent performance mini Sony radio. Regrettably this one is much more difficult to use because of the multi-function controls required by its small size. It's essential not to loose the operating instructions leaflet! Audio performance is excellent for classical music and speech with headphones that have much better audio quality than those supplied with the radio. I mainly listen to Radio 3 which requires a stronger signal than many other channels but I feel that it may loose signal more frequently than the old radio. I'll remain happy with this product if I can find the instructions so that I can find out hopw to retune into Radio 4!

I don't understand why others have been so critical of this product. Maybe they live in poor reception areas for their favoured channel or they expect too much from such a small product with performance constraints not applicable to an MP3 player.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›