Tru Calling - The Complete Series [DVD]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£13.80+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 21 November 2010
ok so i didnt see this when it was on sky1 becuase i just cant enjoy anything that has 20 mins or so of adverts stuffed into it, which is why I no longer watch much tv these days. I still watch stuff i just prefer dvds or channels with no adverts.

Now your thinking should i get this, will it be any good, is it worth the cash. well you may not be thinking this exactly but its what i sometimes think and is also why i occasionaly read peoples reveiws so as to get an idea if somethings worth buying if i know nothing about it.

YES you should buy this, YES it is good, YES its worth the cash. In fact at a tenner this baby is going cheap guys n gals.

Issues, the only slight prob with this in a couple places for like a second there was the slightest bit of interference but nothing serious or damageing to your veiwing pleasure.

And thats what this series is VEIWING PLEASURE, i loved it.

Theres 2 seasons, season 1 is 20 episodes long and season 2 is only 6 episodes long as the series was cancelled which is an act of unthinkable stupidity as this show rocks and there wasn't a single bad episode here, i would say im shocked and surprised but this has happened to too many great shows in the last few years.

My bitter hatred of the suits responseable for cancelling this and other great shows aside you really shouldnt miss out on this as its different and great and you'll love it, I know i do ^^.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I didn't know anyone who had seen this series. In fact I had never heard of it. However I liked the basic description of the show and took a chance and bought it. This was a big risk, but in actual fact this turned out to be a good decision.
This is a really interesting series with a great concept and strong scripts. The acting and production are excellent and it is amazing that this show didn't get more attention by TV companies in the UK. It is also sadly shocking that it was axed in its prime.
If you like programmes such as Quantum Leap, Sliders,Ghost Whisperer, Medium or Buffy the Vampire slayer then you will like this.
The DVD set contains all episodes from series one and just six episodes from series two before it was axed.
The series gets off to a great start and for about five episodes the plots move nicely. Then there are a few episodes where everything was fine in terms of story and production, but seemingly and slightly repetitive and predictable. However this was proved to not be the case when it became apparent that those episodes served to give us time to get used to the characters and basic ideas. Then by episode nine it picks up again with a great twist that turns the whole concept into a more sophisticated level.

The basic plot is that the parents of Tru Davies had a gift to help dead people and Tru learns about this and discovers she can do the same when she goes to work in a morgue. Dead bodies turn to her and ask her to help them. Tru is taken back to re live the past day and attempts to change things. Other strong and important characters are her brother and her boss. Later in the series there is another character called Jack that is really important to the whole thing.

As I say there is a twist to the basic plot that adds more texture and tension and the stories really heat up. The series gets stronger and stronger and series one final episode is excellent. Then the six episodes that start the second series are some of the strongest episodes. Sadly there are no more and there are a lot of un answered story threads. It is a shame the series was axed like this because there is so much potential as to what could have happened next.
This is a great bit of modern escapism. This is a good drama and a hidden Gem of a show.
on 26 January 2010
Having purchased the Complete Buffy The Vampire Slayer I kept getting recommendations from Amazon to buy this Complete Series. I was intrigued and did a little research. I was even more impressed and bought it. The doing so made me happy and sad.

****Spoiler Alert****

I was happy because this series was really good. It had shades of Ghost Whisperer about it (interestingly this series was cancelled and the next year Ghost Whisperer began), but the twist was that rather than a dead person trying to sort out unresolved issues after their death, this show was more about those who died asking to be saved. Tru, played with great charisma by Eliza Dushku, then gets to relive the day of the dead person's death and try to save them. The initial episodes set the scene and introduced the characters around Tru who become her confidents. Then Jack Harper arrives on the scene and the show moves up a gear. The revelation of Jack's real persona shakes the foundations of Tru's new calling, as does the revelation that her own mother also did what she does. Then the viewer gets to see that Jack is in league with Tru's shady father (who also killed his own wife) and yet Tru never finds this out despite coming very close to the truth in the final episode made so far (I hope it might be resurrected). Tru's morgue pal, Davis, gains a potential girlfriend and again the viewer alone knows that Carrie is actually part of the conspiracy being played out by Tru's father and Jack.

Now comes the sad part, having built up all these fascinating plot strands and fleshed out some great characters, the best of which is easily Tru's brother, Harrison, the series got cancelled. Such a sad waste of all the wonderful plot lines that were probably devised but will never be played out. The actors played their parts with conviction and did a wonderful job, as did the "backstage" team with the music, direction, effects and everything else.

Back during Buffy I had been impressed by the feisty Miss Dushku but had a stronger allegiance to Sarah Michelle Geller. However, this didn't stop me dipping into Eliza's films Wrong Turn and Soul Survivors, both very good indeed. With Tru Calling I found myself warming much more to Eliza and I was so impressed by her that I have now got Dollhouse Season 1 to watch (and another disappointment in that season 2 has seen the cancellation of this too). I am so sad that such a beautiful, all-woman, and very engaging actress has been involved in so many shows which have come to an abrupt end and I hope she one day has a series which will be allowed to continue until it's writers decide that the time has come to stop. In the meantime I shall watch her shows and enjoy them and I know I will come back to watch this exceptional show again in the future.
on 25 December 2008
"Tru Calling" is an American Drama series that stars Eliza Dushku as Tru Davies, a young woman with a very special gift.
After her internship to medical school falls through, Tru Davies takes a job working the night shift at the city morgue. On her first shift, Tru is shocked when a dead women opens her eyes and asks for help. Tru then awakens to find herself reliving the previous day all over again, only now she has the ability to change the future. From then on, Tru devotes her time to saving the people wheeled into the morgue the night before -- if she can find them before tragedy strikes...
"Tru Calling," first and foremost, has a great idea at its core and also benefits from very smart writing and tight, suspenseful plotting. Every episode has a new exciting mystery for our heroine to unravel before it's too late, and the racing-against-time concept provides the series with most of its nail-biting tension. There is also a great supporting cast -- including Shawn Reaves as Tru's troublesome brother, Zach Galifianakis as her socially-awkward boss, Matthew Bomer as her frustrated boyfriend, and Jason Priestley, who turns up late in the first season as a mysterious co-worker who may know more about Tru than he's letting on.
This little-known series is a true gem. I discovered it by accident, after flicking channels and recognizing actress Eliza Dushku (previously seen in cult TV phenomenon "Buffy") and deciding to sit through the entire episode. I was immediately hooked and ventured out the very next day to buy the boxset, something which I have never regretted as this show really is superb.
The bad news is that the show -- for unfathomable reasons -- was cut off in its prime and cancelled during its second season. So what we have here in this boxset are the 22 episodes of season one and the 6 episodes of season two. The series was cancelled in the middle of a really great storyline which, unfortunately, we will never know the outcome of. But don't let that put you off getting this awesome little series on DVD, as the episodes that did make it to the screen really are top-notch entertainment and highly recommended.
on 2 July 2008
I absolutely loved every single episode of both seasons of Tru Calling. I've always liked Eliza Dushku from Buffy and felt she was a very likable lead as Tru, I also loved her on-screen brother, Harrison, who is a somewhat 'lovable rogue'.

With each episode of Tru calling, you feel you are there solving the mystery with Tru when her days rewind. Each episode is filling with suspense and twists and truns - many a time I felt myself shouting at the TV due to things that happened on Day 1 but not Day 2 that Tru never even discovered!

I liked the introduction of Jack Harper, the opposing force of 'Death' to Tru's 'Life'. He was cocky and cool and often frustrating but I still can't decide whether I love or hate him. A particular favourite episode of mine was on Season 2 - 'The Last Good Day' when a girl actually asks Jack for help as opposed to Tru - you get to see a bit more of a compassionate and human side to Jack, which is very nice.

The fact that Seaon 2 ends so abruptly is devastating. There are so many loose ends that need to be tied up and I felt the series had so much more going for it it seems a great pity as every epsiode hooked me I cannot understand why it was cancelled. What a shame that Tru's story will probably never be finished.

Great series - would definitely recommend, but a great tradegy about how it ends.
on 4 November 2010
Okay so i bought this being a HUGE fan of Eliza i loved her in a lot of other work. (Buffy/Dollhouse/Wrong Turn/ Bring It On) I'm Sixteen and really loved this TV Show, it's something you can't put on to fall a sleep because it keeps you awake keeping you wanting to know what is going to happen next, the only thing i didn't like was the last episode i got really excited thinking about how the episode was going to end and even though the show got cancelled i felt as if they didn't tie anything up.. kinda like Tru lost! btw this is my first review so sorry if it sucks, but i would really really TELL YOU to buy this i watch a lot of tv shows (heroes/supernatural/dollhouse/tree hill/ghost whisperer)but this is one of the first that made me want to watch the whole show (i watched the full 8 discs in 2 todays)so buy it if you don't your loss xP
on 18 August 2011
Excellent series which was quite inappropriately cancelled a few episodes into Season 2, this box set has all episodes for the two series (don't think it's just Season 1 from the title "Tru Calling S1 [DVD]"), it is as good as any other paranormal television program out there.
on 9 October 2010
Young medical student, Tru, takes job in morgue to aid studies and c.v., where she discovers extraordinary gift- those who have prematurely died can ask for help, Tru is then sent back in time with memory of events, so that she can help prevent the death taking place. later in series she finds she is not alone, when she is joined by ex paramedic, but all is not as it seems..
Thoroughly enjoyable viewing, with something for everyone, drama, suspense, thriller, comedy, romance..
on 14 October 2009
Eliza Dushku was a regular on Buffy, and got her own show to be a lead in with Tru Calling. An interesting premise about "rewinding" days when Tru (Eliza) is asked for help by someone. I actually prefer the earlier shows, as she gets to grip with what is happening. It quickly evolves, almost as fast as a Joss Whedon series! This is the set to buy, as it includes the (shortened) 2nd series. Most SF fans will enjoy, and should appeal to anyone who enjoys well written televison. It is generally is pretty well acted too, one of the fun things is to spot actors that have gone onto bigger things since this show; I won't do spoilers, but Stargate Atlantis & Chuck spring to mind without trying.... Overall, I'm glad I purchased, certainly above average TV.
on 25 September 2005
This was an excellent piece of work that unfortunately finished before it's time. In fact my only negative opinion of it is that it finished half-way through the second season, so there is no "finale" as such. The lack of closure is disappointing, but enjoy everything else about this cracking show because it is just superb