5.0 out of 5 stars blu ray IS better than the DVD and here's why :
Published 20 months ago by Johan RF

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice SFX, pity about the story...
Published on 1 Jun 2006 by Teemacs

5.0 out of 5 stars blu ray IS better than the DVD and here's why :, 25 Nov 2012
Ok so some people did not understand the way this film was shot. It was SUPPOSED to be grainy and gritty. The film I will not review apart from to say I think its superb and a very different take on the story with the focus on the personal human desperation and emotions with the acting being top notch. The blu ray version offers one thing above the DVD in spades ( as they usually do ) and that is colour saturation and depth. The DVD has washed out colours and a rather 2D feel, the HD version gives a greater depth of field in many shots and hence is well worth the purchase. The HD audio is also obviously much better than the DVD audio if you have a half decent home cinema amp. I really do not understand those who rate down a movie because its not like something else ( ie the previous version of the movie or the book ) , this stands on its own and Tom Cruise ( who has been ordinary in many movies of late ) is brilliant. RECOMMENDED.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense....,, 17 Aug 2012
This review is from: War Of The Worlds (2 Disc Special Edition) [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
I don't understand why so many people hated this film.....I loved it. It was full of stunning action and effects that I couldn't believe it. I watched this film a few days ago on Telivision and I was very impressed and have resently ordered this film from amazon as I really want to watch it again. The first time I watched this film was on one Christmas eve and I can remember being terrified because of how intense it was but watching it again I wasn't scared but I still loved it so much. I thought that everything was good about this film and I especially liked the effects as they were very realistic and I was stunned by how good they were. I can remember being terrified of the way people got zapped because there was a grey dust and the dead peoples' clothes floating in the air! It was a great film although I don't think that everyone would enjoy it as it's about aliens invading the earth and some people might not be interested. In the remaining paragraphs I will be telling you everything about this film. Enjoy....!

Firstly, I will be telling you about the effects of this film. I really loved the effects in this film. They were very realistic and I think would scare many people. When the people get zapped, they explode into a clowd of dust with there clothes floating in the air. I can remember being terrified of this film when I first watched this and I think that the mane reason for this was because of how realistic the effects were. This would have to be one of my favourite Sci-fi films of all time. I just loved it so flipping much and I can't understand why so many people gave it 1 star; unbelieveable!

Also, I really liked the acting for this film. Tom Cruise was stunning in it and I think that he is the mane reason why the film workes. He is very realistic in it and I thought that he was just incredible and is deffinately one of the greatest actors of all time. I also liked everyone else who starred in this film but for me Tom Cruise stood out.

So to conclude, I really liked this film and it was very exciting and intense. I was on the edge of my seat for the whole film and I didn't want it to finish. I honestly can not believe why so many people have given this film one star because I thought that it was amazing! I can't wait to watch this film again.

By 11 year old, The Demon.

4.0 out of 5 stars On balance a successful modern take on the classic H.G. Wells story, 3 July 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
Initially I was quite cautious about this film, whilst I respect Tom Cruise I'm not a huge fan in general. I was also worried that the CGI SFX would take precedence over the story, and it might not work set in a modern day environment (the novel was published around 1898) Don't expect a line for line faithful reproduction of the book (neither was the 1953 film), but it does follow the general story effectively.

Fortunately the film is good, and the performances of the cast are solid on every level. Cruise does a decent job as Ray Ferrier the divorced Dad who take his two children for the weekend when the invasion begins. We get just about the ideal narrator in the form of Morgan Freeman. Supporting cast has Dakota Fanning playing daughter Rachel Ferrier, it's nice to see Tim Robbins as Harlan Ogilvy the insane man whom the Ferriers end up hiding out with. No complaints with any of the cast strong all round.

Steven Spielberg provides strong direction, no doubt his experience pays off, and this time he's resisted the urge to tone things down too much. It's not super violent by any means, but the invasion itself and subsequent destruction of people and buildings can't be avoided due to the story.

SFX are excellent with some good camera work and the tripods are convincing in their appearance. Some of the lasers turning people into dust is very well done and the film is visually strong. One of the reasons it works for me is the screenplay and script holds up well, it would be easy to slip into ho hum acting and dialogue, trying to distract the audience with gloss and shine but lacking depth. Thankfully that's been avoided here the CGI adds to the film rather than propping it up. John Williams provides the soundtrack another pair of safe experienced hands.

H.G. Wells has provided the backbone story which is clever and satisfying in the conclusion. The invasion by the aliens is overpowering and devastating, just like the novel. The humans are seemingly at the mercy of the invaders their technology unable to even slow down the attacks, but they have overlooked something very simple which ultimately will wield the most powerful blow.

I'm a huge fan of the book, it's a well deserved Science Fiction masterpiece by a forward thinking author. Both films do take some liberties with the conversion to screen, however I think both are also deserving of a viewing. I enjoyed the film (as I do the older film) in their own right.

A solid view for sci-fi fans, and a good family film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 6 July 2013
Unusual to see Tom Cruise playing an "ordinary" guy,compleate with generation-gap issues with his children.He excelled in the role,bringing a vulnerability to his performance not often seen as he is mostly cast as the tough-guy action hero.
The film has all the superb special effects and cgi"s you would expect from a Spielberg production: he uses the tools that are available to a film-maker to optimium effect.
An enthralling version of H.G.Wells classic sci-fi novel.
P.S. It was clever of Speilberg to include in a walk-on part two of the original stars from the 50"s versionWar Of The Worlds - Dvd [1953].

5.0 out of 5 stars war of the worlds, 22 Oct 2012
The sound quality on blue-ray is amazing, not a great picture quality but this is how it was filmed / intended, overall a great movie, def get the blue-ray version

4.0 out of 5 stars Appropriately Apocalyptic, 15 April 2010
Trevor Willsmer (London, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
War of the Worlds is not among Spielberg's very best work and it does suffer initially from a necessarily bland opening and Cruise's unbelievability as a working Joe, but it does go to far darker places than you'd expect from a Summer blockbuster: whereas in the novel the hero causes the death of the curate hiding with him by accident, Spielberg goes much further here in a scene that makes surprisingly chilling use of Hushabye Mountain. The scenes of destruction are genuinely apocalyptic, with the chaos unravelled in surprisingly long and ambitious takes that don't draw excessive attention to their technique. Spielberg offers some nice emotional touches, not least the look of pride on Cruise's face as his son helps people struggling onto the ferry (not overplayed or highlighted, just there) and even pulls off the ending, always a problem but here solved by visually referencing The Searchers (although I could have done without Gene Barry and Anne Robinson's clumsy cameo or Morgan Freeman's lacklustre narration).

For all its many changes from the novel, this succeeds surprisingly well as an adapatation (Wells himself felt the novel out of date by the time the various proposed earlier film versions from silent cinema through to the 40s were proposed): it may not have quite the 50s Technicolor appeal of George Pal's classic version nor anywhere near as iconic alien hardware, but it's got more than enough going for it to stand on its own three tripods.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Master Class in Action Movies, 4 Jan 2006
By A Customer
In War of the Worlds. Spielberg shows us that he can still do great action movies. The tension rises at the start and never flags till the end. The effects are superb too, and unlike many Spielberg films this has a grisly edge (not suitable for young children). Many of the reviews posted here criticise the film, I think they are missing the point. This is action adventure done very well. Sure the storyline is them running away from bad aliens, but it is tense and scary throughout. Dakota Fanning is annoying - on scream mode - and the ending is weak - just like the original 1899 book. Indeed, the book is not one of HG Well's best, and this film pretty much shares its weaknesses. But for two hours of big budget excitment and danger, you won't see much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Remake. Worthy of the Original, 9 July 2005
I went to see this expecting a hollywood mullering of a classic film. What I got was a brilliant film following the basic plot of the original but with new twists here and there.
This is a brilliant film that I will certainly go and see again and will be placing my order for the DVD as soon as possible.
Buy it on DVD by all means but you must see it in the cinema once to get the full effect.
10/10.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice SFX, pity about the story..., 1 Jun 2006
Teemacs (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
One day (he said hopefully) someone will make WOTW the way it was written, in Victorian England, with the British Empire at the height of its powers (but relatively primitive by today's standards) confronted with a vastly superior technology and without the imagination to cope (back then, science fiction as a literary genre was Wells and Jules Vernes and that was about all). I found this a weak effort, which proved that Dakota Fanning could scream very well but not much else. Probably (just) worth it for the SFX; it was pleasing to see at last Wells's tripod monsters strutting the landscape (it was beyond the ability of George Pal in 1953 to create effectively, which is why he chose the hovering machines). The definitive version remains to be filmed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The War to end All Wars..., 2 July 2005
davyboyuk (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Synopsis: Ray Ferrier (Cruise) is blue-collar, working class Dock Worker in New Jersey. Estranged from his wife (Otto) and to kids Rachel (Fanning) and Robbie (Chatwin), Ray reluctantly agrees to look after his kids one weekend. But, during a freak lightning storm, all electrical items stop work, and a hole has appeared in the middle of a busy street. Suddenly, the ground caves in, and a 200ft Tripod emerges from the ground, and begins to incinerate everything and everyone in its path. It's a fight for survival, as Ray tries desperately to get his kids to safety.

Review: After following this movie, from its initial production, to release, one could say I was almost obsessed. That may be so. But the wait was well and truly worth it. Spielberg considers this the third in his "trilogy". First he have us "Close Encounters" back in the 70's, "E.T" in the eighties, and now, he's bringing us the War to end all Wars! No cute and cuddly aliens phoning home here. Based on the classic sci-fi novel by H.G Wells, the setting has moved from Victorian england, to New Jersey, USA today. Most people would think that would be highly ridiculous. I did. But after seeing it, I was left breathless.

This isn't your conventional alien invasion movie. The film is told through the eyes of Ferrier and his family, and surprisingly, the special effects take a back seat. Altho, the set pieces are dazzling, and the special effects ARE incredible. As soon as the first fighting machine emerges from the ground, you know you are about to experience a white-knuckle ride of emotions, fear and danger. The Tripods are huge, armed with heat-rays, and truly look like some huge mechanical animal. They stomp and blast their way across america, causing chaos, death and destruction. The scene involving a Ferry, and an underwater tripod is heart-stopping, and you see just how savage these invaders are. The designs are amazing, and you will be left breathless!

Which brings me to how graphic this movie actually is. This has to be, the most violent and disturbing film Spielberg has done. The body count is enough to rival a stallone movie, with countless deaths happening towards the beginning. I would definately advise a screening before you consider taking children to see it. Seeing dead bodies floating down a river in dozens is enough to frighten anyone, especially a child.

There are several elements of the book still kept in, so we do get to see some red weed! However, for the new movie, it has a grotesque way of being fertilised! I shall say no more.

My only Gripe, is Tim Robbins. Usually, a fantastic actor, I felt he was totally wasted in this movie. Firstly, he was called Ogilvy (who is an astonomer in the novel), who is an ex-paramedic/security guard who has gone mad and is lurking in his basement as the war wages on outside. But, it felt as though Spielberg had tried to cram so many elements of the book in, he came across as three characters in one! The Curate, The Artilleryman, and of course, Ogilvy. This made the character annoying, unbearable, but somehow, managed to capture the essence of insanity in a crisis.

There are plenty of nods to the 1953 George Pal "War of the Worlds" with a creepy basement scene involving a martian camera! And the ending is lifted straight from the original movie! Those who have read the book, or seen the '53 movie, will know how the film ends. It did feel rather rushed. One minute, we were faced with an exciting, action packed sequence, then it was all over. Fan's won't be disappointed, but for new-comers, the ending might feel a bit tacked-on, and not really do the rest of the movie any justice.

Over all, Spielberg has not disappointed, and Fans and newbies are sure to love the top-notch special effects, explosive action sequences, and the human emotion as refugees flee across the states to safety.

War Of The Worlds (2 Disc Special Edition) [2005] [DVD]