5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!
Until a year ago I never ventured further than the music of John Rutter. Perchance I heard a track on a promo CD taken from Jenkins' The Armed Man. The music just seemed to capture me and not let me go. So, now to the Requiem. I am listening to it as I write. I have just ordered the SATB score. Does that say enough? This music is simply giving me goosebumps. I cannot...
Published on 26 May 2005 by N. P. Lamb

3.0 out of 5 stars A few good pieces, but still somewhat dissapointing.
Published on 2 April 2005 by Mr. M. Cockcroft

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Judge To Quickly, 21 April 2008
This review is from: Karl Jenkins - Requiem (Audio CD)
As a fan of Adiemus and The Armed Man I bought this CD and immediately dismissed it as not up to his previous standards. Last weekend I went to hear The Armed Man performed live in Liverpool, and was immediately struck by parts in this score I hadn't previous noticed or appreciated. With this in mind I decided to give this CD another chance. I can only say that I am so glad I did for I have played it over several times and am really warming to it. I urge those who have dismissed this work as inferior, do as I have done, and give it another listen - you may be surprised!

4.0 out of 5 stars A highly novel Requiem, 24 Oct. 2012
Dr. H. A. Jones "Howard Jones" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Karl Jenkins - Requiem (Audio CD)
This is my favourite Jenkins composition because to me it hangs together better than the other works of his I have heard. The Introit is quite beautiful, the Dies Irae suitably terrifying, and this is followed, somewhat incongruously it would seem, by a Japanese haiku, The Snow of Winter. The Rex Tremendae is too repetitive for my liking but again the Confutatis that follows is lovely. Four more haiku follow with quite lovely movements from the conventional Requiem in between. The whole structure, though highly unconventional, works for me. The use of Japanese string and woodwind instruments for the haiku adds to the atmosphere.

There is another unique composition on this CD: In These Stones Horizons Sing. The words were written by three Welsh poets, the work is sung in English and Welsh and is performed by Bryn Terfel (bass-baritone), Catrin Finch (harp) and Nigel Hitchcock (soprano saxophone) together with the choirs of Côr Caerdydd a Cytgan and Serendipity and the West Kazakhstan Philharmonic Orchestra, who also perform the Requiem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning piece of music, 25 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Karl Jenkins - Requiem (Audio CD)
This is a difficult piece of music to review, as it's so diverse within itself. Overall it leaves me moved, breathless, longing to hear it again. It's original, stunning and really very special.

There are a couple of minor downsides and they are these:
It's slightly 'easy listening' on occasion
The soprano section of the choir isn't quite what it should be, and their entries, pianissimo moments, and higher notes sometimes leave one's nerves jangling - they're a bit 'nails on blackboard' on occasion
There are a couple of pieces which work less well.

However there are some absolutely beautiful pieces here that I just can't stop listening to, for instance Pie Jesu and Lacrimosa are spine tingling, amongst several others.

I'd definitely recommend this for your collection - it'll sit on the edge of the classical section in a realm all of its own.

3.0 out of 5 stars A few good pieces, but still somewhat dissapointing., 2 April 2005
Mr. M. Cockcroft "M Cockcroft" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Karl Jenkins - Requiem (Audio CD)
There were a few good pieces in this one, but , speaking as a big Adiemus fan; I found it to be a dissapointing follow-up to Jenkins' superlative work in Adiemus. This music is a very different and more classical style than Adiemus, which is to be expected, but Jenkins' melodic and compositional talent does not shine through as much as in his adiemus work. There were still a number of great pieces that were enjoyable, particularly 'Introit', 'Dies Irae' and 'Agorawd'. The haiku's were the most dissapointing thing about this albumn, and I didn't much care for the singer's voice in these pieces, who's japanese singing technique seemed a tad contrived for my liking, and ended up being annoying. However, it was worth buying nonetheless, as there was some good music here. Just not Jenkins' best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Recycled Armed Man, 9 Jun. 2012
UK Scribe (Bromley Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Karl Jenkins - Requiem (Audio CD)
If you like Karl Jenkins you'll like this. That's because the best bits of the two works on the disc sound like Adiemus meets The Armed Man. Nothing new or very challenging. In fact the more I listen to it, the more the last section of In These Stones Horizons Sing sounds exactly like Charge from The Armed Man.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, sublime moments, 4 May 2013
J. Holden "John Holden" (Hindhead, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Karl Jenkins - Requiem (Audio CD)
Bought the CD to learn and practice the Requiem's choral parts, and discovered the harp solo in In Paradisum - it's exquisite. As well as the Requiem, the CD has 'In These Stones Horizons Sing', composed for the opening of the Welsh Millenium Centre, and featuring Bryn Terfel and the same harpist, Catrin Finch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Requiem Jenkins, 7 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Karl Jenkins - Requiem (Audio CD)
Everyone has heard the original Adiemus track by Karl Jenkins, mainly because of a Delta airlines advertisement initially. However in my opinion the this CD does not live up to the earlier promise, and I feel that Jenkins was something of a "one-hit wonder".

5.0 out of 5 stars First heard this live this year and the recording is excellent. If you like this try his 'Armed Man', 11 May 2015
Anthony A. Turner (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Karl Jenkins - Requiem (Audio CD)
Karl Jenkins is the most approachable modern composer. He actually writes tunes and melody. Very sympathetic scoring for voice and orchestra. First heard this live this year and the recording is excellent. If you like this try his 'Armed Man', the brass version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spine tingling music, 8 Jun. 2009
D. Megson (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Karl Jenkins - Requiem (Audio CD)
This music was new to me. I caught it on the radio and actually stopped my car in a lay-by to make sure I caught the composer's name. I was very pleased with the recording and pleased with the service as I did not have to wait long for it to arrive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Karl Jenkins - Requiem, 27 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Karl Jenkins - Requiem (Audio CD)
I have other CDs of Karl Jenkins work and although I like this work it did not immediately hit me as some of his other compositions have. However playing the CD in the car I find I have grown to appreciate the work much more than in the beginning.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Karl Jenkins - Requiem
Karl Jenkins - Requiem by Karl Jenkins (Audio CD - 2005)