5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful movie
Published on 11 Nov 2003 by Kurt A. Johnson

1.0 out of 5 stars would not play wrong region
Really disapointed it was a gift for my Granddaughters Birthday. Heidi is her all time favourite and she was gutted thet it didn't play.
Published 22 months ago by mary doreencampion

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful movie, 11 Nov 2003
Kurt A. Johnson (Marseilles, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heidi [VHS] [1937] (VHS Tape)
When eight-year-old Heidi (played by Shirley Temple) is orphaned, her maternal Aunt Dete (Mady Christians) takes her to live with her gruff and unsociable paternal grandfather, Adolph Kramer (Jean Hersholt). Through her sweetness and love, she brings the Grandfather out of his shell, and back into the company of men. Disaster strikes when Aunt Dete steals Heidi away to be the companion of a rich man's invalid daughter (Marcia Mae Jones). Showing nothing but kindness to all around her, she holds out hope that somehow she will be reunited with her grandfather and all of her friends. [Black-and-white, created in 1937, with a running time of 1 hour, 28 minutes.]
Perhaps a little saccharin compared to today's movies (thank God!), Heidi still has a powerful storyline. Combining rich dialogue with beautiful scenery, this movie even includes a sleigh-chase scene! I must also mention that this movie includes Arthur Treacher (playing Andrews the Butler), one of my personal favorites.
This movie is such a wonderful echo from another time. I must say that I doubt that the Hollywood of today could produce such an uplifting story, full of wonderful values. I have two children (7 and 10), and this was a great movie to watch with them, having nothing objectionable--in fact quite to the contrary. So, if you have children, then I can't recommend this movie enough!

4.0 out of 5 stars Heidi, 4 April 2007
M. G. Hatfield "trekle5" (North Wales UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heidi [DVD] (DVD)
This film is the classic story of the mountain girl who goes to the city.

Shirley Temple one of the most famous child actors of all time acts as the uneducated Heidi and this film fails to tell the full story as Heidi in the books and future films return to the mountains and Carla learns to walk if you like Temple then this film may have enough for you to make you watch but if you want the whole story the latest version if a much better choice so it really comes down who do you want Temple or Heidi.

The latest Heidi is the only version which sticks to the book more closely than the other film and version there has been even a TV series made the mistake of use the Temple film as a their guide so look for the latest version and buy it you will get the story you want I promise .

5.0 out of 5 stars Heidi DVD 1937, 18 Feb 2011
This review is from: Heidi [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this film at Christmas time on the TV about 45 years ago!! I loved it and for years after I would scan the magazines to see if it would be repeated, so I could watch it again. I had seen newer versions of Heidi, but they were just not the same!!! By chance, I looked on Amazon and saw a copy on DVD, I wondered if it would be the same one I had seen, and indeed what kind of copy it would be, I was delighted it was the same, and the quality was great, I am so happy to be able to see it again...and again

4.0 out of 5 stars Shirley Temple - Heidi, 18 April 2013
A slightly different story from what I remember as a child, in this version, Clara learned to walk again before she visited the grandfathers mountain, but I have always read that Clara learned to walk because Peter had pushed her wheel chair over the mountain. Still a good film and would even like it in black & white.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Film., 9 Feb 2014
Bought for my daughter. This is a lovely film. The story is a little different from what I have read in other books. However, acting is good, Shirley Temple is wonderful. We both enjoyed watching it together, and my daughter watched it again several times, so I am very happy with it. Prompt delivery as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heidi dvd Shirley Temple, 2 Nov 2013
Bought it for my 5yr old granddaughter. wasn't sure when I bought it but she loves it . Arrived promptly very pleased

5.0 out of 5 stars a must to see, 7 Feb 2009
L. A. Claybrough "mother of two" (Pontefract, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heidi [DVD] (DVD)
loved this film as a child, a great film for all the family a must see film. great value for money

5.0 out of 5 stars Best version of Heidi, 30 Mar 2014
Arrived within a few days of ordering. Great film. A bit grainy but only to be expected with age of the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 23 Mar 2014
Lovely little film with no gore ,horror,sex ,violence basically everything that modern films have .Made a change to watch this

5.0 out of 5 stars heidi, 21 Feb 2014
I am starting to collect all shirley temple films, I was a huge fan when I was growing up, good family viewing.

very impressed with the delivery.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Heidi [DVD]
Heidi [DVD] by Allan Dwan (DVD - 2005)