5.0 out of 5 stars Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs, 27 April 2005
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Redemption Songs [Us Import] (Audio CD)
For their latest release, Jars of Clay decided to take some hymns and give them the Jars treatment. They included some well known and some obscure songs. The result is wonderful.
The well known and loved hymns included are not the most recorded, with the exception of "It is Well with My Soul." Also included are almost country versions of "Nothing but the Blood" and "I'll Fly Away" and a light rock version of "I Need Thee Every Hour." The CD closes with the classic "They'll Know We are Christians by Our Love."
The rest of the tracks on this CD are made up of old songs that have been forgotten by the modern church. I'm glad of the reminder because they are great songs. "Let Us Love and Sing and Wonder" is another great hymn by John Newton. The refrain from "God Will Lift Up Your Head" will get stuck in your head very easily. "God Be Merciful to Me" is a great song of repentance. "Hiding Place" finds the singer running to God for strength and protection, and "O Come and Mourn with Me Awhile" is a forgotten song about the crucifixion.
As I said earlier, each of these songs gets a Jars makeover. The songs you might already know get a little twist that makes them seem new. Several of the unremembered songs have new music completely written by Jars of Clay. Over all, this CD fits their style well and I had to look up several songs to make sure that the words and music weren't written by the group.
While it took me a few listens to full get this CD, I love it now. It focuses your thoughts and God and assists in worshipping Him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very uplifting, turned up high in the car!, 4 April 2010
M. Huysmans (NL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Redemption Songs [Us Import] (Audio CD)
This is my third Jars of Clay album, and I was a bit doubtful at first: I like Christian music, when it is subtle, like Bruce Cockburn and Daniel Lanois, and yes Jars of Clay. But an album full of hymns? A YouTube clip "Nothing but the Blood of Jesus" made me take the risk, and I have not regretted it for a moment. There is nothing corny or sedate about the way JoC interpret the traditional hymns. Instead, the album is extremely joyful and uplifting. I enjoy it most playing it very loud in the car and singing along with all my breath.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 8 Dec 2008
Ms. Karen Allen (East Kilbride, Glasgow United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Redemption Songs [Us Import] (Audio CD)
This was my introduction to Jars of Clay. Beautiful album, where the guys have taken some old hymns and modernised them. One of my favourite tracks is "Nothing but the blood of Jesus". It's sung in such an upbeat way that it fills me with joy! (It also makes difficult for me to sing the orthodox version in church...lol)

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful album, 15 Jun 2008
F. Bottrall - See all my reviews
This review is from: Redemption Songs [Us Import] (Audio CD)
This is my first experience of Jars Of Clay and I love it. I love the fact that Psalm 51 is from the KJV and they have taken old hymns and revived them, with a mix of country and acoustic rock. It makes for a perfect present to a friend if you're not sure what Christian music they like!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome - great take on Hymns, 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: Redemption Songs (MP3 Download)
Generally Jars of Clay stay quite true to all the hymns in this album, some
of the songs are amazingly uplifting... i.e. "God will lift up your head" (more upbeat)
and "Hiding place" (more mellow), let me know the rest that is found in Jesus.

Redemption Songs [Us Import]
Redemption Songs [Us Import] by Jars Of Clay (Audio CD - 2005)