4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect.
Over the years I have had a Megadrive, Amiga CD32, PS1, Gamecube and now the Xbox 360. I am not a fanboy nor am i loyal to one brand. I make my purchasing decisions on the games I like playing and what friends have, so that I can swap games later down the line. I have had the 360 for 16 months now and still play on it nearly every day.

To make the most out of...
Published on 21 Jun 2008 by A. J. Parkes

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 Red Rings of light, However.....................
As I am sat here today typing this review my Xbox 360 is on it's way to be repaired having shown the 3 red rings of light (death!) issue. It is a strange feeling, I thought the 3RROD was somthing that happens to other people's 360's and not mine! Clearly i was wrong but i am now left feeling somehow part of a large community that i previously was not.

I...
Published on 28 Dec 2007 by J. LEWIS

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect., 21 Jun 2008
A. J. Parkes "sekrapa" (Dudley, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Xbox 360 Console (20 GB Hard Drive) (Console)

To make the most out of it, just like the PS3, you will need a HDTV, such as an LCD and Plasma TV to display the higher resolution. Trying to watch the game on a standard TV is useless as you cannot see the text on screen and you will be missing out big time. My machine does not have the HDMI socket, so the picture comes through component cables. My TV can only display upto 1080i via HDMI and component, so am not missing out on resolution, it just means instead of 1 small lead, I have a larger lead splitting into 5 smaller leads, no problem because they are hidden at the back.

The positive points:
The graphics are superb when compared to my previous consoles. Oblivion is amazing with the wide open space where you do whatever you want, no linear gameplay. Gears of War, Halo and Call of Duty 4 are stunning.
The controller is easy to hold and use, with the numerous buttons. Sometimes you can forget what buttons do what if you keep changing games, but you soon remember. The rumble feature on the pad is essential. It was there on the PS1 and GameCube, so have been used to it. The games make full use if this feature, and it does make a huge difference in playing. Sony take note, please start shipping the PS3 with the rumble joypad!
The online experience is great. You can download demos, trailers, games with ease. You can also talk to friends and invite them to games you are playing. It is far more fun playing against another human rather than computer AI.

The negatives are:
Boy is it noisy. It is not so much the fans, but the DVD drive. When there is no disc is the drive, you can hear the fans, but they are not that loud. However, insert a game disc and it sounds like its ready to take off. A cheap DVD drive probably is to blame.
Online play. Although a plus, the minus is it costs and extra 40 per year. This however is a small price to play for a good fast service. The other drawback is the trash talk from little brats. The verbal abuse you can get when you beat them is unbelievable, and sometimes there is swearing as well.
Reliability is an issue. I have sent mine for repair for the dreaded RROD. It was all back repaired within 8 days and there is a 3 year warranty, but it is still an issue wandering whether it will break down again.

I made the right decision in buying one and would recommend the system if you can see through the faults, because the gaming experience you get will out way the negatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing short of stunning., 11 Dec 2005
This review is from: Xbox 360 Console (20 GB Hard Drive) (Console)
After 3 solid years of XBox Live, I felt the novelty was begining to wear off, at last, perhaps I will have some time to take up a hobby on the weekend !! How wrong I was. I now realise the only reason for the lack of new features was due to the fact that the top developers were putting all of their time into making this magical machine.
The console itself is very neat, not nearly as big as the XBox (as many people were worried about), very good looking, and not nearly as loud as discribed.
The cost, at £280 for a premium pack that includes so much, is a VERY competitive price, I look back remembering that I paid £300 notes for the first XBox, which did not include a headset or remote.
Using the console can be a little fraustrating at first, but this will only affect the die hard XBox fans, such as booting up a game from the machine being switched off, you can sit there through the cut-scenes shouting at your controller as to why it won't skip, and then you realise you didn't turn the controller on....
And if you're playing old games such as Halo2, you will be bashing a blank space on the game pad trying to press white or back to see the scores.
I have Perfect Dark 0 and Project Gotham 3. These games are superb, if you're looking for something new, then this is the place to find it. Gotham has had a mini overhaul, and while the in-car views are nothing short of dazzling, they can be difficult to drive the car, but not to worry, online, you can FORCE everyone in your room to play with that view and manual gears if you so wish. You might lose your friends fast though :)
And finally, if you're thinking of waiting to buy a PS3, I recommend you reconsider your next gen console. Seeing as the consumers have not yet seen a REAL PS3 working, you can be certain it's not going to be released until this time next year. It will also cost a packet with the kind of features they're planning, and if you keep up with the gaming news, you'll also see many Playstation loyal developers are being forced to move and support either XBox or Nintendo due to the sheer costs Sony are outlining that it will cost to develop a game, meaning many of those Japanese games that some people buy the PS for, will no longer be available.
If you are reading this with the mind of buying a new console and are not convinced with the XBox, ask yourself a few things. Do you have broadband? Not something that should affect the buying of a console, but if you're not sure, and don't have broadband, I would advise you to look a bit more at the console.
However, if you do own a broadband package, make no hesitation in buying XBox360. The online side of this thing is for lack of a better word, perfect. The online reputation scheme keeps people in shape, and if it doesn't, you will only meet them once as when people have a bad rep, they play other people with a bad rep, the system works this time.
This console is fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Things I didn't know, 8 Jan 2007
btony2 "btony2" (Newcastle, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox 360 Console (20 GB Hard Drive) (Console)
Based on the reviews here and hearsay from friends I bought an XBox 360 for the family. I thought I would post my thoughts since I discovered things about the XBox that I didn't know before buying it. Everything good that has been said here is true, and none of the negative comments were. So in no particular order for existing comment comparison :-

1. The graphics are absolutely fantastic. Even on a normal Telly, but since we bought a Philips 26F791D HDMI it is truly staggering. Especially on ordinary DVDs, (the 1080i upscaling is very good).

2. We have had no crashes, freezes or any trouble at all.

3. The wireless is very simple to setup, and once sorted is a dooddle at connecting after startup.

Stuff I didn't know before buying (and it's not all good) :-

1. It has the noisiest fan of any game station we have ever owned. It is plain LOUD and is frankly annoying when watching a DVD, gameplay is usually loud in our house anyway so you don't notice it.

2. It runs hot so you cannot enclose it completely. But we have to some extent making the noise from (1) less annoying.

3. The external power supply transformer is HUGE, and heavy, so you need a big hole to get the XBox 360, it's transformer and clear air for cooling when you are locating it.

4. The wireless controllers use 2 AA batteries in a simple clip pod underneath, so you do not need a play and charge unit per controller if you already have an AA re-charger and some rechargeable batteries. (This is definitely a cheaper option in the UK.)

5. The HDTV connection is not a HDMI connection. It uses the Red/Green/Blue PR/Pf/.. and Red/White AL/AR connection scheme so make sure your TV has that or you need new cables (more expense).

6. Some games (TopSpin etc) require PAL-60 to be set, but the XBox comes with PAL-50 by default, and in HDTV mode the PAL menu is not visible so you cannot change it unless you switch back to normal viewing. (I just saved you 2 hours of messing about - you assume it's you, or some menu setting, at least I did, before trying to get help - we used the support line and it was excellent).

Despite my last 6 comments, which are for your information, our household is thrilled with the 360 and I would heartily recommend it, hence 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make no mistakes - it's great!, 31 May 2006
Murray "Murray79" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Xbox 360 Console (20 GB Hard Drive) (Console)
Let's start things off by challenging some of the brainless things said by other reviewers about games etc. This system has been available for about 6 months. It has taken most developers YEARS to get to grips with the current generation of consoles in order to make their games look amazing. If anyone out there has a PS2 library with games from 2001 and games from 2006 then you can see the difference. I agree that at the moment most of the games on the 360 don't look quite as good as they could, but give it time - these titles will look amazing. It's already happening with games like GRAW and Hitman - Bloodmoney. They look great - and there's potential for more!

Also, there seems to be some general Microsoft bashing going on for the sake of it! I'm no great fan of the monopoly of MS but let's get this straight - they have hit the mark with the 360. The fact that Sony are, basically, ripping off the Xbox Live system for the (vastly overpriced) PS3 tells you everything you need to know about the 360's real attraction - online play! It's online where the 360 really grabs you and WONT let go! The joy of playing someone from across the other side of the planet at Quake 4 or EA Fight Night is emmense!

Overall, let me please beg you to ignore the idiots on here who probably haven't touched a 360, let alone own one to review. Yes there have been minor glitches, yes there is a way to go with the graphical quality of the games - but this system really is amazing. Oh, one last point, it might be worth holding off till nearer Xmas if you are thinking of getting one. Sony release the PS3 in Nov, and you can bet your house that Microsoft will respond with a fairly big price drop for the 360.

5.0 out of 5 stars Xbox 360: Is it worth £280?, 4 Dec 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Xbox 360 Console (20 GB Hard Drive) (Console)
Brilliant. Pure Genius. That is what i think about 360. I just played it in Bluewater, playing on Kameo (demo), Call of Duty (demo), King Kong (demo) and Project Gotham Racing 3 (full version). They were running on HD televisions, which really shows 360's power. All the demos were extremely impressive but Project Gotham Racing 3 was the best by far.
The controller is one of the best i have felt and seen - it is really comfy and fits perfectly into your hand. The controller is either wired (cheaper) or wireless (expensive) but that is the only difference between the two. There is also a noticeable green 'X' in the middle which sends you back to the main menu where you cna choose from playing DVD's, CD's or playing games.
If you buy the Core package, you will get a wired controller and a 360 for £210 but is you buy the Premium package, you get a wireless controller, a 20Gb hard drive, a headset, a media remote controller and of course a 360.
But is it worth it? Yes and No. I would extremely recommend buying one with Project Gotham and Perfect Dark Zero and a Premium Pack but not right now. There have been complaints that 360's have been very loud and are often crashing due to overheating. When Microsoft have fixed 360, dropped the price (when PS3 comes out in Spring), introduced more games and stock supplies, i would buy one! Otherwise, wait! Thanks for reading!

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 Red Rings of light, However....................., 28 Dec 2007
J. LEWIS "Jimmybeamer1979" (Wolverhampton,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox 360 Console (20 GB Hard Drive) (Console)

I purchased my 360 in March 2006 and have not had a single problem untill yesterday so the console really can stop functioning at any time.

Considering the above and the fact I have always loved Playstation I saw Call of Duty 2 in store and just had to get one and I have loved it since day one. The games (COD 4, Gears of war, Halo 3) are fantastic, the graphics, gameplay and online play via the user friendly Xbox Live cannot be explained, it is just so good.

I really would like to get a PS3 with it's Blueray and slick look, but the bottom line is at present I simply Do not want one because I don't like the games selection and online interface. I want to be made to get one to get away from a faulty consle like the 360 but I cannot get enthusiastic about PS3 even though I thought I would.

So for now I will wait for the 360 to return and hope this is a 'blip' and it will be rectified very soon. My advice from an open minded gamer is GET THIS CONSOLE, the games, community feel of online play and Xbox Marketplace make this a cut above.

I have to give 5 stars for fun but the reliability means an overall 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Xbox 360 - An Unbiased Review, 6 Mar 2007
Mr. S. E. Cross "Manchester_Man" (Manchester (UK)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox 360 Console (20 GB Hard Drive) (Console)
After reading many reviews from customers and fanboys who cannot hide their biased nature towards particular consoles I thought I would offer a final review on the Xbox 360 having owned the console since it first came out two septembers ago and more recently a Wii. I do a little bit of part time gaming journalism for a gaming website and have playtested the next generation consoles and many of their accessories so my review will be unbiased and impartial.

Console:

The console itself is pearly white and is fairly solid, the machine can be laid either flat or vertical but I would recommend lying it flat, for starters the console will have greater grip when lay flat and this is especially important when you have children as many of the Xbox 360 accessories are wired and when they snag at force it could cause the console to move (although many accessories have a wire fail safe to prevent this happening) The console comes with a 20Gb HDD which is inserted into the top of the Xbox 360, there are also slots for wireless network adaptors and other USB based accessories such as XBox Live cameras/USB memory sticks and other devices (not all will work so please consult the manual/official website) There are two memory ports which will allow you to take your gaming on the go, in a response to Mrs. L. WEST "Gaming Mad Family" I too share your frustration over Xbox 360's breaking down but I wish to clarify this matter, the problem in which the lady speaks of involves 1st generation Xbox360's particularly the Premium Edition. These problems concerned the console often overheating or undergoing hardware failures, this problem has been rectified and I would like to point out that most consoles have problems at launch (Wii Mote straps etc) so the PS3 will not be immune from this and therefore this should not be considered as a reason for not purchasing this machine. This console is also partially customizable with a removable face plate allowing you to spice up your console to reflect your personalty, the wiring that comes with the console whether it be Premium or Basic is I must say dreadful, the powerbox is nearly the length and half the width of the console itself and therefore should be placed in an open and well ventalated area. Most of these factors simply come down to common sense, I wouldn't recommend placing your console in a TV cabinet for example as this will cause the console to overheat easily.

Xbox Live:

Xbox Live is the main weapon in the Xbox arsenal and is it's greatest source of strength. Xbox Live is your gateway into an online community which has been growing and expanding for over 5 years, once you have joined Live (with a gold account) you can play against gamers from all over the world, make friends, join clans, participate in tournaments, download additional game content and videos and many more features beside. The system is based around Microsoft Points (idential to Wii Points) They can be either purchased online via Xbox Live or bought in prepaid cards from any good retailer. Xbox 360 comes ready for internet use straight from the box and it is relatively simple to connect to Xbox Live, even easier if you are wireless.

Games:

As The Xbox 360 is now into it's second stage of it's lifespan it is beginning to benefit from developers having worked on their hardware for longer and this in turn is resulting in a better calibre of games on offer. Some of the games on offer and to look forward too are Gears of War, Rainbow Six Vegas, GRAW2, Forza Motorsport, Fable 2, Halo 3, GTAIV, Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway and many more. These games are truely next generation experiences and some are exclusive to Xbox 360. Xbox Live also has it's own offer of unique, fun and simple games which you can download. Some of these are old classics revamped and brought to life such as Pacman and Paperboy, others are games from small developers or unique offerings which are better suited to Xbox Live such as Geometry Wars, Sensible World of Soccer and Alien Hominid HD, Xbox Live even downloads demo's of these games for free as soon as they are released so that you can experience them for yourself before purchasing.

Accessories:

At present there is a handful of Xbox 360 accessories which are available, these range from the excellent (yet underutilized) Xbox Live Vision camera to your standard range of gadgets like memory cards. You can also purchase 3rd party accessories and even use accessories of your own such as digital cameras and USB memory sticks (once again consult the manual/official website to see what is compatable with the Xbox 360) You can also link your Xbox 360 to your PC and if you have Windows Media Centre you can benefit from a whole new world of interactive entertainment.

High Definition:

At the time of writing the Xbox 360 has now had an update which allows it to operate at 1080i, the native resolution for High Definition. This means that games can now operate to maximum HD resolution and providing your lucky enough to own a HD TV you can benefit from next generation visual quality with your games.

The Future:

With the PS3 launch imminent Microsoft has been keen to stress the advantages of the Xbox 360, both consoles are destined to become excellent machines and both have advantages and disadvantages to each other. Now that the Xbox 360 has recovered from it's early set backs of hardware failures the console is a reliable machine. Providing the machine is placed in a caring and open spaced area it is quiet and looks nice in any home entertainment set up which you might have. There is so much I could have included in this review but there is always the danger you can saturate a person with information, the console has a bright future, probably the brightest of the next generation consoles. The great games on the horizon have been matched by increasing 3rd party support (notably from Konami and Capcom) Metal Gear Solid may eventually be winging it's way to this white box of joy. The HD-DVD player (sold seperately) is an excellent device for those wishing to experience high definition movies without having it forced upon you as in the case of the PS3 and Blu-Ray. Xbox Live will soon be expanding further to allow gamers to download your favourite TV shows, music videos and full theatrical films. New accessories are being released such as the larger 120GB HDD and the 512Mb memory card to allow you to meet your needs (a huge complaint with the Xbox 360 was the lack of memory in the HDD once you account for the emulator which allows you to play Xbox games)

I hope this review was helpful to you, many people feel emotional ties to developers and to past consoles, but don't let the fanboys fool you with incorrect facts and statements. The Xbox 360 is a wonderful machine, and is a must have in any home.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply awesome, 2 Jan 2006
This review is from: Xbox 360 Console (20 GB Hard Drive) (Console)
I finally have it after all that pre order nonsense! A xbox 360 (yee haa!!)with PGR3 and I also bought CALL OF DUTY 2 just incase pgr got a bit boring and I have to say I haven't been able to stop playing it. The graphics are superb in both games, truly next gen, the way everything is textured and vibrant with colour is immense, I found myself stopping in both games just to admire the detail. If any one has or has seen gran turismo 4(on the ps2) the gt40 in the intro movie is a mere glimse of what this baby can do and the intensity of COD2 is crazy, its as close to war as anyone would want to get. I was going to get a hd t.v some time in the near future but to be honest I may settle for a vga cable as I already have a 20" l.c.d and the pictures are awesome on it with the standard video jack you get out of the box.
Everything is customisable and I especially like the gamerscore feature on your xbox profile, it gives you points for achieving various goals within the games you have e.g. get all gold medals in PGR3 and you get 150 points or complete training in CALL OF DUTY to receive some more, theres roughly 20 achievements per game so you'll always have some sort of challenge so when you eventually go online peeps can see how good you are (or not as the case may be lol)I have a psp which connects to the system via the usb ports and the same goes for digital camerers i-pods e.t.c.
My only concern is that when I first got the console I set it up in my cabinet where my old ps2 used to sit. On the second day of using it, it crashed(although I'd been on it for some time). A common fault with the old xbox due to over heating. I now have it on my desk well ventillated and its working great, it gets warm at the most. The positives of this console truly overshadow the negatives and I can only see the ps3 matching the 360's capabilies. Its got to be seen to be believed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great when theres no problems..., 13 Sep 2007
M. Graham (heywood, lancashire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox 360 Console (20 GB Hard Drive) (Console)
This is my second 360 hence the 4 stars my first one stopped reading the discs after a couple of weeks amazon picked it up and gave me a new one in two days great service as it was in there 30 day return guarentee.
Anyway the new one is ok so far as i have kept it upright and well vented
the graphics on some games are outstanding i have a hd tv on 1080i and the console set to this with the hd av lead the sound is great too just through my telly.The dvd is great i watched lord of the rings and the picture sound was amazing,some reviews have said the console is noisy i have had no problems with this when the console boots up and the game starts it i can hear it then it goes quiet once you start playing, on dvds there is no noise at all.X box live is good there is loads of demos so you can try before you buy which is a good thing.Overall this is a good piece of kit that has a few teething troubles but the graphics and the fun factor from the games more than makes up for this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Apsolutly amazing, 29 July 2006
Ben Horne "Ben Horne" (Serious Gamer in Reading) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox 360 Console (20 GB Hard Drive) (Console)
Firstly this is an excellent console the amount of feautres available is unbelieve and not always explained to you when you first look at it or buy it.

Few bad points i will point out though. The accesories or expensive such as the wireless bridge needed if you have wireless internet and the subsciption. Also the playa nd charge kits other controllers sound systems faceplates, all the things which make this amazing come at a considerable cost

My brother for example said he would rather the PS3 i have certainly changed his mind and the PS3 dosnt sound as good and cocsts more and you have to wait! So if i was you i'd wouldn't wait and get the Xbox 360 NOW!!! Do not delay

Xbox 360 Console (20 GB Hard Drive)
Xbox 360 Console (20 GB Hard Drive) by Microsoft (Xbox 360)
Used & New from: 50.00