TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 August 2009
I have owned and used this microphone for well over a year now in various situations - for a church wedding, whilst travelling in New Zealand and recording home footage of groups, baby shots etc. In all situations, it has performed well. Sound quality is very good indeed. I recorded a clip of champagne being poured into a glass for a wedding, and the noise when listened to through headphones was exceptionally clear and full without an excess of background hiss. Battery life is very long indeed. My reservations are only these - whilst you exclude any mechanical noise from the camcorder, and to some degree wind noise by the addition of the mic cover, it is possible to pick up vibration knocking noise as you move about recording, if you are not careful to hold it with care. The suspension rubbers are also quite fragile, and can break if you are not careful. 4 replacements are supplied. I have so far needed to use only one, though I have has 3 breakages - with a careful hand, pair of tweezers and a tube of superglue, I was able to stick the others back together. Beware that this mic is only mono, so you will have the same audio track in both channels. However, a lot of stereo mics have barely any separation anyway, so is this really a major drawback? For me, no. If you are looking for a mid-range mic, this model is definitely worth the money. It's relatively small, light, robust and compact, and the sound quality is generally excellent. Would I buy it again? Yes.

As an update, I have since found that it is possible to use plain rubber O-rings as replacements for the original suspension rubbers. The ones I use are 1.6mm cross section and 9.1mm internal diameter. They can be bought far more cheaply than the proprietary items - 50 for less than a tenner.

I would also strongly recommend the purchase of the optional 'dead cat' mic cover for use outdoors to eliminate wind noise in anything more than a mild (5mph) breeze, which is all the supplied foam cover can filter out.
22 comments|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 December 2008
Yes a very good product, I've had this for some years now and had no problems with it. I would say though it is a very sensitive microphone and if you not careful you will get interference from the camera itself.
I would recommend to anyone after good and clear sound.
Thanks
Ian
on 4 November 2009
Nice product, very rapid delivery.
I use this Rode mike on a Canon HV20 whenever the situation needs better sound control.
Often I can film without this external mike, and then enjoy the small size and mobility of the bare HV20. However, the internal mike cannot cope if the wind is blowing. Also the internal mike points skywards and picks up planes that my ears do not notice. Also the Canon's internal mike seems to distort base sounds.
In any of these cases I screw the Rode mike onto the HV20, and plug little earphones into my ears to monitor the sound. It makes the HV20 more cumbersome to handle but this inconvenience is nothing compared with the better control over sound recording.
on 6 January 2009
This is an excellent mic for the money very good polished sound and you even get 10 years waranty when you register online.I have 2 Pannasonic mini dv 3ccd camcorders and this mic fits nicely.
If you want good sound don't buy cheap rubbish buy Rode.
on 11 September 2009
I bought this mic after reading several reviews on the internet.
Basically I need to video the speeches at a wedding reception and I know the venue is large with quite a bit of reverberation due to the size and height of the ceiling. I know the built in mic which is fine for ordinary use would struggle to record the voices properly so I needed a directional mic.
I have done some tests at the venue with the Rode Videomic and there is a noticeable improvement over the built in mic.
This mic is a good compromise for recording voice overs on video without going to the greater expense of a clip on radio mic. Rode VideoMic camcorder microphone
on 13 December 2010
Does what it says on the tin.

You can't expect the best mic in the world for this money, but it comes damn close for me and my crew! I love this mic, plug and go.

I have used it a few times and the ambient noise/camera noise is far less hissy and distracting. Its by no means brilliant as the suspension thingys are fiddly and difficult to replace, but hey, you get what you pay for.

Its easy to use and sound quality is great!..

PROS:
Cheap
Easy
Great Sound

CONS:
Fragile suspension thingys
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 June 2009
I wanted better quality sound for my Sony HandyCam HDR-XR520VE and an external mic is the way to achieve this. There's limited options to adjust volume gain on my camcorder and I was concerned if the mic would work ok with it - it works perfectly though not tested it at demanding locations like live concerts yet. You can adjust the mic to make it less sensitive if its too loud for your camcorder. So far I've used mine with the camcorder on low record volume and the mic on maximum sensitivity setting.

I have the Rode Videomic and the Sennheiser MKE 400 and have done some very careful comparisons. Without any doubt the Rode Videomic has a better response range - especially at the lower end. Sound is much fuller with the Rode than with the Sennheiser - very noticeably so - a much richer sound. If you look at the specs - especially the frequency response chart - you'll notice the Rode is head and shoulders above the Sennheiser.

However the Sennheiser is a definite improvement over the built in camcorder mic.

So given the Rode is better soundwise it should be a no brainer choosing that over the Sennheiser? Well the problem is the Rode is massive compared to my camcorder - whereas the Sennheiser is much, much smaller and more portable and looks less silly on top of the camcorder. Also makes it easier to carry around and less bulky when using the camcorder.

So bit of a dilemma - sound quality vs convenience of small size!

The other minor issue is with the Rode adjusting sound sensitivity involves removing the battery and fiddling with the miniscule switches inside the battery compartment using the end of pen. Its not something you'd want to do in the middle of recording a live concert that's for sure! With the Sennheiser it's a simple switch on the outside and easy to access. However the Videomic has 3 sensitivity levels - the Sennheiser has just the one.
44 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 May 2011
absolutely great for price, good sound quality and well made the anti vibration bungees i have no problem with only breaking 1 in the life i had it, the first video mic i broke after leaving it on a table with the port hole open there for a wave crashed threw soaking it in sea water and then it gave up the ghost, thats not to say its delicate for 15 months it lived in Antarctica subjecting it to extreme cold -50 and fierce winds and rough handling by me it lived a hard life and seemed not to faze it, i would recommend it to any one in the prosumer market it sounds good to my ears hence i bought another one...
on 19 October 2008
This is an excellent product, does exactly what is says on the box!
I bought it to go on top of a Canon HV-30 camcorder and the results are really good.
I'd certainly recommend it.
on 2 August 2012
The Rode Video Mic is a great microphone for any camera, however on Canon DLSRs it can be tricky to gain good audio without the dreaded hiss in the background.

I spent a lot of time doing the AGC hack instead of using the manuel audio levels on the Canon 600D as that still makes the hiss. if you want to use this microphone on a Canon DLSR, make sure you look up on google or youtube about the AGC (auto gain control) hack as this will get the best audio for your Canon DSLR without the use of a seprate recording device like a ZOOM H1.

Basically the AGC hack works like this... you spilt the stereo sound using a simple cable and then effectively you have two separate mono channels, no need to worry the rode video mic is mono on two channels anyway, so on one channel you play a 19khz tone from a ipod shuffle, and in the other you put you microphone in. adjust the level fo the tone on the ipod to change the level fo the mic and there you have it, no hiss :) i recommend looking online for a better explanation as that was only brief

I fully reccomend getting this pmicrophone for any camcorder/DLSR as it will be a lot better than any on board micrphones. again if your getting this micrphone for a Canon DLSR make sure you research about the AGC (auto gain control) hack or else you will be disappointed in the quality as the Canon DLSRs do not have good audio recording.