on 5 September 2009
I have used pressure cookers for over 40 years. I have had various makes and various types of Prestige Pressure cookers. but I think the Prestige 6 ltr Hi Dome is the best of all. It is so versatile It can be used for batch cooking and for families. It can also be used for small amounts. It is easy to use and easy to clean.
on 21 February 2009
This is my second pressure cooker in thirty five years. Quality item. Only reason I had to buy a new one is because my daughter borrowed my one and I haven't seen it since. Great buy.
on 31 October 2013
This is not my first pressure cooker, however, it has many benefits compared to some others you can buy:

1. It is a lot lighter than stainless steel - this is quite significant, though of course if it is filled up to its limit the difference is obviously not as great.
2. Most pressure cooker recipe books assume a high pressure of 15 psi, a lot of the domestic cookers available that I have come across these days, only achieve 12 psi, needing about 20% additional cooking time.
3. Pressure is achieved by the old fashioned weight system, you do not have to keep an eye on coloured bands, it is either up to pressure or it isn't - simple.
4. It comes with a simple bent wire trivet - not as good as my granny used to have but it does the job and the perforated steamer with dividers is actually quite good.
5. The instruction book is also quite good and includes hints, useful info and some recipes that is enough to get you going and allow you to convert your favourite stews etc., to pressure cooking - it does far more than stews, but I found that they are good to start with.
6. The pressure regulation sytem is far less fragile than on some other inexpensive pressure cookers.
7. It is a fraction of the cost of most stainless steel cookers, and will cook at least as well if not better than most.

The downsides:
1. It is aluminium which is easier to damage than steel, putting away leaving water in the base will cause pitting for instance, avoided by drying it.
2. It may stain - but this can be cleaned off.
3. It has to be hand washed.
4. There is no pressure quick release, you use the cold water method.

There may be other pros & cons, but these stick out. I also have WMF stainless steel cookers which I also recommend, but are far more expensive and heavy, but the base and lid minus the handle are dishwasher safe. Both designs do the job - what more can you ask.
on 6 October 2009
I had one years ago, got rid when i had a halogen hob, i went for the same as then because it is simplicity itself and holds a good quantity of food.
on 22 March 2013
It's a little large for just 2 people. It's a little heavy for elderlies. It's a little scary if you've not used a pressure cooker before. But these trivialities melt into oblivion when set against the wonderful advantages of fast, economical cooking and luscious taste and texture retention. My wife loves it for making jams and marmalades.
I should have bought one years ago!
on 12 May 2010
I have just replaced my Prestige Hi Dome Pressure Cooker - have had two during my 50 years of marriage - it was time for a new one and again highly satisfied with the product.
on 13 April 2009
This is great for cooking soups, stew or ham joints quickly. I bought this one for my daughter because the one I have had for 20 years is still going strong.
on 28 May 2009
Having ' borrowed ' my mum's old pressure cooker for years I thought it was time to give it back!! I read all the options and this one seemed the best one for a family.
I can't recommend it enough, big enough to do a huge gammon steak, yet quick and easy when making my veggie daughter her soups.
It's easy to use, easy to clean. It's a solid all rounder I couldn't do without.
My mum is now after a smaller model!!
on 24 August 2013
once pressure is reached I find it hard to keep the maintaining pressure even....I find that it has spurts of loud hissing which means that I have to keep adjusting the hotplate to account for this ....in short you have to be in the proximity to be able to deal with this ...
on 10 April 2016
My mother had one of these when I was a child. That must be 40 or 50 years ago. That old pressure cooker has been in my household for nearly 30 years and is finally showing its age. Even with new seals it still doesn't really pressurize properly and the bakelite handles are starting to disintegrate. So, much as I hate replacing old things with new versions, I bought this one a few months ago; for the sake of marital harmony.

To my delight, the design has changed little in half a century, the build quality is excellent, it looks well and it makes really good soups in next to no time. If it lasts until 2066 I shall be very pleased. Or (more likely) dead.

I am pleased to report that the old model has not been thrown away, it has been demoted to the status of large saucepan.